Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
The Bimmerfest Long Term Review 328i goes to Turner Motorsport for Further Study

F30Driver Project 328i heads to TMS

A week after picking up the Bimmerfest long term review/project 328i in New Jersey we manage to put 900 miles on the odometer while trekking back to Massachusetts. Arriving back in MA early last week just in time to head to Turner Motorsport. TMS's facility in Amesbury, MA is 35,000 square feet of BMW heaven. In one location TMS packs a championship winning race team, Dynapack dyno, thousands of OEM and aftermarket parts and 4 service bays with factory trained techs. In a place that is use to rare an unique BMWs (they have frozen gray E92 M3 sitting outside) our project 328i in Melbourne Red still turned heads. We had a busy day planned with the F30 328i and after the initial buzz of having the F30 in the house died down we got to work.

2012 F30 328 on the Dynapack Dyno
It is common knowledge amongst BMW enthusiasts that BMW under rates their motors from the factory. Knowing what a car really puts down is key for real world shopping comparison of the F30 328i and the 335i. Plus it is fun to know what the motor is really putting down to the pavement and that's where the dyno comes in.

Tuner has Dynapack dyno system, unlike a rolling road style dyno (Dynojet or Mustang) a Dynapack bolts directly to the drive hubs in lieu of the wheels and the car weight sits on the "packs" (red boxes in the pictures/video). There are pros and cons to each system, Tuner has this style to tune race car. With the dyno rated to 1000HP and accustom to torture from TMS E92 M3 race cars I don't think our F30 328i set any dyno records, but we sure did beat the BMW factory rated numbers!

2012 328i F30 BMW on the dyno at Turner Motorsport

BMW rates the 4 cylinder turbo N20 engine in the 328i at 240hp and 260 ft-lbs of torque for the US. The N20 is the first 4 cylinder engine available from BMW for US cars in years. BMW knows they couldn't afford to screw up the engine in the bread and butter 328i, the most purchased configuration for the 3 series. It seems the engineers understood this and gave the N20 the required power and then some. After 12 dyno runs we got a best run of 250 horsepower and 275 ft-lbs of torque, and that is at the wheels! If we could dyno the engine at the flywheel we would have about 20% more power then BMW rates the motor for. To say that BMW has underrated the 328i horsepower and torque would be an understatement. This underrated power was most likely done to ensure that on paper the 335i reigns supreme in the power department.

F30 328i weight - 3367 pounds

What what does the F30 328i weigh?
With a big smile from the dyno runs it was on to find out how much the 328i weighs. Besides raw power number the next big performance number is power to weight. You can have 500 horsepower and get beat by someone with only 250 in a lighter car.

The nice thing about hanging out at a race shop is they have all these cool toys. TMS pulled out their race scales so we could figure out what our car weighs. There was a lot of apprehension around the shop about the weight. BMW has been packing on about 200 pounds for each new generation of car. If the F30 3 series grew another 200 lbs it was going to be hard to continue calling it a sports car.

BMW lists the curb weight for the 328i with a manual transmission at 3406 pounds but curb weights and real world weights are often worlds apart. I am happy to report that with 2.1 gallons of gas in the 328i it weight in at 3367 lbs. Not the lightest feather, but not a pig either. We weighed a E90 330i sedan for reference and with three quarters of a tank of gas it was just under 3400 lbs. Had both cars had the same gas the weights would have been just about even. Not bad considering the F30 328i is almost 4 inch longer then the E90 sedan.

Wheel fitment test on 2012 BMW 328i

Wheel Fitment Testing
One of the easiest ways to change the look of any car is swapping out the wheels. Ditching conservatively styled wheels and narrow tires for some aggressive wheels and wide tires can change the entire feel of the car. It is also a good opportunity to ditch the factory run-flats.

