Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-21-2012, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328xi
Does 2011 BMW 328xi have LOUD Engine Noise?

I bought 2011 328xi car in October, and have had the problem with the RPM jumping and the engine shaking bad. Recently, the dealership fixed it by changing the "vano solenoid". I just got the car back last Wednesday after it has been in the shop for the 3rd time over 7 days. It was the final repair from the dealership.

After I got the car back, I noted that the engine has been so loud, louder than my old Mazda 3. When I close the car doors and the car is at idle, I could hear the loud noise of the engine running.

Is this normal?
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2012, 02:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalinalu View Post
I bought 2011 328xi car in October, and have had the problem with the RPM jumping and the engine shaking bad. Recently, the dealership fixed it by changing the "vano solenoid". I just got the car back last Wednesday after it has been in the shop for the 3rd time over 7 days. It was the final repair from the dealership.

After I got the car back, I noted that the engine has been so loud, louder than my old Mazda 3. When I close the car doors and the car is at idle, I could hear the loud noise of the engine running.

Is this normal?
No....which dealer is this?
Old 02-22-2012, 06:16 AM

Unhappy Headache......

It is Herb Chambers in Boston. This morning, I drove in to drop the car in for them to confirm 2 items (a) the loud engine noise, and (b) the brake. It is very weird that when I brake regardless from a high speed to full stop or from a slow speed to a full stop, the car feels that it hesitated a bit before fully stopping. I could feel the car's engine accelerated or the car skid little tiny bit and then stopped. When sitting in the car, I could feel it forward and back, not smooth at all. In addition, on my way driving there, similiar symptom happened again. This time, the RPM did not jump as fast; however, the engine shook and same exact noise of engine was made. Luckily, I have my camera video on.

I brought my car in and told the lead technician of all of above items. He then took a ride with me. He could feel the brake problem; however, it claimed that it is normal as the car needed to shift the gear. I am not sure about and don't trust his opinion as he was the one who told me that it has nothing to do with the vano solenoid on my car when I brought it in last time, but then I am not an expert. In addition, he said that the car's engine noise is normal, and unless I could prove the same symptom happened where the engine shakes again when he is in the car, he deemed that the car is functioning normal. He refused to take or see any video that I have.

At first, I was thinking that I may be overly concerned with the engine noise. But after the incident happened this morning, I am sure that there is still something wrong with the car.....

What should I do?
Old 02-22-2012, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 320i Xdrive
my xi is quiet...................try another dealer...and call BMW USA.................be persistent........................
Old 02-22-2012, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 320i Xdrive
http://www.bmwpeabody.com/service/index.htm BMW Peabody..............try them
Old 02-22-2012, 07:37 AM
jertronic

Mein Auto: 2008 328 xi sedan
The dealership of which you write tends to miss things. The service department bangs out 100 vehicles per day. You've seen the footprint on which they operate and the inadequate quality that ensues. Jim is the SA that you want to be with. I have happily moved on to a quality independent shop post warranty and could not be happier. Good luck and be persistent as stated above.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick64 View Post
my xi is quiet...................try another dealer...and call bmw usa.................be persistent........................
+1
Old 02-22-2012, 07:12 PM

Angry

Thank you for the information. I didn't know the quality of that shop would be inadequate. This information is very helpful.

The lead technician that I dealt with is Rodrigez. He insisted that my car is running normal, and nothing is wrong with it. One of the good things that he did this morning was to set signal light and automatic door lock, and also removed the carpet that I have in the car. I originally have the winter matt on top of the original carpet matts that came with the car. The lead technician told that it would affect the car's performance because it may put weight on the car's something (which I forgot the term).

Trust me, I have been very persistent. Since I experienced with this problem for the car, I have been dealing with Executive Customer Relation Representative today at BMW USA. HONESTLY, I HAVE NOT COMPLETELY SEEN THE GREAT QUALITY OF BMW USA's Customer Relations at all. In fact, it has been very frustrating. It is quite disappointing

Today, I called and informed her about the scenario. She told me that she supported the lead technician's opinion. She said that she will submit my claim for obtaining another car to the Market Team for approval; however, based on her experience, she does NOT foresee that it will get approved. She also mentioned that if I want a refund on my car, I would have to go back to the dealer for it, as the dealer bought the cars from BMW to sell. Is it true?

This is so frustrating, as I have never thought that I would use such a big amount of money to buy/ get me into pain, frustration, inconvenience, and wasting time...!! Sad...!!

