Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 06-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
I don't have many options. Conoco, Shell and Costco and it's 91 octane with a certain percent ethanol additive or whatever that is that they do here in Colorado. I've filled up 3 times now since I got it.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: 525 & 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbajack View Post
My 2013 35i that I have had two weeks now totally hesitates sometimes. I am already in the habit of disabling the auto start/stop thing when I turn on the car so that's never a factor. I have found that I have to drive around in Sport mode if I don't want to experience the hesitation upon acceleration. It's super annoying and I'm not very happy about it. It is nothing like my 2011 335i. Not a bit. And I'm getting 6 mpg less so far.
I have hesitation if I am still in ASS (auto start stop) when I start to move. However, I am only in ASS mode if I know I am not going to need to accelerate fast. First ASS mode goes off automatically after thirty seconds and you can feel the engine restart. If the engine is stopped, I let off of the brake just a tad and it restarts so I can accelerate fast. No hesitation.

I started this thread worrying about the problem but I can truly say it has not been a problem for me in the 2013 X3 28i. My style of driving combined with the traffic conditions would run me crazy if the hesitation were a problem. I have to squeeze into short gaps in traffic from a standstill and I have to accelerate or get clobbered.

Also, the hesitation I get when coming out of ASS mode is like only a microsecond.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:16 AM
Jen4BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i M Sport
Wabbajack, did you ever get that hesitation issue taken care of on your 35i?

When I test drove X3's I didn't feel the hesitation in the 2013 35i in any mode. In fact, quite the opposite, the 35i's smooth strong thrust really impresssed me. Granted, it was a test drive so hardly a full report. My 35i arrives next week on Monday so I'll share my reports late week.

On the flip side, I was originally intent on buying a 28i until my 3rd test drive at which point the hesitation issue just became to annoying for me to have to live with in a $50K ride.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen4BMW View Post
Wabbajack, did you ever get that hesitation issue taken care of on your 35i?

When I test drove X3's I didn't feel the hesitation in the 2013 35i in any mode. In fact, quite the opposite, the 35i's smooth strong thrust really impresssed me. Granted, it was a test drive so hardly a full report. My 35i arrives next week on Monday so I'll share my reports late week.

On the flip side, I was originally intent on buying a 28i until my 3rd test drive at which point the hesitation issue just became to annoying for me to have to live with in a $50K ride.
This is becoming weird. I have the 28i and do not have a hesitation problem.

Like I posted a few minutes ago, if there was a problem, I would have been clobbered by now.

If the car is in ASS mode (auto stop/start), then there is a hesitation for it to restart the engine. But, that is easy to avoid if it really bugs you. Just turn it off.

But, what is not a problem to me or others may be a huge problem for others. ASS mode does take some getting used to but the whole car has been a learning experience for me. I just a few days ago learned how to use the parking brake. There are several strange things to me since I was driving a 2003 525 a few weeks ago. This is a different car, but it is the way all cars are headed.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:23 AM

So I was paying closer attention as I was driving around this morning, and what I'm experiencing as an intermittent hesitation when accelerating from a stop, almost feels more like the transmission being slow to engage-almost like a gear slipping feeling that I haven't experienced for over 20 years since driving an old car with the transmission going out. I don't know enough about the technology to determine the difference between if it's that or the throttle. And it definitely doesn't happen in Sport Mode. I have instant trigger response when in Sport Mode like I did on my 335.

And Jen, no I've only had it two weeks and am still trying to get used to. It's very different than my past two 335's and I'm still experiencing a lot of culture shock! LOL
Old 06-21-2012, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35 Sport, AW,Moj
I have a 2013 35i X3. Hesitation is definitely there any time I am accelerating from 2000 RPM or less, so not just starts from a standstill but also when, for example, you are accelerating from a coast on the highway or accelerating for a lane change or passing situation. Still have it in sport mode but to a lesser extent. Only solution is to manually drive with shifting using the paddle shifters. I had the same thing with my 2009 335 ix until 3 months before the end of the lease when the dealer did a reprogram that totally fixed the issue. I am scheduled to have this reprogramming done in mid-July for the X3. I only use max octane Shell gasoline--the best.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:01 PM

Hmmm interesting what you say as that is actually my experience but until I could go out and recreate it, I didn't want to post it. I drove on the highway through the mountains yesterday and experienced that on several occasions.

Now I am going to be even more observant to try to pinpoint it.

Is there really a software update available that newly built cars aren't getting? I find that hard to believe that they aren't sending cars off the line in Spartanburg with the absolute latest of everything.

Oh, and our gas is our gas. We don't have any other options. 91 is the highest. The next is 89 and the regular is 85.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Quote:
Oh, and our gas is our gas. We don't have any other options. 91 is the highest. The next is 89 and the regular is 85.
Is the lower octane related to the altitude in CO?

