Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:37 AM

Mein Auto: Infiniti
Which are the best value options to order ?

OK, I know this will be different for everyone but there must be a few jewels and duds on the option list. I'm ordering a 328i and am trying to squeeze the best value I can. That said, I'll spring for something if it's worth it. I have a fairly short commute (12 miles) about 1/2 on the highway in Seattle.

I've tentatively chosen:

Heated Seats
Split Rear Seats
Rear Camera
Parking distance
Parking Assist

The latter two options the salesperson told me he was having trouble ordering separately without the parking package which seems wrong as BMW's own site lets me pick them.

I'd like to have a few parts of the luxury package if they were available separately but I can do without the sunroof and the leatherette looks really nice to me and is supposed to be more durable.

I'm bummed though that I can't get the comfort access. I love the idea of less key fumbling.

I'd also like the home-link and auto-dimming mirrors. Both are on my 2001 I30 standard and I can't believe BMW does't have them standard now. I believe I can get them after market though. Still, it doesn't seem worth $3600 to me to pay for these options. Am I wrong ? I'm sure 99% of these cars will have the Premium Pkg. Will I have an unsellable used car without it ?

I like the idea of a parking camera. It's one of BMW's few reasonably priced items and I have small kids.

And of course now that I have kids, 17" wheels are just fine. I'll trade cheaper tires for a bit less hard cornering.

The Sport/Modern/Luxury options look sweet but not great values. Maybe I'd fall in love if I saw them in person. I guess nobody has though.

I know these are ridiculous questions of course but it's kinda fun thinking about them Hopefully someone who owns a recent BMW has an opinion on the ones they're glad they bought vs the ones that they never use.
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2012, 06:01 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Welcome to BMW 2012 - or should I say the new Ford of Germany. They now require you to add several silly things to get the parts you want.

BTW, if you're getting heated seats and the fold down, why not just get the cold weather package? It's a few bucks more but it adds headlight washers (handy) and heated rear seats.

According to BMWconfig you can add the rear view camera and parking sensors without adding a package but the parking assist requires the premium package. Do you need the parking assist if you have sensors and the rear view camera?
Old 01-17-2012, 06:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2e View Post
I'd also like the home-link and auto-dimming mirrors. Both are on my 2001 I30 standard and I can't believe BMW does't have them standard now. I believe I can get them after market though. Still, it doesn't seem worth $3600 to me to pay for these options. Am I wrong ? I'm sure 99% of these cars will have the Premium Pkg. Will I have an unsellable used car without it ?
I wouldn't consider buying a BMW which lacked leather and the Premium Package. However that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy the car the way you want it. It's your car, buy it the way you want it and enjoy.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 335i Sedan
Quote:
OK, I know this will be different for everyone but there must be a few jewels and duds on the option list. I'm ordering a 328i and am trying to squeeze the best value I can. That said, I'll spring for something if it's worth it. I have a fairly short commute (12 miles) about 1/2 on the highway in Seattle.

I've tentatively chosen:

Heated Seats
Split Rear Seats
Rear Camera
Parking distance
Parking Assist

The latter two options the salesperson told me he was having trouble ordering separately without the parking package which seems wrong as BMW's own site lets me pick them.

I'd like to have a few parts of the luxury package if they were available separately but I can do without the sunroof and the leatherette looks really nice to me and is supposed to be more durable.

I'm bummed though that I can't get the comfort access. I love the idea of less key fumbling.

I like the idea of a parking camera. It's one of BMW's few reasonably priced items and I have small kids.

And of course now that I have kids, 17" wheels are just fine. I'll trade cheaper tires for a bit less hard cornering.

The Sport/Modern/Luxury options look sweet but not great values. Maybe I'd fall in love if I saw them in person. I guess nobody has though.

I know these are ridiculous questions of course but it's kinda fun thinking about them Hopefully someone who owns a recent BMW has an opinion on the ones they're glad they bought vs the ones that they never use.
It depends which car you are getting.

For the 335i, Im getting sport line with:
Black Leatherette
Heated front seats
Premium sound
Sport auto transmittion
Enhanced bluetooth.

Even though I am in Florida, I love the heated front seats when I leave work on cool nights in the winter. The necessary options for me are sport auto, premium sound and enhanced bluetooth. These are a must.

If I would have gotten the 328i, premium package would be a must have to get the xenons and extra support for the seats, electronics, etc. Many of these things are already built into the 335i.

