Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: X5d
2011 X5 35d - extended maintenance plan makes sense

Just bought a 2011 X5 35d. Before I purchased I sifted through a lot of useful information on this website, I really appreciate all the advice out there.

I have 47k miles and plan to buy the extended gold warranty. Based on what Ive read, I had no plans to purchase extended maintenance plan, until today. I called a reputable independent shop along with my dealer to get quotes on full brake jobs (pads and discs). They were about $300 apart which could be expected. The surprise to me, was this one (1) full brake job was about 75% of the cost I was quoted to buy the extended maintenance plan to 100k miles (with enough coverage in years for my driving habits).

I have to imagine I will replace discs and pads at least once in the next 50k miles. Combined with numerous oil changes, urea fills, fluid flushes, belt, even wiper blades I will no doubt more than make up that other 25% in the cost of the extended plan pretty quickly. Plus I can sleep better at night knowing my maintenance is covered for the next 50k+ miles except for tires and bulbs.

Buying the maintenance plan seems to go against most everything Ive read on the site, and on top of that I would classify myself as the self-insure / use an indy shop type of guy.

Am I missing something here or does it make sense to go for the extended maintenance plan when I purchase the extended warranty? Should I sell the car before it expires, I understand the extended warranty can be transferred for $50. I assume the same for the extended maintenance, but does anyone know? Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstewar View Post
Just bought a 2011 X5 35d. Before I purchased I sifted through a lot of useful information on this website, I really appreciate all the advice out there.

I have 47k miles and plan to buy the extended gold warranty. Based on what Ive read, I had no plans to purchase extended maintenance plan, until today. I called a reputable independent shop along with my dealer to get quotes on full brake jobs (pads and discs). They were about $300 apart which could be expected. The surprise to me, was this one (1) full brake job was about 75% of the cost I was quoted to buy the extended maintenance plan to 100k miles (with enough coverage in years for my driving habits).

I have to imagine I will replace discs and pads at least once in the next 50k miles. Combined with numerous oil changes, urea fills, fluid flushes, belt, even wiper blades I will no doubt more than make up that other 25% in the cost of the extended plan pretty quickly. Plus I can sleep better at night knowing my maintenance is covered for the next 50k+ miles except for tires and bulbs.

Buying the maintenance plan seems to go against most everything Ive read on the site, and on top of that I would classify myself as the self-insure / use an indy shop type of guy.

Am I missing something here or does it make sense to go for the extended maintenance plan when I purchase the extended warranty? Should I sell the car before it expires, I understand the extended warranty can be transferred for $50. I assume the same for the extended maintenance, but does anyone know? Thanks.
If BMW service determined that you need brakes (pads + rotors) and you have 47K miles and the car is a 2011, you should still be covered under the original manufacturers warranty!! That takes care of your brakes ... and anything else you can find before the original warranty is over.

Then the next question is: will you put 50K miles on the car in the next 2 years? If yes, by all means get both the maintenance and the EVP warranty, UNLESS the car is CPO'd ... is it? If it was CPO'd, when was this done? If in 2014, IT IS NOT TRANSFERABLE!

GL
BMWCCA #20645
Old 01-09-2014, 02:03 PM

thanks for the response. Car does not need any maintenance today. It has 3k miles and 9 months left on original warranty/maintenance plan. It was not a CPO, I bought it privately.

I'm very close to hitting 50k miles and just thinking ahead about the next 50k. I called for the brake quotes just to have a comparison. As of today, the computer says I need to go in for service next in 2,200 which is 500 miles shy of 50k. The computer says I need front brakes in 18k miles and rear in 30k miles (although I still don't understand how a computer can tell that).

I drive about 18-19k a year so tacking on another 2 years to the warranty and maintenance is actually about perfect timing for when I will hit 100k miles. I was really just trying to determine if I should pull the trigger on the extended maintenance plan, because based on my calculations above it sure seems like it will pay for itself. Really enjoying the car so far.

Last edited by Jstewar; 01-09-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi, M Sport,HUD
Quote:
thanks for the response. Car does not need any maintenance today. It has 3k miles and 9 months left on original warranty/maintenance plan. It was not a CPO, I bought it privately.

