Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 05-20-2014, 12:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 530i (Auto)
Blower Motor or FSR Replacement - Caution

Anyone with an E38 that decides to tackle this job. Be careful with this walk through:
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/45351

It is not a complete step by step and obviously isn't model specific because it was on a 95':
- There are other trim screws missing, including dropping the glove box off the air springs down to the floor.
- The plastic screws that mount the upper dash to the leather steering wheel cover require you to drop the lower dash as well and have a long Phillips to reach them.
- It doesnt cover A-pillar air bags which you should really remove or risk damaging them (suggest having 2 people do it if you decide to keep the air bags in).
- The headlamp and fog lamp plugs are a PITA to get off and you risk damaging them in the process with brute force (bend slightly to the right then pull, not to much or you snap the plastic plug).
- Not only do you have to remove the air bag but you also have to remove at least the right bracket the air bag mounts to (10 mm for the air bag and the bracket)
- BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR Nuts/Bolts/Screws. If you drop one, chances are you may never get it again without removing the center console and center dash trim near the floor boards :(Yes I did this, that nut and that plastic nut will be there forever as it stands)

If you are mechanically inclined this shouldn't be to difficult of a process, just time consuming and tedious. Taking everything apart by myself, moving slowly, took about 3 hours. Took a break to write this post and heading back out to replace the FSR, plug the dash cluster back in, plug the airbag back in and start her up, see if the blower motor issue is resolved. Wish me luck!
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2014, 03:28 PM

Update: The Blower is running like a champ although I suspect I will be going through this process all over again to replace the blower motor itself. It did not turn as freely as I thought when I had it out to replace the FSR and at low speeds it makes a noise.

I decided to do a full systems check to make sure it operated like it should. I did this in my driveway and then also on the interestate to see the difference in recirculate vs. fresh air operations. The AC works flawlessly in all modes. I didnt have a good opportunity to check the heating functions when I bought this car 2 weeks ago. So, I turned on the heat. The defrost and floor and rear passenger vents blow hot air. The center console and driver/passenger side vents all blow luke warm air. Yes I checked the center dial and made sure it was on heat. When that dial is set to hot, the air is luke warm, when its set to cold the air is pretty cool, again this all with the heat on (manual or auto).

I dont remember this wire http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/t...emoval%208.JPG coming from that center console dial when I took the dash apart. Im guessing it was one of the plugs i had removed in the process. (link in original post).

Questions are:
1.) Are the center and outside vents blowing cool air because of a valve issue with the heater core?
2.) Did I forget an important step in removing/re installing the dash that pertains to that center temperature control wheel?
3.) Is this reduced heat in the vents a function of the fresh air system?
Old 05-21-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBimmerCpl View Post
Update: The Blower is running like a champ although I suspect I will be going through this process all over again to replace the blower motor itself. It did not turn as freely as I thought when I had it out to replace the FSR and at low speeds it makes a noise.

I decided to do a full systems check to make sure it operated like it should. I did this in my driveway and then also on the interestate to see the difference in recirculate vs. fresh air operations. The AC works flawlessly in all modes. I didnt have a good opportunity to check the heating functions when I bought this car 2 weeks ago. So, I turned on the heat. The defrost and floor and rear passenger vents blow hot air. The center console and driver/passenger side vents all blow luke warm air. Yes I checked the center dial and made sure it was on heat. When that dial is set to hot, the air is luke warm, when its set to cold the air is pretty cool, again this all with the heat on (manual or auto).

I dont remember this wire http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/t...emoval%208.JPG coming from that center console dial when I took the dash apart. Im guessing it was one of the plugs i had removed in the process. (link in original post).

Questions are:
1.) Are the center and outside vents blowing cool air because of a valve issue with the heater core?
2.) Did I forget an important step in removing/re installing the dash that pertains to that center temperature control wheel?
3.) Is this reduced heat in the vents a function of the fresh air system?
OKAY, so I answered my own question The center vents do NOT blow hot air, ever, only slightly warm air. BMWBob's posts, 2 of them, the second one quite colorful. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...air-from-vents
Old 05-24-2014, 03:25 PM

Wouldn't you know it, I replace the FSR and the blower motor goes after a week of usage.

Let this be yet another caution, if you replace the FSR and you either dont know the blower motor has been replaced or it hasn't been replaced in quite a few years, just replace it.

Now I have to take the dash out again, get down to the motor and replace it.

I hope running that new FSR on a bad motor didnt toast it also.

Someone play the worlds smallest violin for me please...