Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-02-2013, 02:17 AM

Mein Auto: 520 efficient dynamic
New bmw good but a bit disappointed....

My first brand new bmw got delivered two weeks ago and it has some great features.
Love the 50mpg getting from efficient dynamics.
Love the handling.
Love the iPod connectivity of the media player....

But.....

Is it me or is the paintwork terrible???
There is really bad orange peel on the body work- it even has orange peel on the interior dash!!

This is my first bmw, I have had jags, Lexus before the paintwork was much better!
I ordered the BMW without looking at it on strength of great BIK tax code and connected drive system. I didn't expect it to look like a massive grapefruit.

Another gripe- I have had the car 2 weeks and connected drive still not connected. The website to register is terrible and gives no feedback. BMW customer service is not much better- I have rung them a couple of times and they tell me it will come in a couple of days!
How hard can it be!

You get a better service from jaguar........
Ads by Google
Old 07-02-2013, 02:19 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbs View Post
My first brand new bmw got delivered two weeks ago and it has some great features.
Love the 50mpg getting from efficient dynamics.
Love the handling.
Love the iPod connectivity of the media player....

But.....

Is it me or is the paintwork terrible???
There is really bad orange peel on the body work- it even has orange peel on the interior dash!!
This is my first bmw, I have had jags, Lexus before the paintwork was much better!
I ordered the BMW without looking at it on strength of great BIK tax code and connected drive system. I didn't expect it to look like a massive grapefruit.

Another gripe- I have had the car 2 weeks and connected drive still not connected. The website to register is terrible and gives no feedback. BMW customer service is not much better- I have rung them a couple of times and they tell me it will come in a couple of days!
How hard can it be!

You get a better service from jaguar........
Old 07-02-2013, 02:25 AM

Mein Auto: 520 efficient dynamic
Ah sorry- orange peel- paint surface that resembles the peel of an orange!

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1671876
Old 07-02-2013, 02:33 AM
Chitown traveller

Mein Auto: 535i X-Drive
Where is there paint on the interior dash for you to notice orange peel ?

Other than that I agree it's fairly obvious on Audis too. Both my A4 and 535 have it from the factory.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550xi M-Sport
I agree, the paint job on my 2012 550 is horrible. Possibly the worst of any car I've owned. I just picked up a 2013 Nissan Murano for my wife and its paint job is head and shoulders above my BMW.

Pretty sad for BMW
Old 07-02-2013, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscott View Post
I agree, the paint job on my 2012 550 is horrible. Possibly the worst of any car I've owned. I just picked up a 2013 Nissan Murano for my wife and its paint job is head and shoulders above my BMW.

Pretty sad for BMW

Interesting. Can you post some comparison pictures?
Old 07-02-2013, 06:39 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to MoldCAD
Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
Unfortunately I have to agree... The build quality has deteriorated tremendously, comparing my 2013 528xi with my old good E46 330i

Last edited by MoldCAD; 07-02-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550ix Msport
These cars are mass produced and at the price point the expectations are set too high by the consumer....As I age I always tell myself it is a deteriorating investment that holds little value and its just a F'ing car.......
Old 07-02-2013, 07:20 AM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Re: New bmw good but a bit disappointed....

For what its worth, BMW has had a reputation for crappy paint quality for YEARS.

Not excusing it, just saying it's nothing new.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 07-02-2013, 07:34 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to MoldCAD
Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
For what its worth, BMW has had a reputation for crappy paint quality for YEARS.
If by YEARS you mean less than 10, it's possible - however my E46 (built in November 2002) had absolutely great paint on it. In the probably most practical Titanium Silver metallic, it had no whirls, scratches or rock peels - none at all, when I was selling it last December.

BTW it's not only the paint that is not of premium quality any more; I'll just give you 2 typical examples of the overall poor quality in my 528xi:

- the double black exhaust tips are already corroding (after 6 months)
- when I grab the rear view mirror to adjust it, the plastic plays and almost cracks in my hand

I only hope the most expensive part (power-train, suspension) will last, but my hope is a wishful thinking I'm afraid....

