Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 06-30-2014, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: Sequoia
serious question before purchase a M5

I drove a 2006 M5 today and have a question for you guys. The car I looked at does not roll or crawl when I put on 1 or 2 gear (automatic mode). It shifted on its own to 3rd gear but not smoothly. when it shifted up, it took longer time to change gear and not really smooth like other BMW. Is it normal for M5? I don't' know how to describe the shift but it slowed down and moved forward quickly and caused a jerky movement.
The car looks really nice in and out and the price is right. However, I don't want to buy it and end up with needing new transmission. BTW, the car was stolen and recovered. Thanks a million guys

Anthony
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2014, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M5
Sounds like mine. You can adjust the shift actuation on the center console. The SMG transmission takes some getting used to, but once you do, you'll enjoy the car. I dial up the shifting to a 6 and manually shift mine much more than I put it in D. It's a great car to drive and listen to. If you have access, check out Top Gear UK Series 6, Episode 9, they review this exact 2006 M5 towards the end of the show. It says it all about this car.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 E60 M5
I have a 12/05 built car with the SMG - it has been perfect for over 90k miles. You have to adjust the shift point, and suggest you drive it in S5 unless you are on a road trip and then selecting D3 is my preference. As CT BMW Boy says, you have to put time in the seat to learn the SMG - once you do, the shifting will get as smooth as you want it to be.

Good luck

Mark
Old 07-08-2014, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: F-350
the car will never drive like the automatic in an auto BMW. It is not at all an automatic transmission. The basic way to describe my comprehension of the way this operates (and how I tell people who say its like a toyota or whatever with paddle shifters) is it is a manual transmission with no clutch pedal. When you are stopped it is like the clutch is pushed in and add a little gas it engages and you go. not like a torque converter in an automatic transmission. I have noticed in mine that when i do put it in auto, adjusting the shift speed not only changes how fast it shifts but it feels like it also changes the shift points. when mine is in D1 ill be going 45mph in 6th gear whereas in D5 45mph would be 4th gear. I personally do not like the logic the computer has for D mode so 9.9 times out of 10 I keep the tranny setting it somewhere between 3 and 6 in manual mode.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: F-350
I forgot to say, most cars with paddle shifters that typical people buy are auto transmissions with paddles. this is a manual with paddles. I guess thats what that big long reply was meant to say
Old 10-11-2014, 11:39 PM

Mein Auto: Sequoia
I checked out another 2006 M5, 75000 miles, today. the owner is an BMW enthusiast. He changed diff and tranny fluid around 40000 miles. He drove the M5 in S mode and it ran so smoothly compare to the one I tested few months back. He asked for 26,600.
He has clear bra wrapped around the car and a carbon wrap hood. the car looks excellent makes me want to bring home. However, I still worry about SMG clutch, vanos, and steering sensor.
At what mileage the SMG need to be replace or fixed? How do I find out if steering sensor has been fixed or replaced? I can check production date to find out vanos issue has been corrected by BMW.
What else do I have to worry about beside these 3 issues? Valley pan? air spring suspension? electronic issues?

thanks

ALX5