Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 02-19-2012, 02:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 428i M-Coupe
More ghetto BMWs??

Is it me or are more and more people turning their beautiful BMWs into ghetto pos's?

Seems like every time I log onto here there is a new topic on which rim looks better. This ghetto one or this ghetto one.

I mean can you really not tell that both rims looks like crap, or that customization would make the car look beyond stupid.

Hate me all you want. I don't care. What I do care about is seeing perfectly decent well looking cars going down the drain.

I would post pics, but let's be perfectly frank here. You have seen them, and thought the exact same thing.

2014 BMW 428i ~~ Black Sapphire Metallic ~~ Black Dakota ~ Dark Burl Walnut ~~ M Sport Package w/ 18" 441M RF ~~ Manual Transmission ~~ Premium Package ~~ Heated Front Seats ~~ Navigation w/ Touchpad ~~ Auto High Beams

Previous Models:

2011 BMW Z4 30i
2009 BMW 328i E92
2005 BMW X3 2.5i

Advertisement
Old 02-19-2012, 02:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
What's wrong with adding some different rims or tints or whatever you classify as "ghetto" to make it unique? Who wants the same stock rims and look that everyone else has? Nothing wrong with that at all IMO. Besides, why does everyone have to like what you like? Everyone has their own taste and opinion. It's their car to look at and drive everyday, not yours. Why do you care so much?
Old 02-19-2012, 02:59 AM

Nothing wrong with adding rims, customizing, and making it your own, but when it's trashy then it looks bad, and I'm tired of seeing it.

Sad part is that people are growing up in a civilization where they think things look great when it's really more of; "What did you do."

Plus I never said anyone has to do what I say when it comes to their car. It is their car, and they can trash it or make it a Di Vinci if they choose. I just wish more would make art.

2014 BMW 428i ~~ Black Sapphire Metallic ~~ Black Dakota ~ Dark Burl Walnut ~~ M Sport Package w/ 18" 441M RF ~~ Manual Transmission ~~ Premium Package ~~ Heated Front Seats ~~ Navigation w/ Touchpad ~~ Auto High Beams

Previous Models:

2011 BMW Z4 30i
2009 BMW 328i E92
2005 BMW X3 2.5i

Old 02-19-2012, 03:02 AM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
A lot of it has to do with the demographic that is infiltrated these boards. The e90 is now affordable to that pimplefaced faced teen that grew up watching pimp my ride. I agree. There's another forum that is more welcoming of the 2fast2furious garbage.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Bimmer
Old 02-19-2012, 03:03 AM

Forgive me. I must've misunderstood.

Anyway, we'll see how that works out for them when they try to sell

Being from Brooklyn, NY though, I have seen this for many many years and not just recently. I guess I got used to it over time.

Last edited by Itinj6; 02-19-2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
Forgive me. I must've misunderstood.

Anyway, we'll see how that works out for them when they try to sell

Being from Brooklyn, NY though, I have seen this for many many years. Not just recently. I guess I got used to it
No you were fine. It's hard to tell a "mood" by just words on a screen. (technology for you)

But you are right. I live in NC, and because of the majority of demographics in the state. Over sized wheels and such are considered the thing, and I don't see it going away.

One reason I actually moved across state and got a new career was to get away from that.

I see it a lot less, and because of that it's not "normal" to see anymore so just irates me to see my family (Germans) build a marvel of engineering and people will turn it around to make it look like trash.

As far as customizing goes. I want to get a body kit for my 3, and do the mods I want, but I look at the design of the car and use that as my template. Not change the car to fit the mod. If that makes since.

