Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 08-07-2016, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 M3
fog light housing is horrible

Just replaced a fog light on my 2003 M3. The plastic surround housing that you un-clip is total garbage; my strong opinion, sorry. When replaced, and I seated the light properly on the left side with the plastic "guides" to then line up perfectly for the one retaining 8mm screw.
However, the surround plastic, now that I see how it is made, is total and complete crap.
It won't secure back in place other than a very, very light "clip" and I guarantee will fall out at the first minor bump.

So, not interested in debating the quality of this part, but what any of you may have done to secure that housing properly or should I just hot glue the POS?

Sigh, great overall car; worst plastic parts EVER!!!
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2016, 12:43 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
At the back side is letter L or R. Maybe you swithed them and so they don't stay in place well. Otherwise put some silicone or hot glue, whatever. They will sit there anyway
Old 08-08-2016, 04:56 AM

Hot Glue

I only had the left one off to change a bulb. But, good thoughts to start with the basics.
What I found is there is a "guide" near the clip which is so easy to insert on the wrong side. Should have taken a picture to point out for others to benefit.
Anyway, I also dropped a few dime sized hot glue spots that I can separate with a little work when the bulb goes again.

The amount of flimsy plastic parts the E46 has up front between the radiator and the license plate is. . .scary. I know it's all about weight but I would much rather see more screws to secure things than all these flimsy plastic clips which will, without debate, break, over the years.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:54 AM
Registered fo life

Mein Auto: E46 ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbauer View Post
Just replaced a fog light on my 2003 M3. The plastic surround housing that you un-clip is total garbage; my strong opinion, sorry. When replaced, and I seated the light properly on the left side with the plastic "guides" to then line up perfectly for the one retaining 8mm screw.
However, the surround plastic, now that I see how it is made, is total and complete crap.
It won't secure back in place other than a very, very light "clip" and I guarantee will fall out at the first minor bump.

So, not interested in debating the quality of this part, but what any of you may have done to secure that housing properly or should I just hot glue the POS?

Sigh, great overall car; worst plastic parts EVER!!!
Is this the 8mm screw you're talking about?

The previous owner placed these fog lights on but i guess the plastic piece that covers around the fog light fell off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fog light.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	573414  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes Benz View Post
Just waxing the BMW, admiring it, stroking the smooth metal, and thinking what mods can be done.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:00 AM

Plastic cover

The 8mm screw retains the fog light. I was referring to the plastic surround boot / cover you pull off prior to unscrewing the 8mm etc, etc. You have to be really careful on the outside clip that part of it goes in front and part goes behihnd the other material used to retain. It's just flimsy as anything. I added a dime size of hot glue to help retain and this helped a lot to strengthen an otherwise crap design.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:03 AM
Registered fo life

Mein Auto: E46 ///M
Gotcha. Yeah, that's the plastic piece i need

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes Benz View Post
Just waxing the BMW, admiring it, stroking the smooth metal, and thinking what mods can be done.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:05 AM

Part

Sorry, I don't have a part number for you.
I am not surprised it fell off, not one bit; unfortunately.

Last edited by markbauer; 08-16-2016 at 09:06 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Today's Posts Search