Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 AM
is customizing his 550i

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xDrive DGII
iPhone 4s disconnecting from adapter cradle

Just picked up my 2012 550i xDrive on Friday. I have iPhone adapter cradle and an iPhone 4S. I am having trouble listening to music on the iPhone when it is in the cradle. It works for between 1 minute and up to 10 minutes and then I hear the sound from the phone like it is being disconnected from charging and the iPhone disappear's from iDrive.
I have the BMW Connected app installed on the iPhone and that connects ok (but disconnects when this problem happens), bluetooth works good and I also tested hooking up iPhone with USB/audio cable from last BMW and that works good (except no album artwork or BMWapps access).

I updated the USB software to 3.5.4 yesterday and thought that may fix the problem, but it is back today, works perfect for a few minutes and then disconnects. Am I doing something wrong, defective cradle or an update i'm missing? I also tried re seating the cradle and iPhone multiple times. My service dept. and CA technology tech are researching what the problem might be.
Current: 2012 550i xDrive | Dinan Stage II | DGMetallic II | Black Nappa | Anthracite | Convenience | Cold Weather | Driver Assistance | Luxury Seating | M Sport | Premium Sound | ARS | Paddles | Active Cruise | Ceramic | BMW Apps

Current: 2012 X3 2.8 | Space Gray
Retired: 2009 535i xDrive | Jet Black
Retired: 2009 X3 Jet Black
Retired: 2007 530xi | Monaco Blue
Retired: 2003 530i | Sterling Gray
BMWCCA:458650

Last edited by scuzzlebutt; 03-06-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2012, 08:49 AM
MPowered RPh

Mein Auto: '11 M3 Comp & '12 528Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzzlebutt View Post
Just picked up my 2012 550i xDrive on Friday. I have iPhone adapter cradle and an iPhone 4S. I am having trouble listening to music on the iPhone when it is in the cradle. It works for between 1 minute and up to 10 minutes and then I hear the sound from the phone like it is being disconnected from charging and the iPhone disappear's from iDrive.
I have the BMW Connected app installed on the iPhone and that connects ok (but disconnects when this problem happens), bluetooth works good and I also tested hooking up iPhone with USB/audio cable from last BMW and that works good (except no album artwork or BMWapps access).

I updated the USB software to 3.5.4 yesterday and thought that may fix the problem, but it is back today, works perfect for a few minutes and then disconnects. Am I doing something wrong, defective cradle or an update i'm missing? I also tried re seating the cradle and iPhone multiple times. My service dept. and CA technology tech are researching what the problem might be.
I had same problem in my M3 - took 4 different ones before they found one that worked. My SA said that the snap in connectors have about a 40 percent failure rate. I'm taking one with my on my 5 series ED this coming July and I made them try it before I left the dealership with one. The second one worked heheheh. Just get your SA to pull a few (mine did) and use your phone and just keep trying till one works.
good luck!
Mike

'12 528i xDrive/Mohave/Beige/Premium/gadgets

'11 M3 - Coupe/Space Gray/Black/Aluminum/Comp/Conv/Cold/Prem2/CF all around
Old 03-01-2012, 01:22 PM
is customizing his 550i

Back from service appointment with new cradle and everything worked all the way home , according to the SA the only thing they did was replace the adapter cradle.
Current: 2012 550i xDrive | Dinan Stage II | DGMetallic II | Black Nappa | Anthracite | Convenience | Cold Weather | Driver Assistance | Luxury Seating | M Sport | Premium Sound | ARS | Paddles | Active Cruise | Ceramic | BMW Apps

Old 03-06-2012, 08:20 AM
is customizing his 550i

Not Resolved, the dealership replaced the media cradle with an older version 2.0 (originally had 3.0) which resolved the connecting and disconnecting issue. However, now after about 30 minutes of driving the iPhone gets so hot that it says "Temperature....iPhone needs to cool down before you can use it." The phone felt like it was going to melt it was so hot. I have an appointment on Thursday to fix a peel in my clear bra so they are going to try another cradle.

