Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 02-23-2012, 08:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 128i convertible
RVD's 750i AH ED Report 2/27/2012

Take off! Today is day 1 of my 10 day ED trip. I packed last night, loaded up the car, and got a ride from my wife this morning to the airport. My journey starts today! I am flying out of LAX today (2/23) and will eventually end up in Amsterdam sometime on 2/24. My first flight is to Chicago where I have a few hours to kill before heading over to London. I have about 5 hours in London and then it's Amsterdam! My itinerary is as follows:

2/23 - Fly LAX-ORD, ORD-LHR
2/24 - Fly LHR-AMS. 2 nights in AMS.
2/26 - Train from Amsterdam to Munich. 2 nights in Munich.
2/28 - Drive the new car from MUC to Prague. 2 nights in Prague.
3/1 - Drive to Hamburg. Drop off car in Hamburg. 1 night in Hamburg.
3/2 - Train from Hamburg to Berlin. 1 night in Berlin.
3/3 - Fly TXL-MAD. 1 night in Madrid.
3/4 - Fly MAD-MIA, MIA-LAX

Yes, it's a bit of a whirlwind trip but since I'm traveling alone, I like to move a lot.

In the spirit of dencoop's videos, I will be taking some video as well as pictures.

2012 750i AH - Imperial Blue, Oyster and Black Nappa, Driver Assist Package, Sirius. ED: 2/27/2012 Dropped Off: 3/1/2012 Ready for Pick Up: 4/13/2012, Actual Pick Up: 4/16/2012

2009 BMW 128i Convertible

RIP
2008 Chrysler Town & Country
2006 BMW 750Li
1987 BMW 325
2006 Toyota Sequoia 4WD
2003 Mercedes Benz E320
1996 Ford Explorer XLT

Last edited by RVD; 02-25-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Advertisement
Old 02-23-2012, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 3er
Have a great trip! I'm a big fan of the one or two nights in each city plan. PM me if you want any Berlin advice, I just moved back from there in December.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: Mercedes
Can't wait, I ordered the same color!

750i ActiveHybrid - 3/12/2012 ED, 5/10/2012 PCD - Imperial Blue Metallic, Saddle and Black Nappa, Driver Assist, Luxury Seating, Ceramic Controls, Shadowline Exterior, Apps, Sirius
Old 02-23-2012, 09:29 AM

Thanks. I'm uploading a video right now but it's taking forever in the Admiral Club lounge at LAX. Their internet connection seems ok for email and stuff but not for uploading big video files.

T-1 hour for my flight to Chicago.

Update: In Chicago now and still trying to upload the video file. It's only 5 minutes but it's HD and about 1gb in size. Maybe I'll downsize it.

T-1 hour for my flight to London.

2012 750i AH - Imperial Blue, Oyster and Black Nappa, Driver Assist Package, Sirius. ED: 2/27/2012 Dropped Off: 3/1/2012 Ready for Pick Up: 4/13/2012, Actual Pick Up: 4/16/2012

RIP
2006 BMW 750Li
1987 BMW 325
2006 Toyota Sequoia 4WD
2003 Mercedes Benz E320
1996 Ford Explorer XLT

Last edited by RVD; 02-23-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:14 PM

Day -1

This was the night before the trip. I am always a last minute packer although I do like to write up lists of what to bring so that I don't forget. With international travel there are always a lot of loose ends and inevitably I end up forgetting something anyway.

This trip I had 2 things that I wanted to bring that were a little unordinary. The first was a electrical transformer. This is one of those big boxes that you plug into a 220v socket and it has 110v sockets that you can plug things into. This isn't for me but for one of my best friends who lives in Paris. He stopped by at my house so he had one of these sent to me and he was going to take it with him when we met. Well, unfortunately it shipped late so when he came over it wasn't here and it arrived a few days later. I won't be in Paris this trip but I offered to bring it to Amsterdam where he has friends so I can drop it off here. It is about 30 pounds in weight so it's freaking heavy!

