Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '10 535i xDrive Wagon
I wonder if ZMX also includes the new aero that the M Performance Edition announcement in Europe mentions?
Old 04-03-2012, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 530
I am confused when shopping the 2013 X5. There seems to be a big redundancy in ZMP and ZMX. That redundancy is the 7XA M sport leather steering wheel with paddles. The ZMX package also gives you steel pedals and black exhaust tips (good only if you got a black x5). The dealers mention but it is not stated anywhere on the pricing sheet.. the extra 40hp. I want ZMX just for the extra 40 hp.

I had one dealer in PA quote me a price for just the 40hp upgrade since I would have already gotten the paddles and don't want the steel pedal and black exhaust tips. I was quoted $895 for just the 40hp upgrade that the dealer says comes with ZMX. The other dealer tells me I still must pay the whole package price.

Firstly BMW pricing sheet provided by this forum does not show anything about the 40hp upgrade in ZMX. Secondly BMW's website still has is not updated for the 2013 models even tho we are in Q2 of 12, so I cannot see this exact upgrade anywhere in writing. Can anyone prove the hp upgrade and secondly confirm if they have just paid for the hp upgrade and not the full package?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2012, 03:19 AM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
I can't find anywhere showing option 767 available as a standalone option when ordering. It could be that there is a Performance Power Kit available and that's what your dealer is quoting you, which would be dealer installed, not factory installed. I'd ask that dealer if they're doing the install for that and if not, to see the order sheet with option 767 on it.

I'm wondering if the steering wheel is something that was left over from the X6 ZMX package, since there is no M Sport for the X6, they just didn't take it out of the X5s paperwork. ZMX is the only way to get the M Sport steering wheel on the X6 though, otherwise you only get the sport steering wheel.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:43 AM

Spoke with the dealer who is calling BMW North America to find out exactly what the intention was with ZMX as it dupes the wheel with paddles in ZMP. Was told there is definitely not a dealer installed power kit, but it is a factory upgrade. But since BMW USA still has yet to acknowledge it is selling any 2013 cars on it's website, and the communications to dealers is spotty on this issue, one needs to wait to see wtf BMW is up to.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: '10 535i xDrive Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
I can't find anywhere showing option 767 available as a standalone option when ordering. It could be that there is a Performance Power Kit available and that's what your dealer is quoting you, which would be dealer installed, not factory installed. I'd ask that dealer if they're doing the install for that and if not, to see the order sheet with option 767 on it.

I'm wondering if the steering wheel is something that was left over from the X6 ZMX package, since there is no M Sport for the X6, they just didn't take it out of the X5s paperwork. ZMX is the only way to get the M Sport steering wheel on the X6 though, otherwise you only get the sport steering wheel.
it could be that the ZMX package "requires" the 7XA steering wheel, which is simply an option with ZMP...

I am wondering if ZMX will also include the new aero announced by BMW in europe as part of their M Performance models ...
Old 04-04-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cable View Post
it could be that the ZMX package "requires" the 7XA steering wheel, which is simply an option with ZMP...

I am wondering if ZMX will also include the new aero announced by BMW in europe as part of their M Performance models ...
Wonder if that means you can't get the heated steering wheel with the ZMX package, I think that's what changes you to other non-paddle shift equipped one.

New aero on the X5 M50d basically looks like the M Sport kit without the foglights or did they change something else?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW x5 x35i SA
There is a paddle-shift heated stearing wheel. It's available on the Sport Activity package. I don't believe the M steering wheel is heated, however.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:14 PM

Looks like the 2013 configurator just went up online. If I add the cold weather package with ZMP and ZMX it doesn't change the steering wheel. It actually doesn't list the other wheel for ZMP on the 35i SA, but it does on the 50i. Not sure, they don't have any info on the M Performance Package either, it just says M Performance Package.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory34 View Post
There is a paddle-shift heated stearing wheel. It's available on the Sport Activity package. I don't believe the M steering wheel is heated, however.
I just ordered and got a production number from BMW with ZMP,ZMX, and Cold Weather Package (which included item no 248 which is a heated steering wheel). The steering wheel that was accepted with the order was the 7XA M steering wheel with paddles, so it's gotta be heated. CA is still waiting to hear from BMW NA and also headquarters about getting a much more detailed description of ZMX going forward, especially with the lack of identifier for just the 40hp upgrade, which the CA says is done by a computer program at the factory.

