Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 Audi A4 Quattro
Looking at a 2008 135i Coupe

Hi,

Former 330Ci owner, possibly returning to BMW.

I'm looking at a CPO 2008 Sapphire Black 135i Coupe, w/a Black Boston Leather Interior, a 6 Spd MT, and the Premium, and Sport Packages. It has 48K miles on it. I'd love to get a 1 Series M, but they're out of my price range right now, as well as rare to find. I saw one this past fall, same color, and fell in love w/it.

I've read that there is one major issue w/the 135i's, having to do w/the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) on the N54 engine. Has BMW finally resolved that issue?

Any other issues that I should be aware of?

How do you people who own the 135i Coupe like it?

It's funny, I presently have a 2008 Audi A4 Quattro (B7), w/the 2.0T engine, and it too has an issue w/it's HPFP, due to the CAM Follower on it having a tendency to failing, damaging the CAM. Mine hasn't failed, but I replaced the CAM Follower on it just as a precaution. I guess it had to do w/quality control, w/some of them not being heat treated properly by Audi's supplier(s).

If I get the 135i, I plan to tune it up a little. Who has the best software upgrade, BMW or Dinan? How about the Cat Back exhaust.

Finally, what are people getting for mileage on it w/the N54 engine?

Thx.
2008 135i Coupe; Black Sapphire Metalic; Boston Black Leather Interior; 6 Spd M/T; Premium Package; Sport Package; Comfort Access System; Gray Poplar Wood Trim; Heated Front Seats; Park Distance Control (rear); Stronger Electricity Supply; iPod/USB Adapter; Dinan Stage 2 Software Upgrade; Tinted Windows (35%); Black Kidney Grille
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2012, 06:47 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
I purchased a CPO `08 135i convertible last October. No problems at all with the car so far...I believe that the HPFP issue was addressed sometime prior to my taking ownership. I read that BMW is offering a "performance kit" for the 135i, that can be installed by dealer service, for $500 if you're inclined towards that sort of thing. Performance-wise, I have no intention of doing anything with mine other than scheduled maintenance...the car already drives like a rocket-sled.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 02-27-2012, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
[QUOTE=GoHack;6657121]I've read that there is one major issue w/the 135i's, having to do w/the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) on the N54 engine. Has BMW finally resolved that issue? [QUOTE]

IMO yes they have. Make sure the CPO you buy has had the recall replacement HPFP done.

Also it should come with the extended warranty letter on the HPFP 10 yrs or 120,000 miles whichever is sooner.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=395333
Old 02-29-2012, 12:14 PM

I went and bought a CPO 2008 Sapphire Black/Boston Black Leather 135i Coupe, w/a 6 Spd M/T, and the Premium, and Sport packages, plus some others, like a rear backup sensor.

I found out during the pricing negotiations w/the dealer, when I was at the door, about to walk out, that it has the Dinan Stage 2 Software Package installed, when I happened to mention that I would of installed it. That caught my attention. They went and checked their records, and came back w/a copy of the bill of sale as proof, w/the previous owner's name blacked out. That's a savings of over $2K according to the receipt. So that pretty much made the deal, together w/a tad more off the vehicle, and a complete set of rubber mats.

I was told that to be a CPO vehicle, all after market software has to be removed, but it was overlooked on this vehicle. That's something like 380 hp, w/400 ft-lbs of torque, vs. the stock 300 hp/ 300 ft-lbs of torque.

The HPFP has been replaced, and it does carry the extended warranty on it. I believe all models w/that pump are, whether the regular warranty is up or not.
2008 135i Coupe; Black Sapphire Metalic; Boston Black Leather Interior; 6 Spd M/T; Premium Package; Sport Package; Comfort Access System; Gray Poplar Wood Trim; Heated Front Seats; Park Distance Control (rear); Stronger Electricity Supply; iPod/USB Adapter; Dinan Stage 2 Software Upgrade; Tinted Windows (35%); Black Kidney Grille
Old 02-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Damn...jackpot! Congratulations! I guarantee that you will love the 135i.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 03-01-2012, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: '09 135i & '11 328xi SWgn
I have almost 19,000 miles on my 2009 135i, and have averaged 26.1 mpg since the day I bought the car. I drive 75% highway miles, and I rarely dip deep into the throttle... but it is a blast when I do.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHack View Post
I found out during the pricing negotiations w/the dealer, when I was at the door, about to walk out, that it has the Dinan Stage 2 Software Package installed, when I happened to mention that I would of installed it. That caught my attention. They went and checked their records, and came back w/a copy of the bill of sale as proof, w/the previous owner's name blacked out. That's a savings of over $2K according to the receipt.
That's a sweet deal. It's supposed to have an oil cooler, does it have that?

