Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-03-2015, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: E39 525i
Swaybars Advice

Good Afternoon

Last time I stopped at the mechanic I was told that my sway bars end links needed to be replaced and that a few bolts where needed. Since I'm already going to be poking around down there is there anything else you guys would advice me to fix or repair? My 525I has over 240,000 on the clock so I know that their plenty of things going in the suspension I would like to cover as much ground at a time.
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2015, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528iAT
All we can do is guess. The best thing to do is have your mechanic perform inspection 1 and 2 which should turn up every major issue with the vehicle. Then you can repair them in order from the most to least critical. You will probably find a few jobs you can even do yourself.
Here's some more info:
http://www.bimmershops.com/bmw-inspection-1
http://www.bimmershops.com/bmw-inspection-2
Old 08-03-2015, 12:48 PM

Thank you very much this will be quite helpful specially since the vehicle needs a lot of TLC, the previous owner had cut some corners trying to be save money.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528iAT
All the more reason to do a thorough inspection. If you are mechanically inclined, you will find it is a very serviceable car and everything you need or want to do has been done before. There are thousands of DiYs posted on the Internet. Make sure to add your chassis ID when searching like this: e39 525i

When you have it repaired, here's the TLC it needs: http://blog.bavauto.com/9906/bavaria...nce-schedules/

Good part sources:
autohausaz.com
fcpeuro.com
getbmwparts.com
turnermotorsports.com
bavauto.com
ecstuning.com

Thank you for keeping another beauty on the road!
Old 08-03-2015, 10:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport, Scuderia
When replacing end links, you might as well replace the sway bar bushings. It only cost a few more dollars and time to do. Safest to purchase oem Lemforder endlinks. I did try the Meyle brand on the front, and after 50k+ miles, they are still holding up fine. Some have tried off brands and they failed prematurely...
Factory 540 M-Sport (Canadian market), factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, H&R 15mm spacers, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the information this arms me a little better for the future endeavor.

For the Bushings I'm leaning OEM since based on what I've been reading up most BMW OEM are usually superior to most aftermarket. Someone I was talking to brought up the Power flex but I'm finding that they tend to give more grief than their worth. Advice?
Old 08-04-2015, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 02 540i 6MT
Check for busted rear brackets - pretty common but if your indy already did a quick look I'm sure he would've identified that?

Not much benefit going to a poly bushing on the SWB but I run them in the rear with a thicker bar as well. I did have to trim them to fit.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Tanker View Post
Thanks for the information this arms me a little better for the future endeavor.

For the Bushings I'm leaning OEM since based on what I've been reading up most BMW OEM are usually superior to most aftermarket. Someone I was talking to brought up the Power flex but I'm finding that they tend to give more grief than their worth. Advice?
I prefer oem. My experience with poly bushings, even graphite (and greased well), will eventually start squeaking and making noise.

Poly are superior performing, but I am not going to pull them apart and regrease them annually or whatever is required...I'm lazy.
Factory 540 M-Sport (Canadian market), factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, H&R 15mm spacers, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:53 AM
Looney Tuner

Mein Auto: TOTAL TERD 540
I've had very good luck with Bavauto.com's sway bar end links. This is 100% a "while your in there" type job, and for the sake of alignment and such, I would order the Meyle kit that has everything suggested in a suspension refresh. Doing it all at once will not only cut down labor time, but if you do it all at once its just 1 alignment after the fact, rather than piecing it together and needing alignments every time. Ask me how I know, my Dinan 540 had 7 alignments in 17 months.... ugh..
here is the rear
http://www.new-part.com/product/bmw-...FchffgodISwO4A
and the front
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES1892114/?...FYqPfgodc9oN5A
Chad
M62-STAGE 5 Dinan 5-Sport-Sterling/Black-NAV-DSP-PDC-Sunshades-99k-AFE C.A.I-Dinan MAF,Throttle Body, Intake Manifold, Strut Bar, Stage 2 Suspension, Stage 2 Trans Software, Stage 5 DME Tune-Magnaflow Cat-back- 19" Varrstoen ES2 9.5/10.5 on Conti DW 275/30/19

M54-STAGE 3 Dinan 5-Sport-Black/Black-Cold Weather-Dinan C.A.I., Throttle Body, Stage 1 Trans Software, Stage 3 DME tune, Stage 2 Suspension, Floormats-HRE 3 Piece 543r 19x10.5/9.5 on Conti DWS 275/245
Old 08-05-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 M-Sport View Post
When replacing end links, you might as well replace the sway bar bushings. It only cost a few more dollars and time to do. Safest to purchase oem Lemforder endlinks. I did try the Meyle brand on the front, and after 50k+ miles, they are still holding up fine. Some have tried off brands and they failed prematurely...
Only thing I don't like about the Meyle HD v Lemforder is they us a different sort of locking mechanism - Torx or Hex maybe to hold the actual bolt v Lemforder's "bolt" design.

Quote:
I prefer oem. My experience with poly bushings, even graphite (and greased well), will eventually start squeaking and making noise.

Poly are superior performing, but I am not going to pull them apart and regrease them annually or whatever is required...I'm lazy.
It's been over a year on my PU and not a squeak. If you are very liberal on the application of the juice, it should be okay.

There's not much benefit to PU on a SB due to the type of forces at play v. bushings in other places. Std OE bushings are fine.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:19 PM

Meyle versus Lemforder are you speaking of an internal locking bolt or nut, or external? When I installed the Meyle end links (only on front, rears I used Lemforder) I didn't notice anything different about them, other than the "plastic caps" where made of blue plastic...Like I said, after 50k+ miles they are still working fine. I am always suspect of Meyle, and the only other product of theirs I use is the thrust arm bushings...which now that I think about it, have over 90k miles (installed on new Lemforder thrust arms at the time), those things are holding up damn well!
Old 08-06-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Meyle versus Lemforder are you speaking of an internal locking bolt or nut, or external? When I installed the Meyle end links (only on front, rears I used Lemforder) I didn't notice anything different about them, other than the "plastic caps" where made of blue plastic...Like I said, after 50k+ miles they are still working fine. I am always suspect of Meyle, and the only other product of theirs I use is the thrust arm bushings...which now that I think about it, have over 90k miles (installed on new Lemforder thrust arms at the time), those things are holding up damn well!
I was just looking at the pictures now - it looks like they changed or maybe I am confusing it with a different susp part they make?

I remember, if it is correctly or not and I am not thinking of a different suspension part, they did not have the flat spot to hold the internal bolt - rather they had you slide a small hex key to hold it from rotating rather than having the flat spots to hold it while tightening.