Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '09 335i msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckboss81 View Post
I test drove the new 328 sedan automatic yesterday and am happy to offer my humble opinion. Let me preface my comments below with some history on my ownership experiences.

I've owned numerous BMW's and have been thoroughly impressed by each one (E36 318is, E36 318ic, E36 328 sedan, E39 540i, E46 323ci, E86 Z4 Coupe 3.0si, and E92 328xi Coupe. I've always ordered cars equipped with manual trans, but I always test drive an automatic with each new model as it seems they always arrive at the showroom first. I test drove the previous generation E90 sedan in automatic form when it first arrived back in 2005 and was more impressed with that car than any automatic I had ever driven. I currently drive a 2009 328xi manual coupe with sport pkg and love the performance of that car. Strangely, my favorite car was the 1994 318is (E36). It lacked HP and was slow off the line, but it was very light and responsive with good gas mileage...an absolute blast to drive! I've been driving inline 6 cars since selling that car in 1996 and have grown to love that engine.

As I went into my test drive, I was wide open to driving a 4 cylinder. I realized that BMW needed to step up their efforts towards fuel consumption, and understood that a 4 cylinder engine was a necessary option. I was actually hoping I could regain the feel of driving that 318is. For me, the feel of the engine was going to be as important or more important than the horsepower.

As I arrived on the lot, the sales person handed me the keys to a white 328 "Modern." I spent some time with him learning the new technology and then left for what I hoped would be an exhilarating test drive, much like every other experience of driving the new model. I was immediately impressed with improvements in the gadgetry, safety features, appeal of the interior, and the exterior (big improvement). I know I'm spoiled by the silky smooth inline 6 that my cars have been equipped with since the early 90's, but I remember how much I loved that 137 HP 318is car, and was wide open to moving back in that direction. Unfortunately, he turbo 4 engine seemed to have significantly more vibration at lower speeds and I experienced a noticeable amount of turbo lag. As I got onto the open road and started opening up the engine, I was less than impressed with the performance and feel of the turbo 4.

To be honest, I cut the test drive short, because I have never been so turned off by a BMW. I fear the company may have erred by offering neither a normally aspirated version, nor the N52 3.0L naturally aspirated I6 as on option on the new model. I asked the dealer to contact me once they have a manual transmission example on the lot and I will give this another shot, but I wouldn't go anywhere near the turbo 4. I'm seriously considering spending the extra $$ on gas and placing an order for the previous generation of 5-Series sedan while I still can.

I would be interested to know what others think of the performance of the new turbo 4 engine. It's clearly not my cup of tea, but maybe others can shed some light on their positive impressions.
Very interesting read. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Let me buya F31 335xi BMW

Mein Auto: 09 JCW, C43/55, 560SL, TJ
Quote:
...Unfortunately, he turbo 4 engine seemed to have significantly more vibration at lower speeds and I experienced a noticeable amount of turbo lag. As I got onto the open road and started opening up the engine, I was less than impressed with the performance and feel of the turbo 4.
To be honest, I cut the test drive short,
I would be interested to know what others think of the performance of the new turbo 4 engine. It's clearly not my cup of tea, but maybe others can shed some light on their positive impressions.
Curious whether you were in EcoPro or one of the other modes?

I'm surprised to read your last sentence tho. Many threads in this forum section to choose from to read others' impressions. I've read many instances of what others think here and in many other places on the web and none were this unhappy. I'm 'hoping' EcoPro is behind your unhappiness. Please let us know.

Last edited by m8o; 02-20-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by m8o View Post
Curious whether you were in EcoPro or one of the other modes?

I'm surprised to read your last sentence tho. Many threads in this forum section to choose from to read others' impressions. I've read many instances of what others think here and in many other places on the web and none were this unhappy. I'm 'hoping' EcoPro is behind your unhappiness. Please let us know.

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the EcoPro. What is it?

I may have worded once sentence of my review poorly. I said, "As I got onto the open road and started opening up the engine, I was less than impressed with the performance and feel of the turbo 4."

I was referring to my experience of leaving the BMW parking lot and entering into city driving... stop and go traffic... where IMHO the performance was less than satisfying and the engine vibration reminded me of the Chevy Cruze I had rented on a recent business trip. I was not referring to freeway speeds where the performance was more than stellar.