The second item is a Xootr scooter. It's basically an adult kick scooter. I like these things and it helps me get around at around 3X the speed of walking. It's also decent exercise. I also have a couple of folding bikes and was tempted to try to bring the Brompton but decided on the xootr instead for better portability.

The standard red carry on type suitcase contains the transformer. The black duffel bag type contains the xootr. My clothing and chargers are stuff like that are packed with the xootr. I will check in both of these bags.

I am also going to hand carry my backpack containing my laptop and stuff like that as well as a small camera bag with my camera. I am also a fairly avid photographer.

RIP
2006 BMW 750Li
1987 BMW 325
2006 Toyota Sequoia 4WD
2003 Mercedes Benz E320
1996 Ford Explorer XLT

Last edited by RVD; 02-24-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:31 PM
?

Mein Auto: 2013 740i
I don't see anything in your YouTube video.

2013 740i (looking to transfer my lease)
2012 528i (ED March 2012)

Past:
2011 X5d
2008 550i
2006 530i (ED Oct 2005)
2003 530i (ED Oct 2002)
1999 328i

Old 02-23-2012, 06:41 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: F80 and F01
Quote:

In the spirit of dencoop's videos, I will be taking some video as well as pictures.

Congrats on your Ultimate Driving Machine !!!! Now that you have seen how its done

Let's see them videos and keep them coming

On Order:15 Ferrari Cali T
Current:15 M3,15 F01
Previous:15 M4'14 Quotroporte V8tt'14 F33 EB2,14 Ferrari Cali,14 F15 N63tu,13 991 C4S Cab,14 F15 N63tu,11 W212W4d,13 Chrysler T&C,13 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park,13 F12,13 W212W4,12 E70d,12 F01 hybrid,12 MDX, '11 LS3 Camaro Cab,12 E70d,11 E89,11 GLK350,11 E70,11 C300,10 MDX,09 E93, 09 Civic,07 E70,06 E90,05CR-V SE,04Accord EXLV6, 01Accord EXLV6,00 Maxima,93 E190,91Accord,88Accord,86Accord
Old 02-24-2012, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots View Post
I don't see anything in your YouTube video.
Ok I posted it from chicago as I left so I couldn't verify it. I am in london on my cell phone now so I will check in a few hours when I get back to the airport and get into the lounge.

RIP
2006 BMW 750Li
1987 BMW 325
2006 Toyota Sequoia 4WD
2003 Mercedes Benz E320
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
Old 02-25-2012, 12:22 AM

Day 1 - LAX-LHR

Day 1 2/23 - LAX to LHR

Day 1 is a travel day. I am flying from Los Angeles to Chicago where I have a 3 hour layover and then to London. In London I have a 5 hour layover before I fly to Amsterdam. It is Thursday morning 2/23 and I take off from LAX at 9:30. I always like to arrive early (I just don't like to have to rush things and run around the airport last minute to catch a flight, etc.) so I got up at 6am and left the house at 6:15.

My wife gave me a ride and with no traffic, I got to the airport at 6:30. 3 hours in advance.

There was one old couple checking in in front of me and they were asking the check in lady every question known to man so it did take about 15 minutes standing behind them. But this is why I arrive early right? No stress...

Check in lady checked me in. In conversation she asked if I was on the 8:10 flight to chicago and I told her no, 9:30. She commended me on being there early as well.

I am flying American.

This is also my first time flying first class so please excuse some of the random excitement that comes from that. I fly economy most of the time and have splurged a few times for business class but I used some more miles this time to get tickets in first class going to Europe and business class coming back. I am also spending some time at the various lounges at the airport while waiting for my flight.

I am also a bit of a foodie so I tend to take lots of pictures of food.

Hardware used:
Video: Pentax Optio W80 point and shoot camera. I'm a bit camera shy so you won't see me in many pictures and video. I also have a flip mino but couldn't find it so I'm using this camera. It's a piece of junk but it's waterproof so I usually take it on beach vacations, etc. It will have to do for this trip since my other camera (below) doesn't do video.

