Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 02-27-2012, 12:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to JustRich
Mein Auto: 318ti
Heater Control Problem

Hi guys. this is my first post.... ive just ran out of suggestions from other sites ive combed through in the last few months...I drive a 96 318ti. it had overheated and owner replaced thermostat and water pump as well as new radiator. but no heat. i checked the heater core its not leaking and both pipes going in and out of it are cold. it seems like the both the inlet and outlet hoses into the heater valve are cold as well or maybe ive got to wait longer than 10 min to keep checking? even after the temp reaches 12 o clock. unless i run the car for about 15 mintues then well everything gets hot. the car doesnt overheat and has no coolant leaks and ive tried bleeding it just in case there was air in the system. i checked the bowden cable behind the heater knob nd everything is intact. the outlet hose from the waterpump is hot n i believe its the house that circles the block into the heater valve coolant level is perfect.. ive tried a rebooting knob step which i read in a earlier post but nothing. I really dont want to put in someting like a heater core or heater valve if i dont have to and thatd be blindly throwing money but im tired of arriving at work and having no feeling in my toes :/ thansk guys any suggestions would be appreciated and done P.s My Email is arachnodude@hotmail.com

Last edited by JustRich; 02-27-2012 at 01:09 PM. Reason: forgot email
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2012, 02:56 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Search for 'bleeding an e36'.

My email is 2lazy2search@gmail.com. <--Yes, this is a real email. I just finished making it

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?

Last edited by jonesin; 02-27-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:27 PM

Send a message via MSN to JustRich
Mein Auto: 318ti
K.. Tried bleeding it again and nothing new. I'm wondering though if it could be a bad heater valve...? Also was thinking of that happens to be the problem would replacing it without flushing the heater core cause problems or is flushing it out of whatever is in it the best idea? Air or water? I can feel the slight change in temperature when I turn the heater knob from cold to hot cold on cold and slightly mild cold on hot but no hot air from anywhere