If I would have never ordered sport auto transmission with shift paddles on my first car, I would have never known how awesome it is.

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

2012 F30 335i sportline (Black Sapphire/Black Leatherette/Black High gloss trim, Technology, Sport Auto, Premium Sound, BMW Apps.)
Old 01-17-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguydotcom View Post
Welcome to BMW 2012 - or should I say the new Ford of Germany. They now require you to add several silly things to get the parts you want.

BTW, if you're getting heated seats and the fold down, why not just get the cold weather package? It's a few bucks more but it adds headlight washers (handy) and heated rear seats.

According to BMWconfig you can add the rear view camera and parking sensors without adding a package but the parking assist requires the premium package. Do you need the parking assist if you have sensors and the rear view camera?
I just wasn't sure the light wipers were worth anything. Definitely don't care about heated back seats or steering wheel so thought I'd save the $400.

Good to hear about the wipers though. Just curious, what conditions are they meant for ? Do they make a big difference in the rain ?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
I just wasn't sure the light wipers were worth anything. Definitely don't care about heated back seats or steering wheel so thought I'd save the $400.

Good to hear about the wipers though. Just curious, what conditions are they meant for ? Do they make a big difference in the rain ?
They're not wipers. They're high powered jets. Unless you REALLY want heated rear seats stick with what you have. Unless you parallel park a lot and aren't good at it Parking Assist is a gimmick and not worth the money.

Not having Premium will hurt resale. Dimming mirrors and Homelink have always been part of the premium pkg and not available stand alone.

Leatherette is no more durable than leather. Whether hot or cold, leather adjusts to temperature changes. Plastic basically doesn't adjust. Anyway, leather and the sunroof make up most of the cost of the premium pkg. Average buyers want leather and sunroof in a BMW.

If you get the premium pkg the xenon headlights are worth every penny. The HK stereo is very good.

I agree the rear sensors, camera and folding seats are very good choices.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-17-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:15 PM

Think resale would be hurt by more than $3600 ? There must be a few folks out there who are cheap but want a 328i.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:50 PM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
Quote:
Think resale would be hurt by more than $3600 ? There must be a few folks out there who are cheap but want a 328i.
If you go look at the CPO listings for 2009 or so 328i and 328 xdrive, you can immediately tell which cars have at least the premium package and which ones are strippers. The price difference is significant.

No moonroof, no auto dimming mirrors, no power seats , no leather... those items majorly effect resale value.

Of course, if you plan to keep the car for 7+ years, then it doesn't really matter.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Not having Premium will hurt resale. Dimming mirrors and Homelink have always been part of the premium pkg and not available stand alone.
you're taking about the 328 right? I'm thinking of not getting the Premium Package (but still get leather seats) on the '12 335i. Is that a bad idea for resale?
Old 01-18-2012, 04:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535iX
Rear Camera
Parking distance
Parking Assist

It's a fairly small car, not sure if the above is worth the $$$. I would get the premium sound and xenon lights.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:19 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy288 View Post
Rear Camera
Parking distance
Parking Assist

It's a fairly small car, not sure if the above is worth the $$$. I would get the premium sound and xenon lights.
To get xenons you need to pack on the hyper expensive premium package now. So while you're questioning his 2k in add-ons, you're tacking 5k onto the price. Yikes.

I had the grave misfortune to be at our Audi dealer yesterday and while waiting for my wife's car I spied a red A4, 2012, quattro, manual. It had sport package, premium plus, leather, moonroof, xenons, folding rear seats, their version of comfort access, 10 speaker stereo, heated power seats, 18 inch wheels. Grand total: 39700.

The same 2012 328i - sport line, premium package, xenons, heated seats, higher end stereo came out to: 44370.

Holy crap. $4600 more?!

It's not my imagination, the pricing on the 3 series has definitely gone way up - not just a bit but massively. It used to be I'd put together a 328i with sport, leather, CA, xenons, cold weather and I was getting a price of 41k. Now this same car is running 2500 more. WTF?

Last edited by brkf; 01-18-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
I'm not advocating for parking assist, but it's rare to see a BMW 3-series that's 5+ years old that doesn't have 2-3 curbed wheels.

I'm not fantastic at parallel parking - I usually am too afraid of some unseen obstacle scratching my wheels - but I can see getting a rear-view camera simply to prevent curbed wheels over the years.