I am planning to take my car to another dealership, and also looking into filing for arbitration. Therefore, any suggestions are welcomed....!!!
Old 02-23-2012, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: '11 328xi, '09 550i
Not normal. Our 328i X-drive is very quiet, and buttery smooth. Try the next closest dealer to see what they have to say about it.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:55 AM

Mein Auto: '11 328i xDrive, '11 X3
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have no issues with mine. Have you driven a different '11 328xi in order to do a comparison?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalinalu View Post

Since I experienced with this problem for the car, I have been dealing with Executive Customer Relation Representative today at BMW USA. HONESTLY, I HAVE NOT COMPLETELY SEEN THE GREAT QUALITY OF BMW USA's Customer Relations at all. In fact, it has been very frustrating. It is quite disappointing
Y'know, machines are very predictable - it's people we have problems with.

Try a diff dealer, but if BMWNA's now on this, they may direct a diff dealer to respond in a certain way.

If frustration's mounting, you might pay a well respected Indy to diagnose. Hey, if you can prove your case, they'll have to pay for him as part of a warranty claim - naturally, you should be able to show that BMW has repeatedly declined to fix you vehicle under warranty.

What are the lemon laws in your state?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:49 AM

Advices Needed...BMW - Peabody....Lemon Law Filing!!!

I already talked to the Executive Customer Relations at BMW USA about it, and they refused to do anything, including replacing me another car. They deem that my car is in a perfect condition. I have been recorded the car from starting the car in the morning, during the day, and at night. The engine is loud with an echo of engine noise that I could hear inside my car with the doors closed. When I talked to the Executive Customer Relations Rep., they said that I am more than welcomed to try another dealer to get it looked and possibly fixed. I was very disappointing at the quality of service. The Executive Customer Relations Rep. also told me that I won't have a case for filing for lemon law car, which I am quite surprised about it. They are completely shutting me down and just completely relied on the Service Shop at Herb Chambers.

Over the past few days, I reviewed the lemon law, and need to gather a few things. I have a few questions looking for advices.

1. I took the advice to take to another dealer, BMW Peabody. They have two services shop there (one on 114 Andover, and the other on Centenial Drive). Which shop is better to go for expert advices?

2. I need to get well respected Indy to look at my car, as I am not an expert, and I want to confirm that I am overly sensitive to the engine noise, the unsmooth shift of the gear while driving, and the braking (i.e., the car's engine seems to accelerate before it goes into full stop, as I could hear the engine doing so). Any advice for a well respected Indy in Massachussetts area?

3. I also need to find a well-respected and good Car Appraiser in Mass area. Any advice?

Thanks a million in advance...!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 05:56 AM

Everyday, when I drive my car, I feel that I am driving a 20 years-old BMW, even though it is 2011 car...!!!

The lemon law in my State covers within 18 months from purchase date or 15,000 miles, need to prove that the defects does at least one of the following:

1. use - significantly interferes with the use of vehicle, or
2. market value - reduces current value of the vehicle by at least 10%, or
3. safety - creates, or has potential to create, a substantial danger to occupants, other or to property

with 3 times repairs and confirmation of final attempt to fix the problem.

Website
http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/consumer/a...lemon-law.html
Old 04-27-2012, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i Sports Wagon
For BMW Peabody, I'd use either shop. They're both under the same management. The one on Centennial Drive is open on Saturdays; the one on Andover Street is not.

2010 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (April 2009): Deep Sea Blue / Cream Beige / Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages
2011 335i xDrive Coupe (April 2011, European Delivery): Le Mans Blue / Oyster-Black / M Sport, Premium, Convenience Packages
Old 04-27-2012, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
kalinalu, the BMW rep is right, you do not qualify for the massachusetts lemon law as your problem either render the car unoperational nor is it a safety issue. You need to ask the dealer to let you drive another 3 series and determine if it behaves the same. As far as the noisy engine after the vano solenoid replacement, my guess is that Herb Chamber service did something wrong. I would talk to their service manager about it file a complaint with BMW USA.
Herb Chamber Boston's service department is one of worst in Massachusetts. They deal with such volume that tend to rush everything. The techs there are not as knowlegable as they should be nor do they care about customer satifaction.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
The E90 3 series does have loud engine whine at idle, especially when it is cold, it also uses engine braking (especially in the DS sport mode) so there is slight engine surge before a full stop, the steering is also much tighter than other brands, both the steering wheel and the suspension allow the driver to feel the bumps on the road more...

All of the above make for a fun sporty driving experience. Many drivers of other brands complained because they were used to driving cars that padded and insulated the drivers from the cars and the road.

The good news is, the new F30 3 series has cured many of the above issues, so the Lexus and MB drivers can feel right at home now.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Loud and it does shake on cold start, especially on cold mornings. I've brought it to the dealer 3 times, during the last visit the alternator was replaced. I also hear a high-pitched buzzing sound when turning off the engine, which apparently is the electric water pump. All kinds of "weirdness" going on but I've gotten used to it all...
Old 04-28-2012, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: E92 M3/E90 335i xDrive
Our 328i xDrive is quiet.