Camera: Canon 1Ds Mark II w/ Canon 17-40L lens. I also brought a 50mm 1.4. Pictures shot in RAW and edited in Aperture for post processing.

Video #1: Right after checking in at LAX. Going to the Admiral Club lounge.

Video/Pics #2: In the Admiral Club Lounge in LA eating a slight breakfast waiting for my flight.

Pics: Airplane LAX-ORD

Lunch - salad or chicken parmesan?

Video #3: Going to the lounge in Chicago

Video #4: In the Admiral Club Lounge in Chicago

Video #5: In the Admiral Club Lounge in Chicago - overview of the food

Video #6: Walking over to my plane

Video #7: On the plane ORD-LHR

Video #8: At my seat

Tomorrow (day 2) is London for a few hours and then on to Amsterdam. The journey has started!

RIP
2006 BMW 750Li
1987 BMW 325
2006 Toyota Sequoia 4WD
2003 Mercedes Benz E320
1996 Ford Explorer XLT

Last edited by RVD; 02-28-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:41 AM

Day 2 - LHR-AMS

Day 2 is London to Amsterdam.

I landed in London at roughly 7:30am. My flight from London to Amsterdam was at 1:40pm so I had a good 6 hour layover. I figured that by the time I got through passport control and into the city, it would be around 10am. A good 1-2 hours in the city and that would be a nice respite from the confines of the airport.

Well, I was able to get through passport control pretty fast. American Airlines had a special priority line for first class passengers so I was able to bypass the regular long line. The security officer asked me where I was staying in London and I told him that I just had a layover so I would be back at the airport in a few hours.

Just by chance the guy at another station next to him was doing the exact same thing as me (on my AMS flight too) so the security officer asked if I was traveling alone. I told him yes and he was a bit suspicious asking if I knew the other guy. I told him I didn't. I'm not sure if he believed me but he let me through. I have no idea who that guy was and I didn't even see him on my AMS flight.

London is still expensive as always. Yes, the exchange rate is better now (the last time I was in London it was over $2 per 1 GBP). I bought a round trip train ticket on the Heathrow Express for 34 GBP which takes you from LHR to Paddington station is about 20 minutes (the ads say 15 minutes). I then took the tube to Westminster. I also brought my old London currency but it turns out that they updated the 20 GBP note so most of my notes had to be changed. I was able to change them at the exchange counter for free.

Westminster station is my favorite area in London because you can see the London Eye, Parliament, Big Ben, and the River Thames all from the same location. I took a few pictures and then got back on the tube to Victoria Station.

I walked from Victoria station to Buckingham Palace. The walk turned out to be further than I thought. In retrospect I probably should have just walked there through St. James's Park from Westminster and the timing would have been similar.

After Buckingham Palace I went back to Paddington station, got back on the Heathrow Express and made it back to LHR at noon.

I was prepared for a cold Europe so I had my big winter coat + pullover sweater. I run hot anyway so this was way more than my body could bare. I was a sweating mess almost everywhere I went. I took off my sweater early on and threw it in my backpack but my coat was enough to leave me dripping in sweat most of the time. I took it off and only wore my t-shirt around to get cooled off a lot.

By the time I arrived back at LHR, I had an hour and a half before my flight. I took the opportunity to take a shower at the British Airways lounge. This was a great shower after all that sweat. The only problem is that I didn't have a change of clothing. On future trips I will be sure to bring an extra t-shirt, etc. for the shower en route.

I didn't get a room at yotel (http://www.yotel.com) but in the future I might do that if I'm flying economy (so no access to free showers).

My flight boarded and left on time with no surprises. The flight was pretty short (maybe about an hour?) and included a meal so the flight attendants were busy.

I arrived into AMS and took the train from the airport to the central train station (Amsterdam Centraal). I then took a tram from the train station to my hotel.

I used to travel a bit so I worked myself up to SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest) Platinum status. However, I stopped traveling last year so my platinum status expires on 2/29/2012. With platinum status, I generally get free room upgrades, free internet, free bottle of water per day, sometimes free breakfast, etc.