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 06-22-2012, 08:42 AM

I just had something funky happen-I was turning onto a road from a stop and had the gear shift in Sport Mode (to the left) but not the suspension, and as I accelerated, going from S2 to S3 (without manually shifting), it pulsated like it was missing or getting uneven fuel injection or the tranny slipping or something.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I just had something funky happen-I was turning onto a road from a stop and had the gear shift in Sport Mode (to the left) but not the suspension, and as I accelerated, going from S2 to S3 (without manually shifting), it pulsated like it was missing or getting uneven fuel injection or the tranny slipping or something.
IMO, with all of the new stuff on the 2013, there has to be some kinks. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
donno, no "kinks" in my 2013.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebry View Post
IMO, with all of the new stuff on the 2013, there has to be some kinks. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
What new stuff? Nothing changed other than the 28 and it's new engine. The 35 is exactly the same save for a few minor pricing things such as the auto trunk is standard now rather than an option.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by versaten View Post
I have a 2013 35i X3. Hesitation is definitely there any time I am accelerating from 2000 RPM or less, so not just starts from a standstill but also when, for example, you are accelerating from a coast on the highway or accelerating for a lane change or passing situation. Still have it in sport mode but to a lesser extent. Only solution is to manually drive with shifting using the paddle shifters. I had the same thing with my 2009 335 ix until 3 months before the end of the lease when the dealer did a reprogram that totally fixed the issue. I am scheduled to have this reprogramming done in mid-July for the X3. I only use max octane Shell gasoline--the best.
don't let them blame this on gas --------AGAIN!. This is not a gas issue, it is not the way you drive, not all of them do this. Those are the standard excuses given by every dealership when a hesitation problem is brought up. It took them 4 years to correct this in the prior X3. Meanwhile owners were given every bs excuse in the book. Starting with those three. This is because they are trying to trick the mpg numbers and the collateral damage is this.

Read the sticky for the 2007-2010 model and what you are describing is an exact almost word for word problem they had before. It just sounds like it is not as pronounced where you would get almost a 1.3 second hesitation between 2-3 gear from a rolling stop or start.

There should be no excuse for this considering what they put hundreds if not thousands of previous MY owners through.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 06-24-2012, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
After driving my new 2013 28d for a month now, I think I still have the same hesitation that everyone is talking about. Here's what I'm sensing.

From a standstill when I press the accelerator it feels unresponsive. Almost feels like they deadened the first few inches of the accelerator pedal. If I hold it there the power comes on stronger after it shifts to 2nd gear. I like the ability to get a little more of an aggressive start from a standstill sometimes and I feel like it's intentionally holding me back to keep from doing that. I don't like it. My 2003 325xi was nothing like this.

Interesting enough I'm traveling on the east coast and driving a Scion xB. The first day I had to be so careful with the throttle because it was so aggressive in that first inch of depression of the accelerator pedal. My brain and toes have been compensating for my X3 and now it really shows.

So, is this the same problem that everyone else is reporting on this thread? I was lead to believe this was resolved with the new release, but I'm guessing it's not?
Old 06-24-2012, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
It sounds to me like you are driving in EcoPro mode. But seriously, I test drove a 2013 28i and there was no hesitation and I own a 2013 35i... no hesitation.

Does the car accelerate the same way in drive? How about with the shifter in DS mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardjoe View Post
After driving my new 2013 28d for a month now, I think I still have the same hesitation that everyone is talking about. Here's what I'm sensing.

From a standstill when I press the accelerator it feels unresponsive. Almost feels like they deadened the first few inches of the accelerator pedal. If I hold it there the power comes on stronger after it shifts to 2nd gear. I like the ability to get a little more of an aggressive start from a standstill sometimes and I feel like it's intentionally holding me back to keep from doing that. I don't like it. My 2003 325xi was nothing like this.

Interesting enough I'm traveling on the east coast and driving a Scion xB. The first day I had to be so careful with the throttle because it was so aggressive in that first inch of depression of the accelerator pedal. My brain and toes have been compensating for my X3 and now it really shows.

So, is this the same problem that everyone else is reporting on this thread? I was lead to believe this was resolved with the new release, but I'm guessing it's not?
Old 06-24-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
It sounds to me like you are driving in EcoPro mode. But seriously, I test drove a 2013 28i and there was no hesitation and I own a 2013 35i... no hesitation.

Does the car accelerate the same way in drive? How about with the shifter in DS mode?
Definitely in Comfort mode here. I have not tried to see how different it is in DS or Sport mode. I will try that when I get back home.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Definitely in Comfort mode here. I have not tried to see how different it is in DS or Sport mode. I will try that when I get back home.
When you come out of stop/start mode there is a hesitation for it to start. When I stop and think I may need to accelerate fast, I ease up on the brake a tad and that kicks it out of stop/start mode and it does not hesitate. A tad is just a tad and you can feel the motor restart.

