Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-24-2012, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
VDC: "Dent in Left Front Rim; Rim Will Be Replaced" - Advice Needed! Grr!

Friends,

I just called the VDC in Georgia, where my 535i has been at for a few days, and I was told as follows:

"There is a dent in the front left rim, and we are going to have to replace it. It will take 6-7 days to get the rim. It was TQC'd as a production defect, so it was something that occurred at the factory in Germany. It is just the rim - if there was any other damage to the vehicle it would show up in my system. This occurs quite frequently, as we are sensitive to how the rim looks, because customers usually scrutinize rims upon taking delivery."

I am quite concerned about this - spending this much money on a car and knowing that it was damaged before I get it.

1. How does one even "dent" a rim - I thought it can only be scratched when driving it to close to a curb?

2. Anyhow, should I refuse to take delivery of the car?

3. How common is this/how often is there damage that requires repair at the VDC? If I refuse delivery, what is the possibility/likelihood that my next 535i might have a similar, or worse, issue occurring during transport?

4. Does this show up on the carfax?

Last edited by ditrasetman; 09-24-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Op,

If your referring to the VPC, or the prep center after transit, but before delivery to the dealer.

1) how did u get their number, I've never heard of anyone talking to them minus maybe dealers. Interesting

To your questions

1) these cars are shipped In ships, which tread the open seas. Things like this, although rare, do happen.

2) I think thats highly unnecessary, as they are tending to the issue. The peeps at VPC are experts at what they do since they handle many cars,and aren't stealership based.

3) I know that when u pay x amount, you would the best possible. VPC are trained pros, who will restore the car to factory condition. There's a readup on VPC from mini motoring I think. It's a really in-depth guide to what goes on from the moment the car is driven off the transit vessel. Check it out. It's a good read.

4) apmk, BMW doesn't have to release any repair info, as long as the damage is below 15% of the cars value. First off, ifs a rim, I think it's well below the limit. Second if it's a dent as a result of a bad wheel supplier, than not a real issue, this happens sometimes, and BMW instructs the VPC to rectify the situation. Carfax will never know. how you got the info about ur particular incident is another question (which you will probs help you get a better answer)

All in all, I think the car is going to fine. Keep us posted, and make sure you do a ppi of the vehicle to help calm your worries!

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 09-24-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
Op,

If your referring to the VPC, or the prep center after transit, but before delivery to the dealer.

1) how did u get their number, I've never heard of anyone talking to them minus maybe dealers. Interesting

To your questions

1) these cars are shipped In ships, which tread the open seas. Things like this, although rare, do happen.

2) I think thats highly unnecessary, as they are tending to the issue. The peeps at VPC are experts at what they do since they handle many cars,and aren't stealership based.

3) I know that when u pay x amount, you would the best possible. VPC are trained pros, who will restore the car to factory condition. There's a readup on VPC from mini motoring I think. It's a really in-depth guide to what goes on from the moment the car is driven off the transit vessel. Check it out. It's a good read.

4) apmk, BMW doesn't have to release any repair info, as long as the damage is below 15% of the cars value. First off, ifs a rim, I think it's well below the limit. Second if it's a dent as a result of a bad wheel supplier, than not a real issue, this happens sometimes, and BMW instructs the VPC to rectify the situation. Carfax will never know. how you got the info about ur particular incident is another question (which you will probs help you get a better answer)

All in all, I think the car is going to fine. Keep us posted, and make sure you do a ppi of the vehicle to help calm your worries!
NoI4plz:

My car is at the Brunswick, Georgia Vehicle Distribution Center. I got the number off of the internet. I knew it was there, because someone in another forum had their car on the same boat and told me that it was at that VDC. When I called I got an operator, and I asked to speak to a "rep" that is in their office. It was clear that they do not receive calls from customers about specific cars. Perhaps, they thought I was from a particular dealer. I figured that I should try and get info, and I posted exactly what they said on the phone. She made it seem like it really was not a big deal, and that this is extremely common.

I am assuming that this is more common than anyone knows because no one ever calls, like I do.