Is the Dinan warranty transfered to you? Maybe it doesn't matter if it's a 2008.

Now you just need a diff.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
That's a sweet deal. It's supposed to have an oil cooler, does it have that?

Is the Dinan warranty transfered to you? Maybe it doesn't matter if it's a 2008.

It comes w/a built in oil cooler from BMW, which is fine for up to the Stage 2, but for the Stage 3, you need either the Dinan one, or a bigger after market model, I believe, especially if you want to run it on the track.

The Dinan warranty is only good for the length of the BMW original warranty, so it's about to expire. The car has 48K on it.

Last edited by GoHack; 03-01-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:24 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHack View Post
I went and bought a CPO 2008 Sapphire Black/Boston Black Leather 135i Coupe, w/a 6 Spd M/T, and the Premium, and Sport packages, plus some others, like a rear backup sensor.

I found out during the pricing negotiations w/the dealer, when I was at the door, about to walk out, that it has the Dinan Stage 2 Software Package installed, when I happened to mention that I would of installed it. That caught my attention. They went and checked their records, and came back w/a copy of the bill of sale as proof, w/the previous owner's name blacked out. That's a savings of over $2K according to the receipt. So that pretty much made the deal, together w/a tad more off the vehicle, and a complete set of rubber mats.

I was told that to be a CPO vehicle, all after market software has to be removed, but it was overlooked on this vehicle. That's something like 380 hp, w/400 ft-lbs of torque, vs. the stock 300 hp/ 300 ft-lbs of torque.

The HPFP has been replaced, and it does carry the extended warranty on it. I believe all models w/that pump are, whether the regular warranty is up or not.
I believe that Dinan upgrades are not treated as aftermarket, because there is an agreement between Dinan and BMW. Could be wrong, but...
Actually. I considered some Dinan upgrades on my 1999 528, but decided I didn't need them.

Last edited by ProRail; 03-01-2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Retrospection
Old 03-01-2012, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
I would rather have that than go with an xdrive BMW.

Last edited by Norm37; 03-01-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
I believe that Dinan upgrades are not treated as aftermarket, because there is an agreement between Dinan and BMW. Could be wrong, but...
Actually. I considered some Dinan upgrades on my 1999 528, but decided I didn't need them.
Dinan parts affect your warranty like any other aftermarket parts, but Dinan steps in and covers you instead.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:17 PM

I brought my Bimmer in for service today to the dealer, in order to have my rear differential, the manual transmission, and the engine oils changed, as well as to have my Black Kidney Grille installed, and to verify that I indeed have the Dinan Stage 2 Software installed, and that it wasn't removed for CPO certification.

Unlike most people, I like to change the power train oils on my vehicles. The BMW recommendation for change is at 100K miles. My vehicle has 48K miles on it. You have to figure that they have the initial break in metal particals, and that from the normal wear, and some break down of the oil. As for the engine, the oil wasn't changed because it wasn't due. I like to start w/a clean slate, when I buy used, so I had the engine oil/filter changed as well. I normally change my oil every 5K miles, whether it needs it or not.

The Black Kidney Grill got installed and looks great.

The engine was checked to see if it still had the Dinan Software installed, and it appeared that it was indeed removed. As such, they offered to re-installed it for me, and just charged me for the labor. After, on the highway, I thought it was already pretty powerful, but after the software was installed, I noticed a BIG improvement.

What's next? Probably the exhaust and intake. If I want to take it to the track, then I may need a bigger oil cooler, or maybe use a heavier engine oil, like a 5W-40 instead perhaps?

I want to get it dynoed, but have to wait until at least late spring, in order to be able to get the summer grade of fuel.

Last edited by GoHack; 03-02-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:45 PM
The Doom Bringer

Mein Auto: 2001 330i & 2007 Z4 3.0i
This was fairly informative. I am in a similar position as the OP. I love my E46 but I was looking at different CPO 135i and after driving one I loved it. I was wondering about any maintenance issues it may have and the HPFP (that old chestnut) Overall it sounds pretty solid
Old 03-02-2012, 05:52 AM

The Dinan Warranty covers everything directly effected by their software tweak, and BMW covers everything else.

Their warranty is only good till 50K miles on the vehicle, when BMW's original one expires.

I've got an extended warranty w/my BMW, 2 years/100K miles, because it is a CPO. I'm trying to find out from Dinan if they too have any extended warranty option available.

Oh, when I had the Dinan Stage 2 Software re-installed yesterday on my car, I asked if it will effect my CPO warranty, and they said no. Of course if something fails that had something to do w/Dinan's Software, I don't know about that, since their warranty has expired, so I guess I better find out about that.

Last edited by GoHack; 03-02-2012 at 05:55 AM.