Old 07-02-2013, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
As others have said, this is nothing new. BMW paint sucks...in my opinion, the worst of the German three (Mercedes > Audi > BMW).

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 07-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
I feel like orange peel is prevalent from like all cars now. But I did notice pretty bad orange peel on my car when looking at it and focusing on that aspect today. Seems heavier on some panel materials than others. I guess it doesn't bother me so much but maybe having a black car makes orange peel less noticeable, but it's definitely there. If it's a quality control issue that would be pretty lousy of BMW.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 07-02-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:01 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Isn't the only way to get rid of orange peel to wet sand it after clear coat? That would be pretty expensive for a mass produced vehicle.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 07-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Just Confused...

Mein Auto: 01 530i; 04 S2k; 94 Supra
Here is an article on orange peel: http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/...rangePeel.html

Basically it comes when the paint drys to fast to flow. Incorrect application is the problem. Coats to thick. Solvents that dry to quickly. Insufficient drying time between coats. Or just poor gun technique. The last could occur from automated spray equipment without sufficient sophistication. The others would be the cause of manufacturing techniques favoring speed of quality. Post production cars have orange peel.

Many cars also tend to have small flakes in their metallics. Sometimes metallics are applied to wet and the flakes don't stand up. Honda uses something that is better described as dust than flakes.

I haven't seen any of the Individual paints in years. When I was last in Germany, the designo and Individual paints seemed to be a solid step up in quality. Mystic Red and Mystic Blue were especially nice.

Lexus spends a bit more money on their paint, although I've seen orange peel there too. However, their paints have a depth and luster missing from their competitors.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:36 PM
Just Confused...

Mein Auto: 01 530i; 04 S2k; 94 Supra
This is from page 21 of this manual: http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/wc...p/swaf-tsg.pdf

ORANGE PEEL
( Poor Flow, Texture)
Paint film having an uneven texture that resembles the skin of an orange.

CAUSE
(A) Under reduction and/or air pressure too low.
(B) Thinner/reducer evaporates too fast for spray conditions.
(C) Excessive film thickness or piling on of heavy wet coats.
(D) Improper spray gun set-up.
(E) Improper painting technique.
REPAIR
(1) Compound or polish to reduce surface texture.
(2) Or, sand smooth with 1200 or finer grit sandpaper, compound and polish to restore gloss.
(3) Or, sand smooth and refinish
PREVENTION
(A) Use proper reduction ratio and spray at recommended air pressure.
(B) Select recommended thinner/reducer based on temperature, humidity, air movement, and size
of repair.
(C) Avoid heavy coats and excessive film thickness.
(D) Use recommended spray gun, fluid tip and air cap for the material being sprayed. Always
adjust the gun for best atomization and balanced spray pattern before paint application.
(E) During paint application, hold the gun perpendicular and parallel to the surface. Adjust
speed of pass, pattern overlap, and distance from the panel to achieve the desired appearance.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Over 20 years owning BMWs

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
Back in the 90's, when Roger Smith (CEO General Motors from 1992 - 2000) was interviewed about GM's poor quality, when asked about orange peel his answer was: "well, orange peel is a good thing, it means that we use lots of paint, and our customers like that..."
2012 535i | Built 8/25˜9/07 2011 | Delivered 10-15-2011 | Carbon Black | Oyster Black Dakota Leather | M-Sport Pkg | Luxury Seating Pkg | Premium Pkg | Premium Sound Pkg | Technology Pkg | Sport Auto Trans. | Split Fold-Down Seats | Heated Seats | Side & Top View Cameras | Heads-Up Display | BMW Apps | Black Panel Display | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Roof Spoiler | Quad Exhaust | AirBlue Tint | Turner Wheel Spacers | Euro Plates | Hardwire V1 w/BOB | Media Cradle | Debadged | Kitchen Sink Pkg...
Old 07-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Dark Knight

