Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-20-2012, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i X-drive
Texts, e-mails & google search

I've had my car for a week now. When I took delivery, the delivery coordinator told me that I have to wait for an upcoming software update before I can receive e-mails and texts from my i-Phone 4. Is this true and when is this update coming? He also said I can download the update from my car without going back to the dealer. Also, the other day, I was trying to find a restaurant by google search and I was told I was not subscribed. How do you subscribe and is it worth it? Thanks.

Current: 2012 535i x-Drive, Alpine White/ Black, Auto, M-Sport, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, Satellite Radio.
Retired: 2006 530xi, Black Sapphire/ Auburn, Steptronic, Premium Package, Premium Sound, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Access, Navigation, PDC, Shades, 18" wheels
Ads by Google
Old 02-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i M Sport
The delivery guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Messaging (emails and SMS) are dependent on the phone not the car. The iPhone does not have this capability. Only certain Blackberries and Android and windows phones have this capability (MAP- message access profile). So until Apple enables this on the iPhones you won't get texts or emails. As far as google search you have to subscribe to assist services for $199 a year.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i X-drive
Ok. Thanks!

Current: 2012 535i x-Drive, Alpine White/ Black, Auto, M-Sport, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, Satellite Radio.
Retired: 2006 530xi, Black Sapphire/ Auburn, Steptronic, Premium Package, Premium Sound, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Access, Navigation, PDC, Shades, 18" wheels
Old 02-21-2012, 04:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550ix M-Sport/Din S2
Note that BMW will offer you one, two or three year packages. Each is based on $199/year, so there is no discount for purchasing multiple years. The total will be charged against your credit car, but you can cancel and get a pro-rated refund at any time.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:55 AM
Steel is where it's at!!!

Mein Auto: '12 550i x & '12 X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger74 View Post
The delivery guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Messaging (emails and SMS) are dependent on the phone not the car. The iPhone does not have this capability. Only certain Blackberries and Android and windows phones have this capability (MAP- message access profile). So until Apple enables this on the iPhones you won't get texts or emails. As far as google search you have to subscribe to assist services for $199 a year.
So which Android phones will work?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i M Sport
Whichever one has MAP. I had a Galaxy S2 briefly and only worked on a limited basis
Old 02-21-2012, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528 ix - Dark Graphi
it has to do with your BMW assist/connected account. call BMW assist and have them verify your user name and password, if possible do a refresh of your account and then you should be all set. had the same problem for a week before they got it to work.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528 ix - Dark Graphi
BMW assist is free for 4 years and allows access to the new BMW apps as well as the ability to receive directions directly from Googlle maps. $199 subscription is only required for live assistance. all new bimmers have access to the assist program for 4 years at no charge.