I am staying at the Hotel Pulitzer in Amsterdam. It's a nice hotel in a fairly central area overlooking one of the canals. It's made up of 25 old canal homes so the inside is a bit confusing with lots of turns and corridors, etc.

I got upgraded to a larger room. It's still not "large" but it's about on par with a decent room in the US and plenty of space for me.

Cheapskate tip of the day: If you are staying at nice hotel and want some water but don't want to pay for water in the minibar and can't find a local supermarket, try heading over to the gym. They usually have free water there. They almost always have at least a cooler where you can fill up water bottles, etc. but many times they have a small fridge stocked with water bottles.

I checked into my room at 5:30. I was dead tired. It had been almost 24 hours since I woke up in LA and during that time, I had 1 hour of sleep on the flight from LAX-ORD and 1 hour of sleep from LHR-AMS. On ORD-LHR I had that great first class seat with a full bed (they put cushions on for you and make it into a flat bed) but I was just not tired enough to fall asleep.

I was ready to crash in my hotel room. However, I had a dinner reservation set up at 7:30 so I just unpacked, got my Xootr, etc. and took the opportunity to relax a bit.

At 7:10, I left for my dinner reservation. According to google maps, it was about 1.6km away. I could walk it in about 20 minutes. I was debating back and forth on whether to take the xootr. It's dark out (xootr isn't good if you can't see the asphalt...big wedge in the cement and you can fall easily), it's a bit wet (xootr is bad in rain and wet ground), and I don't know my way around.

I decided to take the Xootr and go slowly...it would still be faster than walking.

I got lost trying to find the place but because I had the xootr I was able to quickly go back and forth on streets, etc. I got to the restaurant at 7:35. There is no doubt that I would have arrived past 8pm if I had just walked.

In Amsterdam, Indonesian food is pretty good. In particular, there is a type of dining called "rijsttafel" which translates to "rice table" and is basically like a tasting menu of numerous Indonesian dishes. I wanted to try this but most restaurants will only allow you to order this with 2 or more people. As you can imagine, it takes a lot of work to create many small dishes and it's just not worth the hassle for 1 person.

But this restaurant (Srikandi - http://www.srikandi.nl/) was nice enough to accommodate me. I made the reservation online via email from their website and they got back to me the next day.

The food was amazingly good. I tried everything but couldn't finish everything. I was also very tired. The scootering around didn't help but did build up my appetite so that was good.

I have been to Indonesia once but it was many years ago. In fact, it was over 20 years ago back in 1990 when I was still in High School (my Senior year). Interesting tidbit, I went to Jakarta with a small group of about 10 students including Ken Jennings (the guy from Jeopardy!). I even took my Achievement tests (SAT II in today's lingo) there at Jakarta International School. The owner of the restaurant was a pleasant man who was nice and easy to talk to. When I told him that I've been to Indonesia he initially assumed Bali since I guess most people tend to go to the resort there. He also loved my xootr.

I rode back on the xootr and since I knew where I was only, it only took me about 10 minutes.

Videos/Pics

London:

I think these "look right" and "look left" writings on the ground have saved my life a few times in London.

Statue of Winston Churchill back there

Home of the Queen

Mind the Gap!

British Airways Lounge:

Shower room at the Elemis Spa at the British Airways lounge

My room at the Hotel Pulitzer in Amsterdam

Dinner at Srikandi. The pint is the "large bier"

Chicken soup appetizer

Appetizer

Rijsttafel

Day 3 will be in Amsterdam. I plan to go to the museums. I will start with the Anne Frank museum, then head over to my friend's friend's place to drop off that transformer, then go to the national museum and the Van Gogh museum. After that I'll probably do some more random sightseeing but nothing really planned.

Sorry for the non-BMW stuff. The BMW stuff will be coming tomorrow since I'll be going to Munich and the Welt stuff will be the day after. It'll be here soon...I swear!