Properly sizing wheels and tires to a new car when you're upsizing the rim diameter and width and adding bigger tires can be challenging. To started narrowing down where we needed to be for sizes and offsets we tried a few different sets of 19" TMS has around. I had high hopes for the 19" E92 M3 Challenge wheels custom painted with a red ring that almost matched the car color. The fronts fit OK but when we put the rears on and lowered it down there was no way it was going to work, unless we were going for the truck look.

F30 Project 328i at Turner Motorsport

We tried a few more wheels and didn't find anything that was perfect but were able to get some number that will work for a set of 19" for the F30. We will be putting aftermarket 19"s on soon, stay tuned for exact fitments.

F30 Project 328i on lift

Up on the lift - We get under the F30
The final stop on our F30 exploration mission was on the lift. Despite many new things about the F30, on paper much of the F30 suspension was carried over from the E90. The F30 has a double joint strut suspension up front, the E90 has a double joint strut suspension up front. The F30 has a 5 link rear suspension, so does the E90. The real question was what about the suspension has changed. Oddly not much (detailed review coming soon), the control arms are beefed up in a few places and have slightly different bends here and there but I would guess in a pinch you could use an E90 suspension arm as a substitute in more then a few places. The most surprising was the use of steel in many places where the E90 benefited from aluminum. With BMW making so much effort in other places on the F30 to save weight using so much steel in the suspension and sub-frame was quite surprising. Was this cost savings, crash protection or something else has yet to be determined?

BMW F30 exhaust golf T mod

Continuing to poke around the underside of the F30 a few other interesting things stood out. Gone is the vacuum actuated exhaust valve, so no more "golf T mod". In its place is an electronic version, the life span on the valve was a big question mark for the techs at TMS.

2012 3 series variable sport steering rack option

Heading up to the front of the F30 328i there are two really interesting things. The variable sport steering rack has a absolutely massive motor on it, and it hangs down really low. The motor housing looks sturdy but the placement means it is going to take hits from anything you run over. Wonder what the car will be like with no power steering after running something over at 80 mph. Someone should make a guard for it, sounds silly but I bet after replacing one you won't want to risk paying for another one.

2012 F30 328i plastic oil pan

Just behind the steering rack is the other big surprise. The oil pain on the F30 N20 328i is plastic! It is likely a composite plastic of some sort but it has some give to it. Both the steering rack and oil pan have a large under tray cover over them but the cover is similar to a stiff felt, and only 3/16" thick at best. It is not the hard plastic cover you'd expect and isn't going to do much to absorb impacts. I could easily see something bouncing off the road right into the oil pan and cracking it. Unless you catch that right away, its game over for the engine.

There are another 10 or so interesting things that the TMS engineers pointed out about the suspension. We will have a complete F30 suspension and chassis review coming soon so stay tuned.

A BIG thanks to Turner Motorsport for the hospitality and use of their facilities. TMS has a F30 335i on the way so look for an in depth review of the TMS 335i soon.
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
awesome
Old 02-28-2012, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
awesome
I wonder during scheduled services they will now examine the oil pan and the steering motor for any impacts or conditions... And if it does get damaged by something, if the warranty will cover it ?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30owner View Post
I wonder during scheduled services they will now examine the oil pan and the steering motor for any impacts or conditions... And if it does get damaged by something, if the warranty will cover it ?
Has to. Its not like the owner modified it or anything, if it becomes a problem it would be more of an engineering error, tho im sure the material is hard enough to withstand some serious impact.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30owner View Post
I doubt the warranty would cover damage due to impact. But who knows...if it shows damage on too many cars they might be forced to do so. Maybe they'll start selling oil pan and steering motor insurance.

BTW, would the cars without the variable sport steering also have a similar design for the motor?

