Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:20 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post
Highyo glad to see you coming onboard here as well Nice color choices you have made. Although I'm slightly biased as AW/Fox Red extended ain't half bad (excuse the pun) and the hazy interior shot
Nice M3!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
there are no bad choices.

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 02-28-2012, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335iA
Congrats, IB is a great choice.

But: Have you really looked at platinum leather?

Don't get me wrong, but I think that bamboo lacks some contrast if you go with a dark blue like interlagos.

IMHO, those blues deserve some contrast.

BTW: BMW pwns blue!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyergru View Post
Congrats, IB is a great choice.

But: Have you really looked at platinum leather?

Don't get me wrong, but I think that bamboo lacks some contrast if you go with a dark blue like interlagos.

IMHO, those blues deserve some contrast.

BTW: BMW pwns blue!
platinum? is that a color that was removed? are you thinking of silver? maybe they stopped putting them in on non-indivd cars.

i'm week 13 build. anyone else?

also, how can i assure i get Michelin pilots as opposed to the contis or pirellis? just tell my CA?

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual

Last edited by highyo; 02-28-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:42 AM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
What happened while I was away for a few months? highyo is joining the M3 club? The hell officially froze over? j/k

I have the bamboo interior and it's positively a stunner.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 02-29-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
What happened while I was away for a few months? highyo is joining the M3 club? The hell officially froze over? j/k

I have the bamboo interior and it's positively a stunner.
haha! i never ever ever said i didn't love M3s, and my trip to the PCD superbowl weekend along with a "need" for a second car sealed it!

plus i can't believe that you or solstice are all crazy.

thanks re: bamboo. i think with IB will look great, but i havent seen it in person, just on some great pics on the web.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
....also, how can i assure i get Michelin pilots as opposed to the contis or pirellis? just tell my CA?
Good luck getting the Michelins - if you should end up with the Contis - it's not all bad - Evo
commented;

"However, the M3 Competition simply isnít as playful and adjustable as the M3 Edition we drove last summer. In short itís got too much grip, and the blame for that can be laid at the door of the Michelin Pilot Sport tyres. The Conti CSC3ís that are the other OE fitment (you donít get to choose which your car comes on) have lower limits, but a more manageable grip/slip balance that suits the M3 to a tee."

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/05/02/ev...ition-package/

My car has the Contis - I like them, but in all fairness I have never driven a M3 ZCP with Michelins so I do not have a reference. Most of my spirited driving is on mountain roads in Western MD and WVA where ultimate adhesion is less important than manageability and feel.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:35 PM

thanks capo eh. i am worrying way too much about the BS. the truth is, whatever tires i have, they will likely be swapped out in 12,000 miles anyway. and i bet whatever is on there i would like. i do plan on taking her to the track every once in awhile though.

is it may yet?

Old 03-02-2012, 01:23 AM
Fight On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
Good luck getting the Michelins - if you should end up with the Contis - it's not all bad - Evo
commented;

"However, the M3 Competition simply isnít as playful and adjustable as the M3 Edition we drove last summer. In short itís got too much grip, and the blame for that can be laid at the door of the Michelin Pilot Sport tyres. The Conti CSC3ís that are the other OE fitment (you donít get to choose which your car comes on) have lower limits, but a more manageable grip/slip balance that suits the M3 to a tee."

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/05/02/ev...ition-package/

My car has the Contis - I like them, but in all fairness I have never driven a M3 ZCP with Michelins so I do not have a reference. Most of my spirited driving is on mountain roads in Western MD and WVA where ultimate adhesion is less important than manageability and feel.
For what it's worth, I do like the PS2 that came with my car. The amount of grip it provides on such a heavy car is amazing. However, it doesn't wear well at all. My rears after moderately driven 9k miles look horrendously worn out.

I am thinking about getting the new Michelin PSS (Pilot Super Sport), which is getting very good reviews. Tirerack is out of stock on the rears. If they aren't available soon, I'll probably try the Conti's.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 03-02-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
For what it's worth, I do like the PS2 that came with my car. The amount of grip it provides on such a heavy car is amazing. However, it doesn't wear well at all. My rears after moderately driven 9k miles look horrendously worn out.

I am thinking about getting the new Michelin PSS (Pilot Super Sport), which is getting very good reviews. Tirerack is out of stock on the rears. If they aren't available soon, I'll probably try the Conti's.
i think Solstice just made the switch. i'm just going to go with it, whatever comes on the car comes on it. at the PCD (i know im beating a dead horse) all of the M3s were shod with the contis. if it's good enough for them...

Old 03-02-2012, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
i think Solstice just made the switch. i'm just going to go with it, whatever comes on the car comes on it. at the PCD (i know im beating a dead horse) all of the M3s were shod with the contis. if it's good enough for them...
I guess l got lucky then, as my car came with PS2's
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)

Last edited by car-fan; 03-08-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
The Contis are very good tires and lasted 14k until they were done on my car. However the PSSs offers superior stability, at least on my E90 setup with the optional 19s. It's a significant difference and it is felt in added steering effort and return to center force as well. It must be due to the added grip. I haven't had the opportunity to push the car in the dry after putting on the PSSs but the car feels different than it ever did with the Contis. I loved the car with the Contis but love it even more with the PSSs. However don't be upset if you endup with the Contis I surely enjoyed the car with them on. For me it's a difference between great and greater not bad and good.

