Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M5 & M6 > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 12-06-2015, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M5
2006 M5 - Adaptation Error/failure after installing new clutch.

I recently had the clutch replaced on my 2006 M5 after experiencing gear slippage and other related performance issues.

The clutch was successfully replaced and apparently drives perfectly well; there is no gear slippage or performance issues that might be related to the clutch/transmission.

However every time they road test it, an error appears saying that the transmission failed to initialise (or something to that affect) and so for several weeks now they have been trying to figure out why this error keeps on coming up even though it drives fine.
Every possible test has been performed but none have identified what could be causing the error.

Repairs/replacements that have been made to try and fix the problem and hopefully get the car to initialise have been:
- Took out and reinstalled the clutch
- Checked slave cylinder
- Checked Flywheel
- Checked Pressure Plate
- Checked and replaced relevant sensors
- Checked wiring
- Checked the Control Unit
- Updated Software

My question is, is it possible for the car to initialise/adapt as expected but an error appears that doesn’t actually exist?

If this is the case, what could be causing the error? Could it be the battery going flat or something wrong with the alternator?

It also could be related to an ongoing electronic issue that I have not been able to resolve for a few months now. For instance I get a Parking Distance Control Failure message but then it will go away and the system will work fine for a day or two and then the error would appear again. I use to get the ‘Power Window Anti-trap Function’ error and then it would disappear even though the window was working fine. More annoyingly, sometimes when I’m driving the sound system would completely drop out for a split second, similar to when you earth a wire. This happens randomly. So something must be causing electronic issues which I think could be linked to the main issue I’ve described above.

Kind of clutching at straws so any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2015, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M5
It may not be battery related

I've just received an update from the guys who are working on the car and they have confirmed that the battery is working fine so that rules it out as the cause of the error. Dosn't rule out an issue with the alternator though.

They confirmed that the car is mechanically fine and that maybe I just drive it around for a bit to 'relearn'? Is this advisable?
Old 12-17-2015, 04:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 M5 SMG
Over on the M5board website we see this problem occasionally. It's usually a bad slave cylinder that won't allow the adaption. We all recommend that during a clutch change, everything in the bell housing gets replaced including the slave cylinder. Otherwise you'll have to pull the transmission again for the slave cylinder. Cheaper to replace while the transmission is out. They do go bad and sometime the rubber seal goes bad and it hoses down your new clutch with hyd fluid. The PLCD sensor can wait as that can be change with the transmission installed. If after a new slave cylinder doesn't fix it, the PLCD would be next. I would check for codes. You may want to try a new PLCD sensor first since that won't involve pulling the transmission.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:20 PM

What's up guys... I'm having the same issue I have a 2008 m5 SMG with 70k on the clock. I just repaired a number of things & its faling to adapt to the new clutch or its position with the only fault code throwing which is soley 46ff. The list of repairs are ( clutch kit, flywheel cryoed assembly, smg pump, clutch position sensor, save cylinder) smg unit has full pressure the issue is when its time to bleed the system during readapt it fails idk the software the Indy shop uses but we all are stumped SOS!! please help I'm sorry I'm new to this forum also the car is inoperable

Last edited by Bawse; 01-26-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:38 PM

Hi Bawse I'm just down the road in Newnan. I have an 08 too and did my own clutch. It looks like you changed the slave cylinder which usually causes this. What software are they using? I use BMW Rheingold and it does both the slave cylinder bleed and then the hyd block bleed. I know some have had trouble autologic. Are they bleeding the slave first? Has your smg hyd fluid level been verified full which means depressurizing the smg so all the fluid is out of the accumulator and in the reservoir. Also BTW have you installed a new SMG pump relay? Easy 10.00 preventative thing to do but that's not causing your problem. I'm guessing their software.

Last edited by B767capt; 01-26-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:24 PM

Thanks b767capt for the quick response, I'm not sure of what software they are actually using for the readoption process, its currently located at German AutoWerks they speak highly of thier BMW MASTER TECH I'm not sure if he covered everything you've stated. But I'm frustrated to have dumped all this money in the repairs & its still inoperable. I'm wil give them a call to ask them about what you've stated cause maybe they missed something. I had originally lost full power before this nitemare occurred then transafe mode kicked in navi started tweaking I had originally thought it was merely the battery. But I seen the clutch & it was battered & afterward had low smg fluid levels which led to the pump repairs. Then I did both cps & slave cylinder to be on safe side & still nothing
Old 01-27-2016, 03:29 AM

