Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335xdrive (E90)
I must be the only person who DOES NOT think the N52 sounded good. Had a 328 loaner once, and thought the engine sounded like a cheap 4 cylinder. Smooth, sure. Even thought the power was sufficient. But the sound? I don't understand why people like it so much.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts335 View Post
I must be the only person who DOES NOT think the N52 sounded good. Had a 328 loaner once, and thought the engine sounded like a cheap 4 cylinder. Smooth, sure. Even thought the power was sufficient. But the sound? I don't understand why people like it so much.
The exhaust muffles the sound quite a bit but if you have another chance to drive an e90 328, accelerate to redline in a low gear and tell me it doesn't sound nice. In a MT version second gear acceleration sounds great.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts335 View Post
I just had a 2011 328 loaner car, and I noticed a constant whine from the engine that I don't hear on my E46. It's not an unpleasant sound, but don't think I'd want to hear that all the time, are they all like that?

The engine sounded great otherwise.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Lurker

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
I just had a 2011 328 loaner car, and I noticed a constant whine from the engine that I don't hear on my E46. It's not an unpleasant sound, but don't think I'd want to hear that all the time, are they all like that?

Did the loaner have xDrive? Based on driving 328i xDrive loaners and my dad's old E46 330xi, I've noticed that there is a whine from up front on xDrive cars that isn't present on non-xDrive cars. I assume its from the transfer case and/or front differential, but I've never bothered to track it down so I don't actually know.

Owners of xDrive-equipped vehicles seem not to really notice since the sound is always there.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsarkar View Post
First of all, let me state that N20 engine is a major feat of engineering. I cannot think of any other (non-hybrid) engine right now that sips 30+ mpg with mid-5 second 0-60 acceleration.

That said, I test drove a 328i last evening and the only thing I disliked about the car is N20. When I traded my TSX for a E90, the buttery smoothness, linear power delivery, and turbine-like wail of the naturally aspirated N52 mesmerized me (and still do). I rev the engine from a red-light just to hear it moving past 5000 rpm -- it's music to my ears.

Sadly, I sorely missed all these in the new 328i . It offers plenty of power, but does not sound good and/or feel good doing so. I think BMW has a hit in their hand with N20, but a handful of people (including me) who prefer refinement and finesse over raw performance number will always feel nostalgic for N52, the epitome of BMW's naturally aspirated straight-six awesomeness.

R.I.P. N52.
+1!!!!!! BMW's naturally aspirated inline sixes are some of the best engines of all time. BMW made its name in the U.S. on high, free reving, naturally aspirated inline six motors.

Those of you ragging on the NA inline six are a sad lot. You demonstrate your ignorance of one of the finest motors ever produced and of the past 30 years of BMW's grand history in the United States that made them what they are today here. The uber fine characteristics of the inline six are one of the main reasons that made BMW the Ultimate Driving Machine in the U.S. American enthusiasts bought BMWs BECAUSE of their inline sixes.

It wasn't very many years ago when 200+ HP was considered great power for mass production engines. Now the U.S. is all caught up in this ignorant horsepower war. It has become a contest of who has the biggest d*ck and for those who don't massive amounts of horsepower are the way they compensate.

No motor on the planet has the naturally balanced, silky smooth, linear, satisfying power delivery of an inline six cylinder. But who cares these days? Most BMW buyers don't even know about the things that make BMWs special. They think their BMW has a V6 and front wheel drive.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!

Last edited by tturedraider; 02-16-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:

The N52 has the same characteristics as the M54, except it has improved performance.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavalamp425 View Post
Did the loaner have xDrive? Based on driving 328i xDrive loaners and my dad's old E46 330xi, I've noticed that there is a whine from up front on xDrive cars that isn't present on non-xDrive cars. I assume its from the transfer case and/or front differential, but I've never bothered to track it down so I don't actually know.

