Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-28-2015, 12:17 AM
kskane's Avatar
kskane kskane is online now
From DownUnder
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 999
Mein Auto: '04 525i M54 with 6HP19Z
Dent

Guys, I have the attached dent on my car, will this tool do the job to pull it out without damaging the car?
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...ecommendations
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dent.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	536065  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 10-28-2015, 12:30 AM
rkilpa rkilpa is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Victorville, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 100
Mein Auto: '09 550i / '05 330ci ZHP
Don't waste your money on DIY dent removal products. They don't work unless the dent is just right and would pop out on its own if bumped from behind. Your dent is NOT just right.

You need "paintless dent repair" or PDR. As long as there is no damaged paint, the PDR technicians can fix it. That area is easily accessible when the wheel liner is removed.

You can usually find a good one employed by a car dealership. Just call around and see if you can get a referral.

Expect to pay between $75-$125 to make it look like it was never there.....far cheaper than a body shop, and your paint will always match because there is no paintwork.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-31-2015, 07:33 AM
kskane's Avatar
kskane kskane is online now
From DownUnder
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 999
Mein Auto: '04 525i M54 with 6HP19Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkilpa View Post
Don't waste your money on DIY dent removal products. They don't work unless the dent is just right and would pop out on its own if bumped from behind. Your dent is NOT just right.

You need "paintless dent repair" or PDR. As long as there is no damaged paint, the PDR technicians can fix it. That area is easily accessible when the wheel liner is removed.

You can usually find a good one employed by a car dealership. Just call around and see if you can get a referral.

Expect to pay between $75-$125 to make it look like it was never there.....far cheaper than a body shop, and your paint will always match because there is no paintwork.
Contacted the best PDR in sydney, they responded negative that they cant fix this dent as there is not enough room to push it with tools. Is that true?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-31-2015, 11:47 PM
rkilpa rkilpa is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Victorville, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 100
Mein Auto: '09 550i / '05 330ci ZHP
Well I'm not a PDR technician, so if the best guy says it can't be done.....

However, if the tire was removed and the wheel liner was removed, too, I don't know how there couldn't be enough room to work.

Also, I didn't catch that you were down under, so I wouldn't know how much they charge or how knowledgeable the PDR guys are there.

I'd look for a 2nd or 3rd opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-01-2015, 12:23 AM
kskane's Avatar
kskane kskane is online now
From DownUnder
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 999
Mein Auto: '04 525i M54 with 6HP19Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkilpa View Post
Well I'm not a PDR technician, so if the best guy says it can't be done.....

However, if the tire was removed and the wheel liner was removed, too, I don't know how there couldn't be enough room to work.

Also, I didn't catch that you were down under, so I wouldn't know how much they charge or how knowledgeable the PDR guys are there.

I'd look for a 2nd or 3rd opinion.
Precisely what I thought and asked the guy again, he replied if this was front it is easy, but not the rear. Anyway, I think I will try another opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-04-2015, 05:28 PM
kskane's Avatar
kskane kskane is online now
From DownUnder
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 999
Mein Auto: '04 525i M54 with 6HP19Z
Second Opinion confirmed that access to the back quarter panel is not possible from under. I can't believe it. Any thoughts or anyone with similar dent that might have got repaired with a PDR?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-04-2015, 09:34 PM
dharmabmw dharmabmw is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ottawa, Canada
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 181
Mein Auto: 2006 530Xi
You might have to take the fender liner off your self to check. Remove the wheel and take the 10 minutes to verify.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-04-2015, 09:55 PM
kskane's Avatar
kskane kskane is online now
From DownUnder
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 999
Mein Auto: '04 525i M54 with 6HP19Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmabmw View Post
You might have to take the fender liner off your self to check. Remove the wheel and take the 10 minutes to verify.
Can I remove the fender cover off easily at the back.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-05-2015, 01:20 AM
rkilpa rkilpa is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Victorville, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 100
Mein Auto: '09 550i / '05 330ci ZHP
It's an easy job. Just take your time.

-Remove the rear wheel
-Remove all the 8mm bolts that go up the front and back side of the liner (don't remember how many)
-Remove the two 10mm nuts that are at the back (behind where the wheel was) at the bottom.
-Remove the two 8mm bolts at the leading edge where the mud deflector attaches to the rocker panel.

When all fasteners are removed, the panel should be able to be worked out of the wheel well by pushing in and up.

When the liner is removed, you should be able to see the metal structure of the body. You should have access to where that dent is.

Even if the dent isn't visible due to a double panel or something, the PDR guys can drill into any inner panel to access the outer panel that has the dent. The hole in the inner panel would not be visible because it would be under the wheel well liner.

You might want to leave the liner off to show the PDR tech the access.

While you have the liner removed, you might as well clean out the sunroof drain that is prone to clogging. You'll see a little rubber plug at the upper rear of the wheel well. Remove it and run some weed trimmer line up the tube to your sunroof. (search clogged sunroof drain)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-05-2015, 05:14 AM
kskane's Avatar
kskane kskane is online now
From DownUnder
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 999
Mein Auto: '04 525i M54 with 6HP19Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkilpa View Post
It's an easy job. Just take your time.

-Remove the rear wheel
-Remove all the 8mm bolts that go up the front and back side of the liner (don't remember how many)
-Remove the two 10mm nuts that are at the back (behind where the wheel was) at the bottom.
-Remove the two 8mm bolts at the leading edge where the mud deflector attaches to the rocker panel.

When all fasteners are removed, the panel should be able to be worked out of the wheel well by pushing in and up.

When the liner is removed, you should be able to see the metal structure of the body. You should have access to where that dent is.

Even if the dent isn't visible due to a double panel or something, the PDR guys can drill into any inner panel to access the outer panel that has the dent. The hole in the inner panel would not be visible because it would be under the wheel well liner.

You might want to leave the liner off to show the PDR tech the access.

While you have the liner removed, you might as well clean out the sunroof drain that is prone to clogging. You'll see a little rubber plug at the upper rear of the wheel well. Remove it and run some weed trimmer line up the tube to your sunroof. (search clogged sunroof drain)
Definitely worth an attempt, if I find this drain from the sunroof, that will be worth pulling all the fender cover out. And if the rear fender panel can be accessed, then I really wish we had competent PDR's in Australia. Can't believe I have been palmed off by two of the best PDRs in Sydney, I don't really want to go into names here.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-05-2015, 05:24 AM
l1tech l1tech is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: AZ
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 614
Mein Auto: 09 528i
I've seen some pretty amazing work from pdr people but that looks like it is going to need more work than they are capable of doing.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms