Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 01-06-2002, 04:46 PM
Raoul Duke

Mein Auto: Great Red Shark
autocross w/ steptronic

Anyone ever autocross w/ a steptronic?
Old 01-06-2002, 04:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw
Thumbs up I did!!

Back in Nov last year with James Italia here in LA.

Quote:
Originally posted by jw
Anyone ever autocross w/ a steptronic?

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1 Supercharged E46 M54B25.
NASA TTD So Cal. Track blog: VSETrack

Old 01-06-2002, 05:00 PM
Raoul Duke

Mein Auto: Great Red Shark
Re: I did!!

Quote:
Originally posted by VinceTopasBlau3
Back in Nov last year with James Italia here in LA.

How did you do?
Old 01-06-2002, 05:08 PM

Re: Re: I did!!

Was my first event, hence my timing was quite poor. But I wasn't the last one in terms of overall positioning. But don't let the fact that we have steptronics and be discouraged to join the AutoX events. Shinobi (another board member here) has won a couple of AutoX awards with his step!

Check out his website:
http://shinobi.bmw330ci.com/Awards/default.htm

Quote:
Originally posted by jw

How did you do?

Old 01-06-2002, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Re: Re: Re: I did!!

Quote:
Originally posted by VinceTopasBlau3
Was my first event, hence my timing was quite poor. But I wasn't the last one in terms of overall positioning.
Did you leave it in SD, or did you shift yourself?

-Al
Old 01-06-2002, 05:48 PM
Addicted To Autocross

Mein Auto: 2001 Jet Black 330Ci
IMHO, Every BMW Driver Should Try It Once...

You really get to understand what a BMW is capable of and quite frankly its a blast. Thanks to Vince for making the reference to my site. I got to meet him at a recent AutoX event and have corresponded with him since.

As you can see, it is definitely possible to have fun Autocrossing in a Steptronic and most certainly possible to win. I've been successful with different configurations of my car (stock, R-compounds only, fully-modded ). I've tried driving in Sport and in Manual mode. My best success so far has been with just leaving it in Sport. Maybe that will change when I get the Tranny software.

It is also of my opinion that upgrading the driver is one of the cheapest and best mods you could ever make to your car. Don't forget though, that the local clubs here in CA at least, give preference to BMWCCA members driving Bimmers. Next to that, R-Compound tires by far give the biggest bang for the buck.

Here's another pic of an event at the Irwindale Speedway in CA. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have regarding AutoX.

Old 01-06-2002, 06:56 PM

here you are!

Shinobi is the one to ask about AutoXing!

Quote:
Originally posted by Shinobi
IMHO, Every BMW Driver Should Try It Once...

You really get to understand what a BMW is capable of and quite frankly its a blast. Thanks to Vince for making the reference to my site. I got to meet him at a recent AutoX event and have corresponded with him since.

As you can see, it is definitely possible to have fun Autocrossing in a Steptronic and most certainly possible to win. I've been successful with different configurations of my car (stock, R-compounds only, fully-modded ). I've tried driving in Sport and in Manual mode. My best success so far has been with just leaving it in Sport. Maybe that will change when I get the Tranny software.

It is also of my opinion that upgrading the driver is one of the cheapest and best mods you could ever make to your car. Don't forget though, that the local clubs here in CA at least, give preference to BMWCCA members driving Bimmers. Next to that, R-Compound tires by far give the biggest bang for the buck.

Here's another pic of an event at the Irwindale Speedway in CA. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have regarding AutoX.

Old 01-07-2002, 12:34 AM

Mein Auto: E46 330i
Yap, another Stepper autocrosser here. I'm just a rookie, but we have a senior driver who beats Integra R's w/ his auto E36 328i.
Old 01-07-2002, 12:35 AM

Mein Auto: E46 330i
BTW I use the M mode and w/ DSC off (fun fun fun!).
Old 01-07-2002, 03:52 AM
stuck in the 70's

Mein Auto: 1970 MGB
I have autocrossed before in a number of different vehicles, both manual and auto trans. Recently, I won an autocross in November '01 with a 330i step. The transmission was set to sport mode. Every enthusiast should try it - it is a blast, very safe (much less risky than lapping), and really demonstrates the performance capabilities of your car.