Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: maybe F30 328/335
European Delivery Worth It?

Couple questions.

1. To those that have done this in the past, did you guys enjoy driving your BRAND NEW bimmer in a foreign country where you have no experience driving/ unsure where to go/ unsure how crazy the drivers are, or did it just make you nervous?

2. While it's tempting to drive on the autobahn, did you/will you actually drive your car to top speed while still on brake-in period during your ED?

While I would like to experience this, I just don't see the point driving my BRAND NEW car in a foreign country. Maybe pick it up and drop it off to port right away?
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2012, 11:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Driving in Germany is similar if not easier, safer and more enjoyable than the US/Canada. You will have no problems if you stay in the Germany/Austria regions. Navigation makes directions effortless, and even if you want to strictly follow break in guidelines, you can sill legally drive faster than in the US. So what's not to like?

Last edited by the J-Man; 02-14-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi A3
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmwinds View Post
Couple questions.

1. To those that have done this in the past, did you guys enjoy driving your BRAND NEW bimmer in a foreign country where you have no experience driving/ unsure where to go/ unsure how crazy the drivers are, or did it just make you nervous?

2. While it's tempting to drive on the autobahn, did you/will you actually drive your car to top speed while still on brake-in period during your ED?

While I would like to experience this, I just don't see the point driving my BRAND NEW car in a foreign country. Maybe pick it up and drop it off to port right away?
Don't let any of these concerns stop you from considering ED. Go for it!

Read through this website, it will tell you everything you need to know about driving in Germany (and Europe in general).

http://www.gettingaroundgermany.info/auto.shtml

If your car has nav, look through the ED forum, I think there is a way you can borrow a Europe nav DVD for the car. If not, get a GPS with Europe maps, and program in your hotels, sights, etc. in advance. That should take care of the unsure where you're going concern. Don't worry too much about crazy drivers, they're generally better than here in my experience (granted, that's limited to Germany and northern Europe mostly, I gather Italy would be another story ). Just don't drive like an American on the autobahn, strictly keep to the right except when you're passing someone. Look carefully in your mirror before pulling into the left lane, it's amazing how fast cars can come up.

Only 2 things made me nervous: (1) driving in the center of the bigger cities, I'd avoid that (park outside the center and take transit in), and (2) skinny parking spaces.

I did try to keep the rpm's below 4000 as recommended, and was mostly able to do so. Yeah, it was a bit frustrating not always being able to go as fast as I wanted. But was able to go pretty fast still keeping it below 4000 (like 110 mph at 3600 rpm).

I'd never consider going all that way and not taking advantage of being able to drive my brand new BMW there, especially being right next to the most beautiful part of Europe, the Alps. The trip costs will eat up most of your ED cost savings, so to me it's not worth it without getting a vacation along with the car.

And spend some time in the ED forum, there's a ton of useful info there.

Good luck!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:33 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
ABSOLUTELY!!!! Be sure to do PCD for re-delivery.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 02-15-2012, 01:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i Sports Wagon
Absolutely worth it. Driving on the Autobahn is a breeze compared to driving in the U.S. -- the bozo factor is a lot lower. I stayed within the break-in limits (under 100 mph) which was fine because driving that fast takes a lot of concentration. I doubt I could have driven at 120 mph for any length of time. Part of the fun is driving at 80 and having people pass you like you're standing still.

I have Nav and that made a huge difference. I asked my advisor at BMW Welt for any hints and he advised me to enter destinations in Germany beginning with the postal code. That saved me from entering long town names.

You could just fly in and fly out to get the 7% discount -- but you'd be missing some great experiences. It was one of the best vacations I've ever had.

2010 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (April 2009): Deep Sea Blue / Cream Beige / Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages
2011 335i xDrive Coupe (April 2011, European Delivery): Le Mans Blue / Oyster-Black / M Sport, Premium, Convenience Packages

Last edited by gcreese; 02-15-2012 at 01:49 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:10 AM
Vector Pilot

Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 28i
Euro Delivery; best thing we've ever did and to prove the point we're planning to do another in 2013.
The German Autobahn, is an experience in itself. As for driving at a top-speed, I had the same concern and the delivery rep at the Welt said, "Go as fast as you wish, as long as you vary the speed, and not excede 4500 rpm's." Heeding that advice, I drove my E92/335i between 125-145 mph and to my surprise the engine was prepared to go even faster. As others have stated, highway and city driving in Germany, Austria and Switzerland is far better plus much safer than driving here [USA] as well as in Canada.
Only one word of caution regarding the Euro Delivery, interview several BMW dealers before making a selection, because it's important they have first hand knowledge of the process.
Aside from that, go for it, and have great time.
Highest Regards.

Last edited by Vector Pilot; 02-15-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: '13 135i M Sport 7DCT
Driving in Europe is fun. Highways are a lot more organized (left lane for passing, no passing on right), in city you might need to drive in sport mode to jump into runabout (those tiny turbo cars they have in Europe are really good at it).

I took my car to 150mph (328i with NA I6, I figured it's a proven engine) shortly after pick up, has 5000 miles now, no signs of problems. Not really proud of it, but I had to experience it.

If you're confident driver I think you won't have any issues in Europe and will have lots of fun.

As for the NEW car, insurance BMW gives you is amazing. It will cover EVERYTHING, even curb rash on rims. All of it will be fixed during re-delivery (might delay it by a few days though).
Old 02-15-2012, 08:53 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Do it! Totally worth it but have navigation of some sort, and a hobby to distract you from the redelivery wait. I second the PCD experience as well.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: German
It is 100% worth it. I'm quite jealous from all the ED posts I've seen from BF users on here. Maybe one day in the future, I'll get the opportunity to go to Germany to pick up my own Audi/BMW/MB/Porsche
Old 02-15-2012, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i,2006 Solstice
get a GPS with European maps ( tom tom on ebay was cheaper than upgrading my Magellan )- drove through Italy and the south of France last year with no problems at all. The scooter drivers in cities are absolute lunatics, but on the highways the drivers are really much better than USA. Just watch out for the occasional Ducati squeezing the line in the mountains and you'll be fine
Old 02-15-2012, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: SG E92 M3
Quote:
Couple questions.

it's a car that's meant to be driven, ED provides you with insurance for the trip. i drove my 2012 m3 from munich to paris and unfortunately into the heart of paris and around the arc de triumph. i wouldn't drive it into paris again but it was fine, great experience and will most assuredly do it again. you'll get this a lot - people who have done ED generally go back and do it again, it's an amazing car buying experience.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Couple questions.

1. To those that have done this in the past, did you guys enjoy driving your BRAND NEW bimmer in a foreign country...?

2. [D]id you ... actually drive your car to top speed while still on brake-in period during your ED?

1. Yes, IMMENSELY. To the extent that over a year later, driving in the US (and/or US drivers, take your pick) still frustrates or saddens me on a more or less weekly basis.

2. No, because I knew I would complete the break-in period before drop-off. But a week of 100mph cruising is nothing to sneeze at and was time well spent getting acclimated, rather than just jumping into the fast end of the pool.

If you are that nervous about driving a BRAND NEW car in an unfamiliar area, perhaps your driving ability isn't up to the task and you could just pay BMW 60 to drive the car to the drop-off for you. OTOH, if you feel insulted by that statement ... congratulations, you just realized you're over-thinking this. DO IT!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Bimmer (and then edited in a proper browser because the damn app kept cutting off the last paragraph!)

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 02-15-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Driving my car in Europe was better than than any drive I've ever taken in the USA. Been all over the US. Just doesn't compare to rolling out of BMW in your own car and going through Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy and France. Good grief it's just phenomenal. People in the US simply don't know how awesome driving can be...the alps, the Autostrada, southern France... still go on and on about it to me.

Tracking's fun but nothing compares to ED.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Automotive Supplier

Mein Auto: 2008 Corvette & 2006 GTO
Driving in Europe is way better than in the US. People have road manners.

1. You only pass on the left
2. If you are not passing you get over to the right

So basically, you get to enjoy driving as there aren't idiots in lanes they shouldn't be in going speeds they shouldn't be going.

The only negative, when in town... you can only go 50 kph (that's about 31 MPH). And then off the "main roads" you can only go 30 kph (19 MPH) which is SLOOOOW!

But in the countryside you can go faster (typically 100 kph/62 MPH) and on most autobahns its 130 kph (81 MPH) or unlimited.

I've taken at least 4 cars over the 200kph line, which is fun.

Kia SUV (rental) - 200 kph
BMW 1-Series (my aunts) - 240 kph
BMW 5-Series diesel (my friends moms)- 254 kph
Opel Astra (rental) - 205 kph

Last edited by LS2 MN6; 02-16-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 135
1. YES
2. not top speed but, 150ish. after a while (after a couple hundred miles and your brakes and tires break a bit in)
you kinda say screw it and blast away
Old 02-16-2012, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: '10 VW GTI
Worth it? Oh hell yes! Driving in Europe? You'll hate it coming back to the US and dealing with the morons on I-95. Break-in at top speed concerns? I'll defer to the answers above.