Previous Models:

2011 BMW Z4 30i
2009 BMW 328i E92
2005 BMW X3 2.5i

Old 02-19-2012, 03:26 AM

Lol yes I understand now. In your OP, it sounded like you want to see everyone driving plain stock BMWs, exactly the way it came from the factory and nothing more. Once again please pardon the misunderstanding. I may have been a tad offended being that I grew up in the projects (I am a Naval Officer now) and plan on doing some mods myself: Shadowline trim (damn F12/13s don't get them, even with M-Sport and/or custom order), black powder coated 373M stock wheels (think it looks more sporty than ghetto IMO) and black grilles. I just love the all black look. Besides KIT was all black and Michael Knight was far from Ghetto haha.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
Lol yes I understand now. In your OP, it sounded like you want to see everyone driving plain stock BMWs, exactly the way it came from the factory and nothing more. Once again please pardon the misunderstanding. I may have been a tad offended being that I grew up in the projects (I am a Naval Officer now) and plan on doing some mods myself: Shadowline trim (damn F12/13s don't get them, even with M-Sport and/or custom order), black powder coated 373M stock wheels (think it looks more sporty than ghetto IMO) and black grilles. I just love the all black look. Besides KIT was all black and Michael Knight was far from Ghetto haha.
Yeah I want to do the black kidneys, and I also want to take the 2011/12 front and rear M bumper and the 2011/12 headlights housing with led halos, and put those on my '09. Also want to put BMW 199 wheels on.

I'm debating in doing a slight lowering to improve aerodynamics, but not sure. Raleigh has some huge apples bumps and am afraid of bottoming out.

I also want to get the euro style lci rear tail lamps with the orange turn signals vs. the red that they have here in the US.

And could you imagine what a black 3 series would look like as a KIT car. The mustang looked bad a$$. The 3 or new 6 would look stellar.

Previous Models:

2011 BMW Z4 30i
2009 BMW 328i E92
2005 BMW X3 2.5i

Old 02-19-2012, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
Actually, as soon as someone uses the word "rims", I know it's time to tune them out.
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).
Old 02-20-2012, 12:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
I like driving mine perfectly stock
In fact that is why I bought the car, so I wouldn't have to do a thing to it.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650I
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfanatic87 View Post
No you were fine. It's hard to tell a "mood" by just words on a screen. (technology for you)

But you are right. I live in NC, and because of the majority of demographics in the state. Over sized wheels and such are considered the thing, and I don't see it going away.

One reason I actually moved across state and got a new career was to get away from that.

I see it a lot less, and because of that it's not "normal" to see anymore so just irates me to see my family (Germans) build a marvel of engineering and people will turn it around to make it look like trash.

As far as customizing goes. I want to get a body kit for my 3, and do the mods I want, but I look at the design of the car and use that as my template. Not change the car to fit the mod. If that makes since.
While I understand where you are coming from you have to understand the culture of where you are living. You live in North Carolina. Down south there is a large contingent that falls into a car culture that deems bigger rims as better. While I don't think its tasteful thats what they do down there. But really if people can afford the car and whatever additions they put on it then more power to them. I know the things I've done to my car are what "I" like, not what I feel everyone else will like.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 540i
Maybe they like the stock wheels so much, that they put the huge chrome wheels on so they don't have to worry about hurting the stockers.

1997 BMW 540i
Old 02-20-2012, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 525i 2005
In my city, there's a lime green BMW 745 with green and black rims and I have to say it is the most dumbest thing I have ever seen done to a perfect BMW. I must say you can't miss it though.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer App
Old 02-20-2012, 07:38 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfanatic87 View Post
Yeah I want to do the black kidneys, and I also want to take the 2011/12 front and rear M bumper and the 2011/12 headlights housing with led halos, and put those on my '09.
Seriously, you want to do this to your car and have a wannabe car and you're talking trash about what other people are doing to their cars?? Why don't you just save the money and buy what you really want instead of making your car look like something it's not?

