Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 11-25-2015, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 M3 Convertible
Brakes and Rotors Recommendations

My 2003 convertible E46 M3 will soon need a brake job. I bought it 6 years ago with only 5,500 miles on it, now it is closer to 47K miles and the front passenger side disc is starting to make a bit of noise. No alarm or indicator has shown up yet but I figure is not too far away.

My driving is pretty recreational, no tracks or racing involved. I read several threads on this site but could not come up with any specific determination other than to remain close to the stock brakes and rotors.

I love the braking power of the stock brakes but HATE how dusty and messy they are, specially in the front. I don't do any automobile work but I have a very good and trusted mechanic that owns a 1998 M3 and loves my car. I mentioned to him how unhappy I was with the brake dust and he suggested replacing both the rotors and pads at the same time. I really would like to get a different type of pad to reduce the brake dust. He suggested to go with ceramics but was not very specific as far as brands or specs.

I have a few questions:
1- After reading several threads in this site, staying with stock type rotors seems like the right call, but are there any superior or recommended brands/models by other users out there?
2- Any particular reason to go or avoid slotted or holed types rotors?
3- How about the pads? Ceramics or other types? I really want to stay away from the dusty ones. (Pet peeve)
4- Any specific brands/models/types for pads?
5- How about longevity of the rotors or pads? I know that it truly depends on the driving style but any information would be appreciated. Stock brakes last me over 40K miles so my driving is mostly passive. :-)
6- Are there any brands of rotors or pads to stay away and for what reason?
7- I would like to keep costs within reason but I prefer quality over lower costs.

I appreciate any information provided. I store the M3 over the winter given I live around Chicago. My plans are to get the brakes done in the spring so I have time to collect data and make my evaluation.

TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	passenger side.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	539861  
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2016, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d, 2006 M3
well, we did front brakes rotors and pads from ECS, love them. They have complete kits or you can mix and match. They have some euro ceramic pads that they tout as being very low noise and DUST. we went slotted and drilled, and it looks cool. and they brake at least as well as the ones we took off. Soon time for rear brakes, and we will do the same there. (we did it in the drive way. if you have proper tools its a snap.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 M3 Convertible
Thanks for the response Sushiholic. ECS was one of the suppliers I had in mind. Thanks for the reference on the types of disks I am also thinking about going slotted not sure on the drilled yet but I agree it must look cool.

TIA
Old 02-02-2016, 02:08 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '02 M3, '91 E30
Hawk and Ekebono have good low-dust options. There's a trade-off, you lose some initial bite and responsiveness. For some is worth it, at least you have clean wheels for longer!
I'd keep stock rotors, unless you like the "looks" of the slotted/drilled rotors, there is no difference in performance for how you drive the car.

1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black Leather, Black top, Three Pedals.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto:
Stoptech rotors and ekebono pads. Check rockauto for great prices on both .
Old 07-13-2016, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 02 BMW M3
Personally, I enjoy cleaning my rims. I put ceramic brakes on my wifes 07' 328i and hate em. I'll never do that to my M3.

Sorry, i'm not help. I'm just saying I'd put up with the cleaning and keep that amazing initial bite that makes spit your gum out
Old 07-13-2016, 01:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i X; 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
Hawk and Ekebono have good low-dust options. There's a trade-off, you lose some initial bite and responsiveness. For some is worth it, at least you have clean wheels for longer!
I'd keep stock rotors, unless you like the "looks" of the slotted/drilled rotors, there is no difference in performance for how you drive the car.
That has not been my experience. Slotted or drilled rotors I have had were noisy and did not perform as well as plain ones.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
brake dust, brakes, m3, rotors

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Today's Posts Search