Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ~
Definitely not iThingee lossless.

I recall that you can play wav files from USB, but I believe only compressed formats can be imported.

I have little interest in car audio and thus have done little experimenting.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Ah, too bad. Thanks for the info.

Can anyone tell me whether the hard drive still sounds like ass?

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 PM

On my brief test, a compressed file off of the HD sounds the same as the same compressed file off of USB.

A CD ripped to the hard drive sounds dreadful, as one expects of a data compressed file (I have zero tolerance for MP3s, etc. regardless of bit rate; the artifacts are intolerable. YMMV)

I do not own an iThingee to compare, but I expect the car's DAC to be at least as competent as that on a portable unit. Thus, the sound produced by digital-in is probably better than direct line-in.

If the issue is important to you, bring a USB drive of selected files and a CD or two to the dealer and try out the system. It is all straightforward and in the relative quiet of a show room you can readily make judgments.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:11 AM
Playin' With Your Head

By "digital-in", do you mean the hard rive, and by "direct line-in", do you mean plug in device, e.g., iPod?

Old 01-09-2013, 03:52 PM

Not quite.

In paragraph three of my post I am comparing:
1) the digital out of an iThingee to the car's digital input (the car's DAC decodes the digital stream and creates the analog signal) to the
2 iThingee's analog out to the car's analog line-in (where you are thus listening to the analog output of the iThingee's DAC).
Old 01-10-2013, 08:31 AM
Playin' With Your Head

I have another question:

On my 2009 hard drive, when I loaded up albums, instead of ordering the songs by track number, it orders them alphabetically. I value the integrity of album track order as being what the artist and record company intended, so I want to maintain that, but I could not find a way to fix that on the 2009. So I ended up renaming the tracks to include the track number in the title.

Is that fixed for 2013? Do they order the track by track number now?

Old 01-10-2013, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
I have another question:

On my 2009 hard drive, when I loaded up albums, instead of ordering the songs by track number, it orders them alphabetically. I value the integrity of album track order as being what the artist and record company intended, so I want to maintain that, but I could not find a way to fix that on the 2009. So I ended up renaming the tracks to include the track number in the title.

Is that fixed for 2013? Do they order the track by track number now?
No. I recently downloaded music to the HDD from USB flash drives and just over the past couple of days have had a chance to work with them, while on our 382xi's maiden road trip. Song ordering is alpha by title. Further, to your comment about including the track number in the file name to have your '09 order the songs differently, this does not work on the '13. I have albums with the file name format being; 01 title, 02 - title, etc., and it still orders the songs alpha by title. These files have the title, track number, album, etc. in the file tags and the system correctly displays the title from the tag info plus it finds the album and genre info from the tags. Curious that it does not read, or at least does not use, the track number tag for the play order.

It's not a big deal, but there are some albums in which the song order is of significance and it would be nice to have the system use the track number ordering. Anyone know if this can be done and how?
Old 01-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Playin' With Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
No. I recently downloaded music to the HDD from USB flash drives and just over the past couple of days have had a chance to work with them, while on our 382xi's maiden road trip. Song ordering is alpha by title. Further, to your comment about including the track number in the file name to have your '09 order the songs differently, this does not work on the '13. I have albums with the file name format being; 01 title, 02 - title, etc., and it still orders the songs alpha by title. These files have the title, track number, album, etc. in the file tags and the system correctly displays the title from the tag info plus it finds the album and genre info from the tags. Curious that it does not read, or at least does not use, the track number tag for the play order.
On my 2009, I didn't rename the file name. I renamed the track name. Two different things, and it worked for me when I did that.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i F30
Quote:

It's not a big deal, but there are some albums in which the song order is of significance and it would be nice to have the system use the track number ordering. Anyone know if this can be done and how?
So if I load an album and select to play that album, it is going to play the songs in order of the track name and not track number? Does this happen if you play a playlist of that album?

If this is the case, that completely sucks and I can't believe more people have not complained about this. There is no setting in iDrive about what the play order is?

Last edited by dzaborn; 01-10-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 F30 320d msport
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-12 18.09.14.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	357271

my euro spec F31 has 20GB...
Old 01-13-2013, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronek View Post
Attachment 357271

my euro spec F31 has 20GB...
So does my AH3. The NBT nav gives you 20GB
Old 01-13-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzaborn View Post
So if I load an album and select to play that album, it is going to play the songs in order of the track name and not track number? Does this happen if you play a playlist of that album?

If this is the case, that completely sucks and I can't believe more people have not complained about this. There is no setting in iDrive about what the play order is?
From my experience to date that is correct, and is consistent with what chasfh reported (he added the track number to the beginning of the track name to have iDrive play the correct order, further confirming the sort is on the track name).