I'm very close to hitting 50k miles and just thinking ahead about the next 50k. I called for the brake quotes just to have a comparison. As of today, the computer says I need to go in for service next in 2,200 which is 500 miles shy of 50k. The computer says I need front brakes in 18k miles and rear in 30k miles (although I still don't understand how a computer can tell that).

I drive about 18-19k a year so tacking on another 2 years to the warranty and maintenance is actually about perfect timing for when I will hit 100k miles. I was really just trying to determine if I should pull the trigger on the extended maintenance plan, because based on my calculations above it sure seems like it will pay for itself. Really enjoying the car so far.
I would suggest to buy maintenance plan before you hit 50K. You will use every penny of it in my opinion.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:20 PM
Freude am Fahren

Good deal!

Shop on this forum for sponsors on the BMW maintenance plan and the EVP warranties (Pacific BMW is a good one!).
BMWCCA #20645
Old 01-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Agree, for you it will pay off.

HOWEVER, if you just had the pads and rotors done free by BMW under the 4/50k maintenance it would NOT pay off. You would have done 45k on originals, you would likely not get to the end of those new pads in next 2y9months...

It is why I always recommend "wait until you get to 49k and you know where YOU are at based on HOW you drive, etc"
Old 01-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Would you mind telling what you were quoted on the extended maintenance and front/rear brake pads and rotors? I am at 49,500 miles on my 2010 and it is still on original brake pads and rotors. Trying to figure if I should go with an extended maintenance. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbmw View Post
... I am at 49,500 miles on my 2010 and it is still on original brake pads and rotors. Trying to figure if I should go with an extended maintenance. Thanks!
49,500 mi on a 2010 ... and you don't need brakes? You won't get your money's worth, IMO.

Save your hard earned cash and invest it ... or take $100 and attend a class on how to change brakes pads and rotors ... or spend $100 on a beer party at your house and have someone who knows teach you ...
BMWCCA #20645
Old 01-09-2014, 06:00 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
49,500 mi on a 2010 ... and you don't need brakes? You won't get your money's worth, IMO.

Save your hard earned cash and invest it ... or take $100 and attend a class on how to change brakes pads and rotors ... or spend $100 on a beer party at your house and have someone who knows teach you ...
I think you are miscalculating...

he will surely need ONE set in the next 2 years or 50k miles.

HOWEVER, if you can change tires, you can do brakes...it is only slightly more complex, IMO. First time, 3,4 hours. $600 in parts front and rear.

Id rather do brakes than fluid brake fluid or ATF or differential- all mechanical, no need to be under the car....

A
Old 01-09-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Would you mind telling what you were quoted on the extended maintenance and front/rear brake pads and rotors? I am at 49,500 miles on my 2010 and it is still on original brake pads and rotors. Trying to figure if I should go with an extended maintenance. Thanks!

Check pm. So if most agree ext maintenance makes sense in my case, has anyone had trouble with bmw nickel and dimeing on anything? Also what are folks seeing on average cost wise for oil changes at the dealer? Just curious.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:20 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I think you are miscalculating...

he will surely need ONE set in the next 2 years or 50k miles.

A
My thinking: agreed on that one set of brakes, sometime in the next 50K miles, but NOT in the next 2 years, because he drove 49.5K in 4 years and doesn't need brakes yet!

To buy a maintenance plan primarily in anticipation of a set of brakes in the distant future is a total waste of money, IMO.

Plan terms are always: xx miles or xx months, whichever comes first ...
BMWCCA #20645
Old 01-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
My thinking: agreed on that one set of brakes, sometime in the next 50K miles, but NOT in the next 2 years, because he drove 49.5K in 4 years and doesn't need brakes yet!

To buy a maintenance plan primarily in anticipation of a set of brakes in the distant future is a total waste of money, IMO.

Plan terms are always: xx miles or xx months, whichever comes first ...
I know, but are you saying he is at 49.5k now and will get to, approx 75k and still not need brakes???
Old 01-09-2014, 07:33 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
has anyone had trouble with bmw nickel and dimeing on anything?
Oh god no.... there is nothing you can get from a BMW dealer for nickels and dimes.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:

Went to the garage and checked the iDrive info on the 2010. Rear brake pads in the next 24,000 miles and fronts in the next 50,000 miles. I can't imagine though that my fronts would last 100,000 miles. Thought I read somewhere that the sensor shows overly optimistic mileage number until the pads reach a certain thickness after which it rapidly declines.

I know, I know, I should learn how to do the brakes. Maybe one day...

Last edited by finnbmw; 01-09-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:06 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Went to the garage and checked the iDrive info on the 2010. Rear brake pads in the next 24,000 miles and fronts in the next 50,000 miles. I can't imagine though that my fronts would last 100,000 miles. Thought I read somewhere that the sensor shows overly optimistic mileage number until the pads reach a certain thickness after which it rapidly declines.

I know, I know, I should learn how to do the brakes. Maybe one day...
Wow.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:10 AM
Freude am Fahren

Let the attached MSRP on Extended Service Contracts (ESC) be a guide on whether you should buy ... Expect about a 30% discount or so from forum sponsors.

CORRECTION 1: After looking at it some more, I think that the attached ESC Coverage Guide price list is actually for the Extended Vehicle Protection (EVP) plan ... because the extended service/maintenance plan does not have the Platinum and Gold levels ... There is only one level and that is 2 years/50,000 miles. Anybody know???

CORRECTION 2: was thinking 30% discount on OE parts ... you won't get a 30% discount on these plans ... maybe a couple of hundred dollars off, maybe ...

My vote is "no" for any level of coverage, even with the discounts, if you're looking to get only a set of brakes out of it.

That's a lot of money to hand over to our "friends" at BMW ... with no assurance that they'll actually provide the service, unless you/the car meet certain "condition based" criteria (as recorded by key fob) ...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ESC_Coverage_Guide (with pricing).pdf (442.8 KB, 71 views)
BMWCCA #20645

Last edited by PAX5; 01-10-2014 at 10:34 AM. Reason: correction/clarification on plans and discount
Old 01-10-2014, 05:37 AM

Thanks! A 6 year/100 miles maintenance plan is $2,295 (MSRP). Assuming I would get both front and rear brakes done plus oil changes plus DEF I'd be close to even on cost. Is anything else covered? Transfer case fluid change?
Old 01-10-2014, 10:25 AM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Thanks! A 6 year/100 miles maintenance plan is $2,295 (MSRP). Assuming I would get both front and rear brakes done plus oil changes plus DEF I'd be close to even on cost. Is anything else covered? Transfer case fluid change?
That's about right ... here are the basic plan provisions. I've marked the cost biggies with * and **:

The BMW Maintenance Program

Posted on January 6, 2011
The BMW Maintenance Program is a U.S. specific program. It applies to eligible U.S. specification BMW vehicles purchased in the U.S. or through the BMW NA's Military Sales Program, and is valid only when repairs are performed at an authorized U.S. BMW center (including Puerto Rico), subject to all applicable exclusions or limitations.

The BMW Maintenance Program has two categories:

Standard Maintenance, as described below, is available on new BMW vehicles for the first 4 years or 50,000 miles from the original in-service date, whichever comes first.

The Upgraded Maintenance(1) option extends the Standard Maintenance period, when purchased, by an additional 2 years/50,000 miles to 6 years or 100,000 miles from the original in-service date, whichever comes first.

The factory-recommended maintenance service items listed below are covered when required at specified service intervals, on eligible BMW vehicles during the applicable BMW Maintenance Program period(2):

Engine oil change and filter replacement
Vehicle inspections or check (per the applicable service maintenance checklist)
Cabin dust microfilters - fresh air and recirculating(3)
Air filter replacement
*Brake pads (front/rear)
*Brake discs (front/rear - only in conjunction with a covered brake pad replacement)
Brake fluid replacement
**Engine drive belts
Windshield wiper inserts (front and rear(3))
Manual transmission clutch disc(3)
Manual transmission oil(3) (only in conjunction with an applicable engine oil and filter replacement)
*Spark plugs(4)
Oxygen sensors(4)
Fuel filter3 (diesel engines only)
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)(3) - refill both tanks (only in conjunction with an eligible engine oil and filter replacement)
Running-in check at 1,200 miles(3) (BMW M vehicles only, excluding the 1 Series M Coupe, X5 M and X6 M)
Reset the maintenance system

(CRITICAL) - A factory-recommended maintenance service item interval is determined either by the model-specific BMW Maintenance System (Service Interval Display or Condition Based Service), and/or upon examination and assessment for wear and tear(5) of covered components during a vehicle inspection.