Now, if you buy it and still curb your wheels, well then it's just wasted money. Except for that 1 in a million chance there is a toddler directly behind your car - in which case, it's worth it
Old 01-18-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
I'm not advocating for parking assist, but it's rare to see a BMW 3-series that's 5+ years old that doesn't have 2-3 curbed wheels.

I'm not fantastic at parallel parking - I usually am too afraid of some unseen obstacle scratching my wheels - but I can see getting a rear-view camera simply to prevent curbed wheels over the years.

Now, if you buy it and still curb your wheels, well then it's just wasted money. Except for that 1 in a million chance there is a toddler directly behind your car - in which case, it's worth it
I have the rear view camera in my X5 and I don't see how it would prevent scuffed wheels from hitting the curb while parallel parking. The scuffing results while moving parallel to the parking space. Something a rear view camera isn't going to help with.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samualcc View Post
If you go look at the CPO listings for 2009 or so 328i and 328 xdrive, you can immediately tell which cars have at least the premium package and which ones are strippers. The price difference is significant.

No moonroof, no auto dimming mirrors, no power seats , no leather... those items majorly effect resale value.

Of course, if you plan to keep the car for 7+ years, then it doesn't really matter.
While I acknowledge there are some enthusiasts and minimalists in the world a BMW without the Premium Package is, to me, an indication of a buyer who can't afford a BMW and buys a stripped down model in order to buy one. This, to me, implies less than ideal maintenance.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:34 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkeypop View Post
you're taking about the 328 right? I'm thinking of not getting the Premium Package (but still get leather seats) on the '12 335i. Is that a bad idea for resale?
It's only $450 more for premium. Not getting it is a bad idea for you and for resale.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 01-18-2012, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
I have the rear view camera in my X5 and I don't see how it would prevent scuffed wheels from hitting the curb while parallel parking. The scuffing results while moving parallel to the parking space. Something a rear view camera isn't going to help with.
It should enable you to better judge when to cut the wheel to prevent turning in too close to the curb.

As far as I know, the scuffing occurs when someone is parallel parking and cuts the wheel too late, resulting in the car getting too close to parallel with the curb.

I'm not saying I'm right or your wrong - this is just my rationale for it.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:48 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
While I acknowledge there are some enthusiasts and minimalists in the world a BMW without the Premium Package is, to me, an indication of a buyer who can't afford a BMW and buys a stripped down model in order to buy one. This, to me, implies less than ideal maintenance.
Buying the premium package to me indicates the person has different values. I have as a buyer of 3 BMWs so far never cared about a moonroof, power seats, dimming mirrors, garage door openers, lumbar, integrated bluetooth/assist. These things do not help the car perform and in many instances actually hinder performance and my enjoyment of the car.

They sell M3s without moonroofs too - does this mean buyers who do not opt for the moonroof can't afford it?

Finally, there's a big difference between desire to pay for something and ability to pay for it. One can have the means to pay for something but see no value or even negative value in purchasing the item as offered. A moonroof is a negative value add-on - adding weight, weakening the chassis, less headroom for a helmet and in no way enhancing anything about the car.

Some items are so important I can see them raising the price and I wouldn't blink. Charging a premium for manual makes sense to me and I'd pay it. It's that important to how a BMW feels.

Last edited by brkf; 01-18-2012 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention the helmet issue
Old 01-18-2012, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Quote:
I always buy a non-moonroof car. I am very tall, and need the extra headroom that a non-moonroof model provides. Obviously, I do not buy the Premium Package, since it would force me to take the moonroof. Otherwise, my BMW is fairly well optioned (leather, HK stereo, heated seats, Xenons, etc.).

I also consider myself an enthusiast. So I enjoy a lighter car, and a manual transmission.

Needless to say, I always have to special-order my BMW.

Last edited by alpinweiss; 01-18-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
To get xenons you need to pack on the hyper expensive premium package now. So while you're questioning his 2k in add-ons, you're tacking 5k onto the price. Yikes.

I had the grave misfortune to be at our Audi dealer yesterday and while waiting for my wife's car I spied a red A4, 2012, quattro, manual. It had sport package, premium plus, leather, moonroof, xenons, folding rear seats, their version of comfort access, 10 speaker stereo, heated power seats, 18 inch wheels. Grand total: 39700.

The same 2012 328i - sport line, premium package, xenons, heated seats, higher end stereo came out to: 44370.

Holy crap. $4600 more?!