Last edited by buckboss81; 02-20-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Quote:
Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the EcoPro. What is it?

I may have worded once sentence of my review poorly. I said, "As I got onto the open road and started opening up the engine, I was less than impressed with the performance and feel of the turbo 4."

I was referring to my experience of leaving the BMW parking lot and entering into city driving... stop and go traffic... where IMHO the performance was less than satisfying and the engine vibration reminded me of the Chevy Cruze I had rented on a recent business trip. I was not referring to freeway speeds where the performance was more than stellar.

I checked and now understand what ECO PRO mode is. I never changed the setting, so unless the car was in this mode as a default, it wouldn't have been set to ECO PRO.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
I checked and now understand what ECO PRO mode is. I never changed the setting, so unless the car was in this mode as a default, it wouldn't have been set to ECO PRO.
The default is comfort mode, which has a different throttle and steering response than sport/sport+ modes. Selecting either of these modes may improve your driving experience.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
Sounds like you need to go back when it has a 6-speed manual, as you may have been in a mode that emphasized soft starts and minimal throttle input.

The disadvantage of technology - if you aren't ready for it you'll not know what it's doing for you that you may not like.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:11 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
I drove a 4cyl 2012 Modern Line F30 this afternoon.

It was more responsive, smoother, and more powerful feeling than our current 6 cyl 2009 328i which it is destined to replace.

Mated to the new 8spd AT the car feels more like a high performance BMW.

The new 8 spd transmission is really an improvement having experienced it now for a year and half in my 535i.

If you liked the 6 cyl E92 you will like the 4 cyl 2012 328i more!

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 02-20-2012, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: '09 335i msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd33 View Post

Quote:
The default is comfort mode, which has a different throttle and steering response than sport/sport+ modes. Selecting either of these modes may improve your driving experience.

Yeah, that could've made a big difference on your test drive impressions buckboss. Even the 335 might have felt sluggish in the default comfort mode..

Last edited by 7or8; 02-20-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:19 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Cutting and pasting my post from other threads. The only thing I can add would be to go with only a manual with the N20 since it's awful with the AT. Being a previous WRX owner it's essential on 2.0T engines.

I'm keeping my ZHP!

Summary:
Test drove the F30 328i Sport with the 8-spd auto today which included all the packages (Tech, Premium, NAV, Xenons, paddles, etc.. Fully Loaded except for the M-adaptive suspension). I immediately was reminded why I didn't like the E90/E88, the driving experience was greatly removed from the driver; definitely less connected than my ZHP (even in stock form) w/o the pinpoint and precise refinement. The sum of the ZHP really shines through compared to the current Sport or M tech packages. Highly looking forward to the M-Sport package coming this summer; hopefully it negates all the Cons I experienced with the F30 328i Sport. The F30 328i Sport compared to an E90 328i is a great improvement, however, compared to an E46 ZHP it's a downgrade.

Pros:
-N20 engine is awesome= very responsive with lots of power through out all the rev ranges and has a usable power band. Turbo lag is non-existent.
-Cabin noise= pretty good, not loud at all; quieter than my ZHP through all rev ranges.
-Weight= compared to an E90 328i- F30 is lighter. Accelerates better and more tossable.
-Cabin space= More rear cabin space compared to the E46 or E90.
-Brakes= very good stopping power for the car's weight, not as fast compared to the stock ZHPs. Same BMW bite with great modulation when applying late, slow, on/off, hard brake stops. Predictable and firm without having to guess on when the distance will be; can be gauged very well w/o engaging the ABS.
-Power= Limitless powerband all the way up to redline, could only feel a turbo drop off towards the last 200-500 rpm of the rev. range. Gobs of power for any driving scenario needed- off the line, transitions, passing, top end speed, cruising, etc...
-Technology= HUD, Nav (Voice activated, makes the iDrive difficulty go away), collision warnings, cameras all around make a safer driving environment.
-Paddle and AT shifters= Fast and less travel than the ZHP's Steptronic AT shifter.