When you say you lost full power do you mean electrically or the motor stopped? One of the biggest headaches on these E60 cars in particular is the voltage regulator. It goes bad and spikes the car with over voltage and causes all kinds of warnings that make people chase other components. The VR is a 70.00 piece and can be changed under an hour. Very easy to change. Most places change the alternator and with labor charge 1k. That has to be sorted out first and make sure your electrical system is running fine before you chase other faults. You can buy a cigarette lighter voltage read out on Amazon for few dollars and monitor it while you drive. Usually it will spike for a second or two then go back normal if it's starting to fail. After the motor is running it should be around 13.8 to 14.5 volts depending what you have turned on. How old is your AGM battery?

Last edited by B767capt; 01-27-2016 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:21 AM

Well I'll be honest b767capt, a few weeks prior to this incident I went & had aftermarket audio installed in the beast. The hot wire was ran straight to the factory battery but mind you I've only had the car a month & a half prior to the entire incident actually it still has 90 day tags smh. I also drive semis which rarely has me behind the wheel of the car. So the few occasions I did get behind the wheel I started realizing it would take me 2-3 times to push button the car but I would think I didn't hold the ignition button maybe long enough to allow it to crank. Then I realized I would be in traffic & have the music up through the 1500w sounds system & my nsvi would tweak & black for a split moment but always go back to normal but I would lose the bass in the subs until I drove a couple miles with it down. So there would be days I would really try to peak the performance of the car & really see what it does when i m not Trucking ofcourse & when I would hammer it I lose my audio as well along with the navi. & the one last day I took a 400 mi ride to NC, I stopped to a rest Area & on my departure I hammered it down off the ramp with my music booming in the zone, & soon as I let up I lost the music, navi went bananas the car kick down in limp mode I then bared off the next exit & soon as I came to a stoplight she deceased. I tried to get a jump which I did it fired her back up I let her idle & when I thought all was well I tried to bump her back in d1 & it would grind goin into gear & jolt forward then stall. I repeated this 2-3 times before I gave up & called a roll back & every since she has not been operating. So I had the clutch repaired & cps along with slaver cylinder but was told the car had low smg pressure sk repaired the pump & now it fails to readoption & initialize with the code 46ff...I can't wait til it's over!! Also the tech says its voltage is good being attached to the battery tender & I'm guessing it maybe the factory battery & alternator being that I was told I'm only the 2nd owner

Last edited by Bawse; 01-27-2016 at 05:29 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:39 AM

I'm leaning towards voltage regulator/bad battery/alternator. It can be any of these. The electrical doesn't sound up to snuff. The 46FF code is odd to me too. Makes me think they are using different aftermarket type software. Not saying 46FF isn't valid, it's just not a usual code I've seen before. Get the date stamp off the battery post. Make sure it's an AGM as this car needs that type of battery. If lead acid then the coding needs to be verified that it was changed. Car came from factory with AGM and is coded as such. Many people just throw in a battery when it goes bad and there is much more to it than that with this car. I keep mine on a CETEK charger 24/7 since this car is spooky with any variance in voltage. Also tapping off the battery can screw up the logic with the IBS. Does the auto shop know about the radio amp being wired to the battery? There has to be a tap to KL30 bus which is the hot battery bus. As you're finding out these cars can be brutal trying to get the bugs out.

Last edited by B767capt; 01-28-2016 at 03:03 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:02 AM

Yea its definitely a headache, ive dumped a estimated total of $7k since this incident & still nothing. But I'll definitely going to advise them of everything you refer to me also since the incident I've removed the audio system. I've had had a Indy shop prior to the one its located currently get the car to fire up after the clutch & flywheel installation but was inoperable because of the low smg pressure warning. The indy shop it currently located repaired the low pressure warning but can not get it to crank to initialize clutch position or bleed the system so that's where I'm stumped the last shop fired it up but this shop can't get it to crank .
Old 01-27-2016, 06:18 AM

Hard to trouble shoot over the internet. Have you joined the M5Board.com? There is much more traffic over there and guys spend a lot of time on there and know this car well. This is a great BMW board here but for M5 specific issues, the other one is best for technical info. It won't crank if there is no smg pressure. Do they hear the pump prime when the door is opened? Did they replace the smg pump motor or the whole smg hydraulic unit? I've done my pump motor myself and is easy to do.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:33 AM

Yes you are correct b767capt & I appreciate your support ! But I've had the SMG pump , clutch position sensor & slave cylinder installed at the current Indy shop its located so I do have full pressure in the unit now . also the previous shop repaired the clutch & flywheel ! But the current Indy shop can't get it to initialize I was also thinking maybe their software but idk I'm not BMW savey but u do know the last indy shop had it cranked but it had low smg pressure warning idk what to do ... But I will check out the other forum you referring to thanks for you support b767capt thus far
Old 02-01-2016, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540
I almost always have issues initializing new clutches or slave cylinders. I usually just run the test over and over, and after about 5 or 6 tries, it works successfully.

