Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M Sport
Sport Mode and disable adaptive shifting by default

Is there a way to have the car always startup in Sport mode instead of Comfort? Is there also a way to stop the adaptive transmission from being adaptive?
I would've added the auto-stop engine to this question but the car has been very respectful of my choice to turn it off since I pressed the button a few days ago, no complaints about that
Ads by Google
Old 06-22-2014, 11:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i XDrive
The car will always start in Comfort. There is no way to change this, either at the dealer or by attempting to re-code the car yourself.

Beginning with 2014 models, "last user setting" is recalled for Auto Start/Stop from the Key Fob you're using.

Why in the world do you not want want the AT to not adapt to you? There is no way to turn this off, but I've come across stories that it can all be reset. Not sure how though.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Nothing wrong with your car starting in comfort mode. Don't really need to be driving in sport mode around the neighborhood. Once I get on the back country roads, I shift over the sport. Also, sport mode, depending on you have it configured, can really suck gas dry compared to comfort mode.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:23 AM

Mein Auto: 435 vert & X5
Starting in Comfort should be part of ECO regs if it is not already. Plus it is not exactly a hardship to switch to Sport.

Gary J
ED May 6, 2014 thread
435i Convertible Estoril Blue. Dakota Black/Blue M Sport
plus pretty much everything else but Parking Assistant
Old 06-23-2014, 05:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport Line
Starting in "comfort" in a car should be legally mandatory?

Retired: 2001 Z3 2.5i, Steel Grey Metallic/Black; 2002 330i, Orient Blue Metallic/Grey; 2004 545i, Silver Grey Metallic/Black.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:23 AM

Yes like winterized gas, tinting levels, seat belts, staying on your side of the road - all manner of things.

Gary J
ED May 6, 2014 thread
Old 06-23-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polite Canuck View Post
Why in the world do you not want want the AT to not adapt to you? There is no way to turn this off, but I've come across stories that it can all be reset. Not sure how though.
Wouldn't it be less responsive if most of the driving is less spirited during commutes?
Would be a shame if it becomes more conservative with its downshifts after sometime.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Starting in Comfort should be part of ECO regs if it is not already. Plus it is not exactly a hardship to switch to Sport.
It's just an annoyance. Could've been done the same way they do the auto start/stop. It's no hardship to push that button every time you start the car, but I bet it was annoying to do so every time
Old 06-23-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
Nothing wrong with your car starting in comfort mode. Don't really need to be driving in sport mode around the neighborhood. Once I get on the back country roads, I shift over the sport. Also, sport mode, depending on you have it configured, can really suck gas dry compared to comfort mode.
I just like the steering weight and throttle response I get from the Sport mode
Old 06-23-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenogears View Post
It's just an annoyance. Could've been done the same way they do the auto start/stop. It's no hardship to push that button every time you start the car, but I bet it was annoying to do so every time
So is the recycle bin when you can throw away all of your trash in one place. It's not going away though.

Gary J
ED May 6, 2014 thread
Old 06-23-2014, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i XDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenogears View Post
Wouldn't it be less responsive if most of the driving is less spirited during commutes?
Would be a shame if it becomes more conservative with its downshifts after sometime.
I don't know the answer to that, although my gut tells me the algorithm used is complex and accounts for multiple factors. It would be useful to know what BMW's objective was with the adaptive transmission.

If you think this Is an issue,why not just drive in M/S mode and shift when you want?
Old 06-24-2014, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
Starting in "comfort" in a car should be legally mandatory?

Probably for them to be able to claim the EPA gas mileage estimate. Would go down in Sport mode obv.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, Sport Auto Transmission, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package, Multi-Contour Seats, Heated Seats, Navigation, Harmon/Kardon stereo. Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position non-runflats, Painted reflectors, M5 grille.