Cons:
-8 spd AT transition downshifts are awful= not smooth at all even with the rev match (falls short by about 200-400 rpm between non-turbo spooled and turbo spooled rev ranges). I verified by blipping the throttle before downshifts which were smoother. Add the fact that the out of turbo spool -> turbo spool and vice versa transitions upset the balance of the car more. If you are in a turbo spooled -> turbo spooled or non-turbo spooled -> non-turbo spooled range it's smoother. I messed with all the driving modes- sport+, sport, comfort, eco pro, and the comfort mode seems to have the smoothest transitions during downshift with a middle of the pack response.

-Sport suspension is ok= Been spoiled with my Koni yellows + Hotchkis sways but I didn't remember the stock Sachs ZHP suspension rolling, yawing or moving around so much. It was just all over the place, too much driver compensation needed for my tastes. Very difficult to drive the car precisely to inches of start stop points and transitions. Suspension didn't settle fast enough when needed requiring longer driver corrections with the steering, brake or throttle. Ride height felt tall with the stock Sport suspension + the taller profile RFT.

-Tires= Run Flat POS Goodyear 225/45/18 fronts and 255/45/18 rears. Road feel felt very tall and the grip was not very good; very much an AS tire equivalent. Definitely missed my Michelin PS2s.

-Sport seats= Side bolsters were digging into my sides and were stiff. Guess I need to go on a diet or the seats needed break in. My ZHP sport seats never had this problem.

Thanks to BMW of Fremont for letting me test drive their F30 328i Sport; great service and very much down to earth attitudes.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: 323ic
BuckBoss81

"my favorite car was the 1994 318is (E36). It lacked HP and was slow off the line, but it was very light and responsive with good gas mileage...an absolute blast to drive!"

I could have written that....and totally agree. I have new car fever but 40k or more for a car less fun than an e36 is hard. I know they ride better and have more comfort and the f30 technology is worth robbing a bank.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
http://www.bimmerfest.com//gallery/B...ew-Car-247.jpg

In this picture, what is the button on the left just below the circular switch?

2014 328i / Liquid Blue / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 6 MT / Moonroof / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-16-2013
2003 325i / Gray Green / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 5 MT / Moonroof / 219K+ Miles / Bought 12-21-2002 / Sold 10-21-2013
1998 Civic EX / Vogue Silver / Gray / 4 DR / 5 MT / 122K+ Miles / Bought 12-30-1997 / Totaled 08-2002
1988 Sentra / Gray / Gray / 2 DR / 4 MT / 190K+ Miles / Bought 06-1994 @ 120K+ Miles / Died 12-1997
Old 02-20-2012, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
http://www.bimmerfest.com//gallery/B...ew-Car-247.jpg

In this picture, what is the button on the left just below the circular switch?
When you push that button, your mirrors fold in. And when you put your BMW in reverse, the mirrors point down so you can see better.

Last edited by Carlos Thomas; 02-20-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: '12 F30 328i 6MT
Tim - can you provide your thoughts regarding the quality of the manual transmission in the F30 328i? Most importantly for me is the clutch action. I had an Infiniti G37 that I only kept for a year simply because the clutch pedal had such a narrow, vague engagement point that it made daily driving more of a chore than it was worth. I want to make sure that before checking the ZMT box, that I'm not going to be disappointed.

I figured I would ask given it seems BMW's focus on this generation has been the 8AT. Combine that with the fact that it's going to be difficult, if not impossible to find a demo 328i with a manual transmission within a couple hours' drive, makes the purchasing decision quite difficult. Plus, the 8AT is very good itself with many pros and very few cons, so again, difficult to decide.

If it helps, I test drove a used 335i with 6MT recently and it was fantastic. Light, smooth clutch with an intuitive friction point. Shifter was very smooth and precise if not a bit on the long side, throws wise. If the 328i's 6MT is anything like that, I would be happy.

Thanks

Last edited by unintelligible; 02-20-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas View Post
When you push that button, your mirrors fold in. And when you put your BMW in reverse, the mirrors point down so you can see better.
Is that standard or is it part of the premium package?