RIP
2006 BMW 750Li
1987 BMW 325
2006 Toyota Sequoia 4WD
2003 Mercedes Benz E320
1996 Ford Explorer XLT

Last edited by RVD; 02-28-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:24 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: F80 and F01
Awesome report so far!!

BTW - Nice Camera - I am upgrading myself this year from a 50D to a 5D mark 3/X or the 1Dx.

On Order:15 Ferrari Cali T
Current:15 M3,15 F01
Previous:15 M4'14 Quotroporte V8tt'14 F33 EB2,14 Ferrari Cali,14 F15 N63tu,13 991 C4S Cab,14 F15 N63tu,11 W212W4d,13 Chrysler T&C,13 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park,13 F12,13 W212W4,12 E70d,12 F01 hybrid,12 MDX, '11 LS3 Camaro Cab,12 E70d,11 E89,11 GLK350,11 E70,11 C300,10 MDX,09 E93, 09 Civic,07 E70,06 E90,05CR-V SE,04Accord EXLV6, 01Accord EXLV6,00 Maxima,93 E190,91Accord,88Accord,86Accord
Old 02-25-2012, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dencoop View Post
Awesome report so far!!

+1! Great report and pics!
Waiting for D-day pictures.

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT
Old 02-25-2012, 12:32 PM

yeah i can't wait for d-day either. this precursor to d-day is taking too long...

RIP
2006 BMW 750Li
1987 BMW 325
2006 Toyota Sequoia 4WD
2003 Mercedes Benz E320
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
Old 02-25-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
yeah i can't wait for d-day either. this precursor to d-day is taking too long...
This only first part of ED, second part start after you drop of your car....
I would like to compliment you on your pictures, specially with food.

Last edited by MB330; 02-25-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:00 PM

thanks for the compliment on the pictures.

this is my first ED and i like it. i like this mix of being on vacation + doing something useful (picking up the car) + enjoying the car.

i'm also hitting most cities that i have never experienced so that makes this trip especially interesting to me.

RIP
2006 BMW 750Li
1987 BMW 325
2006 Toyota Sequoia 4WD
2003 Mercedes Benz E320
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
Old 02-25-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
thanks for the compliment on the pictures.

this is my first ED and i like it. i like this mix of being on vacation + doing something useful (picking up the car) + enjoying the car.

i'm also hitting most cities that i have never experienced so that makes this trip especially interesting to me.
First weekend after we get back from Europe, I pool my laptop and we starting planning next ED. Every time I read someone good review about hotel or restaurant - I saved in my ED folder.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:51 PM

Day 3 - Amsterdam

Day 3 - Amsterdam

Today was a full day in Amsterdam. When I travel alone, I am pretty good at packing in a lot of sightseeing into one day. It can get tiring though because I am usually on the move from morning to night.

At 9pm the previous night (after that big Indonesian dinner), I was dead tired so I went to bed. I woke up a few times during the night but overall had a nice sleep. There is this church nearby that rings it's bell every hour even through the night. The church also play various music throughout the hour at seemingly random times, etc. I woke up at 4am this morning well refreshed.

I spent a few hours from 4am-7am working on yesterday's pictures and writing up the post for Day 2. At 7am, I went down to the hotel for breakfast. I had a big hearty breakfast including lots of random stuff like toast, omelet, pancakes, fruit, etc. If anyone is in Amsterdam and is thinking of staying at the Hotel Pulitzer, I highly recommend it as well as their breakfast buffet in the restaurant downstairs.

I heard that the lines for the various sites can get very long due to tourists. It seemed like everywhere I went it was all tourists. I kept hearing a lot of English everywhere. But because it's winter, the lines weren't too bad. I would say that at the places that I went to, although it was pretty crowded inside, the lines were never more than about 10 minutes or so.