2014 328i / Liquid Blue / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 6 MT / Moonroof / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-16-2013
2003 325i / Gray Green / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 5 MT / Moonroof / 219K+ Miles / Bought 12-21-2002 / Sold 10-21-2013
1998 Civic EX / Vogue Silver / Gray / 4 DR / 5 MT / 122K+ Miles / Bought 12-30-1997 / Totaled 08-2002
1988 Sentra / Gray / Gray / 2 DR / 4 MT / 190K+ Miles / Bought 06-1994 @ 120K+ Miles / Died 12-1997
Old 02-28-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
The most surprising was the use of steel in many places where the E90 benefited from aluminum. With BMW making so much effort in other places on the F30 to save weight using so much steel in the suspension and sub-frame was quite surprising. Was this cost savings, crash protection or something else has yet to be determined?
I read somewhere (and this is probably speculation), that the aluminum parts in the E90 were solid, while the F30 uses hollow steel, and hence the weight difference is not that much. Regardless, I would be really interested in finding out why BMW chose to go a different path.

2014 328i / Liquid Blue / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 6 MT / Moonroof / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-16-2013
2003 325i / Gray Green / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 5 MT / Moonroof / 219K+ Miles / Bought 12-21-2002 / Sold 10-21-2013
1998 Civic EX / Vogue Silver / Gray / 4 DR / 5 MT / 122K+ Miles / Bought 12-30-1997 / Totaled 08-2002
1988 Sentra / Gray / Gray / 2 DR / 4 MT / 190K+ Miles / Bought 06-1994 @ 120K+ Miles / Died 12-1997
Old 02-28-2012, 11:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
I can't imagine that there would be warranty coverage for any kind of impact damage. That would be covered by insurance - comprehensive or collision, depending on the nature of the incident.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:21 AM

Mein Auto: '13 F30
If I crack my wheel because of a pothole, will it be covered under warranty? No. Accidents are not covered under warranty.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnosis View Post
If I crack my wheel because of a pothole, will it be covered under warranty? No. Accidents are not covered under warranty.
Exactly that is why neither BMW warranty nor insurance will cover any of the damage to the parts mentioned above. If enough people damage the above mentioned parts BMW may have a good will program that is hush hush though that may help customers repair the problem at a reduced cost.
2001 Mercedes Benz C320
2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
1997 BMW 540i
1991 Nissan 240SX
1990 Nissan Maxima
Old 02-29-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Yes, if you got the tire/rim warranty then its covered along with your tires. I always get it on my bmws and it usually pays for itself in the first year.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Yes, if you got the tire/rim warranty then its covered along with your tires. I always get it on my bmws and it usually pays for itself in the first year.
It's an insurance, not a warranty, right?

Old 02-29-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
idk to be honest, its on the contract in my trunk lol, i guess its an insurance, it covers rim and tire damage so lets say a nail finds its way into my tire, they replace it for free

rim damage too
Old 02-29-2012, 08:30 AM
Let me buya F31 335xi BMW

Mein Auto: 09 JCW, C43/55, 560SL, TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Just behind the steering rack is the other big surprise. The oil pain on the F30 N20 328i is plastic! It is likely a composite plastic of some sort but it has some give to it. Both the steering rack and oil pan have a large under tray cover over them but the cover is similar to a stiff felt, and only 3/16" thick at best. It is not the hard plastic cover you'd expect and isn't going to do much to absorb impacts. I could easily see something bouncing off the road right into the oil pan and cracking it. Unless you catch that right away, its game over for the engine.
Much thanx for the time spent on this.

Your focus on this is a good one. I'd be curious to see if it were to become much more brittle in extended sub-freezing or let alone sub-zero weather for example.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:35 AM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
Quote:
idk to be honest, its on the contract in my trunk lol, i guess its an insurance, it covers rim and tire damage so lets say a nail finds its way into my tire, they replace it for free rim damage too
Technically, it's called the "BMW Tire & Wheel Protection". It's stated as a "service contract" and not insurance or warranty. The two-fold brochure (BMTBWR 7/09) never mentions insurance or warranty. The two-page "BMW Tire & Wheel Protection Service Contract Limited Agreement Application" (BMTWSAVSC LZX 35034 Rev 5/09) doesn't mention insurance or warranty either.

Incidentally, in addition to the two-page application mentioned above, there is a three-page document (BMTWSAVSC Rev 5/09) that your dealer doesn't give you. The first two pages cover Claim Procedures, Non-Covered Expenses, Limited Agreement Exclusions, Arbitration Procedure, Cancellation Procedures, and Settlement. Page 3 has the State-Specific Amendments. The California Amendment replaces the entire Settlement section and says that this Agreement is guaranteed by a California approved insurance company, namely the Virginia Surety Company, in Chicago.

I obtained these additional pages by contacting the Safe-Guard Warranty Corporation ("Administrator") about a possible claim, although I already knew that the service contract was only applicable in North America and not in Europe.

Bottom line, the tires and wheels are not covered by the 4-year/50,000 warranty on the car and are only covered if you purchase the optional BMW Tire & Wheel Protection.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 02-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Turbos!!!!!!

Mein Auto: 535xi
For the plastic oil pan issue.. I don't see why an aftermarket Skid-Plate couldn't be bolted on for protection. Granted I haven't seen under one for a possible fit, but it's an option I would think.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post
Technically, it's called the "BMW Tire & Wheel Protection". It's stated as a "service contract" and not insurance or warranty. The two-fold brochure (BMTBWR 7/09) never mentions insurance or warranty. The two-page "BMW Tire & Wheel Protection Service Contract Limited Agreement Application" (BMTWSAVSC LZX 35034 Rev 5/09) doesn't mention insurance or warranty either.

Incidentally, in addition to the two-page application mentioned above, there is a three-page document (BMTWSAVSC Rev 5/09) that your dealer doesn't give you. The first two pages cover Claim Procedures, Non-Covered Expenses, Limited Agreement Exclusions, Arbitration Procedure, Cancellation Procedures, and Settlement. Page 3 has the State-Specific Amendments. The California Amendment replaces the entire Settlement section and says that this Agreement is guaranteed by a California approved insurance company, namely the Virginia Surety Company, in Chicago.

I obtained these additional pages by contacting the Safe-Guard Warranty Corporation ("Administrator") about a possible claim, although I already knew that the service contract was only applicable in North America and not in Europe.

Bottom line, the tires and wheels are not covered by the 4-year/50,000 warranty on the car and are only covered if you purchase the optional BMW Tire & Wheel Protection.
Thanks for the clarification, its $1000, but has been well worth it from my experience in the past.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:20 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Wow, great review and detailed feedback with pics! No wonder there's not that much difference in the suspension for the E9x vs the F30. Sad to hear that the parts they are using seem more on the side of lower cost vs higher quality for mass production.

I hope the 335i has better quality parts and hopefully that's carried over on the M Sport versions for both the 328i and 335i.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
Wow, great review and detailed feedback with pics! No wonder there's not that much difference in the suspension for the E9x vs the F30. Sad to hear that the parts they are using seem more on the side of lower cost vs higher quality for mass production.

I hope the 335i has better quality parts and hopefully that's carried over on the M Sport versions for both the 328i and 335i.
Thanks, glad you like the article. Was a lot of fun to spend the day at TMS!

Nothing says these parts are not up to the quality needed. Just because BMW figured out how to make the parts for less doesn't mean they're lesser quality. Steel is cheaper then aluminum, true, but it doesn't mean a steel link is going to hold the wheel in place any less effectively.

Doing a quick part number spot check on the F30 the front suspension and sub-frame are the same part number on both the 328i and 335i. In the rear it seems the 328i and 335i have different sub-frames (I'll get to the bottom of that one soon) but the suspension links are the same parts for both.

There is no reason to think any of the 3er sedan options/packages will change the suspension. Only the M3 will get upgraded parts is my guess.

Tim
Old 03-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Jimania

Mein Auto: 1997 528i Montreal Blue
Author - Good info, enjoyed the article. Excellent photos and details!

check the spelling of "Turner" in your title.)
Old 03-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the heads up

Tim