Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745Li
car jerking, transmission failsafe on and engine service light on

First and foremost, I would like to say that I really like the 745Li I have. It looks great and runs awesome! but it sure gives me a headache when something weird happens to it. I've had my share of sorrows and they do weight heavier than the good counterparts. If I had known id be so difficult to asses any internal damage to this car, I would not have bought it.

Y

I need advice and help to see if this has happened to anyone. These are the specifics:

1) I have a 2004 745Li, with 109K miles now and I am the third owner.

2) saturday at 12:00pm the car jerked while driving in a small street. it jerked me forward when shifting to 2nd gear (i believe) then again right after that. it was a rather abrupt jerk that felt like it moved me forward very fast. I pulled over, turned off the car, waited a minute or two then turned it on again and moved forward.

2) sat afternoon: did the jerking thing again, but not as hard. i took the same actions.

3) sat night: drove around town and even went up a hill or two, and in freeway, but did not have a single problem.

4) sunday: drove on and off without a single problem.

5) Sunday night: I was picking my little sister and car did the same abrupt jerk, then again as in Sunday. I was going to pull over, but the message board said "transmission failsafe on, drive moderately" almost as soon as I was going to pull over. I did pull over, turned it off and turned it on again. Car went back to normal and then same issue happened. This problem happened on and off about 5 times, but drove the car slowly home since i was not far away. when i got home the transmission failsafe light didnt come on anymore, but instead it had something about a "emissions problem"

6) Sunday night: checked all fluids and seemed fine.

7) Monday morning: turned car on and just had the "service engine soon" light on

8) Monday morning: called triple AAA and had the car towed to a trusted mechanic.

9) Monday morning: called mechanic at 4pm and he said he drove it around and found no problem. He asked for more time to keep checking it.

10) Monday afternoon typing this: Personally feeling sad and lost becuase I cant find out what it is and fear that it will be a tranny issue
Ads by Google
Old 02-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 745Li
Take a look @ PDF, Do not know if this will help. Go to this website and turn to PDF, please read over. Can not guarantee but worked for me.

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B241707g.htm
Old 02-27-2012, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
Sounds like you need to change out your tranny fluid, spark plugs, and your cats might be clogged as well.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Its electrical. it has nothing to do with fluids.

First check the integrated supply module. ( located under the hood/ passenger side, under the micro filter) Part is about $120, very easy to install.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=12&fg=35&hl=1

Then check the power Module (make sure theres no corrosion in the contacts) located in the trunk by the battery)

part is about $500-$550 requires coding.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=61&fg=25&hl=5

2002 745i
Old 01-14-2013, 09:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 bmw 745 li
I am having this same problem...can anyone help?
Old 01-15-2013, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 745I
Look at this thread :P

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=669900
Old 02-20-2013, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: 740il
I have a 1996 740 IL. how do you change transmission fluid. I'm getting rough shifting and grinding noise at startup. please help cause I love this car.