Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-13-2012, 06:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
deleted
Old 04-13-2012, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 528i
this is my favorite thread.. keep your opinions coming, guys..
Old 04-13-2012, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
For the majority of owners out there the N20 is all the engine you will ever need. I drove the 328i F30 last week and I was blown away at the power. Granted it's pushing a 3400lbs car, but 24 city / 36 highway / 28 combined just cannot be ignored especially when gas is $4.30 a gallon and rising over here. It's an engineering feat.
A normally aspirated 4 cyl Camry 25/35/28 combined.
I think BMW had to take 3mpg off the hwy number and 1mpg off the city number. It was found to be too high. At this point it is fairly the same as the 335i auto.
2001 Mercedes Benz C320
2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
1997 BMW 540i
1991 Nissan 240SX
1990 Nissan Maxima
Old 04-13-2012, 10:15 AM

i think 24/36 is 3 series numbers..
5 series is at 23/34
Old 04-13-2012, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph1201 View Post
i think 24/36 is 3 series numbers..
5 series is at 23/34
Correct! I think eventually those numbers will be revised just like the 3 were. The 3er numbers are not 24/36 but 23/33 so the 528i won't have better mileage than the 3series, get it?
2001 Mercedes Benz C320
2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
1997 BMW 540i
1991 Nissan 240SX
1990 Nissan Maxima
Old 04-25-2012, 10:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to pegscrapr Send a message via Yahoo to pegscrapr
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW R1200RT
Awesome, well detailed review. Glad you're enjoying your new ride!
Old 06-22-2012, 12:59 AM

Mein Auto: 523i
Nice write up and great review mate. Thank you.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 E90, 2012 F10
Great review! I just finished my break in on my 2012 528i and definitely share the sentiment that this is a great engine and makes me abundantly happy. To help potential buyers, I'll throw my $0.02 in to an already really helpful thread.

Coming from an 07 E90 328i, the most obvious challenges to getting comfy in the F10 is losing the steering feel (jesus it is heavy), the engine differences (mostly good in my few months), and the overall size and comfort (just heads over heels in love with F10).

The steering is just completely different. I drove the E90 after about a month of F10 driving, and it was just amusingly demanding. It really feels like a completely different experience. I joked with my wife that I felt like I was getting a workout! The thing this really made me notice was the need for small corrections driving. When I am cruising in the E90, particularly at highway speeds, I find myself making really small subtle corrections that are just not always necessary in the F10 - particularly when cruising in a straight line at highway speed. The connectedness in the E90 at speed is just a different animal. With that being said, I prefer the F10 steering for my drive. I commute in awful traffic for 95% of my driving. I am averaging just under 20MPG and less than 20mph average speed every day. Given my drives, the lighter steering is actually very pleasant for me, and I prefer it for driving in mixed and/or heavy traffic. At highway speeds, it takes a little getting used to - and I am used to it, and like it. For the record, with highway only driving, I was averaging just over 35.5mpg on a moderate drive averaging 65mpg.

The engine is obviously different from the I6. I didn't fully recall/appreciate the smooth, linear acceleration of my I6 until I drove the F10, and then drove the I6 again. But I also have become addicted to the immediacy of the torque and the responsiveness of the N20 with the 8AT. It is so smooth and so quick. I rarely revved my E90 high enough in mixed driving to fully appreciate the vast range of power. I have yet to want for power in my F10, in largely suburban and urban driving. In traffic, I greatly prefer the F10 given its lightning quick application of torque, and many optional settings for aggressiveness depending on my mood. If I really need to go, sport and a heavy foot gives me everything I need. Now that I have had a chance to go WOT and be heavier with my foot post-break in, I really fully appreciate this little engine's punch. I have not yet felt that I was hindered on an on-ramp, or unable to overtake someone at speed. In fact, at highway speed, I am reminded of my E90's seemingly eager desire to go faster than I thought I was. The F10 is no different - you can easily find yourself making an aggressive run without intending to. I love the N20, and the I6, and appreciate them both as uniquely capable, awesome engines.

The overall size and comfort of the F10 has really been fun to get used to. Took me a few weeks to adjust to the girth and parking (thank god for the PDC in my office garage!). Obviously when coming from an E90, the F10 is just a significantly larger car to maneuver in tight city environments. But I have no regrets on having a bigger car. I just take a little longer to parallel park! The comforts of the F10 are just head over heels better than the E90. Those comfort seats - everything you hear about them is true. Unquestionably the best car seats I have ever been in, and better than most office chairs in my opinion. My E90 Sport seats seem better suited for a smaller person once coming from F10 to E90. (mind you I am pretty tall, so E90 was always a little snug for me.)

