Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old Today, 03:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BART
Tinting moonroof to prevent injury from shattering?

Ever since I've read posts about moonroofs suddenly exploding, I've been wary of opening the shade in front of the moonroof. Couple of days ago, I was driving around with shade open and was getting burned with all the sunlight coming through the moonroof, so I thought of tinting the moonroof glass. This got me thinking whether it may have a secondary benefit of holding the shattered glass in place - if ever it was to shatter.

I have no experience with tinting. What do you guys think? Would a regular window tint keep shattered moonroof glass in place vs it flying everywhere?
Ads by Google
Old Today, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
It would probably help contain the glass, but it's tempered glass anyway. It doesn't shatter and crest glass shards, it more or less crumbles. Even then, you probably have a bigger chance of totaling your car from an accident that worrying about your sunroof exploding. I wouldn't loose sleep over this concern
2013 550i M-Sport|300|LCSW|4MR|2TB|704|760|2ND (powder coated)|PDC|ZEC|6F2|ZDA|5AD|416|494|Dinan Stage 2|CF Rear Spoiler|CF Mirror Caps|CF Splitter|M Performance Diffuser| Front Reflector Delete|Black Grilles|Coded
BMW CCA member
Old Today, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: BART
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdude View Post
It would probably help contain the glass, but it's tempered glass anyway. It doesn't shatter and crest glass shards, it more or less crumbles. Even then, you probably have a bigger chance of totaling your car from an accident that worrying about your sunroof exploding. I wouldn't loose sleep over this concern
I'm concerned because tempered glass does "shatter" but in small pieces instead of large shards and all cases I've read of moonroof shattering mention that the glass exploded and sounded like a gunshot.

Btw, are there any tints that can block UVA/UVB rays i.e. reduce burning effect of direct sunlight without noticeable reduction in visible light coming into the cabin?
Old Today, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
I would buy a Sherman tank. They don't have a sunroof to explode and fair pretty well in accidents....

2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old Today, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorboat411 View Post
I'm concerned because tempered glass does "shatter" but in small pieces instead of large shards and all cases I've read of moonroof shattering mention that the glass exploded and sounded like a gunshot.

Btw, are there any tints that can block UVA/UVB rays i.e. reduce burning effect of direct sunlight without noticeable reduction in visible light coming into the cabin?
Yes, some cars have this on the front windshield. My CL600 had UVA/UVB protection on the windshield
2013 550i M-Sport|300|LCSW|4MR|2TB|704|760|2ND (powder coated)|PDC|ZEC|6F2|ZDA|5AD|416|494|Dinan Stage 2|CF Rear Spoiler|CF Mirror Caps|CF Splitter|M Performance Diffuser| Front Reflector Delete|Black Grilles|Coded
BMW CCA member