Maybe you should have bought a Japanese car. I understand that these types of mods are really popular with that crowd. Some people have actually made a Civic look (almost) like an M3.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 02-20-2012, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: E 61,E 65, 10 range rover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloan165 View Post
+1
Old 02-20-2012, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: 1993 BMW 318is
Nothing the matter with some stuff. I've gotten tips what to do and not to do, but don't come on a friendly site and talk **** on people's cars because some people care about their car and just might not have the money to make it look the nicest. Douche bag
Old 02-21-2012, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650I
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post
Seriously, you want to do this to your car and have a wannabe car and you're talking trash about what other people are doing to their cars??
Lol +1. I personally think its distasteful to make your car look like something its not. Like putting the LED fogs on a bmw to make it look like an Audi... ugh. If I wanted my car to look like a M6... I'd buy an M6.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:49 AM
MSport is Best Sport

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 Coupe, Comp, 6mt
Meh.

The only thing that bugs me is when idiots put fake badges on their low level car to pretend its a M or AMG or S line when its not. Otherwise, you want big wheels, heavy tint or a giant wing- let your freak flag fly my friend.
2005 BMW M3 Coupe Black/Black 6mt- sold
Old 02-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamryn View Post
A lot of it has to do with the demographic that is infiltrated these boards. The e90 is now affordable to that pimplefaced faced teen that grew up watching pimp my ride. I agree. There's another forum that is more welcoming of the 2fast2furious garbage.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Bimmer
+1,000,000,000,000

It has recently gotten completely out of hand!
It was bad enough when people like us could (barely) afford one.
But now!!!

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 03-06-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 1994 325i sedan
so does this make my 1992 325i with newer 18" bmw wheels and M3 kit "ghetto"

DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!! All this time I thought it looked amazing, and all those people have lied to me. Stop being so judgemental and closed minded. If you don't like seeing them, close your eyes or log off
Old 03-04-2012, 09:00 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i Convertible
And what's with the "debadging" nonsense? Would you buy a Picasso and try to blot out his signature?

Thank God the bumper sticker craze of the 70's has pretty much died out. I'd cry if I saw a Bimmer with "This car climbed Mt. Washington" and "Wall Drug" plastered across the back.

I guess if you have the cash you can do what you want but tacky will always be tacky.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Ghetto BMW's?.. C'mon fellas... If you want exclusivity buy an Aston Martin or a Ferrari.. BMW is a volume brand now... The three series is the car that's leading the way. As long as that's the case people will continue to buy them and customize them to their taste. Either way it shouldn't affect you...
Old 03-06-2012, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 1994 325i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmM HoLLa View Post
Ghetto BMW's?.. C'mon fellas... If you want exclusivity buy an Aston Martin or a Ferrari.. BMW is a volume brand now... The three series is the car that's leading the way. As long as that's the case people will continue to buy them and customize them to their taste. Either way it shouldn't affect you...

Nuff said. Thank you sir
Old 02-05-2013, 05:15 PM
BMW X5 35d - 2010-2013

Mein Auto: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedstuyguy86 View Post
Lol +1. I personally think its distasteful to make your car look like something its not. Like putting the LED fogs on a bmw to make it look like an Audi... ugh.
You know... you are right. I have to be honest here. I read in another forum (on here somewhere) that the BMW is pretty stale and the Audi Q5 and Q7 are freaking hot!!!!
I love BMW X5. I sat in one at the dealership by mistake and I was blown away. However, I live in New York City and every time a Q7 roll up, I take a double look. Many people may say its too long or big but It looks GOOD! Of course, in my humble opinion.

I have not seen any BMW on the street that look like the ones on www.bmwusa.com advertisement. The ads are bright colored and the vehicle is shiny. Every BMW i've seen (currently) is dull and stale. I love the car. Please don't take it the wrong way. I am getting one. I was just distracted when I heard the BMW x5 looks stale. I was hurt. But it is winter and a lot of snow, rain, and salt contributed to the issue.

Now before you start screaming at me, I have seen some really pimped-out cars that was so overdone with different after market features and LED lights, I wanted to scream (back in 1998 to 2007). I totally understand what you are saying. The owner loves it and the attention it draws.

What I really want is a fully loaded BMW with less than 20k mileage for $ 30K (2010).
Old 02-05-2013, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloan165 View Post
same here.though i find the op using the word ghetto funny. i get where they are coming from though

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App