Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > Ask-A-BMW-Dealer

Ask-A-BMW-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors from supporting BMW dealerships. Get all of your BMW pricing, ordering, buying, financing, and leasing questions answered here!

Old 12-08-2015, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: 335
About free maintenance on executive car

Hi, I am about to buying an executive car from 3rd party dealer. They bought it from auction. It is MY2015 and only 3000miles on it. It does not have title so I will be the first owner. Can I get the free maintenance plan in this case? Thank you for your answer!
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2015, 06:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3, 335GT
There must be a reason why this car isn't at a BMW dealer. Executive cars usually go to dealer-only auctions. Maybe not really an executive car? Or maybe had enough damage that a BMW dealer wouldn't want it? I would pay to have a BMW dealer check it to see if anything is wrong with the car. Usually people on this forum recommend an independent inspection, but in this case I'd go with a dealer because only a dealer can confirm the warranty and maintenance.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:32 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50

huge red flags

Caution
Caution
Caution

You have absoultey no idea aboyt the history of that car...major damage at the VPC, repairs over threshold? M who knows

Clean exec demos ALWAYS go to a bmw dealer

You've been warned
Old 12-11-2015, 09:45 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelite View Post
Hi, I am about to buying an executive car from 3rd party dealer. They bought it from auction.
In other words, this is a 3,000 mile "executive car" that has never been registered yet but it's in the hands of a "3rd party dealer" who is NOT a BMW dealer? All BMW executive cars are sold to BMW dealers who bid on them. If there is a 3,000 mile executive car that was not purchased by a BMW dealer, then I would proceed with caution, as others have already advised on this thread.

It may be possible for it to go to the auction and still not have any problems with it at all but that would be the exception. You would have to have the car inspected by a qualified body shop or someone experienced in recognizing paintwork and/or frame damage before buying a car like this. I would never, ever buy a car like this sight unseen.

Quote:
It is MY2015 and only 3000miles on it. It does not have title so I will be the first owner. Can I get the free maintenance plan in this case? Thank you for your answer!
The balance of the original BMW 4 years/50,000 miles warranty and 4 years/50,000 miles free maintenance goes with the car to the first registered owner, so the car should qualify for that unless there is "some reason" the warranty has been voided, which may or may not be a consideration. In any case, as long as the car still has its factory warranty and you're going to be the first registered retail owner, you should get both the warranty and maintenance but that's something you should verify by VIN with BMW before finalizing a deal.

I think the bottom line is that most people would be a lot more comfortable buying a car like this from an authorized BMW Center. In fact, most people would completely avoid buying such a car from a 3rd party dealer.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninong View Post
In other words, this is a 3,000 mile "executive car" that has never been registered yet but it's in the hands of a "3rd party dealer" who is NOT a BMW dealer? All BMW executive cars are sold to BMW dealers who bid on them. If there is a 3,000 mile executive car that was not purchased by a BMW dealer, then I would proceed with caution, as others have already advised on this thread.

It may be possible for it to go to the auction and still not have any problems with it at all but that would be the exception. You would have to have the car inspected by a qualified body shop or someone experienced in recognizing paintwork and/or frame damage before buying a car like this. I would never, ever buy a car like this sight unseen.

The balance of the original BMW 4 years/50,000 miles warranty and 4 years/50,000 miles free maintenance goes with the car to the first registered owner, so the car should qualify for that unless there is "some reason" the warranty has been voided, which may or may not be a consideration. In any case, as long as the car still has its factory warranty and you're going to be the first registered retail owner, you should get both the warranty and maintenance but that's something you should verify by VIN with BMW before finalizing a deal.

I think the bottom line is that most people would be a lot more comfortable buying a car like this from an authorized BMW Center. In fact, most people would completely avoid buying such a car from a 3rd party dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post

huge red flags

Caution
Caution
Caution

You have absoultey no idea aboyt the history of that car...major damage at the VPC, repairs over threshold? M who knows

Clean exec demos ALWAYS go to a bmw dealer

You've been warned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebloom View Post
There must be a reason why this car isn't at a BMW dealer. Executive cars usually go to dealer-only auctions. Maybe not really an executive car? Or maybe had enough damage that a BMW dealer wouldn't want it? I would pay to have a BMW dealer check it to see if anything is wrong with the car. Usually people on this forum recommend an independent inspection, but in this case I'd go with a dealer because only a dealer can confirm the warranty and maintenance.
Thank you guys! Now I am away from that car
Old 12-11-2015, 10:25 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelite View Post
Thank you guys! Now I am away from that car
That's probably the safest way to go.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > Ask-A-BMW-Dealer
Today's Posts Search