Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-25-2012, 08:16 AM
rumbleM3 rumbleM3 is offline
Registered User
Location: SD, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: E92 335i
I'll pass 328i until they fix the turbo lag problem

Just went and test drove the F30 328i and noticed quite a bit of turbo lag at WOT compared to a 335i. This is the same problem they had when the first E90 335i came out. Did anyone else get the same assessment? I'll pass the 328i until they fix this turbo lag and get rid of the requirement to purchase premium package for a xenon headlight option.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 02-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Carlos Thomas Carlos Thomas is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 100
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleM3 View Post
Just went and test drove the F30 328i and noticed quite a bit of turbo lag at WOT compared to a 335i. This is the same problem they had when the first E90 335i came out. Did anyone else get the same assessment? I'll pass the 328i until they fix this turbo lag and get rid of the requirement to purchase premium package for a xenon headlight option.
Drive in Sport mode.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-25-2012, 09:10 AM
justinnum1's Avatar
justinnum1 justinnum1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,736
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas View Post
Drive in Sport mode.
For real.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-25-2012, 09:52 AM
westwest888's Avatar
westwest888 westwest888 is offline
Banned
Location: San Francisco, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,180
Mein Auto: 2010 Audi S4
Audi 1.8T had bad turbo lag. Took them a while to nail it with the 2.0T. People still complain the transmission is laggy in the regular A4.

The easy way to solve that is to overcome the marketing, do what your heart tells you, and get the 6 speed manual. I'm sure the 328i is quite good with a manual.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-25-2012, 10:56 AM
7or8 7or8 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: RI
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 179
Mein Auto: '09 335i msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwest888 View Post
The easy way to solve that is to overcome the marketing, do what your heart tells you, and get the 6 speed manual....
True that.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-25-2012, 11:02 AM
av98's Avatar
av98 av98 is offline
ZHP = Patlabor
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,340
Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7or8 View Post
True that.
+1 the only transmission the n20 in the 328i should be sold with.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-25-2012, 02:09 PM
rumbleM3 rumbleM3 is offline
Registered User
Location: SD, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas View Post
Drive in Sport mode.
That's not normal if I have to switch to sport mode. Initially, E90 335i had the turbo lag in standard mode but not in sport mode also but that does not make it right. After some major complaints BMW fixed the 335i turbo lag even in the standard mode.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-25-2012, 02:24 PM
justinnum1's Avatar
justinnum1 justinnum1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,736
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleM3 View Post
That's not normal if I have to switch to sport mode. Initially, E90 335i had the turbo lag in standard mode but not in sport mode also but that does not make it right. After some major complaints BMW fixed the 335i turbo lag even in the standard mode.
Yes it is normal. If you are in comofort or eco mode you will not get the full performance. IF you put it in sport(not talking about DS) but toggle to sport(or sport+) and turbo lag is hardly discernible. Its not so much the lag your feeling as much the engine is just not going full power(if that makes sense) in comfort or eco. At first i didnt like the toggle switch, coming from N54, i was used to just getting in and going. But i like being able to switch between comfort, eco, and sport. On a long highway drive, eco saves you some gas. But when i need to be aggressive i can just switch it sport and pass everyone


Also, coming from 2 N54's, i dont think N20 has any more or less lag.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-25-2012, 05:26 PM
johnc_22's Avatar
johnc_22 johnc_22 is offline
Squeal like a BMW
Location: Atlanta, GA
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 6,586
Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
The E90 328i, when not in DS (sport mode), would start in 2nd gear and was very sluggish off the line unless you punched it.
__________________
2013 Audi A4 - Premium+/Sport/MMI/B+O Audio
2007 BMW E90 335i (retired)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-25-2012, 05:49 PM
tkeonce tkeonce is offline
Registered User
Location: Reading
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2011 328xi Jet Black
I don't think you will find this car to have much lag when driven in the "Sport" setting. As others referenced this is not popping the steptronic shifter over to m/s. The 328i modern or luxury line has 3 modes eco, comfort and sport. The sport line has the sport + mode added. It's like having 4 cars in 1. It sounds like you were sent out on a test drive without a client advisor giving you a good walk around on the car. Give it another shot and try the car in all 3/4 modes. IMO this car blows away anything else in it's class and will be a worthy successor to an already great car.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-26-2012, 12:16 PM
jmatero jmatero is offline
Registered User
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 99
Mein Auto: 2011 Mustang GT Manual
This car with the manual in Sport mode has little-no turbo lag. If you're in the Bay area, there is a 328i Manual at Stevens Creek BMW in San Jose. The difference in feel over the 8-speed is NIGHT and DAY.
__________________
2011 Mustang GT manual with Brembo Pkg, 3.73 rear end.

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-26-2012, 12:45 PM
raleedy's Avatar
raleedy raleedy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oregon
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,129
Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
1. All turbo engines have some degree of turbo lag. It's inherent in the very concept of an exhaust-powered turbine.
2. It will be more, rather than less, noticeable with a manual transmission than with an automatic. This is because normal manual shifts-up or down--involve momentary loss of rpms and because power development is not linear.