Owners of xDrive-equipped vehicles seem not to really notice since the sound is always there.
Yeah, it had xDrive - that's probably what I was hearing, thanks!
Old 02-16-2012, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X535D/2011 335IS cv
Quote:

Hey! My loaner also sounded like that, 2011 328 sedan. I too got to wondering the same thing. Edit: mine did not have X-drive. Probably had been beaten up for 10,000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
+1!!!!!! BMW's naturally aspirated inline sixes are some of the best engines of all time. BMW made its name in the U.S. on high, free reving, naturally aspirated inline six motors.

Those of you ragging on the NA inline six are a sad lot. You demonstrate your ignorance of one of the finest motors ever produced and of the past 30 years of BMW's grand history in the United States that made them what they are today here. The uber fine characteristics of the inline six are one of the main reasons that made BMW the Ultimate Driving Machine in the U.S. American enthusiasts bought BMWs BECAUSE of their inline sixes.

It wasn't very many years ago when 200+ HP was considered great power for mass production engines. Now the U.S. is all caught up in this ignorant horsepower war. It has become a contest of who has the biggest d*ck and for those who don't massive amounts of horsepower are the way they compensate.

No motor on the planet has the naturally balanced, silky smooth, linear, satisfying power delivery of an inline six cylinder. But who cares these days? Most BMW buyers don't even know about the things that make BMWs special. They think their BMW has a V6 and front wheel drive.
Speaking as one who has only experienced the NA six a few times in a couple of E9x variations and always with the auto, I have to say it did nothing for me. This although the first time I drove one, I went in with high expectations, having read things similar to your post, and was quite excited with anticipation. Perhaps it was over-expectation, as I recall thinking: This is it? Nice enough, but to revere it like that, I dunno...?

Now in all fairness, I hear the GM tranny cripples that engine. Oh yes - I DID try a 128i with a manual; unfortunately my shifting skills are beyond rusty. The salesman had to warn me I could burn the tranny, at which point I stopped the car and we switched seats. One has to realize one's own limitations. While, in my fantasies (when I'm not hitting balls out of Shea Stadium) I see myself having a ball in a powerful stick-shifting car, I have come to realize this is quite unlikely to happen.

V6? Hah, wait till people start saying their 2013 328i has a V-4! (c'mon, I'm not the only one who's heard that, am I?)
Old 02-16-2012, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:

Yes, and in the 60's Hamburgers were like 15 cents . It may be a modern marvel of engineering (I personally think they should have dropped the weight of the car and kept the engine, it would be sick), but I'd bet that only matters to a select few. Even the most tame drivers I feel like it would bother them that a 40+k car got killed off the line by a cleaning lady (lol I KNOW bad stereotype) in a 270hp Sonata.

I guess that kind of thinking helps the have nots in the hp department sleep at night .

Last edited by SuperTerp; 02-16-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i
You can thank the EPA and rest of the similar gov't agencies around the world for taking that global warming crap seriously and imposing gas mileage restrictions that caused BMW to make turbo charged engines. Put your anger where it belongs, not on BMW.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kck7 View Post
Hey! My loaner also sounded like that, 2011 328 sedan. I too got to wondering the same thing. Edit: mine did not have X-drive. Probably had been beaten up for 10,000 miles.
You sure it wasn't x-Drive? Cause they no longer put the X on the trunk. All the loaners up here are x-Drive, in fact I hardly ever see a rear drive new 3 series on the road up here. Pity.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Had a much bigger issue with the crappy 8 speed auto and the sloppy handling. Shrug. Engine was fine. Chassis/AT were all sorts of awful for me.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguydotcom View Post
Had a much bigger issue with the crappy 8 speed auto and the sloppy handling. Shrug. Engine was fine. Chassis/AT were all sorts of awful for me.
did you drive a sportline?, if so, i am surprised.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
As usual. The only person I've come across yet who thought the 8AT was anything short of terrific. Of course, why would anyone want an automatic that is always in exactly the right gear in every situation and even has the capability of skipping gears to make sure that is the case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Not only does bluedot not wear pants he would prefer that BMW was still producing the E30 (wonderful as it was) and had never moved on from there.

