Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:45 PM
fitzgma

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sedan
I was just notified today that my 2013 335i went into production today. Two questions? I specifically told my sales guy that I wanted it built in Germany vs. South Africa (based on comments I have seen on the internet). How will I KNOW for sure when I accept delivery it was in fact built in Germany? Also - I really don't like the start/stop system. I realize I can disable it when I get in EACH TIME, but is there a way to permanently disable it? OR, can I disable while I'm driving, if I forget when when I start it? And finally, my sales guy said something about it won't kick on if it's >certain degree outside, or the car is working too hard, or something. Can you provide details of when it will activiate? It's a scary feeling when i feel it stop at a red light and don't want that. Thanks!

Last edited by fitzgma; 06-28-2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 328i
I believe the VIN will indicate the place of manufacture. There is an active thread right now that can show you what to look for.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: E46 330i
www.bmwvin.com will tell you all sorts of details on the car

Found this in another forum:
Quote:
The first 3 digits of your VIN would normally tell you the manufacturers code:

WMA = BMW AG (Germany)
NCO = BMW South Africa
4US = BMW Spartanburg SC USA

....but I believe that after 1999MY, BMW no longer uses the codes - NCO or 4US.

....so if you want to know the plant of manufacture for your specific car you need to look at digit 11 of your VIN:

L = Spartanburg USA
A,F,G,K = Munich, Germany
B,C,D = Dingolfing, Germany
E,J = Regensburg, Germany
N = South Africa
A.S.S. Can be 'coded' to remember the last setting:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175

Per the manual:
The engine is not switched off automatically in
the following situations:
  • External temperature below approx. +37 F/ +3 C
  • The external temperature is high and automatic climate control is running.
  • The passenger compartment has not yet been heated or cooled to the required level.
  • The engine is not yet at operating temperature.
  • The wheels are at a sharp angle or the steering wheel is being turned.
  • After driving in reverse.
  • Fogging of the windows when the automatic climate control is switched on.
  • The vehicle battery charge is very low.
  • The engine compartment lid is unlocked.
  • The parking assistant is activated.
  • Stop-and-go traffic.
  • The transmission selector lever is in position N or S/M.

'02 E46 330i 5MT (ED Sept '02) - SOLD
'12 F30 335i Sport 6MT (ED May '12)
Old 06-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzgma View Post
I really don't like the start/stop system. I realize I can disable it when I get in EACH TIME, but is there a way to permanently disable it? OR, can I disable while I'm driving, if I forget when when I start it? And finally, my sales guy said something about it won't kick on if it's >certain degree outside, or the car is working too hard, or something. Can you provide details of when it will activiate? It's a scary feeling when i feel it stop at a red light and don't want that. Thanks!
As mentioned you can code the stop/start to remember you settings. There are a multitude of factors that effect how stop/start work. Read my complete article written from reviewing the BMW technical documents (must more detailed then the owners manual) here -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=606503

Tim
Old 06-29-2012, 12:43 PM
fitzgma

Thanks Tim, this information is really helpful. This is my first Bimmer and first time to own a car with stop/start. Is there any information on the wear on the engine with this going on/off over long term? I'm purchasing a 2013, so assume any fixes will be covered in the first 4 years, but beyond that wonder if it will create issues since I do a lot of in-town driving?
Old 06-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Administrator

No one knows what the long term wear and tear issues, if any are going to be. I have a feeling BMW tested this system to its limit but in the real world stuff does go wrong.

Tim
Old 07-07-2012, 05:17 PM
fitzgma

Tracking my car on BMWUSA, looks like it just finished production. I thought by now the VIN number would be avail on the site. When will I have access to the VIN? I ask because I was VERY clear to my salesperson that I would not purchase the car, if it were built in the SA plant. I don't want to have to wait until I show up at the dealers to sign the papers to find out confirmation of the origination. thanks!
Old 07-07-2012, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Melbourne Red 335i
South African Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzgma View Post
Tracking my car on BMWUSA, looks like it just finished production. I thought by now the VIN number would be avail on the site. When will I have access to the VIN? I ask because I was VERY clear to my salesperson that I would not purchase the car, if it were built in the SA plant. I don't want to have to wait until I show up at the dealers to sign the papers to find out confirmation of the origination. thanks!
Have you asked your CA ? He should be able to tell you from his VIR , and his dealer allocation will say wether it is SA or Germany. Good luck
June 9,2012 New Order. 2013 335i Sedan, Melbourne Red Metallic Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum, Leather Dakota Black/Red Highlight, 19" Wheels, Premium Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Technology Package, Sport Transmission with Paddles, Htd Front Seats & Harmon Kardon Performance Center Delivery October 9, 2012. BMWCCA Member since April 2006.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
Is there a difference in the ground clearance under the front bumper of an M-Sport compared to a Sport Line car?

