Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto: X5 xDrive 3.0d
Exclamation My engine has just blown - 17K to repair

The turbo on my 3.0d X5 blew up at the weekend and took the engine with it (just under 4 years old - 2011 plate, 40,000 miles, full service history).

Luckily I bought it Approved Used and the dealer had given me two years BMW Assistance and warranty cover instead of the standard one (maybe the owner took out a 5 year plan?). I had just done 1000 miles to Austria skiing and 1000 back the day before. It failed on a 2 mile drive near home at 30 mph.

The dealer said the repair cost with engine, turbo and labour would be about 17,000 inc VAT.

The dealer has been great - no contribution to costs required.

Just wanted to let you all know in case your warranty is coming up for renewal.

I thought these things were bullet-proof!

Last edited by standandeliver; 02-26-2015 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Added currency
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2015, 05:55 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
In the USA there is an 8 year, 80,000 mile warranty on the turbo.

This failure would be covered at no cost, no additional warranty required...
Old 02-25-2015, 06:19 AM

Just Googled that - looks like there was a class action in the States so you guys are OK. Not the same here in the UK though.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:14 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
This is exactly what I think about when I see people chipping their cars.

"No, it's fine - nothing bad ever happens."

You have no idea who the original owner of your car was nor what he may have done to modify the engine. And he has no idea that chipping the engine compromised the turbo because he was long gone when it failed.

Sorry this happened to you.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
Of course, I know nothing about the circumstances of the OP's ride, damage, etc.

But I do know a little about the way the world works, and I have to point out that no manufacturer of anything can make a product that NEVER fails in service. Heck, NASA couldn't do it with the Space Shuttle with a nearly unlimited budget for selecting the finest materials and the most careful craftsmen, how the heck can BMW be expected to do it for a crumby $70,000?

That is why there are warranties.

See, statistics predicts that no matter what it is, if you make enough of them, somewhere out there is one that is going to pass all the tests, and run for a while before breaking in normal service. And evidently the OP won the lottery and FOUND that one.

Which is why there are warranties. Which I note is covering the cost of setting the world right.

So, yeah, "these things are bulletproof." Right up to the point that you find the one that isn't. Might not be another one that will fail so catastrophically out of all the millions of 'em that BMW has made. But evidently, you found "the one." Congratulations, and I'm sorry it was you.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:35 AM

You're right Michael. I must say I've really grown to love the X5 over the last year.

My initial thought was just to get rid of it as soon as it comes back from the dealer - people have been telling me scare stories of problems with ancillary components and sensors after engine replacements.

But I'm still under warranty and if there are some issues, BMW will fix them. It'll still be a great car - just with the occasional swap to a 3 series courtesy car when it has an issue!
Old 02-26-2015, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
The thing is that you never hear a peep out of anyone until they have a problem. If BMW sells ten million of them and three have something break, all three will scream but the other 9,999,997 have nothing to say. And won't. So when you hear about a particular part breaking, take the warnings with a grain of salt.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: E90 M3; '12 X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael47 View Post
The thing is that you never hear a peep out of anyone until they have a problem. If BMW sells ten million of them and three have something break, all three will scream but the other 9,999,997 have nothing to say. And won't. So when you hear about a particular part breaking, take the warnings with a grain of salt.
you also have to make some type of assumption that owners on forums are a fair sampling of worldwide owners.

For M3/Lotus owners and other enthusiast cars, it's a fair sample, but for the X5...nah.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:40 AM
Freshly Addicted

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael47 View Post
Heck, NASA couldn't do it with the Space Shuttle with a nearly unlimited budget for selecting the finest materials and the most careful craftsmen
No, actually the Space shuttles were all built by lowest bidder. Just like all other government projects.