A few other observations:
Overall, I am in love with my F10. For those wondering, I have the M Sport package with 18" Sport RFTS, and have no complaints about them. Coming from 18" rfts in my E90, I am used to the harsher feel. I swap my E90 wheels out with non-rfts each winter, and am always tempted to just do away with the rfts given how much more comfy the standard tires are. But I am hauling a kid everywhere I go, so the safety wins every time. I haven't had any drama at speed, nor any concerns with feedback, pulling, or rumblings at speed. Love the visual impact of the M Sport package, and am not ashamed of driving an aggressive looking car with a 4 banger. The car is gorgeous. (carbon black and black/tan dakota.)

I have the Dynamic Damper Control that came with M Sport package in '12. I adore it. I strongly advise folks to drive a car with it and experience the different mannerisms possible with this car in different modes. Coming from suburbia I prefer sport since I am driving on fairly well maintained roads. And then I cross the MD/DC line and comfort plus is necessary! Seriously softens up some majorly awful roads. I use sport, and comfort plus for 90% of my driving. Comfort as standard for the rest. I would not want to have an F10 without the various options for my own driving conditions. I can see how some find it unnecessary. But if you drive on variable roads, DDC is a must have in my opinion.

Agree on all fronts on the engine idle - the N20 can be a little rough on the senses. The same with the auto start/stop. It does not bother me very often since I spend so much time in traffic - and the savings on gas is real when your engine is off for multiple minutes when it would otherwise be rumbling along.

One other item - this car is awesome for kid hauling. I have a convertable forward facing car seat for my 2y/o and have room behind my seat for an infant seat as well for future progeny, and I am pretty tall. No way this setup would have worked in an E90. The install of the carseat was a pain in the ass since the Latch connectors in my setup are buried between the gap in the seats! So for you kid haulers out there, bring patience when setting up carseats in a car without the fold down rear. Not sure if there if a difference in LATCH setup in F10 cars with or without folding rear seats like there was on my E90. The middle rear-seat fold down with cup holders is the perfect length for holding sippy cups and other kid items - my son uses it every day!

If there is anything else I can opine on, I am glad to, and thanks again to OP for some really useful info - I hope this additional feedback on the 528i is helpful.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:18 AM

@skiajl6297

thanks a lot for your detailed review!
you mentioned the comfort seats - that is the same as multi contour seats, rite?

can you or somebody else tell in how many ways is a multi contour seat different from the nromal one..

i mean i know the MC setas have extendebale seat to support your lower limb till your knees. and also adjustable head rests. anything else?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph1201 View Post
@skiajl6297

thanks a lot for your detailed review!
you mentioned the comfort seats - that is the same as multi contour seats, rite?

can you or somebody else tell in how many ways is a multi contour seat different from the nromal one..

i mean i know the MC setas have extendebale seat to support your lower limb till your knees. and also adjustable head rests. anything else?
Upper backrest is split and adjustable.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 10-02-2012, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 528i xDrive
I have been observing this forum for some time now, but this is my first post. I just wanted to say THANK YOU for the great review and update BlackGato. In addition, thank you Tokyo4Bimmer and skiajl6297 for your reviews also. I recently purchased a 528i xdrive and I should be able to take delivery of it in 2 weeks. Could not be more excited! The reviews and comments in here really helped. For me, the power gap between the 535 and 528 was not such a big deal since I am coming from a 4 cylinder Toyota Camry. Both were a major boost in power. I decided to spend the difference on options. As a recently new graduate, I had a price range I wanted to stay in for my first luxury vehicle. I spent months researching and test driving many cars from BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Cadillac, Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura. In the end I kept coming back to the BMW and I am finally glad to have settled on the 528i. This forum has been very helpful and hopefully I will be able to either make an Enet cable and download the data or ask a nearby member for some help to make some internal mods. Thank you again everyone!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatel1186 View Post
I have been observing this forum for some time now, but this is my first post. I just wanted to say THANK YOU for the great review and update BlackGato. In addition, thank you Tokyo4Bimmer and skiajl6297 for your reviews also. I recently purchased a 528i xdrive and I should be able to take delivery of it in 2 weeks. Could not be more excited! The reviews and comments in here really helped. For me, the power gap between the 535 and 528 was not such a big deal since I am coming from a 4 cylinder Toyota Camry. Both were a major boost in power. I decided to spend the difference on options. As a recently new graduate, I had a price range I wanted to stay in for my first luxury vehicle. I spent months researching and test driving many cars from BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Cadillac, Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura. In the end I kept coming back to the BMW and I am finally glad to have settled on the 528i. This forum has been very helpful and hopefully I will be able to either make an Enet cable and download the data or ask a nearby member for some help to make some internal mods. Thank you again everyone!
you have a few similiarities with me :
1. coming from toyota camry (even though they were rental cars)
2. i stayed in parma heights
Old 10-02-2012, 12:01 PM

Haha... Parma Heights is basically 20 minutes from my home. The Camry has been great throughout my college years; but it was definitely time for an upgrade.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: Anything with wheels
Another thank you post

Guys another thank you for taking the time and writing a review of the N20 engine. I've been looking all around the internet for such a review without any success.