My hotel is near the Anne Frank House and I knew that was a must see. I bought tickets online about a month ago so that I could bypass the line. My tickets were for 9:30am so I walked over there and checked it out from 9:30-10:30. It turns out that I didn't really need to pay for the early ticket (and pay the associate fees with it) since the line was only about 15 people or so when I got there. I read about 1/2 of the diary and watched a few movies and documentaries prior to this trip so I had a good understanding of the house and their secret annex but it was still really cool to see it all. Very sobering. They did not allow pictures or video so I didn't take any.

I came back to the hotel and took that big power transformer, barely got it to fit in my backpack, and rode my kick scooter (xootr) over to my friend's friend's place to drop it off. I left at 11am and got to her place at 11:30. I figured it would be my workout of the day carrying that heavy thing on my back so no gym time today.

After that I went to the rijksmuseum, the national museum of Amsterdam. I'm not a big art guy so I don't really spend hours and hours in museums. I walked through every room and saw a bunch of Rembrants, etc. I spent about an hour in the museum. I took a few pictures here and there was masterpieces as well as stuff that I found interesting. There was an interesting human powered clock.

I then walked over to the Van Gogh museum and checked out his stuff including his famous stuff like his self portrait, his bedroom, etc. They did not allow pictures or video so I didn't take any.

I rode my xootr back to the hotel for a short break. This is another reason why I like to get a hotel room fairly central. I enjoy popping in and out for short 15 minute breaks every now and then to recharge, relax, etc.

I then went down to the Dam, the main square in Amsterdam. Every European city has one and they are all somewhat similar. You have characters walking around, lots of tourists milling around, food and souvenir stands, etc. I scootered over there but got a little lost. But it was all good because I found it a few minutes later.

I walked over to the Spui square which was smaller but had some nice cafes, etc.

From there I took a look at the infamous side of Amsterdam.

I started with a stroll of the red light district. It was around 4pm and I wanted to go when it was still bright out. My guidebook said that the area can get a bit sketchy at night so I wanted to avoid it at that time. It was an interesting site with lots of tourists walking around. I even saw some kids with families as well. I guess they allow that too. I would guess that 99% of the people walking around where tourists and almost all of us were just walking through. I guess I did see a few people here and there partake in the activities (but no, not me...).

There were the infamous coffeeshops as well. There was a smell of pot here and there as you just walked around the city. Usually if you smelled it, it meant there was a coffeeshop nearby. I walked over to Dampkring, probably one of the most famous ones because it was in Oceans 12. One street over from Dampkring was Vleminckx Sausmeesters, one of the most famous fries sold in Amsterdam.

I didn't eat all day after that big breakfast and it was around 5pm and starting to get dark so I had some fries with mayo. It was good cheap eats. They did drench the mayo on a little too heavy and I didn't have a fork to eat so it got a little messy. I ate about 2/3 of it and eventually just threw out the rest. It was only 2.70 euro for the fries at .60 for the mayo so 3.30 euro total.

I went back to the hotel for more rest and then went over to the Pancake Bakery for dinner. Since IHOP tells me that I can eat pancakes for dinner, that's what I did. These dutch pancakes were more like crepes but they were quite delicious.

I came back for another early night and crashed at 9pm.

I realize that the videos may be a bit much so feel free to skip them and just view the pictures.

The full picture album is here: http://www.danpaik.com/Travel/Europe/Europe-2012

Day 4 is a travel day as I take the train from Amsterdam to Munich. I am staying at the 4 points in Olympiapark and after a good night's rest I pick up the car on day 5 (2/27)!

Some pics/video:

Anne Frank House:

Looks like resistance is futile:

Rijksmuseum:

A rather interesting human powered clock:

Some masterpieces:

Milkmaid (Vermeer)

The Night Watch (Rembrandt)

The Merry Family (Steen)

Museumplein:

Van Gogh Museum:

My Xootr:

Riding my Xootr:

This is a video of me riding my xootr from the Rijksmuseum to my hotel. According to Google Maps this is a 3.0km ride and it should take about 7 minutes by car, 13 minutes by tram (not including waiting time), and 22 minutes walking. I rode at a safe pace with lots of stopping here and there and made it in about 9 minutes. Sorry that my scarf was getting in the way blocking the picture sometimes.