Last edited by raleedy; 02-26-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Saintor's Avatar
Saintor Saintor is offline
Abuser of everything
Location: MTL
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,807
Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
If it is like the E9X the real fix will come from Burger Tuning. It is easy to mistake the throttle mapping for a turbo lag.
__________________
2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-27-2012, 09:10 AM
AK's Avatar
AK AK is offline
Button Pusher
Location: Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,109
Send a message via AIM to AK Send a message via Yahoo to AK
Mein Auto: '07 335i, '04 4Runner
Why would the car have any less turbo lag in Sport mode? Throttle calibration software tricks can't overcome physics. It will always take X amount of time to spool up a turbocharger to a set boost level. Since the N20 runs more boost than the N54/N55 it would make sense that there's more perceived turbo lag. It takes longer to spool up to ~18psi than it does to ~8-9psi.

Disclaimer: I've not yet driven a car with the N20 motor.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-27-2012, 09:25 AM
justinnum1's Avatar
justinnum1 justinnum1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,736
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
Why would the car have any less turbo lag in Sport mode? Throttle calibration software tricks can't overcome physics. It will always take X amount of time to spool up a turbocharger to a set boost level. Since the N20 runs more boost than the N54/N55 it would make sense that there's more perceived turbo lag. It takes longer to spool up to ~18psi than it does to ~8-9psi.

Disclaimer: I've not yet driven a car with the N20 motor.
Its not that there is less lag in sport, but it might feel more laggy in comfort and eco....if that makes sense.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-27-2012, 09:29 AM
soledoc soledoc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: zionsville, IN
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,244
Mein Auto: '09 328i sedan, '02 525iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
+1 the only transmission the n20 in the 328i should be sold with.
Agreed. That's what I just ordered. Tell that to the dealerships...they only stock automatics.
__________________
2012 BMW 328i sport line, imperial blue/black with red/6MT,xenon, cold weather and premium, variable steering
PCD
2007 BMW 530xi wagon green/beige, sport, premium, cold weather
2011 Lexus ES350 (wife's)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-27-2012, 09:30 AM
AK's Avatar
AK AK is offline
Button Pusher
Location: Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,109
Send a message via AIM to AK Send a message via Yahoo to AK
Mein Auto: '07 335i, '04 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Its not that there is less lag in sport, but it might feel more laggy in comfort and eco....if that makes sense.
I really hate all this throttle remapping stuff. It all seemed to start with the advent of drive-by-wire throttle. IMHO, the throttle opening should track your right foot exactly with no curve remapping. I actually dislike putting my 335i in "DS" mode for this reason; the throttle becomes too sensitive. There's no need for it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-27-2012, 09:37 AM
justinnum1's Avatar
justinnum1 justinnum1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,736
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
I really hate all this throttle remapping stuff. It all seemed to start with the advent of drive-by-wire throttle. IMHO, the throttle opening should track your right foot exactly with no curve remapping. I actually dislike putting my 335i in "DS" mode for this reason; the throttle becomes too sensitive. There's no need for it.
Its all good, i like that i can put it in eco mode and save gas, but when i need sport, i can get it.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-27-2012, 05:01 PM
SilverX3's Avatar
SilverX3 SilverX3 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,096
Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwest888 View Post
The easy way to solve that is to overcome the marketing, do what your heart tells you, and get the 6 speed manual. l.
they don't make manual car anymore

you have to special order

and you may get a dodgy manual gearbox like what lexus did to IS250... they put Hilux gearbox in
__________________
Residence - StarTrek Enterprise
Job - Captain
Current Starship Fleet:
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-27-2012, 05:05 PM
justinnum1's Avatar
justinnum1 justinnum1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,736
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX3 View Post
they don't make manual car anymore

you have to special order

and you may get a dodgy manual gearbox like what lexus did to IS250... they put Hilux gearbox in
huh? bmw manuals are great, i dont like how much the clutch goes in after it catches, but you can def get a bmw manual. But the zf8 is awesome
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-27-2012, 05:37 PM
malc410326 malc410326 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Kentucky
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 135
Mein Auto: '12 MB SLK 350 & BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Its all good, i like that i can put it in eco mode and save gas, but when i need sport, i can get it.
So very true....3 cars in 1 or I think in your case, you have 4 cars in 1, since you have the additional sport+ mode.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-27-2012, 05:49 PM
justinnum1's Avatar
justinnum1 justinnum1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,736
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by malc410326 View Post
So very true....3 cars in 1 or I think in your case, you have 4 cars in 1, since you have the additional sport+ mode.
you do to kind of, just put it in sport and press the traction button once and thats pretty much all sport+ is.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-27-2012, 07:09 PM
krafty81 krafty81 is offline
Registered User
Location: Chesapeake, VA
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 29
Mein Auto: Acura MDX
Does the base mode (not sport/lux/modern) have three driving modes as well (sport, comfort, eco)? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-27-2012, 07:13 PM
justinnum1's Avatar
justinnum1 justinnum1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,736
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by krafty81 View Post
Does the base mode (not sport/lux/modern) have three driving modes as well (sport, comfort, eco)? Thanks.
yea
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-27-2012, 08:34 PM
7or8 7or8 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: RI
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 179
Mein Auto: '09 335i msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
1. All turbo engines have some degree of turbo lag. It's inherent in the very concept of an exhaust-powered turbine.
2. It will be more, rather than less, noticeable with a manual transmission than with an automatic. This is because normal manual shifts-up or down--involve momentary loss of rpms and because power development is not linear.
This is interesting. Makes sense. But why is it that a manual feels less laggy? Is it the torque convertor in an AT vs a MT that is causing the delay?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms