Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335 ix
Sunroof explosion

Well, after 3 months owning my 335, I get my first meeting with the awesome service department of my local dealership.

I was driving to work, about 50mph in traffic, when I suddenly hear a huge explosion right above my head. I looked in the rear view mirror and glass is falling all over the place. I pulled over to the shoulder to find out my sunroof had shattered.

When I brought it to the dealership, they stated it should be covered under warranty (as long as they don't find any damage nearby), and they mentioned they had just replaced another sunroof with the same problem. I go to pick up my loaner, and the rep there says they have people who've been driving and the back window just blows out..... is this a common occurance in BMWs? Seems pretty dangerous. I'm just glad I had the interior sunroof visor shut, otherwise I would have been covered in glass.

Anyways, I was super impressed with the service department. They had a loaner waiting for me... drove up, dropped off, and picked up the loaner in less than 10 minutes.
Ads by Google
Old 02-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
The general consensus is that "exploding" sunroofs are most likely caused by debris hitting the sunroof while driving. It's great they'll cover this under warranty, but many have had issues getting this covered under warranty, since it's really not caused by a manufacturing defect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 02-28-2012, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Happy to hear you were not hurt by the glass.
dhc3
Old 02-28-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
The general consensus is that "exploding" sunroofs are most likely caused by debris hitting the sunroof while driving. It's great they'll cover this under warranty, but many have had issues getting this covered under warranty, since it's really not caused by a manufacturing defect.
I guess we'll see whether it's covered or not (I am definitely hopeful, since he said the last time he saw this it was covered).

I don't quite understand why you would state "it's really not caused by a manufacturing defect". As an engineer, I know that often manufacturers will receive inferior raw materials, or there is a problem in the manufacturing process that may not be noticed when it initially occurs, allowing inferior parts to leave the plant. Maybe when the glass was installed it was done incorrectly, causing excessive tension on the glass?

Now, could it have been caused by an object hitting it? I dunno, how often do you get rock chips on your roof? I think it would be very unlikely. Also, I definitely didn't see any debris coming at me, and I wasn't going under an overpass. So based on that, I would think it is likely a manufacturing defect, either in the glass itself or how it was installed.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorchpa View Post
I guess we'll see whether it's covered or not (I am definitely hopeful, since he said the last time he saw this it was covered).

I don't quite understand why you would state "it's really not caused by a manufacturing defect". As an engineer, I know that often manufacturers will receive inferior raw materials, or there is a problem in the manufacturing process that may not be noticed when it initially occurs, allowing inferior parts to leave the plant. Maybe when the glass was installed it was done incorrectly, causing excessive tension on the glass?

Now, could it have been caused by an object hitting it? I dunno, how often do you get rock chips on your roof? I think it would be very unlikely. Also, I definitely didn't see any debris coming at me, and I wasn't going under an overpass. So based on that, I would think it is likely a manufacturing defect, either in the glass itself or how it was installed.
Just search on here for "exploding sunroof" and read the threads. It's been beaten to death that tempered glass is highly unlikely to end up in a car if it has a manufacturing defect.

If you want, I can show you how the roof right before my sunroof looks after 40k miles of driving. I know for a fact that my sunroof has been subjected to debris and as is the case with tempered glass, if you hit it just right, it'll burst very quickly.

I'm glad you did not get hurt and even better news if it is covered under warranty.

Quote:
Old 02-28-2012, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: '08 328xi
Was it tilted at the time?

I am so worried this will happen to me.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Just search on here for "exploding sunroof" and read the threads. It's been beaten to death that tempered glass is highly unlikely to end up in a car if it has a manufacturing defect.

If you want, I can show you how the roof right before my sunroof looks after 40k miles of driving. I know for a fact that my sunroof has been subjected to debris and as is the case with tempered glass, if you hit it just right, it'll burst very quickly.

I'm glad you did not get hurt and even better news if it is covered under warranty.
I've been looking, and it definitely seems hit or miss as to whether or not warranty will cover it. I guess it would still be covered by insurance if not.

As I was thinking about it though, yesterday was the first time that I recall opening the sunroof (since I bought the car in November). I wonder if that might have had something to do with it.... didn't seat back properly when I closed it or something to that extent. hmmm
Old 02-28-2012, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
I've been looking, and it definitely seems hit or miss as to whether or not warranty will cover it. I guess it would still be covered by insurance if not.

As I was thinking about it though, yesterday was the first time that I recall opening the sunroof (since I bought the car in November). I wonder if that might have had something to do with it.... didn't seat back properly when I closed it or something to that extent. hmmm
The are few post over Audi forums of explosion of sunroof under low temperature (-10C).
Glad you OK - sound to my like glass was under pressure from not proper installation and just get "tired" and exploded - this happen not only to automotive glass - any glass.