Last edited by tturedraider; 02-16-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Yes, and in the 60's Hamburgers were like 15 cents . It may be a modern marvel of engineering (I personally think they should have dropped the weight of the car and kept the engine, it would be sick), but I'd bet that only matters to a select few. Even the most tame drivers I feel like it would bother them that a 40+k car got killed off the line by a cleaning lady (lol I KNOW bad stereotype) in a 270hp Sonata.

I guess that kind of thinking helps the have nots in the hp department sleep at night .
For the life of me I can't understand the reasoning for dropping the N52. With the 8AT in the 528i it was getting 22 & 32. With direct injection and a few other tweaks I'm sure they could have made I'm pretty confident they could get the same mileage out of it that the N20 is getting. No matter how "good" they've made the N20, IMO BMW really screwed the pooch by dropping their U.S. market trademark I6 in the 328. The bean counters won this one.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
The sport line isn't going to help the automatic. Hopefully the sport line will improve the driving feel.

@tut - to each his own. I do not like automatics and in the end the 8 speed auto was still an automatic and felt just as limiting as they always do.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
The sport line isn't going to help the automatic. Hopefully the sport line will improve the driving feel.

@tut - to each his own. I do not like automatics and in the end the 8 speed auto was still an automatic and felt just as limiting as they always do.
Wrong. Sport auto will help. And the ZF8 is the best auto i have driven, and i have driven a lot. Nothing will be a manual, but a manual. But the ZF8 is damn impressive, ESPECIALLY with the sport auto option.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
can we introduce you to blueguydotcom?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
For the life of me I can't understand the reasoning for dropping the N52. With the 8AT in the 528i it was getting 22 & 32. With direct injection and a few other tweaks I'm sure they could have made I'm pretty confident they could get the same mileage out of it that the N20 is getting. No matter how "good" they've made the N20, IMO BMW really screwed the pooch by dropping their U.S. market trademark I6 in the 328. The bean counters won this one.
I thought the primary reason for turbos was emissions rather than gas mileage?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Quote:
They dropped the weight of 2 cylinders so they could make the car bigger and softer to attract Lexus and MB drivers. I'm tempted to pick up a 128i with 6MT while I still can and before they make it bigger, but my 335i still rocks. Admittedly they added power with the turbo so that's the trade off, but now only RWD distinguishes it from Audi.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
I thought the primary reason for turbos was emissions rather than gas mileage?
It was for U.S. CAFE standards. Europe has higher emissions standards than the U.S., but BMW is already meeting requiements there that won't take effect for several years down the road.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
They dropped the weight of 2 cylinders so they could make the car bigger and softer to attract Lexus and MB drivers...
More importantly, the Lexus, MB and Audi drivers never really experienced the smooth revving N52, so the N20's low end power and fuel economy will impress them without them ever feeling that they missed anything.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
More importantly, the Lexus, MB and Audi drivers never really experienced the smooth revving N52, so the N20's low end power and fuel economy will impress them without them ever feeling that they missed anything.
Im sure they drove an N52 and was appalled at the lack of low end torque.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
They dropped the weight of 2 cylinders so they could make the car bigger and softer to attract Lexus and MB drivers. I'm tempted to pick up a 128i with 6MT while I still can and before they make it bigger, but my 335i still rocks. Admittedly they added power with the turbo so that's the trade off, but now only RWD distinguishes it from Audi.
Why do you say this? The F30 handles better than the e90, is faster, gets better gas mileage and has a better and sportier interior. It's 4" longer. That's the length of your finger. I think every point you make is wrong.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:50 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Why do you say this? The F30 handles better than the e90, is faster, gets better gas mileage and has a better and sportier interior. It's 4" longer. That's the length of your finger. I think every point you make is wrong.
My comments are based on the feel of the E90 and the fact that it's already too large to really be tossable. Yes, on paper driven by a professional the F30 may be even faster around a track, but most of us don't drive 9/10th on the way to work or headed out on a road trip, and for daily driving I find the E90 to already drive "too big". IMO, of course. It's why I think a 1 Series sedan, built around the same size of the current coupe but with a higher quality interior would be a no-brainer for me. I have not driven an F30 yet so I'll need to do that soon but plan to keep on driving my E90 for at least another year (I have an extended warranty to 100K).