I have been searching the forum and found that if you use the standard white Apple USB charging cable and plug it into the USB port it does everything cradle does except give antenna boost. Is that all I would be missing? if so I might dump the cradle.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Quote:
Not Resolved, the dealership replaced the media cradle with an older version 2.0 (originally had 3.0) which resolved the connecting and disconnecting issue. However, now after about 30 minutes of driving the iPhone gets so hot that it says "Temperature....iPhone needs to cool down before you can use it." The phone felt like it was going to melt it was so hot. I have an appointment on Thursday to fix a peel in my clear bra so they are going to try another cradle.

I have been searching the forum and found that if you use the standard white Apple USB charging cable and plug it into the USB port it does everything cradle does except give antenna boost. Is that all I would be missing? if so I might dump the cradle.
Not sure if you are interested in this feature but another thing that the cradle does that the USB cable doesn't is video playback. If I'm not mistaken, the cradle also gives you a better iPod interface than the cable, however, I don't think the iPod interface with the cable is bad.

Edit- someone in the 6er Forum claimed to have gotten YouTube and Netflix to work with the cradle.

Last edited by Itinj6; 03-06-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:01 AM
is customizing his 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
Not sure if you are interested in this feature but another thing that the cradle does that the USB cable doesn't is video playback. If I'm not mistaken, the cradle also gives you a better iPod interface than the cable, however, I don't think the iPod interface with the cable is bad.

Edit- someone in the 6er Forum claimed to have gotten YouTube and Netflix to work with the cradle.
I just tested and you are correct, also the iPod Plugin does not work.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 650i xDrive
My iPhone 4 gets pretty hot after a while of using it as an iPod or with the Pandora App, but (knock on wood) it hasn't overheated yet. Of course I'm in a northern climate.

Even so, here is what I would do:

Make sure you have other apps closed out and are running iOS 5.01.

You can close other apps by tapping the main phone button twice. The apps will appear at the bottom of the screen. Hold your finger over one of them for a couple seconds and they'll become "active" (wiggly with an X on them). Then just tap the x on each one to close. This will conserve memory, CPU, and therefore battery and heat on your phone.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:43 AM
is customizing his 550i

I'm running 5.0.1 and all apps are closed. It even gets hot if all apps are closed including BMW Connected.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive, C4S cab
The latest cradle has a fan to keep it cool or should say cooler - it gets quite warm. Original cradles without fan were pulled due to the heat build up I believe.

There can be a seating issue between the cradle and the console in my experience breaking the electrical contact. Make sure it is fully seated and avoid the cradle release when releasing the phone.

That said I've heard others with the issue and having to getting a replacement cradle. Good Luck
Old 03-07-2012, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i Msport
Quote:

What's up Scuzz,

Completely off subject I know, but I ordered a vehicle very similar to yours (DGII 550i) and I am just curious as to your opinion on how the clear bra looks on the car. How's the clarity? I see that you have to get a peel fixed, was that due to a bad install?
Old 03-07-2012, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 650i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH512 View Post
The latest cradle has a fan to keep it cool or should say cooler - it gets quite warm. Original cradles without fan were pulled due to the heat build up I believe.

There can be a seating issue between the cradle and the console in my experience breaking the electrical contact. Make sure it is fully seated and avoid the cradle release when releasing the phone.

That said I've heard others with the issue and having to getting a replacement cradle. Good Luck
Great point! I wasn't aware the older cradles didn't have a fan. I drove for several hours today and the phone was quite hot, but continued to work fine.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:00 PM
is customizing his 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkthght View Post
What's up Scuzz,

Completely off subject I know, but I ordered a vehicle very similar to yours (DGII 550i) and I am just curious as to your opinion on how the clear bra looks on the car. How's the clarity? I see that you have to get a peel fixed, was that due to a bad install?
The clear bra is mostly invisible, most people don't even notice it except for a line that goes across the middle of the hood. I will try to post a picture of that later tonight. The problem I am getting fixed is a small area around the drivers side radar sensor, it's an install issue. From what I can tell the installer did not stretch the film enough and it has a bubble/roll right over the sensor area that is starting to peel. I will also post a picture that shows what I am trying to describe.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:19 PM
is customizing his 550i

Sorry for the delay. Here is a pic of the problem spot that they fixed and the line you can kind of see on the hood. You really have to get in the right light and angle to see it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1331324304.794801.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	315783   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1331324320.425934.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	315784