Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 02-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i after May ED
Is it ghetto if you add OEM carbon fibre mirror caps or OEM spoiler to a 3 series?

What if you add it but it's not OEM?

Is it ghetto to vinyl wrap your roof black? What about carbon fibre?

So many questions, one answer: It's your car, if you like it, it doesn't matter.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluhwein View Post
And what's with the "debadging" nonsense? Would you buy a Picasso and try to blot out his signature?

Thank God the bumper sticker craze of the 70's has pretty much died out. I'd cry if I saw a Bimmer with "This car climbed Mt. Washington" and "Wall Drug" plastered across the back.

I guess if you have the cash you can do what you want but tacky will always be tacky.
I have three "This Car Climbed Mount Washington" bumper stickers from 3 years of attending Bimmerfest Climb to the Clouds. None of them are on my 335i but it has climbed Mount Washington 3 times.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 02-05-2013, 07:34 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfanatic87 View Post
Is it me or are more and more people turning their beautiful BMWs into ghetto pos's?

Seems like every time I log onto here there is a new topic on which rim looks better. This ghetto one or this ghetto one.

I mean can you really not tell that both rims looks like crap, or that customization would make the car look beyond stupid.

Hate me all you want. I don't care. What I do care about is seeing perfectly decent well looking cars going down the drain.

I would post pics, but let's be perfectly frank here. You have seen them, and thought the exact same thing.
Hey; if you have nothing else to be proud of you can brag about your rims and your immaculate polish job and tints. Even though they reduce your resale value you can treasure your individuality.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 7 Series
Rims and minor spoilers are okay, but when they add too much at once it makes it just plain yuck. For me, sometimes less is better, but I must say it depends on the BMW.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:58 PM
Coffee Extraordinaire

Mein Auto: 2001 740i Sport
I love my car just the way it is.

I have to say. I have owned over 150 cars in many different countries. I have done everything imaginable to vehicles. from 4 layer custom window tint to hydraulic beds & suspensions, cutting coils, V8 chevettes, subwoofer walls & 10,000 watts, welded diff's on the street in busted up drift cars missing bumpers & different rims, 4-5 different colors, cut tops off... you name it I did it.

I do not care what ANYONE does to their car. As I do not care what anyone thinks of mine. I do not enter car shows... I do burnouts next to them. I enjoy my junk.

All I do when I see a car that is not to MY liking is I laugh to myself.

But when you see a car that is a Nissan Sentra GTR Ferrari with spinner hubcaps, straight pipe exhaust, busted to hell windshield, neon lights & a Jesus bobble head statue on the dash.... that you get into because it is a Taxi.. you just do not know what bad is.

Viva Panama......lol
Old 02-06-2013, 05:24 AM
Original Owners Club

Mein Auto: '10 E93;'66 MGB;'73 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackies35 View Post
You know... you are right. I have to be honest here. I read in another forum (on here somewhere) that the BMW is pretty stale and the Audi Q5 and Q7 are freaking hot!!!!
I love BMW X5. I sat in one at the dealership by mistake and I was blown away. However, I live in New York City and every time a Q7 roll up, I take a double look. Many people may say its too long or big but It looks GOOD! Of course, in my humble opinion.

I have not seen any BMW on the street that look like the ones on www.bmwusa.com advertisement. The ads are bright colored and the vehicle is shiny. Every BMW i've seen (currently) is dull and stale. I love the car. Please don't take it the wrong way. I am getting one. I was just distracted when I heard the BMW x5 looks stale. I was hurt. But it is winter and a lot of snow, rain, and salt contributed to the issue.

Now before you start screaming at me, I have seen some really pimped-out cars that was so overdone with different after market features and LED lights, I wanted to scream (back in 1998 to 2007). I totally understand what you are saying. The owner loves it and the attention it draws.

What I really want is a fully loaded BMW with less than 20k mileage for $ 30K (2010).
Nice nerco-post - but you can do better, instead of one that is a year old, try for one 4 or 5 years old...