I worried about this back when I was looking at a 2012 BMW and it has not been a problem for me so far. I do not know what happens when I am on the highway and want to pass a car really quick. Don't want any hesitation then.

Maybe I will drive it with stop/start disabled and see how that drives.

Last edited by joebry; 06-24-2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: add something
Old 06-25-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I test drove a 2013 28i and there was no hesitation and I own a 2013 35i... no hesitation.
I've had my 2013 35i for about 2 months/3700 miles now, and I also do not notice any hesitation. The delayed throttle response on 2011 and 2012 models was addressed in a software update http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=615898.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:32 AM

I just had it happen again on my morning route through my neighborhood coming back from the hiking trail. I was in Sport Mode and at the 3rd stop sign as I accelerated from a stop, it herky-jerked mildly. It feels more like a fuel injector-type issue. I dunno. I'll be driving through the mountains again down to the city on Friday and we'll see what happens.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
When you come out of stop/start mode there is a hesitation for it to start. When I stop and think I may need to accelerate fast, I ease up on the brake a tad and that kicks it out of stop/start mode and it does not hesitate. A tad is just a tad and you can feel the motor restart.

I worried about this back when I was looking at a 2012 BMW and it has not been a problem for me so far. I do not know what happens when I am on the highway and want to pass a car really quick. Don't want any hesitation then.

Maybe I will drive it with stop/start disabled and see how that drives.
Good point on this. I do know about the extra second after restarting, but I notice it even when the auto stop is disabled. I'll tinker with it some more and try a few other things. I have yet to play with DS and Sport modes to see what those are like too.

Could be I'm still adjusting. Once I'm at 15mph or higher, the response is immediate--no hesitation. It's only from stops that I notice some lag there.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Good point on this. I do know about the extra second after restarting, but I notice it even when the auto stop is disabled. I'll tinker with it some more and try a few other things. I have yet to play with DS and Sport modes to see what those are like too.

Could be I'm still adjusting. Once I'm at 15mph or higher, the response is immediate--no hesitation. It's only from stops that I notice some lag there.
One thing for sure, and I have a 28i, when it does go, it goes like zoom. If a car does not hit me when I first pull into a lane of traffic, he won't hit me once the pedal hits the floor cause I am gone. Sometimes just kinda easing along, I press the pedal and it kinda jumps and jumps too fast. I almost have to baby the accelerator.

I came from a 2003 525i and it is taking some getting used to.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:05 PM

I have a 2013 28i and I can confirm that even in Sport, OR M/S modes there is sometimes an acceleration delay. It doesn't bother me too often but a situation today could have been dangerous. I was trying to cross a busy 4 way intersection that was only a 2 way stop. I saw a brief clearing in the constant flow of cars and I floored the throttle. The car sat there and thought for a second and then burned rubber.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteowade View Post
I have a 2013 28i and I can confirm that even in Sport, OR M/S modes there is sometimes an acceleration delay. It doesn't bother me too often but a situation today could have been dangerous. I was trying to cross a busy 4 way intersection that was only a 2 way stop. I saw a brief clearing in the constant flow of cars and I floored the throttle. The car sat there and thought for a second and then burned rubber.
That's the kind of hesitation I'm talking about. It's like pushing your foot down and the computer is only applying about 50% of that and then finally 100% of what I'm asking for in about 2 seconds. It's as if BMW desensitizes or dampens the impact of the accelerator pedal for 1-2 seconds.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
That's the kind of hesitation I'm talking about. It's like pushing your foot down and the computer is only applying about 50% of that and then finally 100% of what I'm asking for in about 2 seconds. It's as if BMW desensitizes or dampens the impact of the accelerator pedal for 1-2 seconds.
What is confusing me is that I think I know what is going to happen when I press the accelerator but something different happens. Sometimes there is no hesitation and it is like a bullet. Other times I think I am glad a car was not coming when I pulled out. If I could get consistency, I would be ok. But, so far, no consistency.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
What is confusing me is that I think I know what is going to happen when I press the accelerator but something different happens. Sometimes there is no hesitation and it is like a bullet. Other times I think I am glad a car was not coming when I pulled out. If I could get consistency, I would be ok. But, so far, no consistency.
So, this evening on the way to the grocery store and back, I decided to switch into Sport mode. Wow. What a difference. I'm just not used to having to change modes like that, but it was certainly welcome. I need to use that more often. Accelerator response was perfect. I do wish they did not dampen it so much in Comfort mode though. I think that's the main issue I'm experiencing.