Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-21-2012, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
2006 530i Overheating!!

Ok, this is extremely frustrating. I have an 06 530i that seems to be overheating. The car doesn’t come with a temperature gage so I’m not 100% sure but my engine fan seems to ALWAYS turn on during the first 10-20 minutes of each start. It doesn’t matter if I drive 10 miles an hour or 80 mph, the fan always seems to turn on for 10-20 minutes each time. After this short interval, the fan turns off and it will stay off until I turn the car on again.

It’s frustrating because it sounds like the fan is on full blast trying to cool down the engine. Several years ago while the fan was on full blast, a “pull over immediately” indication came on my iDrive so I pulled over. I was a little short on radiator fluid so I topped it off and waited 20 minutes. After 20 minutes the car seemed to be fine sans the engine fan running on full blast. On a 1300 mile trip from the Mid West to Miami, Florida, my car did the same thing while on the highway. So again, I pulled over and checked all my fluids. Everything was topped off so I waited 20 minutes and the car never over heated again.

It’s been 6 months since my last over heating problem and I recently took my car into a mechanic who advised me I have a bad thermostat. The code that the computer spit out was P0597. I paid the guy to replace the thermostat and asked he check the water pump. He said he ran a “bleeding test” on the water pump and it was working fine and that after changing my thermostat, the car is in good shape.

Its been a few days since I’ve had my car back and the problem still exists. The fan runs on full blast and I cannot figure out what the issue is!!!

Fellow owners and mechanics, please tell me you’ve heard similar problems from other BMW owners and advise me of a solution.

THANKS
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
You say the problem persists... what does? The fan running or the car throwing error codes? If your car is throwing the same error code take it back to the mechanic. If you are worried because your fan is running I wouldnt worry about it unless there is something else associated with it.

Mods
MTEC V3.0 AE's, Black and white roundels, Clear LED Side-markers, New Conti ExtremeContact DWS's, Charcoal Filter Delete, 35% Tint, 20%rear.

http://s705.photobucket.com/albums/w...%20BMW%20545i/

GARY BETTMAN IS A TOOL!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:34 PM

I have not checked the codes yet but will this weekend. My problem is that the fan turns on all the time but only for 10-20 minutes on full blast after starting the car. This doesn't seem usual. Why does the fan turn on all the time?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:10 PM

My first guess is to check the cooling system, but then again I am paranoid after replacing most of mine
The only time I heard my fan on high was when it tried to overheat due to the lower radiator hose and sensor going bad. Let us know what codes you received.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:00 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somwhere

Mein Auto: 330i, Z3 2.8L, 545i
Are you running A/C now. The A/C on circuit does put the fan on high until the condenser cools. This could be a A/C refrigerant . This could also be normal mode operation and not related to the past experience. A faulty temp sensor could trigger the same.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:21 AM

I will run codes no later than Sunday and I will update the page.

Hogie- The fan runs with or without the AC on. I've determined that it's either 1) possessed or 2) directly or indirectly mechanically faulted . Since I'm a realist I'm leaning towards the latter.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Yield Bond View Post
I will run codes no later than Sunday and I will update the page.

Hogie- The fan runs with or without the AC on. I've determined that it's either 1) possessed or 2) directly or indirectly mechanically faulted . Since I'm a realist I'm leaning towards the latter.
You live in Florida, maybe live close to salt water area, I'd say clean the thermostat contact a few times (re-insert and unplug) . I assume the mechanic read the code and replaced the thermostat already and he is reliable.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
How many miles on the car? This car has electric water pump; was it ever replaced on this car? How did the mechanic test water pump?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:15 AM

2006. Yes it is electric. Apparently the mechanic did a bleeding test. Not sure what that entails.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Yield Bond View Post
2006. Yes it is electric. Apparently the mechanic did a bleeding test. Not sure what that entails.
When the cooling thermostat or pump is removed and replaced there is a coolant system bleeding process that removes any air bubbles from the system. The process involves running the coolant pump for about 8-10 minutes. I think what the mechanic is telling you is that the pump operated fine during the bleeding.

I had the same type of issue and it turned out to be a bad water pump. If you turn off the car and wait for a few minutes then the DME resets itself and sometimes the pump will start operating again. You should take the car to a shop with the proper scan tools for a BMW and have them read the BMW specific error codes. The shop will be able to tell if the water pump has been failing to operate.

The pump is pricey- about $500- and there are very few sources for it other then the stealership.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:36 AM

So you had the same type of fan issues and when you replaced water pump everything worked out fine? Do you recall what type of codes your mechanic was getting when you had this issue? Mine is P0597.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:45 PM

I had the water pump replaced and it fixed the fan issue. Thank goodness this is over. I was really worried I had a serious problem.