Last edited by palmster; 04-05-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 Black 50i M-Sport
Please keep us informed on how your order progresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmster View Post
I just ordered and got a production number from BMW with ZMP,ZMX, and Cold Weather Package (which included item no 248 which is a heated steering wheel). The steering wheel that was accepted with the order was the 7XA M steering wheel with paddles, so it's gotta be heated. CA is still waiting to hear from BMW NA and also headquarters about getting a much more detailed description of ZMX going forward, especially with the lack of identifier for just the 40hp upgrade, which the CA says is done by a computer program at the factory.

Please keep us informed on what you learn regarding the heated M-Sport wheel. Am in the same situation, ordering a 2013 with ZMP and cold weather (and willing to order the ZMX if that is what gets you a heated steering wheel), but my sales guy can't figure out their rules/pricing either and hasn't gotten a clear answer from anyone else at the dealership or corporate.

Am hoping that the 2013 (for some unknown reason) get a heated M-Sport wheel when prior years have not, although I am not holding my breath.

Not a deal breaker, but would love to have heated wheel. very nice in the winter on way to work.

Reminds me of the confusion Audi A6/A7 were going through last fall when no one was sure if their 3-spoke sport wheel would be heated.... It does seem odd since the real X5M HAS a heated wheel.

Thanks for posting and please keep us updated as you learn more.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:37 AM

According to ordering rules...doesn't look like a heated M-Wheel

according to the ordering guide on page 4 the ordering rule states

- 248 cannot be ordered with ZMP

248 = Heated Steering Wheel
ZMP = M-Sports Package

Which is probably why the Cold Weather Package costs $600 with ZMP and $750 without ZMP. BMW appears to be valuing the Heated Steering Wheel at $150.

Hope I am wrong, but it doesn't appear the the M-Sport Steering Wheel will be heated for the 2013 model year. Bummer.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
I dealt with this when ordering my LCI X5. The M wheel is not heated which makes the CWP cheaper. One major reason(along with the rims) is why I did not get the MSport package
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 04-08-2012, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 50i
I lost track in this thread, are you able to get the power increase without ordering the M Sport package? I only like the 19" wheels and the aluminum roof rails but could do without the additional expense if 30-50 horsepower and torque can be had separately.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktono View Post
I lost track in this thread, are you able to get the power increase without ordering the M Sport package? I only like the 19" wheels and the aluminum roof rails but could do without the additional expense if 30-50 horsepower and torque can be had separately.
You are confusing ZMP (M Sport Package). M Sport Package never offered an increase in HP. Re: ZMX so far the answer is NO.. One must order the full ZMX (M Performance Package) for $1,600 to get the 40hp upgrade, which is ridiculous and not well thought out as this is just a computer program that modifies the engine for the power upgrade at the factory (not a different engine). My CA has sent emails to BMW USA who forwarded the question to the factory, who forwarded the question to Munich. No response as of April 9, so I just ordered the whole package for $1,600 as to not delay my delivery.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plegard View Post
Please keep us informed on what you learn regarding the heated M-Sport wheel. Am in the same situation, ordering a 2013 with ZMP and cold weather (and willing to order the ZMX if that is what gets you a heated steering wheel), but my sales guy can't figure out their rules/pricing either and hasn't gotten a clear answer from anyone else at the dealership or corporate.

Am hoping that the 2013 (for some unknown reason) get a heated M-Sport wheel when prior years have not, although I am not holding my breath.

Not a deal breaker, but would love to have heated wheel. very nice in the winter on way to work.

Reminds me of the confusion Audi A6/A7 were going through last fall when no one was sure if their 3-spoke sport wheel would be heated.... It does seem odd since the real X5M HAS a heated wheel.

Thanks for posting and please keep us updated as you learn more.

Here's what I just found out re heated M steering wheel.

