Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest Regional > Regional Forums > Great Lakes Region - IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, and WI

Great Lakes Region - IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, and WI
Regional forum for members in IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, and WI.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:58 AM
Over-the-Hill

Mein Auto: '07 530xiT
Relocating to Cincinnati!

My husband is retiring after twenty years of service in the Coast Guard and will be joining GE Aviation as an engineer. My mother and other family live in Hamilton so we are somewhat familiar with the area.

We have narrowed down our desired areas to West Chester and Mason. After being in an area with poorly performing schools, we are extremely excited about the possibilities both communities offer. We currently have a second grader and kindergartner.

Based on our online real estate research, it appears that Mason is a much newer area with excellent schools. West Chester appears to be a little older and more established with very good schools but not quite as highly rated, but close.

It also looks like we could get more for our money in West Chester.

My husband will be working down in Evendale.

Is there anything that would put one community over the other in your opinion? Recreation availability? Is traffic terrible in either?

I cannot tell you excited we are to be in a real city. No driving an hour to a Target or an hour and a half to Whole Foods or Trader Joes. Nice movie theatres, concerts, museums, plenty of dining options, and Jungle Jim's!!! I used to go there with my grandmother when it was just a regular grocery store. We always go there when in Ohio.

Currently his date of separation is mid March. The boys and I will stay in our current home until school lets out and join him in June. We will visit my husband over spring break to visit schools and look at houses. We are trying to narrow down as best as we can ahead of time to maximize our week of house hunting.
Any tips would be appreciated and if you have personal experience with a particular real estate agent you like (or don't and wish to warn me), I would love to hear from you.

Ads by Google
Old 01-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 09 Freightliner
Cool!

Cant't help, but good luck in Cinci. We had friends there and they enjoyed it a lot.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528i
I personally don't like Cincinnati...only relocated because of a job opportunity...but thats not relevant lol. Mason and West Chester are both great areas in terms of schools, housing, nearby shopping, etc. It's a nice hike from the city. I have never lived in either place but I have a few colleagues that live in those areas....commuting to and from the city can be a pain, but it also depends on your husbands work schedule...all the folks I know that drive in from West Chester or Mason leave their homes between 5:30 and 6:30 AM. Highway 75 can be horrible, but I don't think 71 is as bad...I have a friend that lives in Mason and he loves it and feels that its worth the drive to and from downtown for work. He says that everything he needs is within a few minutes drive. When I considered buying, I was leaning toward the Mason area. As you mentioned, it's a lot newer. Very transient area as a lot of folks have relocated to work for P&G. I do not have any children but Mason has a very good school district and I considered that important in terms of resale value for a home. West Chester and Mason are very close...just on opposite sides of the highway if that makes any sense...i get to west chester by going 75 and i get to Mason going up 71. I don't think you can go wrong living in either area in terms of schools, shopping, restaurants, houses, etc...I think homes in Mason may be more expensive. I worked with a realtor that knew the areas pretty well when I considered buying...let me know if you'd like her contact info. I also looked at a few areas a little further north than Mason...these areas are being developed so you're not as close to shopping and restaurants...maybe 10 minutes away. But I spent a lot of time talking with a lot of builders (MI Homes, Fischer, Drees) and they were building very nice homes that were very reasonably priced...might want to check out their websites to see what they offer in the area as well. Hope this helps. Good luck!
2012 528i|Space Gray Metallic/Oyster & Black Interior|M Sport Package|Cold Weather Package|Premium Package|Technology Package|Luxury Seating Package|Driver Assistance Package|Premium Sound|Rear Seat Entertainment
Old 01-05-2014, 02:38 PM
Over-the-Hill

Re: Relocating to Cincinnati!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB2008 View Post
I personally don't like Cincinnati...only relocated because of a job opportunity...but thats not relevant lol. Mason and West Chester are both great areas in terms of schools, housing, nearby shopping, etc. It's a nice hike from the city. I have never lived in either place but I have a few colleagues that live in those areas....commuting to and from the city can be a pain, but it also depends on your husbands work schedule...all the folks I know that drive in from West Chester or Mason leave their homes between 5:30 and 6:30 AM. Highway 75 can be horrible, but I don't think 71 is as bad...I have a friend that lives in Mason and he loves it and feels that its worth the drive to and from downtown for work. He says that everything he needs is within a few minutes drive. When I considered buying, I was leaning toward the Mason area. As you mentioned, it's a lot newer. Very transient area as a lot of folks have relocated to work for P&G. I do not have any children but Mason has a very good school district and I considered that important in terms of resale value for a home. West Chester and Mason are very close...just on opposite sides of the highway if that makes any sense...i get to west chester by going 75 and i get to Mason going up 71. I don't think you can go wrong living in either area in terms of schools, shopping, restaurants, houses, etc...I think homes in Mason may be more expensive. I worked with a realtor that knew the areas pretty well when I considered buying...let me know if you'd like her contact info. I also looked at a few areas a little further north than Mason...these areas are being developed so you're not as close to shopping and restaurants...maybe 10 minutes away. But I spent a lot of time talking with a lot of builders (MI Homes, Fischer, Drees) and they were building very nice homes that were very reasonably priced...might want to check out their websites to see what they offer in the area as well. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Thanks for your lengthy reply. Cincinnati will be Paradise coming from where we are!

Initially, he will be working the second shift so traffic isn't too worrisome. I read up on the area and found a forum that brought traffic up specifically. I looked a little further north but the schools don't compare to Mason and WC.

I just might pm you for a realtor recommendation.

Thanks again!