Other Cars:
1973 Datsun 240Z
1966 MGB Roadster
Old 02-06-2013, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: Acura MDX
Just because someone wants to customize their car, whether its throwing on some rims or changing the exhausts or some body kits, doesn't mean that its ghetto. In reality ghetto doesn't mean anything, it's only how you personally define it and if you want to define it like that then good for you. But ghetto in reality, in my opinion is a reference to areas of low income households. Anyway, look at nascar or even some cars of politicians who have non-stock rims or other mods. Would you call that ghetto to? Not that I customize my car or anything, but the way you're using the language is a little misleading i believe.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:26 AM
The UltimatE46 Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2005 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
Is it ghetto if you add OEM carbon fibre mirror caps or OEM spoiler to a 3 series?

What if you add it but it's not OEM?

Is it ghetto to vinyl wrap your roof black? What about carbon fibre?

So many questions, one answer: It's your car, if you like it, it doesn't matter.
My roof is in fact vinyl wrapped gloss black and I have CF splitters and fog duct covers but had those painted to match the body.

It doesn't matter to me if people think my ride's ghetto, I still catch guys (and a few girls every now and then) taking pics of it or with it when I'm out for work or at school, etc.

Edit: This thread also reminded me, I still have to debadge "330Ci" off the trunk.

Last edited by JayKayo; 02-06-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
Live and let live folks, it makes a happier world.....
Old 02-14-2013, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci
I know this is old but I feel the OP is out of line... I travel the country attending car shows and events with my charity and I see it all, from fake vents to non functional wings and I laugh at it but it cost me nothing so I pay it no mind, the OP may even think or classify my 6 as ghetto but thats his opinion and I will still sleep great at night. I dont need his co-sign, sWhen I have little kids wanting to take pictures or yelling "thats my car"... thats where I get satisfaction... the trophies or any other accolades mean nada. A mans car and design is subjective. I see guys driving crown vics with big wheels, fake vents and woody wood pecker cartoons on them and cringe but hey its not my car or car note so i let them live. Its one thing to not like something but to classify something you do not agree with as "ghetto is reckless.

08 Chrysler 300c stock

2005 BMW 645ci: DINAN Stage 2 software, Magnaflow Custom cat back race exhaust, AFE stage 2 pro dry CAI, GFG custom painted/CF Hydro dipped Medellin wheels (22x9 front, 22x10.5 rear) AC SChnitzer dash kit, Matte Aluminum Red with Carbon Fiber BMW performace stripe wrap, custom roundels, Yellow fogs, custom painted brake duct rings.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynsFinest View Post
I know this is old but I feel the OP is out of line... I travel the country attending car shows and events with my charity and I see it all, from fake vents to non functional wings and I laugh at it but it cost me nothing so I pay it no mind, the OP may even think or classify my 6 as ghetto but thats his opinion and I will still sleep great at night. I dont need his co-sign, sWhen I have little kids wanting to take pictures or yelling "thats my car"... thats where I get satisfaction... the trophies or any other accolades mean nada. A mans car and design is subjective. I see guys driving crown vics with big wheels, fake vents and woody wood pecker cartoons on them and cringe but hey its not my car or car note so i let them live. Its one thing to not like something but to classify something you do not agree with as "ghetto is reckless.
Great post. Agree completely.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
So I guess you would have an issue with the dude on the 6 series forum who took a new 650 and wall papered it with some Matt black film.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=673037

Last edited by chuck92116; 02-14-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTriad View Post
In my city, there's a lime green BMW 745 with green and black rims and I have to say it is the most dumbest thing I have ever seen done to a perfect BMW. I must say you can't miss it though.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer App
I think I saw that car at Rolfs in Lakewood when I picked up my Benz today.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:35 PM
puppet master

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
My 3 series with ghetto (stock) wheels! http://flic.kr/p/e2bvGC
Old 03-17-2013, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i Sedan
I think my '07 328i is great the way it is. I wasn't expecting the back windshield and side wondows to be tinted when I got it, but it's all original stock from what I can tell and it is beautiful the way it is to me.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: X5
If I do any customizations, they will look as OEM and clean as possible. Nothing flashy.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Hey you should be free to leave your car stock or change everything on it. As long as you aren't creating an unsafe situation I say go for it. To each his own!

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Old 06-14-2013, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espresso View Post
I love my car just the way it is.

I have to say. I have owned over 150 cars in many different countries. I have done everything imaginable to vehicles. from 4 layer custom window tint to hydraulic beds & suspensions, cutting coils, V8 chevettes, subwoofer walls & 10,000 watts, welded diff's on the street in busted up drift cars missing bumpers & different rims, 4-5 different colors, cut tops off... you name it I did it.