I have ordered an X3 and will be picking it up in two weeks. Build the car online and ordered it without driving. I just finally saw one at a dealer with the color I ordered which I was not too sure about.

I have had many BMWs before and always been very happy with the cars and their engineering. This time, I wanted a daily driver and I wanted to sit a little higher. I wanted comfort, nice interior and decent gas mileage while also getting good driving dynamics.

I have a 911S to sooth my speed, sport car demons. So I didn't need a 35i with all the sport extras.

Reading your reviews confirms my decision that I build/ordered the right car.

Thanks again for taking the time to write a detail, honest review.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:00 PM
RZ

Mein Auto: 2013 528 Alpine White/Oys
Thank you BlackGato for the review. I'm involved with a "Trade Assist" with BMW to replace my 2013 328 Luxury Line w/steering wheel vibration for a 5 series. I've owned a 550i and 535i previously and really had a hard time thinking that the N20 engine would be big enough for the 5 even though I have it in my new 3 series. You changed my mind as well as several other people commenting on this thread that the N20 can handle the 5. You talked me into splurging on the Multi-contour seats!!! So today (10/30/12) I ordered a 2013 528i White/Venetian Beige Dakota Leather, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, Heated front Multi-contour seats and Premium Hi-Fi Sound. Should be here in Florida mid-December - YAY!!!!

Just a side note: Once you have Comfort Access Keyless Entry, you'll NEVER, EVER want to go without - it is a MUST for me.

12/13/12 2013 528i Alpine White, Oyster/Black Dakota Leather, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, Premium Hi-Fi Sound, Heated front Multi-Contour seats

Just Ordered 2/27/13: 2013 328 Conv, Liquid Blue Metallic, Oyster/Black Dakota Leather, Conv Pkg, Premium Pkg, Prem Sound Pkg, Navigation Sys
To Replace our leased 2010 128 Conv, Sports Pkg

Previous BMW: 2013 328 "Trade Assist"
Previous BMW: 2009 328 Convertible
Previous BMW: 2008 535i
Previous BMW: 2007 550i
Old 10-31-2012, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
This is rubbish

There is no V4 as indicated in the review. All 4-cylinder engines are inline and there is nothing called a V-4
Old 10-31-2012, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDZumbaugh View Post
Thank you BlackGato for the review. I'm involved with a "Trade Assist" with BMW to replace my 2013 328 Luxury Line w/steering wheel vibration for a 5 series. I've owned a 550i and 535i previously and really had a hard time thinking that the N20 engine would be big enough for the 5 even though I have it in my new 3 series. You changed my mind as well as several other people commenting on this thread that the N20 can handle the 5. You talked me into splurging on the Multi-contour seats!!! So today (10/30/12) I ordered a 2013 528i White/Venetian Beige Dakota Leather, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, Heated front Multi-contour seats and Premium Hi-Fi Sound. Should be here in Florida mid-December - YAY!!!!

Just a side note: Once you have Comfort Access Keyless Entry, you'll NEVER, EVER want to go without - it is a MUST for me.
What is a trade assist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juney View Post
This is rubbish

There is no V4 as indicated in the review. All 4-cylinder engines are inline and there is nothing called a V-4
Probably just a simple mistake.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
What is a trade assist?
BMW's fancy name for lemon buy back.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
BMW's fancy name for lemon buy back.
Really? On a 2013 3 series, that is fast. I wonder if the poster can elaborate on the problem and number of times they took it in?
Old 10-31-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
Really? On a 2013 3 series, that is fast. I wonder if the poster can elaborate on the problem and number of times they took it in?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=#post7168240
Old 10-31-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Thanks X.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:58 AM

Great thread.....just got my 528 last week and love it. Sports mode and comfort mode really make it two different cars!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:49 AM

i have lost the number of times people have thanked this thread which helped them make an informed decision. including me.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:20 PM

Yes, it is a great thread. It definitely helped me. I am 4 months in and absolutely love my 528, especially when it is snowing.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:13 PM

Do you guys have the same opinion that the sports and comfort mode make it two different cars? I love it and find the sports mode really does give extra punch and a road feel.