BMW Maintenance Program Exclusions and Limitations

Repairs covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, BMW Certified Pre-Owned Program, Original Owner Protection Program, or a BMW Extended Service Contract
Damage due to poor fuel quality, abuse, misuse, neglect, alteration, fire, accident, and flood/water damage
Damage due to improper or lack of maintenance/repairs or negligence
The vehicle is deemed a total loss or used in competitive events
*Maintenance performed outside or beyond the scope of the recommended maintenance interval
*Covered maintenance services performed by other than an authorized BMW center in the United States and Puerto Rico
Covered maintenance services performed outside the United States and Puerto Rico

(1)Excluding the BMW ActiveHybrid and BMW Alpina B7 models
(2)Vehicles within the active Standard or Upgraded Maintenance Program period only
(3)Applicable models only
(4)Varies by model and model year; review your Service and Warranty booklet for model specific requirements
(5)As outlined in the applicable BMW Technical Data Information
BMWCCA #20645
Old 01-10-2014, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
..Combined with numerous oil changes, urea fills, fluid flushes, belt, even wiper blades I will no doubt more than make up that other 25% in the cost of the extended plan pretty quickly...
They'll probably make it up if you pay someone to do it; for a DIY'er, the costs would be
- oil change ~$100/ea
- air filters ~$20-$30/ea
- Brake fluid flush $15/ea (+~$50 for a bleeder if you don't own one)
- DEF ~$45 every 10K miles
- wipers - $20 on sale/reg. $30/pair on amazon

One thing that is worth paying someone to do is fuel filter (~$40/ea) as it's a b..ch to get to it w/o a lift or at least good ramps, plus even a drop of diesel fluid will stink up the place for days.

Last edited by smyles; 01-10-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
Is inspection II covered by extended maintenance plan (I think it is included - Vehicle inspections or check (per the applicable service maintenance checklist))? How much does it costs in average at dealer / indy? Do you have to do the inspection at dealer for future warranty claims under extended warranty?

WTB: spare tire kit
Old 01-10-2014, 01:04 PM
pay it forward

Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Agree, for you it will pay off.

HOWEVER, if you just had the pads and rotors done free by BMW under the 4/50k maintenance it would NOT pay off. You would have done 45k on originals, you would likely not get to the end of those new pads in next 2y9months...

It is why I always recommend "wait until you get to 49k and you know where YOU are at based on HOW you drive, etc"
I know I have asked you this before Ard, and you told me to post mileage, etc. when I get close to my freebie period ending (Oct 14) and I only have 24K on my 35i (its a 2011) and it looks like my closest due brake job is not for 10K more miles. I think I am going to sink my money into new summer tires and maybe buy a dedicated winter set up. I just wonder how 18's or 19's would look with the sport package (might have to get spacers). It costs a lot of money for 20' RFT rubber!
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Old 01-21-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
checked the iDrive info on the 2010. Rear brake pads in the next 24,000 miles and fronts in the next 50,000 miles. I can't imagine though that my fronts would last 100,000 miles. Thought I read somewhere that the sensor shows overly optimistic mileage number until the pads reach a certain thickness after which it rapidly declines.
Technician checked the pad thickness while I had the X5 in for its final service before the warranty runs out. Front pads are at 8 mm and rears at 9 mm. These are the original pads with almost 50,000 miles on them. I must drive like a Grandma

In all seriousness though, I am impressed with the OE pads. Normally I go through pads (especially the fronts) every 30-40k miles. Anybody know who the pad manufacturer was for the 2010 model year? Would it say on the pads?
Old 01-21-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Technician checked the pad thickness while I had the X5 in for its final service before the warranty runs out. Front pads are at 8 mm and rears at 9 mm. These are the original pads with almost 50,000 miles on them. I must drive like a Grandma

In all seriousness though, I am impressed with the OE pads. Normally I go through pads (especially the fronts) every 30-40k miles. Anybody know who the pad manufacturer was for the 2010 model year? Would it say on the pads?

I've only been driving the X5 for two weeks but I have noticed it uses engine braking a lot more than my previous car. ie. I feel the down shift all the time. I'm no car expert, but I have to think this probably helps extend the life of the pads?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
but I have to think this probably helps extend the life of the pads?
and reduce the life of the transmission
Old 01-22-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
and reduce the life of the transmission
I assume everyone's has pretty significant downshifting similar to mine?