Old 01-06-2014, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: No BMW yet!
I have lived in Cincy for most of my life so of course I have my own bias. I do not care much for either because they are very suburbia to me and prefer Hyde Park, Mount Adams, and Oakley. As far as traffic is concerned you really should not have a ton of trouble either way from where he will be working because he will not be coming anywhere near the city limits. It should be a 10-15 minute commute at worst for him.

Also both areas will put you around 25-30 minutes from downtown and everything it has to offer if that is of interest to you.

Edit: Don't neglect Blue Ash/Montgomery as an option either. Great housing and should be Sycammore school district which is still well regarded to my knowledge.

Last edited by scott.hunter; 01-06-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: No BMW yet!
I should add one more thing, if you are set on those two areas please visit Jungle Jims on Route 4 in West Chester before making your decision. It is truly the greatest grocery store ever and may be worth living in West Chester for...
Old 01-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Over-the-Hill

Re: Relocating to Cincinnati!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.hunter View Post
I should add one more thing, if you are set on those two areas please visit Jungle Jims on Route 4 in West Chester before making your decision. It is truly the greatest grocery store ever and may be worth living in West Chester for...
Thanks for your replies. If we didn't have littles, we would def try to live on Mt Adam. Incredible places up there.

We love love love Jungle Jim's! It was just a regular grocery store when I used to go with my grandmother when I'd visit her. My mom shopped with her mom when it was a roadside stand! We are very much looking forward to going there regularly.

I know Mason and WC are a bit McMansiony but we want to be somewhere that is convenient to all the amenities as well as close to my mother in Hamilton. I have looked at Wyoming in addition to others you mentioned. The schools are very highly rated but my mother won't go that far. I'm not even sure she will drive to Mason. That might be out of her comfort zone. We haven't ruled those areas out yet, though.

Thanks again!

Old 01-17-2014, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 335XI
Hey ,Welcome to Cincy!!,myself moved from Rockville Md in March..bought my F30 335 in Sep 2013..i stay in Sharonville,Place is ok..not too much traffic..visited some micro breweries in downtown..and also Ocktoberfest.Anyway nice to see you here.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: E36 ///M3
The drivers are just complete and massive idiots. The roads are by far the worst I've ever seen.

If you can, don't move here. I can't wait to leave after college.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 528iT
I have a college classmate who has lived in Wyoming for the past 25+ years. He and his wife enjoy everything about the community. Both of their children attended the schools there. The high school is consistantly ranked in the top 5 schools in the state. The city is close to GE as well. If you can not convince you mother about the consistant quality of the Wyoming Schools for your children and the issue of her driving distance, then you will need to be closer to her. I understand issues with driving distances. We are 10 minutes from our oldest and his two little people!

Good luck with your search.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.
Benjamin Franklin

2001 530iA STEEL BLUE/Sand - Sport/Premium/Cold Package
1999 528iA JET BLACK/Black - Sport/Premium/Heated Seats
1999 528iT CASHMERE BEIGE/Sand - Sport/Premium Package - 5 speed
1982 Fiat 2000 Spider - BLUE METALLIC/Blue
Old 03-15-2014, 04:35 AM

Mein Auto: E36 M3/4/5 DINAN S2
I will give you a quick comments:

1) I lived in NY for 27 years and FL for 3, Cincinnati is by far the best place I've lived! Barely any traffic even during the joke people call rush hour and cost of living is dirt cheap!
2) Look at all the surrounding communities. I'd recommend Northern KY if your husband was working further south. You can't beat the lower cost of taxes (even after adding in personal property tax) and even less traffic.
3) With the growth in diversity going on the area, there's plenty of ethnic restaurants and shops that remind me of the one thing I missed most about NY and FL.
4) If you're concerned about schools with the little ones, have you looked into Wyoming? It's one of the few nice places on the West side of Cincinnati and it's not too far from Evendale.
5) What other attributes are important to you? Schools and proximity to work seem to be most important, but what else?

Good luck!

Mike
Old 03-20-2014, 04:21 PM
Over-the-Hill

Updating!
My husband started Monday and is already really happy about his career transition to GE. He's currently staying in a hotel nearby which is not-so-fun.

Mason and West Chester are still in the running, but we've since added Wyoming, Loveland, and Madeira. I'm really drawn to the older, non-cookie-cutter homes. Schools in all five areas are highly ranked, though Wyoming appears to be highest.

Really, schools are most important. Proximity to GE is up there but now that we know his work hours, we aren't as concerned.

My only concern about Wyoming is the wealth. I grew up a poor kid in a wealthy suburb of Columbus. While it did have perks (excellent schools and great wardrobe courtesy of my spoiled best friend who frequently grew bored with the contents of her giant closet), sometimes it was really hard, too. There were a lot of activities we could not afford. No class trip to DC, no ski day field trips, etc. Fortunately we are in a much better financial as situation than my folks but still....I suppose it would be a life lesson, too.

I think my younger son will fit in no matter where he goes (he's in kindergarten but already basically rules the school....he's *that* guy), but my older son is much more sensitive and has a hard time fitting in. He is a lot like me, very book nerdy and introverted. At age 8, probably not something I should worry too much about but I'm a protective mama bear.

I am already on a bunch of email lists for the different communities, arts programs, etc. I am so excited about all the family activities available. I'm also really looking forward to checking out Over-The-Rhine. I remember when it was that scary part of town you don't dare drive through but I guess things have changed a bit.

When we go see my husband over spring break next month, hopefully we can narrow down the choices to make the house search a bit less daunting. I've got so many listings saved on Realtor.com I am driving myself mad.

Last edited by Melissa; 03-20-2014 at 06:17 PM.