Jeez, Roger Smith huh. That guy should be barred from every buying or driving a car again in his life. GM's being designed/developed/produced during his run were perhaps the biggest compromised death traps in the history of automobiles. To think about how many lost their lives or were injured because the cars he oversaw were as unsafe as you could ever fear a car could be is maddeningly saddening.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:39 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNJ View Post
Here is an article on orange peel: http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/...rangePeel.html

Basically it comes when the paint drys to fast to flow. Incorrect application is the problem. Coats to thick. Solvents that dry to quickly. Insufficient drying time between coats. Or just poor gun technique. The last could occur from automated spray equipment without sufficient sophistication. The others would be the cause of manufacturing techniques favoring speed of quality. Post production cars have orange peel.

Many cars also tend to have small flakes in their metallics. Sometimes metallics are applied to wet and the flakes don't stand up. Honda uses something that is better described as dust than flakes.

I haven't seen any of the Individual paints in years. When I was last in Germany, the designo and Individual paints seemed to be a solid step up in quality. Mystic Red and Mystic Blue were especially nice.

Lexus spends a bit more money on their paint, although I've seen orange peel there too. However, their paints have a depth and luster missing from their competitors.
Too, two, to. Three different words.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 07-05-2013, 07:48 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I think some of you may be confusing true "orange peel", with what I notice to be a much more subtle "symptom", or characteristic, of some paint. I'm not sure the term for what I'm referring to would be "orange peel". Orange peel for me, is truly very noticeable, small dimple-like areas in the paint. I've never seen that on any of my 3 BMW's, or BMW's in general. What I do notice on our cars, and many others, is a slight "mottling", again not exactly sure how to describe it. It is much more subtle than orange peel, and I don't really think it's a defect or deficiency.

I have complained about the susceptibility of most German paints (MB, BMW, VW) to light scratching. There's no question for me that the German paints scratch much, much easier than Japanese, or even U.S. car paint finishes. All I know is, I've had 3 Black Sapphire BMW's, and the paint appearance in general, is that of highly polished, shiny and with a depth of color -- superior to most other cars. And that is only with occasional, "normal" waxing and upkeep on my part. I still love to look at my Black Sapphire on a sunny day and appreciate it for the beautiful color it is. Not too many cars look shinier than mine, well, except maybe for K-A's!

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 07-05-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Not too many cars look shinier than mine, well, except maybe for K-A's!
Haha! I wish I could say it was easy and effortless!
Old 07-06-2013, 04:41 AM

Mein Auto: See Sig
I don't think my BMW paint is any worse than any other car I have owned (and I've owned a lot). This includes the 2010 Lexus I had before it. In fact, one thing I don't see after a year and a half is paint swirls. I'm not saying it doesn't have any at all, but it is certainly less noticeable than ANY other car in my memory.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:06 AM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
I don't think my BMW paint is any worse than any other car I have owned (and I've owned a lot). This includes the 2010 Lexus I had before it. In fact, one thing I don't see after a year and a half is paint swirls. I'm not saying it doesn't have any at all, but it is certainly less noticeable than ANY other car in my memory.
I think there's a dichotomy here between "paint durability/application quality" and "paint shine quality".

I can't personally judge the former as like I said I had 2 brand new Mercedes' with some of the shoddiest paint application I've ever seen on a car and the only negative I can tell from my BMW's paint is some orange peel which is almost impossible to notice on the black car (and being a black car the paint is naturally soft with soft clearcoat therefore chipping and scratching seems easy if not careful).

However if we're talking *Appearance quality* in terms of shine, IMO BMW paint shines amongst the best. Their blacks and whites and silvers always out-pop other cars I feel like. Don't even get me started on their blue's.... the nicest blue's in the history of the automobile.... and their reds pop.... their "frozen" paints are amongst the nicest OEM matte paints, etc. etc.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.