2014 328i / Liquid Blue / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 6 MT / Moonroof / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-16-2013
2003 325i / Gray Green / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 5 MT / Moonroof / 219K+ Miles / Bought 12-21-2002 / Sold 10-21-2013
1998 Civic EX / Vogue Silver / Gray / 4 DR / 5 MT / 122K+ Miles / Bought 12-30-1997 / Totaled 08-2002
1988 Sentra / Gray / Gray / 2 DR / 4 MT / 190K+ Miles / Bought 06-1994 @ 120K+ Miles / Died 12-1997
Old 02-20-2012, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: '12 F30 328i 6MT
Quote:
Is that standard or is it part of the premium package?
Premium.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
-Weight= compared to an E90 328i- F30 is lighter. Accelerates better and more tossable.
Not true.

Quote:
-Sport seats= Side bolsters were digging into my sides and were stiff. Guess I need to go on a diet or the seats needed break in. My ZHP sport seats never had this problem.
There's been some discussion here about the side bolsters being adjustable. Did you try to adjust them? (I don't know for sure if they are or not.)

Old 02-20-2012, 06:45 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Quote:
Not true.
I'm wrong on this one, the E90 328i is lighter. However, I wasn't wrong on the accelaration and IMHO tossability, definitely from the higher HP and Torque displacement on the N20 compared to the N52.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...940&highlight=

Quote:
been some discussion here about the side bolsters being adjustable. Did you try to adjust them? (I don't know for sure if they are or not.)
Sorry didn't know there was a side bolster adjustment. I just messed with the seating height and recline from the side controls as it was similar to my E46 ZHP.

Last edited by av98; 02-20-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
I'm wrong on this one, the E90 328i is lighter. However, I wasn't wrong on the accelaration and IMHO tossability, definitely from the higher HP and Torque displacement on the N20 compared to the N52.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...940&highlight=

Sorry didn't know there was a side bolster adjustment. I just messed with the seating height and recline from the side controls as it was similar to my E46 ZHP.
Yeah starting with the e90s the side bolsters on sport seats can cinch ya up. Agree with your review. I had a 2003 ZHP. Still more fun than my last two BMWs. Wife keeps telling me to find a used one and just get it totally fixed up from the ground up as I never took to my e90s.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:54 PM

Mein Auto: 3er
Hey guys I was wondering how the sound system is in the test car. I assume it has the HK system but if not I am still interested in your take. At the end of E90 production I remember the standard system was downgraded (lost speakers by the front windows) and people had concerns.

Has anybody tried the standard sound system?

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson328xi View Post
Hey guys I was wondering how the sound system is in the test car. I assume it has the HK system but if not I am still interested in your take. At the end of E90 production I remember the standard system was downgraded (lost speakers by the front windows) and people had concerns.

Has anybody tried the standard sound system?

Thanks.
Actually the opposite, my 2010 328 base, had the worst sound system ever, my 2011 base was light years better than the 2010, my F30 HK sounds great, still have to tweak a few setting but im happy with it. Tho i will say that 2011 base was pretty damn good for a base.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson328xi View Post
Great feedback, thanks for the update guys!

This might sound cynical, but I was interested to see that 0 of 6 favorites involved; the engine, steering feel, or suspension... Maybe Mark's #2 but that sounds more like "your wife can use it to go to the store!".

Do you guys feel like these things are selling points for the car, and best in the class, or are they "things you get over"?

Looking forward to your impressions.
+1.

It's good as computer hardware review, like a newlaptop.

Not a car review.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Thanks for the feedback on wanting more driving review. With over 900 miles on the car now we're getting close to being able to wind up the N20 to 7K and get all the power it makes down while driving. We will have a full driving dynamic review up once we've had a chance to 'get on it' complete. This is just an initial once over, to me the driving was spot on and I didn't want to go on and on about it without being able to push the engine. I'll have an in depth on all the little detail but to gush about the general feel of the car would be like gushing about how it has a roundel on the hood. It's just supposed to feel the way it does, and it's just supposed to have a roundel on the hood

Hope that makes sense.

Tim
Old 02-28-2012, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
Good God, this new 3 series are Hideous LOL.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325xi
With no snow to speak of in NJ, I wonder how the car will drive when it does. BMW's do not do well as a rear drive in the snow. If and when we see snow this year, it would be great to hear how the handling is.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E92 335i Coupe
I have used my E92 335i in the snow many times with proper snow tires. The car handles admirably in my opinion and I would expect about the same from the new generation as well.