What is weird is that, according to the rep, the "dent" to the rim was "TQC'd as a production defect," meaning that the damage occurred prior to it being placed on the cargo ship. She said that it was an issue with the rim that they noticed in Germany, but when that occurs, they have it replaced at the VDC. She could not tell if it was a production defect (already dented when placed on the car), or if the guy driving it out of the factory to the BMW lot in Germany, before boarding a ship, did it.

When looking on the forums, I guess other people have had this issue as well, and WERE told by there CA's, which apparently does not often happen.

This whole thing makes me nervous. I am thinking about making my dealer provide me wheel insurance.

I am worried about the CarFax issue. Even though my CA said it would NOT show on the CarFax look at Post No. 2: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=472920 (My CA said that bumpers are different than rims for CarFax purposes).

Last edited by ditrasetman; 09-24-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Dude get over it. You don't know what the dent is or how it was caused, why worry about it? They are replacing the wheel, big deal. Some people may call a gouge a dent or vice versa... I'd be worried if they were repairing the wheel, but since they are replacing it nothing to worry about. I'd rather have the VPC work on my car than the dealer that's for sure.

ED car might show up on carfax because the car is "titled" your car isn't titled yet.

Last edited by Kar Don; 09-24-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:35 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Really .... relax ...... lots of stuff may get fixed before the car gets to you ..... BMW is really careful about catching inevitable glitches.

I had a fuel tank sensor replaced at the VPC in Brunswick before the car got to me. They have factory like capabilities there.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 09-24-2012, 04:27 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
When we did a tour of the Oxnard VDC, there was a WHOLE pile of damaged rims that looked undamaged to the casual look. These were not to be repaired but scheduled for recycling. They cannot be re-sold. VDC goes over each car and if there's any visible defect, it is taken care of, although they are known to miss some things at times. I watched one of their people inspecting the exterior of a car and she was pretty thorough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1030.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	343184   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1031.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	343185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1032_2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	343186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1042_2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	343187  
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK

Last edited by AndDown; 09-24-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:40 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Don't worry about it. The wheel is a replaceable part, and this will not show up on any records. I would be happy about this because the alternative is you get a wheel with a small imperfection.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 09-24-2012, 04:44 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
BTW what is the number for the VPC in Brunswick? I want to talk to them too.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 09-24-2012, 04:46 PM
BMWCCA Member

Mein Auto: ED 2012 535xi TiAg
Do Not Worry about the dent, scratch or whatever on the rim. This past April and May, I drove around Europe for 1,200 miles during my ED. I carelessly parked up against a pole in a garage and caused some deep scratches to the rear bumper. In addition, I badly scratched the left front rim getting too close to the toll collector at a toll booth. The VPC did a miraculous job repairing or replacing the damaged parts. Since they kept the car for a bit over a week, it's possible that they replaced the parts. In any event, they did such a good job, I hadn't thought about it until I read your post.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
btw what is the number for the vpc in brunswick? I want to talk to them too.
912-267-8500
Old 09-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
You have no idea how much transit damage is repaired at the port. It is extensive. Put it this way: every ports vehicle prep center has a full body shop. And it gets used.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-24-2012, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
I toured the VPC in Jersey City earlier this year through a BMWCCA event. Given how tightly they are packed on the ship, and how many hands they pass through, they come out looking pretty good. The VPC has a full paint and body shop, and is well equipped to handle nearly any incident. If it is damage that equals more than 15% of the cars value, it will no longer be for sale, and will go in to an internal BMW pool.

