Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 02-29-2012, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740i
Need some info, 97 740i

So I bought a 97 740i last week, and I would like to upgrade the sound system. I would like to upgrade the deck and add a single sub if possible, and down the line maybe the speakers and a speaker amp.
Ive done a bit of reading and have seen some conflicting reports on what works and what doesn't. Does anyone have a good diagram on how the sound system is hooked up and how everything integrates with I-BUS?
My car has the 6 disc changer, and DSP button. The main thing I would like to know is how the deck sends signal to the factory amp and speakers, from what I have read, the main volume control interfaces through I-BUS straight to the amp rather than altering rca voltages, is this correct?
The previous owner supplied me with a harness that takes the speaker outs from the new deck and splices them right into RCA connectors, but I don't see how that would work with the volume control already in the car. Would the stock volume control and the new deck volume control both be controlling volume in this case unless the pre outs from the deck were set to a fixed output?
Having three units; the tape deck part where the body harness comes in, the dsp/EQ module, and the unit with volume control, and screen for vehicle info stuff has me confused. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by sabgog; 03-01-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Ads by Google