Last edited by solstice; 03-03-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Fight On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
The Contis are very good tires and lasted 14k until they were done on my car. However the PSSs offers superior stability, at least on my E90 setup with the optional 19s. It's a significant difference and it is felt in added steering effort and return to center force as well. It must be due to the added grip. I haven't had the opportunity to push the car in the dry after putting on the PSSs but the car feels different than it ever did with the Contis. I loved the car with the Contis but love it even more with the PSSs. However don't be upset if you endup with the Contis I surely enjoyed the car with them on. For me it's a difference between great and greater not bad and good.
Which Conti's? Were they the ExtremeContact DW?

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 03-07-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Which Conti's? Were they the ExtremeContact DW?
No, it was the OEM fitted Contisport Contact 3s.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
My previous E46 had the PS2's and the current E93 has the Contis. I was initially excited when the E46 tire roulette showed up with the PS2's and this time it was a different draw. To be truthful, it is hard to judge the difference as the cars are so different, but the Contis are fine and am happy with the purported longer life anyway.

Either way, the cars magic is not suppressed by either tire and my "disappointment" when picking up the car and not seeing PS2's was quickly extinguished as soon as I puled out of the dealers lot.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:37 AM

yes im not really concerned about the tires, there are (i believe) 3 options: the contis, ps2s, and pzeros. any will be fine as they will only last 1 year tops. my greater issue now is the color, which i have swapped out (yes for a 3rd time) back to the original jerez. i saw an IB m6 and M3 this weekend and they were too flashy for me. now waiting to hear back from my CA confirming the swap.

i seriously can't believe i have to wait this long it's killing me

Old 03-07-2012, 12:01 PM

+1 on Jerez. Lock it and move on

I know you do not like the FR interior, but on a vert it makes the car along with the extended leather. Not so sure I would do the same on a coupe, but the FR is not flashy in the flesh and adds a richness to the interior. I have yet to find a picture which properly captures the Fox Red i it is no where as flashy as the Imola Red in my E46. The JB is almost impossible to capture as it is a chameleon, changing hues virtually by the hour.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:48 PM

I got JB and it's a stunning color. However it's easily the most sensitive color I owned to microscratches and clouding. Make sure to tell your dealer not to detail the car's exterior on delivery. Mine looked awful and it took me a couple of months to restore it by hand.

Last edited by solstice; 03-07-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
+1 on Jerez. Lock it and move on

I know you do not like the FR interior, but on a vert it makes the car along with the extended leather. Not so sure I would do the same on a coupe, but the FR is not flashy in the flesh and adds a richness to the interior. I have yet to find a picture which properly captures the Fox Red i it is no where as flashy as the Imola Red in my E46. The JB is almost impossible to capture as it is a chameleon, changing hues virtually by the hour.
it's not that i dislike the FR, i came very close to taking one from the lot at bmw of manhattan (and im still trying to figure out why i didnt.. oh yeah, it's because they are some of the most terrible people on the planet) and thought it looked great. i just thought the bamboo looked the best of all the interiors at m school, by far. purely subjective

Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Fight On!

Quote:
I got JB and it's a stunning color. However it's easily the most sensitive color I owned to microscratches and clouding. Make sure to tell your dealer not to detail the car's exterior on delivery. Mine looked awful and it took me a couple of months to restore it by hand.
I believe the most sensitive title belongs to Jet Black. I've had various metallic blacks from BMW, but I refuse to get another Jet Black (but it does look stunning when clean).

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 03-07-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I believe the most sensitive title belongs to Jet Black. I've had various metallic blacks from BMW, but I refuse to get another Jet Black (but it does look stunning when clean).
Could be, I never owned one of that very reason. I had a Saphire Black F10 and it was nowhere near as sensitive a JB.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:08 AM
Fight On!

Quote:
Could be, I never owned one of that very reason. I had a Saphire Black F10 and it was nowhere near as sensitive a JB.
Agreed. My Z4M is also Sapphire Black, and it does hide dirt and swirls much better than Jet.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 03-08-2012, 06:01 AM

No question Jerez hides imperfections better than Jet. My Jet black 540i looked really great for a short time, regardless of my care. Once up very close, the imperfections show the same on both, but Jerez benefits from its multiple hue effect depending on light and viewing angle.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:52 PM
DaLlama

Mein Auto: '12 M3Cv, GL550, Evoque
Finally saw mine last weekend... Kind of a tease as I could only drive one car home at a time. We tossed Jarez w/Bamboo around and ended up with Alpine white with silver extended with aluminum trim.. Very sharp, very unique.. I would have LOVED an Interlagos Blue, but the wife put the kibosh on that...Yeah, I'm whipped! Picking mine up this Saturday...Hopefully it will still be warm and go topless for the 2 hour drive home!

Current BMW's:
2012 M3Cv Alpine White/Silver Novillo/DCT/PP/CWP/EPS/220's

Prior BMW's:
2011 X5 35d Sapphire Black metallic/Black Nappa/CWP/PP/TP/SAP/PSP/214's
2012 650i Cv Jet Black/Ivory/CWP/PP/DAP/LSP/356's
2011 535i XDrive Graphite Metallic /Oyster/SP/CP/PP/CWP
2010 X5 35D Alpine white/Tobacco
2007 335i CV Sapphire Black/Saddle
2005 530xi Dark Graphite/Black
Old 03-14-2012, 05:30 PM

great color choice. my PCD is set up for may 25th. man. 72 whole days away. that's a longgggg time. jerez with bamboo locked in!!!