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT
Old 02-28-2012, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 3series
Sunroofs are nice. Should not be a problem. Really strange. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i coupe stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley View Post
Sunroofs are nice. Should not be a problem. Really strange. Good luck!
I think flowers smell pretty, too.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M6
Who pays to dry clean your shorts?
Old 02-28-2012, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
Quote:

Do you have any photos of the breakage?
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 02-28-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySL View Post
Do you have any photos of the breakage?
No pics.... But essentially the entire sunroof just shattered into thousands of pieces.

Good news is that the dealership called back and is fixing it under warranty.... Now I just have to drive the loaner for a couple of days.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG Hyundai View Post
Was it tilted at the time?

I am so worried this will happen to me.
Nope... It was closed at the time
Old 02-28-2012, 06:33 PM

You weren't showered in glass?
It all blew out behind you?

Not even in the back seat?

Craziness!!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONNYCHIRO View Post
You weren't showered in glass?
It all blew out behind you?

Not even in the back seat?

Craziness!!!!
Luckily I had the screen across the sunroof, so none of the glass came inside...

... not only is my local dealer replacing it under warranty, but also a full detail! I love BMW Service!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:37 PM
California Über Alles

Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT
Quote:
Luckily I had the screen across the sunroof, so none of the glass came inside...

... not only is my local dealer replacing it under warranty, but also a full detail! I love BMW Service!
Take a moment to leave a nice note about your dealer in the Dealer Feedback forum. And free dealership details sometimes do more harm than good to your paint.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Quote:

Hate to have to disagree with my friend cwinter, but it probably is a manufacturing defect. It has happened to a fairly large number of 'festers.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:00 PM

All's Well!

Glad it worked out for you!
Old 02-29-2012, 02:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

I was driving to work, about 50mph in traffic, when I suddenly hear a huge explosion right above my head. I looked in the rear view mirror and glass is falling all over the place. I pulled over to the shoulder to find out my sunroof had shattered.
I personally am waiting for my entire top to disengage, like separating stages of a Saturn V.

As an E93 owner, I'm all too aware of BMW's strict policy of no top up/down operation at any speed.

Gusty winds are bad enough - - allowing the top to act as a 'scoop' at even low speed has potential to snap the frame at the base, transforming the amazing $20K folding top into a high tech kite, heavy window glass acting like a 'tail,' curved aluminum as high performance airfoils.

True, there's little chatter on the problem, as those who have paid the premium for BMW's Engineering Master Work are loath to admit the trauma of Sudden Nonauthorized Articulation Pirouettation (SNAP).

Some governments have actually enabled SNAP for agents needing ejection of themselves or passengers at speed.

It is suspected that 'exploding sunroof' syndrome is no more than an inadvertant pre-ejection sunroof function, initiated by a special series of control stalk and button activations. Thus, your problem is a warranty item under covert National Security rules, though there will be no mention of same.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 02-29-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:38 AM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Some governments have actually enabled SNAP for agents needing ejection of themselves or passengers at speed.

well, that just blew my cover.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
well, that just blew my cover.
Name:  giggle.gif
Views: 544
Size:  1.8 KB

Good morning Kat!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Hate to have to disagree with my friend cwinter, but it probably is a manufacturing defect. It has happened to a fairly large number of 'festers.
Interesting. I recall this certainly coming up from time to time (often people posting for the first time and never returning) and it seems that most of these get pushed aside as something must have hit the glass. I don't recall this being a huge issue though.

Again, I'm just summarizing what I recall having read, and two items come to mind:

1) Someone explained how this glass is made and shipped to the final destination for installation, and I recall that it was indication that if the glass had a manufacturing defect, the shipping and installation process would already break it. If tempered glass has a weak spot, it usually leads to failure very quickly. This would count against the theory of a manufacturing defect.

2) I recall someone explaining how difficult it is to break tempered glass on purpose. This I guess would be a counter argument to something just hitting it at speed.

In any case, good thing the OP didn't get hurt and it appears the dealership is taking care of it.

Quote:
Old 02-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
The problem BMW has is what caused the moonroof to shatter ? If they replace under warranty everyone who had a rock hit the glass would want a warranty replacement. If I remember correctly in other threads BMW would not replace under warranty. In Florida auto glass is replaced by the insurance company at no cost to the owner.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )
Old 02-29-2012, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
By replacing the moonroof under warranty, does BMW not agree it was a manufacture defect? It would be very difficult to argue the glass was shattered by a flying object, because one would also agree, for safety reasons the moonroof should not shatter under normal highway driving conditions, when debris hitting various parts of the car is the norm, not exception.