However, if they replaced the pump and didn't prime it, it won't build any pressure. There's a 6 mm allen head drain plug on the bottom of the pump. Open it, and activate the pump. It will prime itself, and piss out fluid, so be ready to stick the plug back in. Then top off the fluid again and go from there.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:08 AM

Really that many times White94RX , soo the latest info I got is the car is still inoperable they have it on dolly wheels cause the wheels are locked . They practically gave up on it & now just want the money for the repairs they've done thus far which hasn't changed any status of it . I was thinking BMW of Atlanta next which I hate to have to take to a dealer but nobody has improved the situation . idk what to do next if anyone knows anyone in the Atlanta area who has the equipment to help let me know . thanks again to you guys
Old 02-02-2016, 02:27 PM

Well if you want to tow it to someone who knows what they're doing, I work at United BMW in Roswell.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:25 PM

Aye White94RX sounds good brother. As youve read along this particular forum you see all the issues I've had as well as the parts I've had repaired. I also stated what actually led up to the day of it be inoperable so I pretty much laid it all out there. So I guess it helps narrow a few things down . when you get a chance shoot me a contact in which you can be best reached at & well go from there ...thanks hear from you soon

Last edited by Bawse; 02-02-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:29 PM

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150709_135556.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	549140  

Last edited by Bawse; 02-02-2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:26 AM

White94RX will fix your car. He used to frequent the M5board and helped many people out. He knows the car.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:48 AM

I understand & I appreciate you all's help regarding my concern. This has been a total nightmare , I haven't had a chance to enjoy the car since I purchased it smh . like I've stated it still has the 90 day tags on it which expired August sometime . but I haven't given up on it being its kind of like my dream supercar that I actually was able to get as an adult now. But its been HELL , this is nothing like a Classic Chevy which I'm use to but I'm optimistic & being that I'm a OTR trucker this is my toy rather than my daily commuter . But I'm give you all a shot maybe 2 weeks from now I should return off the road. I appreciate you 2 fellas over & out !
Old 02-03-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B767capt View Post
White94RX will fix your car. He used to frequent the M5board and helped many people out. He knows the car.
I wish I had more time to be in the M5 board. Since I got a new phone awhile back I never even installed the app.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:17 AM

We just learned that it's back on tapatalk now.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E92 M3
Did you find out what was wrong with it?
Old 05-02-2017, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawse View Post
I understand & I appreciate you all's help regarding my concern. This has been a total nightmare , I haven't had a chance to enjoy the car since I purchased it smh . like I've stated it still has the 90 day tags on it which expired August sometime . but I haven't given up on it being its kind of like my dream supercar that I actually was able to get as an adult now. But its been HELL , this is nothing like a Classic Chevy which I'm use to but I'm optimistic & being that I'm a OTR trucker this is my toy rather than my daily commuter . But I'm give you all a shot maybe 2 weeks from now I should return off the road. I appreciate you 2 fellas over & out !
Hi Bawse,

Did you resolve the problem? I think i have same fault..
Old 05-02-2017, 01:29 PM

How you alls doing huh im rarely up here. So your having issues ya say well lemme tell ya it can be a pain in the you know what ! So to get straight to it this is what it is. In the end i replace trans & smg hydro unit. Got it for a fair price i guess . on thr original trans i replace clutch& flywheel kit . i replace original hydro unit i had issue w to a refurbish hydro unit. It lasted few months thn crapped out had warranty still no luck on the return unit fail thn got refund thn purchase this unit i stated in beginning. Old hydro unit had internal bleeding issues or something with seals . ofcourse pump was replace position sensor& the other thing. Hope that answers your question. Go!
Old 05-02-2017, 01:34 PM

Other thing= slave cylinder

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
adaptation, battery, clutch, errors, m%

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M5 & M6 > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search