Using two different tabs on my browser, I did a Build Your Own configuration for a 335i X-Drive, one for Sport Line and one for M-Sport. I chose the same exterior color, and 18" wheels for each although on M-Sport I had to use the staggered 18" option for the image to show. I then "flickered" back and forth between the two configurations. It appeared to me that the front of the M-Sport is lower to the ground than the front of the Sport Line.

Thanks
Bruce
Old 07-16-2012, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
Is there a difference in the ground clearance under the front bumper of an M-Sport compared to a Sport Line car?

Using two different tabs on my browser, I did a Build Your Own configuration for a 335i X-Drive, one for Sport Line and one for M-Sport. I chose the same exterior color, and 18" wheels for each although on M-Sport I had to use the staggered 18" option for the image to show. I then "flickered" back and forth between the two configurations. It appeared to me that the front of the M-Sport is lower to the ground than the front of the Sport Line.

Thanks
Bruce
From everything I can find about the Sport Line and M Sport suspensions, they are the same 10mm (~ 1/2") drop. To either of those packages, you can also add the "Adaptive M Suspension" which does not increase the drop more than 10mm, but adds variable electronic damping so you can have a softer or more firm ride depending on mood.

Interestingly, the X-Drive models never had the option of the sport suspension before. The F30 is the first to do this.

Also, it seems you have the option of adding the "Adaptive M Suspension" to the Luxury, Modern or Base models as well, which effectively gives those cars the sports suspension.

*Correct me if I'm wrong.

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 07-16-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBS3SSION View Post
From everything I can find about the Sport Line and M Sport suspensions, they are the same 10mm (~ 1/2") drop. To either of those packages, you can also add the "Adaptive M Suspension" which does not increase the drop more than 10mm, but adds variable electronic damping so you can have a softer or more firm ride depending on mood.

Interestingly, the X-Drive models never had the option of the sport suspension before. The F30 is the first to do this.

Also, it seems you have the option of adding the "Adaptive M Suspension" to the Luxury, Modern or Base models as well, which effectively gives those cars the sports suspension.

*Correct me if I'm wrong.
I think your information is correct, but I was actually trying to address something else.

Assuming both an M-Sport and a Sport Line have the same suspension and same options, for example both are 335i X-Drives and have M Adaptive Suspension and 18" wheels, is there any difference in how low the front bumper assemblies go. Would an M-Sport be more vulnerable to getting the front bumper assembly caught on a curb, everything else being equal.

Thanks
Bruce
Old 07-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
I think your information is correct, but I was actually trying to address something else.

Assuming both an M-Sport and a Sport Line have the same suspension and same options, for example both are 335i X-Drives and have M Adaptive Suspension and 18" wheels, is there any difference in how low the front bumper assemblies go. Would an M-Sport be more vulnerable to getting the front bumper assembly caught on a curb, everything else being equal.

Thanks
Bruce
No m-sport cars have arrived so it's impossible to know, but from the photos on the BMW 'build your own' configuration website it would appear by clicking back and forth between the m-sport and non m-sport models that the various body parts of the m-sport car (side body skirts, front bumper cover, etc) are lower.

I know that in the case of my "ultrasport" A4 which has the same body kit as the RS4 it is quite a bit lower, about a full 1" or so compared to regular "sport" line cars.

This did, on one occasion result in me hooking the bottom of the bumper cover up on a parking block and tearing it off. Not my greatest moment. I pay much better attention to those bastards now!

Last edited by voip-ninja; 07-16-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: Volvo V70 R& T5, 911 CS4
I agree with Voip-Ninja as the question is the M sport body kit lower in the front. That, none of know at this time until one come in country. As far as the suspension goes I understood the reason the x drive deletes the sport suspension option(704) was to maintain higher clearance in the snow or maybe other places where you would need the x drive. As if 10 mm(roughly 3/8") would make that much of a difference in the snow but it could on rough rocky roads. In the MY12 i model you could have both the sport suspension and the adaptive suspension. This seemed duplicative but seemed to be an option last year. This year if you order the M Sport(ZMM) or Sport Line(ZSL) and the Dynamic Handling Package (ZDH), i.e. the Adaptive M Suspension, the sport suspension(704) is deleted. On the x line the sport suspension is not an option even without the Adaptive suspension.