I have not come across iDrive having the ability to use a playlist for the HDD media, only when accessing an iPod via the USB port.

It is a clear oversite if not an outright error in the programming of iDrive that is does not sort the HDD media play order according to the track number tag.

Last edited by MotoWPK; 01-13-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i F30
Quote:
From my experience to date that is correct, and is consistent with what chasfh reported (he added the track number to the beginning of the track name to have iDrive play the correct order, further confirming the sort is on the track name).

I have not come across iDrive having the ability to use a playlist for the HDD media, only when accessing an iPod via the USB port.

It is a clear oversite if not an outright error in the programming of iDrive that is does not sort the HDD media play order according to the track number tag.
thanks for your response.

Does playing in order of track name instead of track number only occur when playing from the HDD or does it also happen during playback via a USB stick?
Old 01-13-2013, 04:18 PM

Good question. Shortly after taking delivery I tried playing of a USB drive, but did not take note of the song play order. Once I became familiar with being able to load content onto the HDD, I have used that method for my song library (convenient in that you don't have to plug anything in - also briefly tried playing from an iPod, so know it does recognize the playlists).

I would guess it treats files on a USB drive in the same manner as files copied from the USB drive to the HDD. It wouldn't surprise me that it's different playing off an iPod as I suspect it takes info like the play order from the iPod rather than iDrive sorting itself.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30, 704 SS option
Buy a few 32/64GB flash drives, rip your CDs onto them in WAV format and you'll enjoy lossless audio and not have to worry about compression artifacts or crummy MP3 sound. You can get about 40 CDs on a 32GB flash drive. I'm not sure if the Beemers can handle them, but I saw 128GM flash drives today.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:30 AM
Playin' With Your Head

I did a search for this on the forum and couldn't find it, so hoping someone here knows:

Can you play MP3s and equivalents, already burned on a disc, through the CD Player?

Old 02-18-2013, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 F30 320d msport
Quote:
I did a search for this on the forum and couldn't find it, so hoping someone here knows:

Can you play MP3s and equivalents, already burned on a disc, through the CD Player?
yes
Old 02-18-2013, 10:06 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronek View Post
yes
That's great. Then I can put a whole bunch of high quality MP3s on re-writable DVDs, which hold over four GB of data, and keep them in the car as another alternative.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
Quote:
That's great. Then I can put a whole bunch of high quality MP3s on re-writable DVDs, which hold over four GB of data, and keep them in the car as another alternative.
Correct, it should be able to read the DVDs and you can transfer over...but I doubt these speakers have the resolution for you to notice the difference between lossless and 160kbps type music rips...
Old 02-19-2013, 05:21 AM
Playin' With Your Head

What makes you think 160kbps is the top end?

Old 02-19-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
What makes you think 160kbps is the top end?
I didn't say that.

Larger question for group, I've connected my iPod to the glovebox USB, I can't seem to determine how to rip from it...under music collection, it doesn't pull up. Under external devices, it's not recognized...any thoughts?

When I've ripped from CD's, the option just pops up....
Old 02-19-2013, 08:19 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneil View Post
I didn't say that.
Fine, then let's broaden the question.

Do you believe that 160 is the highest bit rate one should play in the car, and that everything above that is a waste? Do you believe the difference between lossless and 128 would be discernible in a way that lossless vs. 160 is not?

Old 02-19-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Fine, then let's broaden the question.

Do you believe that 160 is the highest bit rate one should play in the car, and that everything above that is a waste? Do you believe the difference between lossless and 128 would be discernible in a way that lossless vs. 160 is not?
Let me ask you a question:
Can you tell a difference between 128 and 160?

My hearing is reasonable, and I certainly can only tell the difference between 128 and lossless from my personal tests.

Given the lack of room on the BMW HDD, the wind noise at the speeds I frequently travel at (80-90mph), I'm inclined to keep it at the 128 range and enjoy more music.

But listening quality is as personal as the music one is listening to IMO...
Old 02-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
On my 2010 535i I could transfer the music from the USB Flash Drive to the Hard Drive. Will I be able to do the same thing on the F30? I haven't seen anything in the manual about it. TIA
cheers
vern
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneil View Post
Let me ask you a question:
Can you tell a difference between 128 and 160?

My hearing is reasonable, and I certainly can only tell the difference between 128 and lossless from my personal tests.

Given the lack of room on the BMW HDD, the wind noise at the speeds I frequently travel at (80-90mph), I'm inclined to keep it at the 128 range and enjoy more music.

But listening quality is as personal as the music one is listening to IMO...
Fair enough.