Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-12-2014, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 735i
2011 BMW 528i (F10) Head Resistant deployed

I have 2011 528i Sedan. I got rear ended by some a*****. There is virtually no damage to the car (very small ding on the bumper. However driver side active head restraint deployed. Now I'm getting the message about system malfunctioning. Is there way to reset it without going to a dealer? Also, how do I push headrest back to the original location? I got the part (Repair kit, crash-active head restraint) from the dealer to replace.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue by replacing the repair kit? The dealer is charging $300. Repair kit is not included. I tried couple of YouTube videos. But itís not showing me that model that I have (Headrest adjust button is on the back cap). Please let me know.

Here is the link that I tried

Thanks in advance for your help!_a_
Ads by Google
Old 03-06-2014, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 735i
Not received any reply for this issue. Please let me know how to remove the head rest back cover.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535ix 2008 E61
It is supposed to deploy to protect you. I'll bet that BMW wants the dealer to reset it, and not you -- for purposes of controlling their liability were it to fail in the future. Also, if you were rear ended, wouldn't insurance cover this as a repair from collision damage?
Old 03-08-2014, 08:40 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535iX M Sport; 328i Wagon
I don't get it. OP bought an expensive (used) car, and now won't spend $300 of his own money (or better yet, $300 of the at-fault driver's insurance company's money) to repair a part that could save his life. He joins BF and makes makes a post, then 3 weeks later posts a testy follow-up like we somehow owe him an answer.

Utter fail.

Current BMW's:
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K
2011 535xi M Sport TiAg / Black, ZPP, ZP2, ZCV, ZCW, ZDA, 2TB, 6NR, 465, 5DL, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Prior BMW's
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Sport
Old 03-08-2014, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535 x Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
I don't get it. OP bought an expensive (used) car, and now won't spend $300 of his own money (or better yet, $300 of the at-fault driver's insurance company's money) to repair a part that could save his life. He joins BF and makes makes a post, then 3 weeks later posts a testy follow-up like we somehow owe him an answer.

Utter fail.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weinschela View Post
It is supposed to deploy to protect you. I'll bet that BMW wants the dealer to reset it, and not you -- for purposes of controlling their liability were it to fail in the future. Also, if you were rear ended, wouldn't insurance cover this as a repair from collision damage?
this. Insurance of at fault party should cover this repair.

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 03-08-2014, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: '13 535i 6MT & '89 535iA
Perhaps the incident was minor enough that insurance never came into the picture, or perhaps the a****** rear ended and drove away (has happened to me not once, but twice in DC - one was a taxi and the DC police refused to look into despite me having the last 4 digits of the license plate number).

If the user did indeed have a 735i (probably an E32), then perhaps this user is like me and is comfortable wrenching on a car (including working on systems related to safety like airbags, brakes, etc.) and finds it silly to pay $300 for what is probably a 10 minute job (once you know how to remove the silly headrest cover, which probably involves some strange pulling or pushing at an odd angle that is unintuitive but simple when someone gives you some guidance).

I think it's silly to disparage someone for asking a simple question - his response was hardly testy, just an efficient way of bumping up a post in case someone does know the answer to his query. One of the best things about BMW ownership, historically, has been the enthusiastic and supportive community surrounding the cars, both old and new.

For my part, I'm going to ask my bmw tech friend and try to get that answer.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i MSport
When I was rear ended in November 2012 my head rest device was activated. When I was getting estimates both the BMW body shop and a non-BMW body shop told me that the head rest should be replaced. They said you might be able to re-set the device, but it might not work next time you are rear-ended.

edit: And yes, the other person's insurance covered the replacement.

Last edited by DavidZ; 03-09-2014 at 09:52 AM.