If the height reason stated above is the reason for not allowing the sport suspension on the x drive I would suspect the bumper to not be lowered on either the M Sport or Sport Lines but of course that is highly speculative. If a lower bumper on the M Sport is the reason to select the Sport Line why spend the extra $1300. But, of course, I have to admit I also tried to look at all the same type of things I could before making the decision to get the M Sport. If its lower I will have to be more careful. It a lesson I have had to learn the hard way on two other cars. Hopefully the park distance will help me some here.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmpatterson View Post
..... In the MY12 i model you could have both the sport suspension and the adaptive suspension......
I got the impression you could choose M Adaptive in lieu of the fixed Sport Suspension, but not concurrent with it. I have read speculation that the M Adaptive Suspension is the same as the Sport Suspension with the exception of adding the adjustable dampers, so maybe in that sense you can have both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmpatterson View Post
..... If a lower bumper on the M Sport is the reason to select the Sport Line why spend the extra $1300. But, of course, I have to admit I also tried to look at all the same type of things I could before making the decision to get the M Sport. If its lower I will have to be more careful. It a lesson I have had to learn the hard way on two other cars. Hopefully the park distance will help me some here.
My question was in reference to me deciding between M-Sport or Sport Line. I had already decided to get the M Adaptive Suspension independent of whether the model I choose offers the fixed Sport Suspension. Yes, one of my concerns is not paying enough attention and scraping the front bumper, or worse, on a curb.

Thanks
Bruce
Old 07-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Honestly if that's your concern then just steer clear of the m-sport package as it will almost certainly have lower body parts. The lower body parts will cause you several headaches, including for example, damaging the delicate lower body parts when using floor jacks etc.

If you really want the m-sport but are worried about this you will have to wait till the first cars show up in the next few weeks and ask an owner to measure the ground clearance of the front and rear bumper covers and front fascias, etc.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:44 AM

[QUOTE=BruceOmega;6956235]I got the impression you could choose M Adaptive in lieu of the fixed Sport Suspension, but not concurrent with it. I have read speculation that the M Adaptive Suspension is the same as the Sport Suspension with the exception of adding the adjustable dampers, so maybe in that sense you can have both.

I remember seeing both in the MY12 buying guide but do not remember seeing anything in the exception or deleting section. But you may be right, it was something I meant to ask about about but when the 2013 buyer/pricing guides came out there was a specific deletion note. I specifically was waiting for the xdrive.

I went thru much of the same process you are before finally ordering the M Sport. The $1300 extra was balanced by the staggered summer tires (I switch to snow/ice tires in the winter), the different body style, and the thicker steering wheel (my wife has RA). It was a hard decision as I was trying to keep the cost down and although I like the body style better it doesn't offer any better performance.

Let us know which way to decide and good luck. Waiting for a ship and PCD. Hopefully in another month.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550I xDrive M Sport
On the website configuration you cannot get the cold weather package with the M package...Is this correct?
Old 07-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010drive View Post
On the website configuration you cannot get the cold weather package with the M package...Is this correct?
Correct, the M sport wheel doesn't come heated, therefore no cold weather package.

Tim
Old 07-24-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Correct, the M sport wheel doesn't come heated, therefore no cold weather package.

Tim
I can build the 328 with it just not the 335
Old 07-24-2012, 04:30 PM

Okay, now it's letting me build both with it! Is there website messed up?

I would be pretty disappointed if you can't even get heated seats in a 60K car
Old 07-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Hmm, that was my impression. BMW USA is wrong a lot but I could be wrong.

Tim
Old 07-25-2012, 09:20 AM

Heated front seats are a standalone option 494 in the Options section of the build and pricing guides for 2013 for the 328 and 335's. I recommend you download those from this site and use those as your guide. I have found several errors or omissions in the built-it-yourself bmw site. I gave up on it and went to the buyer/pricing guides and those seem to be correct.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335xiM / '13 X3 35iM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post

Tim
That's odd, because my M Sport order included the ZCW package with the heated M Sport steering wheel (248). I pick it up in a few days so we'll see if they were lying.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRBD View Post
That's odd, because my M Sport order included the ZCW package with the heated M Sport steering wheel (248). I pick it up in a few days so we'll see if they were lying.
I think I was incorrect in stating that. At the auto show they didn't have any M sports with heated wheels so I made an assumption.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi, 2012 raptor
I also have the M sport package with the cold weather package coming in about 3 weeks, build is complete!