If you order ZCW and ZMP then there are two options which you need to clearly specificy with your CA. One can either get the 7XA with paddles and NO HEAT, or just another M steering wheel without paddles but WITH HEAT. If you order ZCW, ZMP and ZMX then ZMX overrides all and you will get the 7XA M Steering Wheel WITH Paddles and NO HEAT.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:10 AM

So odd that you can't choose either the 2XA Sports Activity heated steering wheel with paddle shifters that comes with the SA models on non M sports models or the M heated steering wheel with paddle shifters that comes with the x5m... Actually on that note - why do they make so many different steering wheels???
Old 04-09-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Doesn't appear so at this point, however, the Power Kit is avilable on the x6 35i, as well as the 3 series. It wouldn't surprise me if it became available at a later date.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory34 View Post
Doesn't appear so at this point, however, the Power Kit is avilable on the x6 35i, as well as the 3 series. It wouldn't surprise me if it became available at a later date.
I don't think they have a PPK out for the N55 powered X6's do they? Thought it was only for the N54's.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
I don't think they have a PPK out for the N55 powered X6's do they? Thought it was only for the N54's.
Ah, this is correct. I forgot that the x6 oriinally shipped with the N54. The N55 Power Kit is only currently available for the 135 and 335 models. Same logic really though...you'd think if they offer the PPK for the N55 135 and 335, that they'd offer it for the x6 and x5. Who knows what they will do, but to me, that would seem to make sense.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:45 AM

What r u going to do?

Quote:
Here's what I just found out re heated M steering wheel.

If you order ZCW and ZMP then there are two options which you need to clearly specificy with your CA. One can either get the 7XA with paddles and NO HEAT, or just another M steering wheel without paddles but WITH HEAT. If you order ZCW, ZMP and ZMX then ZMX overrides all and you will get the 7XA M Steering Wheel WITH Paddles and NO HEAT.

Palmster,
What are you going to do on your order?

So to be clear, you are hearing that M-Steering Wheel (code 7XA) with paddle shifters CAN NOT be heated but that M-Steering Wheel (code 710) CAN be heated?

Too confusing.

Would you mind sharing where you got this information? Sales guy? Corporate?

Thanks for the continued updates. We appreciate it.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plegard View Post
Palmster,
What are you going to do on your order?

So to be clear, you are hearing that M-Steering Wheel (code 7XA) with paddle shifters CAN NOT be heated but that M-Steering Wheel (code 710) CAN be heated?

Too confusing.

Would you mind sharing where you got this information? Sales guy? Corporate?

Thanks for the continued updates. We appreciate it.
Without adding to BMW's created confusion, what you just said is what I was told. 7XA CANNOT be heated. 710 IS heated. If you order ZMX on top of ZMP then 7XA is your wheel NOT the 710 and it supersedes the BMW description of the ZCW.

I got this from my CA who claims to have spoken directly with Spartanburg, SC plant, but it is coming from a salesperson.

What am I going to do?
If my X5 arrives without 7XA (because of some silly conflicting BMW codes that automatically populated my order form), I will refuse delivery of the car as I'm in it for the paddles, not the heat.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 50i
Quote:
You are confusing ZMP (M Sport Package). M Sport Package never offered an increase in HP. Re: ZMX so far the answer is NO.. One must order the full ZMX (M Performance Package) for $1,600 to get the 40hp upgrade, which is ridiculous and not well thought out as this is just a computer program that modifies the engine for the power upgrade at the factory (not a different engine).
Palmster,
The online configuration will not allow just the $1,600 M Performance Package, you have to get the $4,700 M Sport Package. Maybe this can be added by the dealer, is that what you were able to do?
Old 04-10-2012, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Palmster,
The online configuration will not allow just the $1,600 M Performance Package, you have to get the $4,700 M Sport Package. Maybe this can be added by the dealer, is that what you were able to do?
The M Sport Package is required to order the M Performance Package, you can't get ZMX without also ordering ZMP.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Palmster,
Of course it wont. This is quite evident on the website if you attempt to build the car. You have to order the M sport package to get the M performance package.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Personally I think it sucks that you need the m-sport option to get the performance package. I would assume that a x5 with adaptive drive and 20" wheels would be just as good if not better than the msport package. I called my sales guy and he is hunting down to see off this can be a dealer option since it should be a software flash.

I have a feeling that this may be a dealer option in the future
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500