Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 02-14-2012, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: E34 525i perfect pixels
97 M3 Fully-Auto Convertible top

so...I posted a while back about not being able to fully open the auto-top after the ripchord was pulled. after engaging the latch motor further back i was able to to open the top. after extensive diagnosis i decided that the hall effect sensor had failed. upon replacing the motor (built in hall efect sensor) there was no change. I have tried to reinitialize the motors multiple times. the tonneau opens but the top never moves past that. with the led flashing and the switches all signaling my last option is the control unit. I've had trouble comm. with the CVM. I can scan it intermittently via launch diagun but ISTA says the CVM is not fitted to that car. any advice?
Ads by Google
Old 02-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Are you SURE the micro-switches are all working?

Have you tried giving the top a little push to get going? Sometimes mine stops with the front part of the top fully disconnected from the windshield, up about a foot. The tonneau cover is fully open, waiting for the next step but nothing is moving. I give it a little push and it clicks the switch and everything continues.

I'd hate for you to have to spend all this money replacing expensive stuff when it is something simple.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 02-14-2012, 02:05 PM

I'm pretty sure all the switches are working. I can read 6 out of 8 on the launch diagun. the 7th/8th appear as a single signal for the latches (open and close). They all appear to operate normally when i manually open and shut this beast. Like I siad, ISTA won't even communicate with the ECU. Short answer: No I'm not one hundred percent sure the switches are functioning properly. THe fact that the factory tool wont comm. with the ECU says alot to me. I'll try to help it a little when i get some extra hands around me and I'll reply with the results.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 328ic
which motor did you replace? since there are 3 motors total.. one to move the top up and down, one to open and close the storage lid, and another to latch the front of top to windshield frame.. did you try to re initialize the top?

1999 328ic M-TECH
"only 2 cars in my life have every survived my prolonged lead foot.. a Nissan Maxima and my BMW.."
BEHOLD THE POWER OF 3!!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custm42435 View Post
which motor did you replace? since there are 3 motors total.. one to move the top up and down, one to open and close the storage lid, and another to latch the front of top to windshield frame.. did you try to re initialize the top?
I replaced the motor for the storage lid thinking the hall sensor was not registering the lid as open. I can activate the top motor with a Launch and it runs while it is disengaged. I have tried the initialization procedure and everytime it opens the lid but the top never rises. I tried having someone help it as suggested bye petriej but to no avail.

The launch shows the CVM as storing the code for a motor shorted to ground (doesnt say which motor) but like i said I can activate the top motor and have replaced the other but that code still won't clear. I can still only communicate with some of the switches via Launch but have no comm. through ISTA. I'd like to get my hands on a pin-out of the CVM connecter to check for hi/lo with a multi-meter on each individual switch connector.

But again, the situation is: Motor sync procedure; hold down switch, turn key; lid opens all the way and top never moves.