Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-24-2012, 03:25 PM
Mein Auto: X5 and 330
Code p16a7

This is regarding a 2004 325ci. At slow speeds the car runs smoothly. Once you try to accelerate at higher speeds, the check engine light goes on, EML, and traction lights. It seems like there might be something clogged. The code that pops up is P16A7. If you turn the car off and back on, all lights go off. Has anybody had these problems before? I read somewhere else that somebody went through the same thing. They replaced all sensors and ended up replacing the engine wire harness. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:44 AM
Mein Auto: 525i
Have same pronlem

How was this fixed?
Old 10-13-2015, 01:11 PM
Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Hey, hoping I could help. I had that exact code on a 2003 325i. It popped up for me twice in about 2 months under two different conditions, one being me accelerating slowly on the highway. The problem was a plugged up bank 2 catalytic converter.

After doing some research I found this page. I then tested my catalytic converters by hooking up a back pressure gauge.

I made my own back pressure gauge. I took a barb fitting that had same tread specifications as an oxygen sensor, wrapped some teflon tape around it to make sure it fits without leaks, attached a high temperature hose and a vacuum gauge.

I took out the primary (pre-cat) oxygen sensor, hooked the gauge up and idled the car, took a reading, then rev'd it up to about 4500 rpm and took a reading.

At idle bad cat in bank 2 showed somewhere between 0 and 2psi of back pressure (vacuum gauge wasn't accurate enough). At 4000 rpm it showed about 10psi of back pressure.
The good cat was 0 at idle, and maybe 2psi at 4000 rpm (again, vacuum gauge not super accurate). a

I replaced that bank 2 cat with another OEM one off a parts car, and everything was fixed.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Mein Auto: 04 325Ci
^ Same. Changed cats, fixed problem.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search