Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Improved Milage With A Tune????

I did a search on this and I really didn't get a definative answere. If you get a tune,,does your milage suffer?? I know all about the right foot,,,but does a tune make your engine more efficient or does a tune actually make the engine burn more fuel in order to be efficient. Again,,I know that the right foot determines ultimately the end result of your milage, but with all things being equal,,,will I see an improvement in milage in NORMAL day to day driving,,???
Ads by Google
Old 10-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Pretty interesting question if one limits it to just 'mileage'.

If you believe there is 'efficiency' that BMW has left on the table, then a tune COULD eek out a bit more power (at a given rpm) and therefore deliver the needed power with a fraction less fuel.

If you believe that.

There is no 'free lunch', but there is little 'slop' in this proicess. Manufacturers DO trim back a BIT, to create a safety buffer: At WOT, approachiung redline, they dont want the motor leaning out dangerously. A tune will typically reduce these safety factors- more advance, maybe lower AFR, and get those 'peak HP dyno numbers' that everyone needs to see. HOWEVER, at cruising speeds (rpms) there is even less room to optimize.

At the end of the day, I'd expect even less mileage difference than you'd get using 91 versus 87 octane.

Surely not enough to screw with a warranty, and never enough to make it financially wise.

A
Old 10-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Pretty interesting question if one limits it to just 'mileage'.

If you believe there is 'efficiency' that BMW has left on the table, then a tune COULD eek out a bit more power (at a given rpm) and therefore deliver the needed power with a fraction less fuel.

If you believe that.

There is no 'free lunch', but there is little 'slop' in this proicess. Manufacturers DO trim back a BIT, to create a safety buffer: At WOT, approachiung redline, they dont want the motor leaning out dangerously. A tune will typically reduce these safety factors- more advance, maybe lower AFR, and get those 'peak HP dyno numbers' that everyone needs to see. HOWEVER, at cruising speeds (rpms) there is even less room to optimize.

At the end of the day, I'd expect even less mileage difference than you'd get using 91 versus 87 octane.

Surely not enough to screw with a warranty, and never enough to make it financially wise.

A
I was kind of thinking along those lines myself,,,Dinan has a discount going on right now and was thinking about getting one,,,,however,,,the cost of the tune vs a more efficient engine (milage wise) I probably would not see a payoff anytime soon......Thanks ARD