Given the amount of rim damage that happens normally around here, it is absolutely nothing to be worried about. Be glad that it is being fixed at the VDC, as they are significantly more competent at repairs than most dealers.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:19 AM

Interesting twist: I spoke to the VDC again (they are no longer taking calls from customers, by the way, due to the heavy number of callers): and my car was coded today as QA'd (approved) WITHOUT necessitating a new rim or repair. Apparently, whatever issue, blemish, dirt that was seen in Germany when they coded the car under the global "Rim Dent" category (where any and every issue noticed in Germany for rims is placed) was not seen as an issue at the VDC that would require a new rim or any repair. My car is approved for tranport to my dealer now. Thoughts? The VDC says this happens frequently, as the German guys walk up and down rows of cars and immediately code any issues or potential issues that they notice (including a dirty rim), without providing any detail in the computer system, and when the car gets to the VDC, they inspect the alleged issue and either leave it alone, fix it, or replace it.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
You should be fine. I'm OCD as well about these things. Unfortunately, you can't control everything in life. I'm surprised you actually looked up the VDC number and called them. I just waited to hear from my CA when the car arrived at the dealer. I'm sure my CA wouldn't even drill down to this level of detail for his customers. Ignorance is bliss. If you go looking for imperfection, you will find it.

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport
Old 09-25-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditrasetman View Post
Interesting twist: I spoke to the VDC again (they are no longer taking calls from customers, by the way, due to the heavy number of callers): and my car was coded today as QA'd (approved) WITHOUT necessitating a new rim or repair. Apparently, whatever issue, blemish, dirt that was seen in Germany when they coded the car under the global "Rim Dent" category (where any and every issue noticed in Germany for rims is placed) was not seen as an issue at the VDC that would require a new rim or any repair. My car is approved for tranport to my dealer now. Thoughts? The VDC says this happens frequently, as the German guys walk up and down rows of cars and immediately code any issues or potential issues that they notice (including a dirty rim), without providing any detail in the computer system, and when the car gets to the VDC, they inspect the alleged issue and either leave it alone, fix it, or replace it.
Great news. Picked up my car here in Miami, BTW. It's a very happy day, and I'm glad yours will be here soon.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
There are plenty of videos you can watch online of stevedores driving. A little oopsie is bound to happen.

I agree with everybody else -- VDC/VDP is best equipped to repair.

Bottom line, when your car arrives, do a thorough examination (I would recommend taking delivery during the daytime so you get maximum light), and if all looks good, you should be fine. Perhaps you could convince your dealer to let you go for a test run to make sure there are no vibrations given what you know about the vehicle.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 09-26-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMarkA View Post
Bottom line, when your car arrives, do a thorough examination (I would recommend taking delivery during the daytime so you get maximum light), and if all looks good, you should be fine. Perhaps you could convince your dealer to let you go for a test run to make sure there are no vibrations given what you know about the vehicle.
Completely agree regarding daytime delivery (and in Miami, taking delivery when it isn't raining). Only one surprising element of your recommendation--doesn't everyone take a test drive before accepting a car on delivery? I would never take possession of a new car without doing so.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
II would refuse the car and look to another brand if car. Itís clear your extreme concern suggest you will never be happy with a BMW. Let me know when you refused delivery and I would be glad to call dealer and see what kind of deal I can get on your car.

For your interest, cars often ship from the factory with simple to fix defects and routinely shipped to VPC. This includes repainting bumpers or replacing trim. I know wheel issues, not necessarily damage, but wheel shortages at factory, cars are shipped with temp wheels. Mine was shipped this way.

I would not consider bumper damage or wheel damage to be a disqualifying event, but you need to consider you will never be happy.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer 535xi View Post
II would refuse the car and look to another brand if car. Itís clear your extreme concern suggest you will never be happy with a BMW. Let me know when you refused delivery and I would be glad to call dealer and see what kind of deal I can get on your car.

For your interest, cars often ship from the factory with simple to fix defects and routinely shipped to VPC. This includes repainting bumpers or replacing trim. I know wheel issues, not necessarily damage, but wheel shortages at factory, cars are shipped with temp wheels. Mine was shipped this way.

I would not consider bumper damage or wheel damage to be a disqualifying event, but you need to consider you will never be happy.
A little harsh, don't you think? The guy just shelled out a lot of money for a new car and had reasonable concerns about what might have happened in transit. He asks for advice, gets reassurance, and posts that he will be taking the car after BMW reverses itself regarding the damage assessment. I hope you enjoyed your shot at him, though.