It's not my imagination, the pricing on the 3 series has definitely gone way up - not just a bit but massively. It used to be I'd put together a 328i with sport, leather, CA, xenons, cold weather and I was getting a price of 41k. Now this same car is running 2500 more. WTF?
in my situation, since i ordered 1450 leather, it would have cost me 3000 for xenons. LMFAO, i they are cool and all, but im buying the car for how it drives and feels.

And even tho the bmw is 4600 more, it will lease better because the audi residuals suck.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:35 AM

I do find it surprising that the car comes without homelink & power seats. This is stuff you find on mid-level Honda's. I suppose I'll do without the active parking. I do like the idea of the distance sensors to minimize scrapes on the painted bumpers. I think I need to investigate some of the protective films available. I don't want to spend a ton on them but my cars inevitably get scrapes there, if not from me then from someone else. I heard there's a paint protectant developed by Boeing that works extremely well. Time for more investigation as I'd want to apply it when the car is new.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
I own a 328i without ZPP because I had a budget and ordered the car to fit my budget. I can afford what I bought. I can't afford a loaded 328 but I can afford a decently equipped one. Mine has metallic paint, value package, power shades and heated seats as well as MT. However that does not equate to ignoring maintenance and I think your premise is highly speculative. I can guarantee that there are many people with $50K+ 335i's that ignore maintenance as well. The person that ignores maintenance is the one who buys the car for the badge and likes to be seen in a BMW. I don't know if there's a financial correlation to what we refer to as a badge whore.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Buying the premium package to me indicates the person has different values. I have as a buyer of 3 BMWs so far never cared about a moonroof, power seats, dimming mirrors, garage door openers, lumbar, integrated bluetooth/assist. These things do not help the car perform and in many instances actually hinder performance and my enjoyment of the car.

They sell M3s without moonroofs too - does this mean buyers who do not opt for the moonroof can't afford it?

Finally, there's a big difference between desire to pay for something and ability to pay for it. One can have the means to pay for something but see no value or even negative value in purchasing the item as offered. A moonroof is a negative value add-on - adding weight, weakening the chassis, less headroom for a helmet and in no way enhancing anything about the car.

Some items are so important I can see them raising the price and I wouldn't blink. Charging a premium for manual makes sense to me and I'd pay it. It's that important to how a BMW feels.
Hence my acknowledgement of enthusiasts.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:56 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
If I were on the market for an F30 the essentials for me would be:
Sportline-for the seats and shadow line trim, and 18"
M-adaptive suspension
Navigation
BT-BMW Apps
6MT

I have mixed feelings about xenons. I wouldn't have got them if they hadn't come standard on the 335d. However, I have really come to appreciate them over the past 6 months. I wouldn't think twice about buying them for $900. But having to add the ZPP just to to have the pleasure of doing so is not something this dude can abide.

I know how to park (never gotten a single bit of curb rash on any car I've ever owned in 20 years). I know how to stay in my lane. I know not to smash into the car in front of me whilst driving on the highway.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 01-19-2012, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Xenon lights are really great in the southwestern states, where we drive very fast at night (yes, legally). I ordered Xenon lights as a stand-alone option on my E90 (as well as my E46 several years ago).

I would certainly order Xenon lights again on the F30, if they were available as a stand-alone option. The Premium Package is something I do NOT want, mostly due to the mandatory moonroof (reduces headroom). Therefore, I am faced with trying to retrofit the Xenon lights on a new F30 (without Premium Package). Or, I can simply keep my E90 for a much longer time than planned. Perhaps BMW USA will correct this for 2013.

Last edited by alpinweiss; 01-19-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
[QUOTE=alpinweiss;6572918]
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
in my situation, since i ordered 1450 leather, it would have cost me 3000 for xenons. LMFAO, i they are cool and all, but im buying the car for how it drives and feels.
QUOTE]

Xenon lights are really great in the southwestern states, where we drive very fast at night (yes, legally). I ordered Xenon lights as a stand-alone option on my E90 (as well as my E46 several years ago).

I would certainly order Xenon lights again on the F30, if they were available as a stand-alone option. The Premium Package is something I do NOT want, mostly due to the mandatory moonroof (reduces headroom). Therefore, I am faced with trying to retrofit the Xenon lights on a new F30 (without Premium Package). Or, I can simply keep my E90 for a much longer time than planned. Perhaps BMW USA will correct this for 2013.

I am leasing, so it wouldnt make sense for me, but maybe just ask your dealer to order the lights...see how much they cost...say you got in an accident or something and wanted to put xenons on instead of the halogens...you might be able to do something like that.