Last edited by volsfan0911; 02-16-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:40 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Yes. It was all that I thought it could be and more.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 02-16-2012, 11:56 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Everything that everybody said above x 100! It's an awesome experience driving your own BMW on the roads it was designed to be driven on. If you order Navigation you get the European maps while in Europe and they load the US maps when it arrives in the US. We never got lost and never even referred to the Michelin maps that we took as backup.

Driving there is 100 times better than driving on almost any road in the US. The scenery is awesome, the roads are in better shape, the drivers are better, and any damage that might happen is completely fixed before your car arrives at your dealer.

As for top speed, once we passed the break-in period of 1200 miles, we did 160 MPH/260 KPH several times and 120-130 MPH the rest of the time. Driving at 100 MPH during break-in is easy as cake even though you will get passed by much lesser cars.

And of course, there's the whole European experience besides the car.

If you don't understand any of this you're probably better off driving it straight to the airport. Exactly why are you buying a BMW anyway? And why bother with ED, why not just buy one from your dealer?
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 02-17-2012, 06:51 AM
flBM

Mein Auto: 2009 128i
Totally worth it!! Much easier then driving in Florida!!! I broke in about 300 miles before hitting the maximum allowable speed in my 1 which was 130MPH I think. Germany to Amsterdam to Belgium to Paris was Awesome! In Paris was terrible so I parked it in long term Parking for four day paying for two parking spots. Paris to Geneva was breathtaking! No comparison to US when driving where the ultimate driving machine was built to be driven! Although, I ended up spending more money on ED, I think it would be difficult for me to buy/lease a car any other way! Even if I go for two or three days!!\

Just do it!!
2006 325i with Auto. Jet Black, Black ette, Burl. Retired!
2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse. 6Spd Retired!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 335i convertible
Totally worth it. I did my ED in June but come back to the forum to read people's reports. I started thinking about the next ED as soon as I got home. Basically what everyone else has said. The experience of driving the Autobahns, Alps and any of the unexpected things that come up was great. It was an adventure and one of the best vacations I've had. Drivving the car the way it's meant to be driven was awsome. I too get frustrated while driving on the Parkway and having flashbacks to Europe.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post
Everything that everybody said above x 100! It's an awesome experience driving your own BMW on the roads it was designed to be driven on. If you order Navigation you get the European maps while in Europe and they load the US maps when it arrives in the US. We never got lost and never even referred to the Michelin maps that we took as backup.

Driving there is 100 times better than driving on almost any road in the US. The scenery is awesome, the roads are in better shape, the drivers are better, and any damage that might happen is completely fixed before your car arrives at your dealer.

As for top speed, once we passed the break-in period of 1200 miles, we did 160 MPH/260 KPH several times and 120-130 MPH the rest of the time. Driving at 100 MPH during break-in is easy as cake even though you will get passed by much lesser cars.

And of course, there's the whole European experience besides the car.

If you don't understand any of this you're probably better off driving it straight to the airport. Exactly why are you buying a BMW anyway? And why bother with ED, why not just buy one from your dealer?
Very well put. I'm doing my 4th ED in May in a 335 Sport, I can't wait. I feel like a little kid in a candy store.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 02-17-2012, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi A3
Wow, have you ever seen a thread with 19 replies that all totally agreed? Reading through this is convincing me even more to do an F30 ED this September!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sactoken View Post
Wow, have you ever seen a thread with 19 replies that all totally agreed? Reading through this is convincing me even more to do an F30 ED this September!
You do it once and your hooked. I will say as many others will agree, the wait is horrible.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 02-17-2012, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: '11 128i, '05 Range Rover
Totally! Its the best part about buying a new BMW... otherwise, I would have picked up a nicely depreciated used one for much less.

I really wanted to have the ED experience, and it was more than worth it. I had a vacation planned anyway, so it also saved me the expense of a rental car - which for a 10 day trip is nothing to scoff at.

Driving was a pleasure. I did cross the 1200 miles, so I did get a chance to exceed 125mph (200 kph) - it was OK... not that exciting. Needed a lot of concentration... What was far more fun were the twisty mountain roads in Austria and Italy. Really missed revving the car there (this was before I had completed the break in period)... I really wanted to hold gear, and hear the sweet 6 wail way past the 4K limit... so if it were up to me, I would put some miles on the car, before heading south of Munich.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 z4 28i
one of the best trips ever. the a-bahn & european highways in general put u.s. roads to shame