Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745LI
Coolant leaking in back of the engine

Anyone ever had the coolant leak out of the back of the engine? I got under the car today because I've been seeing coolant under my car. I found where it was coming from and it doesn't look good.

If you look through the hole in the large aluminum plate where your oil filter and drain plug are located. Looking through that hole towards the transmission you can see the flexplate spinning (my engine was running) through the hole in the bell housing. I could see the coolant dripping inside the bell housing.

Could this be the oring for the coolant pipe on the back side of the engine? I haven't done a search on this. I'm stepping out the door and figured I'd throw it out there to see if someone already has a link to a thread or knows what it is. I'll try and post some pics tomorrow when I have some time and its light outside.

Worst part about this, I just got it back today from getting the alternator bracket gasket fixed (It was leaking coolant before I took it to him so I know it wasn't his fault) Love this car!
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2012, 01:50 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: Ford Pinto
By your description it sounds like the rear
Seal for the coolant pipe

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App
Old 12-21-2012, 02:28 PM

Thanks paper, that's what I was afraid of, I'll do some looking with my time off over the Christmas holiday. That's just what I wanted to do with my time off.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:18 AM

I believe I found my problem. Within the bell housing on the back of the engine block there is a fluid passageway. It has a cover with a molded in rubber gasket. That gasket goes bad and leaks inside the bell housing.

See this diagram at realoem.com it is item #5
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...51&hg=11&fg=10

The video on this page is how I figured it out.
http://www.bmpdesign.com/technical/c...62_Engines.php

Notice that if you were to have a valley pan gasket leaking in the rear of the engine it would leak above the bell housing. The leak would run down and around the outside of the bell housing.

Time to start getting ready to pull the transmission!

I haven't done a thorough inspection yet but given that it leaking from inside the bell housing I don't expect to find an easy fix like a hose or something.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:18 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: Ford Pinto
Good luck with your new project .
I would still check the rear seal for
The coolant pipe to be sure .

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App
Old 12-23-2012, 01:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745i 2005
Try to remove throttle body and u will see Y shape pipes going to overflow reservoir. check Y connector it may leaks there and drip at back of engine close to flywheel
Old 12-23-2012, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khabar View Post
Try to remove throttle body and u will see Y shape pipes going to overflow reservoir. check Y connector it may leaks there and drip at back of engine close to flywheel
+1 I just had my mechanic change the plastic Y pipe to a metal one due to a leak. I thought it was the coolant pipe but thankfully it was not. Get a pressure test done to be certain where it is coming from. Cost $3.00 for the part and $ 50.00 for my mechanic.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:29 AM

Mein Auto: Nothing
Did you end up finding the issue?