Riding from my hotel to the Dam. I kind of got lost in the end but ended up at the Dam anyway after I stopped recording.

Dam:

Eating some fries:

Church bells / music (this goes on every hour + i think every half hour...seems like it's always ringing):

Pancakes for dinner (Pancake Bakery)

Rather typical canal scene:

RIP
2006 BMW 750Li
1987 BMW 325
2006 Toyota Sequoia 4WD
2003 Mercedes Benz E320
1996 Ford Explorer XLT

Last edited by RVD; 02-28-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB330 View Post
First weekend after we get back from Europe, I pool my laptop and we starting planning next ED. Every time I read someone good review about hotel or restaurant - I saved in my ED folder.
I think I may head out again next year actually. My lease on our 128i runs out on Jan 2013. I'm trying to think about whether I would want to go at this time (Feb/March) or summer. Weather is obviously better in the summer but it could be too hot and it could be too crowded. I kind of like it now when there are no crowds.

Maybe I'll do something like April next year and save some money by riding my bike again for a few months.

Fyi, that's what I did this year until we get this new car. Our last car lease ran out in July so my wife and I have been sharing 1 car. I generally ride my bike around most of the time although commuting to work has been a bit of a pain (16 miles each way).

So I was in the market of looking for a new car when I saw the posting here for the 750i AH and my wife wanted to get it and stop this sharing 1 car situation...

Anyway, maybe I'll bring the family next year.

RIP
2006 BMW 750Li
1987 BMW 325
2006 Toyota Sequoia 4WD
2003 Mercedes Benz E320
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
Old 02-25-2012, 11:25 PM
?

Very nice photos! But I'd love to see them in bigger size though.

Past:
2011 X5d
2008 550i
2006 530i (ED Oct 2005)
2003 530i (ED Oct 2002)
1999 328i

Old 02-25-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots View Post
Very nice photos! But I'd love to see them in bigger size though.
The full sized pictures are pretty big and would massacre someone on a slow connection, cell phone, etc.

You can view them however here (including the full size downloads): http://www.danpaik.com/Travel/Europe/Europe-2012

Or to see a slide show:http://www.danpaik.com/photos/swfpop...lbumKey=KJHBjM

Enjoy.

RIP
2006 BMW 750Li
1987 BMW 325
2006 Toyota Sequoia 4WD
2003 Mercedes Benz E320
1996 Ford Explorer XLT

Last edited by RVD; 02-25-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:22 AM
?

Quote:
The full sized pictures are pretty big and would massacre someone on a slow connection, cell phone, etc.

You can view them however here (including the full size downloads): http://www.danpaik.com/Travel/Europe/Europe-2012

Or to see a slide show:http://www.danpaik.com/photos/swfpop...lbumKey=KJHBjM

Enjoy.
Cool, thanks! Your rijstaffel photos are making me hungry I had very good Indonesian food too when I was in Amsterdam.

Past:
2011 X5d
2008 550i
2006 530i (ED Oct 2005)
2003 530i (ED Oct 2002)
1999 328i

Old 02-26-2012, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i
What a great trip report; I am actually enjoying not reading about the welt or the car Anxiously waiting for the next post!

Retired: 535|| Titanium Silver, Black interior, M-sport, Premium, SAT, Nav, Apps

Retired: 2010 535|| White, Natural Brown interior, Sports, SAT, iPOD, Rear airbags

Retired: 2008 528 - Premium, iPod, Cold Weather, Titanium with black interior

Old 02-26-2012, 07:40 PM

Day 4 - Munchen

Finally, I am in Munchen! Yes, London was fun for a couple of hours. Amsterdam was great for 2 days. But I still had the car in the back of my mind so I am happy to be here.

I am still rather maniacal when it comes to getting to the train station early. I know that European trains are very punctual and in my 20 years of riding trains on and off over here, although I've never experienced a train delay or any real mishap, I still feel uneasy getting to the train station too late.