I do not care what ANYONE does to their car. As I do not care what anyone thinks of mine. I do not enter car shows... I do burnouts next to them. I enjoy my junk.

All I do when I see a car that is not to MY liking is I laugh to myself.

But when you see a car that is a Nissan Sentra GTR Ferrari with spinner hubcaps, straight pipe exhaust, busted to hell windshield, neon lights & a Jesus bobble head statue on the dash.... that you get into because it is a Taxi.. you just do not know what bad is.

Viva Panama......lol

That is a beautiful car, love the look of that older bmw.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:28 AM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
More ghetto BMWs??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfanatic87 View Post
Is it me or are more and more people turning their beautiful BMWs into ghetto pos's?

Seems like every time I log onto here there is a new topic on which rim looks better. This ghetto one or this ghetto one.

I mean can you really not tell that both rims looks like crap, or that customization would make the car look beyond stupid.

Hate me all you want. I don't care. What I do care about is seeing perfectly decent well looking cars going down the drain.

I would post pics, but let's be perfectly frank here. You have seen them, and thought the exact same thing.
Sorry, gramps. Do I have your permission to buy black BMW performance rims? Would that be OK? Can I get an Eisenmann Quad tip race exhaust? Or is that too ricey? Hahahah the butthurt is astounding in this thread

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Keepittrill; 06-15-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: '13 640i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepittrill View Post
Sorry, gramps. Do I have your permission to buy black BMW performance rims? Would that be OK? Can I get an Eisenmann Quad tip race exhaust? Or is that too ricey? Hahahah the butthurt is astounding in this thread

Why would they be butthurt?

Regardless, I think black rims look stupid. They look like spare wheels or wheels where the hubcap fell off. There's a need for contrast. But it's not my car, so do what you want. It does, however, let me know that you don't have good taste.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:26 PM

More ghetto BMWs??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post
Why would they be butthurt?

Regardless, I think black rims look stupid. They look like spare wheels or wheels where the hubcap fell off. There's a need for contrast. But it's not my car, so do what you want. It does, however, let me know that you don't have good taste.
"You don't share my opinion, so you don't have good taste."

Genius. You must be a real fun guy to hang out with! You also clearly don't know what wheels without hubcaps look like, either. So all the Aventadors that are for sale here that have black rims STOCK look stupid? It's stupid that BMW sells black performance wheels that cost more than the silver? It's stupid that it's a 4K option on Porsches that a LOT of people pay for? You can believe what you want, but thinking that black wheels are tasteless is stupid.

Last edited by Keepittrill; 06-15-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: '13 640i
Quote:
"You don't share my opinion, so you don't have good taste."

Genius. You must be a real fun guy to hang out with! You also clearly don't know what wheels without hubcaps look like, either. So all the Aventadors that are for sale here that have black rims STOCK look stupid? It's stupid that BMW sells black performance wheels that cost more than the silver? It's stupid that it's a 4K option on Porsches that a LOT of people pay for? You can believe what you want, but thinking that black wheels are tasteless is stupid.

They sell them because people will pay for them. It's a new fad, just like chrome rims of the early 2000s.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:36 PM

More ghetto BMWs??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post
They sell them because people will pay for them. It's a new fad, just like chrome rims of the early 2000s.
Wait, whaaaaaaat? They're selling a product because people will pay for it? Genius business decision on their part. But you're right, a LOT of people pay for it because they like it. Does that mean they have no taste? Maybe in your eyes.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:40 PM
A BMW, 7 Series of course

Mein Auto: LS460
Quote:
Wait, whaaaaaaat? They're selling a product because people will pay for it? Genius business decision on their part. But you're right, a LOT of people pay for it because they like it. Does that mean they have no taste? Maybe in your eyes.

I am pretty sure he said that was just his opinion, not a fact. I don't see why you feel the need to jump all over him cause he disagrees with what you like. I agree with him for the most part, but then again I agree with you as they look good on some cars. I am pretty sure he is just thinking realistically as most people do not own Lambo's or see them used as DD.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:41 AM

Mein Auto: 540i se
I think this belongs in this thread

BMW 520i 1997

[trademe is our version of ebay here]