So my train was scheduled to leave the Amsterdam Centraal station at 10:34. I left my hotel at 9am and got to the train station at around 9:20. It was way too early. I was standing at my gate waiting for the train at 9:30. I would have been way early if I came 30 minutes later.

So I walked into a Burger King that was right there where next to the track and ordered a coke. I wanted to get some change anyway for the u-bahn in Munchen if I take that to the hotel from the train station. I waited in there until around 10:15.

As usual, the train arrived exactly on time and I got on. I got a first class ticket on the train because the price was cheap and the difference between 2nd class and 1st class was minimal (maybe like $15?). I liked having my own seat without anyone next to me. 1st class was also fairly empty so it was nice. There was even a nice quiet area for the passengers in our car as a separate area to relax. I checked it out but didn't stay there too long because I felt a little uneasy leaving all of my stuff unattended. For the same reason, I didn't go to the dining car either.

It was a rather uneventful ride. I did have to change trains once so I couldn't just forget about everything and sleep the whole way. I didn't sleep much anyway and got to Munchen Hbf at 6:27pm.

It was drizzling out and I didn't really know exactly where the hotel was from the u-bahn station (although I knew it was close) so I just took a taxi. I am staying at the 4 points Olympiapark so I can walk to the Welt tomorrow. It was dark, rainy, and I was picturing myself with my luggage standing at the Olympiazentrum u-bahn station looking around with no idea where the 4 points is located.

The cabbie was cool and he was explaining the area as we drove in. He talked about the Olympic tower and the revolving restaurant up there. We passed the Welt and he said "That's the BMW building. You can walk in for free. Across from there is the museum." I was thinking "yeah, I've seen this a lot over the past few months on bimmerfest"...

It was only a 16.10 euro cab ride. The cabbie was nice enough to give me 10 cents so he gave me 34 euros change for my 50. I returned his favor by giving him a 2 euro tip. Is that too much?

Check in was pretty easy. The lady was nice. The upgraded me to an executive room for being SPG platinum. They also wrote a hand written note welcoming me to the hotel (nice gesture). This looks pretty much like a regular room to me. It's bare but has what it needs. She also informed me that parking is 8 euros/night in case I park the car here tomorrow. I'd like to just park it at the Welt for tomorrow night but if they don't let me, then I guess I'll be parking it here.

It's 7:21pm and I'm debating whether I should take the u-bahn now and head down to Marienplatz and walk around and maybe grab some beer and those giant pretzels at Hofbrauhaus but probably not. I'll do that tomorrow. I'm settled in and don't really feel like going out there in the rain.

Update: I decided to just stay in. The nice blonde at the front desk gave me a bucket of ice so I had some drinks in the room with some snacks that I picked up along the way.

Pics/Videos

Video: At the Amsterdam Centraal station

Video: Train leaving the station

Video: Quiet room on the train

http://www.danpaik.com/Travel/Europe...XM3N2941-M.jpg

Video: Self portrait video on the train

Pic: Four Points Olympiapark - Executive Room

My car delivery is at 10:30am tomorrow! I am going to check in at 9am. I also have the Welt tour at 11:30am. After that, I plan to head down to Marienplatz via u-bahn (not new car) and get some beer.

I will post some quick pics to comply with the 12 hour rule and then write up a more details report later.

RIP
2006 BMW 750Li
1987 BMW 325
2006 Toyota Sequoia 4WD
2003 Mercedes Benz E320
1996 Ford Explorer XLT

Last edited by RVD; 02-28-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: F30
That's the room I booked ! Glad to see some pics, looks good !, Update us tomorrow - looking forward to it !
Old 02-26-2012, 09:50 PM

T-5 hours for delivery. T-3.5 hours for checking. T-3 hours for leaving my hotel room to go t the Welt.

Oscars were good.

It's almost time!!!

RIP
2006 BMW 750Li
1987 BMW 325
2006 Toyota Sequoia 4WD
2003 Mercedes Benz E320
1996 Ford Explorer XLT