Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest Regional > Regional Forums > Great Lakes Region - IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, and WI

Great Lakes Region - IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, and WI
Regional forum for members in IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, and WI.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0
Reliable Indy Mechanic in Columbus

Hi Guys,

I have been lurking around here for quite a long time and just joined few days ago. I own a 2008 X3 which has been giving me small problems and now I have Brake, 4x4 and Airbag light on from last a week or so...

I don't want to take it to Dealer as they will rip apart me and I know couple of Indy shops who have good ratings but they charge almost as much labor as Dealer so I don't see any point going to them....

I would really appreciate if any of you guys living in Columbus can advice me on some good Indy BMW mechanic whom I can talk to see what's going on with my car..

P.S. - I am completely lay man when it come to Auto work so please bear that in mind..Thank you!
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2015, 05:55 AM

Can someone from Columbus area answer to my question please?
Old 07-21-2015, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
I've had good services from Blagois but their price is just slightly cheaper than MAG. Also heard Hatem Auto, on Fifth Ave. in Grandview, is reputable but have never used them personally.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: '14 435ix
I've heard good things from friends that have used Evans Auto on Morse Rd. Not had the pleasure to use them myself because my vehicles have always been under the service plan with MAG or Kelly BMW.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:59 AM

Thanks Frackh...I see the list of mechanics in Columbus in BimmerShops..Do you know how much they charge for labor? I have been to Best Motor Werks and they have some amazing ratings all over the internet which again put me in some doubt that either those ratings are genuine and they are that good or its a internet rating sham...Also, what bothers me most is that these people charge for standard labor for things even if it wouldn't that much time to do that work..Like changing a battery was an hour labor and changing Xenon ring was half an hour work while my whole stay was not more than an hour...

They told me some problems with my car which I didn't feel but again I am a layman when it comes to Automobile so wasn't sure that whether it was a genuine concern or just an up-sell... Also, do you know any BMW mechanic who does the freelancing apart from working in a shop?

Last edited by abhi1y; 07-21-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
I don't remember or have the info on hand regarding Blagoi's labor rate. They replaced my brakes with ceramics and was still about $200 lower than MAG's standard brakes. The only other shop I had talked to previously is based in Cinci, Enthusiast Auto Group. The guy is a former BMW shop mech and now run his own shop but also buy/sell some pretty sweet BMWs. Might be worth looking into if you don't mind driving that way.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:31 AM

So I will explain my whole scenario and see if any of you guys can throw some light on this... I bought my X3 in last September with 64K miles on it from Ricart in Columbus...After 72K miles, my passenger side Xenon ring went out and I got the check engine light as well came on which I am blaming on loose fuel cap......I took it to Best Motor Werks for an oil change and Xenon ring and of course for Check Engine light...They took it in and while telling about the problems with my X3, I mentioned that sometimes it doesn't throttle smoothly while you press the gas pedal and they said that they will diagnose the car...

After 10 mins, John (Owner) came out and told me that they found voltage codes in several modules and they think that battery might be causing issues so I might want to replace it and to which I said yes...They did the oil change, battery change and replaced the Xenon ring with in an hour...and I was charged for the labor of 2 Hr and 45 Mins which I think is a lot more.. They provided me the diagnosis and estimates which is mentioned below which I would need help with

Valve Cover Assembly Cracked and Leaking - 890 (Labor Included), They also said that it might need to change Ecentric Shaft Center - 500 (Labor Included) and I might want to get new Spark Plugs (200)

Filter Stand gasket leak - 650 (Labor Included)

Drive Belt tensioner pivot worn (belt, pulleys, all) - 550 (Labor Included)

Washer Pump Leak - 189 (Labor Included)

Gas filler door lock actuator has come loose inside the body - Need to remove inner trunk panels to determine if it is loose hardware or something broken - 50

After seeing this estimate, I was overwhelmed so I decided not to get the work done immediately and find out more about this..... Now since last 2 weeks or so, I have my 4x4, Brake & Airbag (looks like to me) came on which earlier used to come on and off...

Can anyone help me with this estimates that whether they are good estimates or I could get this done somewhere else cheaper?

Thanks a ton guys!

Last edited by abhi1y; 07-21-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frackh View Post
I don't remember or have the info on hand regarding Blagoi's labor rate. They replaced my brakes with ceramics and was still about $200 lower than MAG's standard brakes. The only other shop I had talked to previously is based in Cinci, Enthusiast Auto Group. The guy is a former BMW shop mech and now run his own shop but also buy/sell some pretty sweet BMWs. Might be worth looking into if you don't mind driving that way.
I don't mind traveling to Cinci but I want to get it done in a day and has to be done at lower cast so I might look into that..Thanks for sharing..
Old 07-29-2015, 06:34 AM

I did some more digging and I have been given names of several mechanics but none of them were a personal experience....I would love to see an Indy mechanic name here in Columbus with whom someone had a personally good experience...

Can anyone help me?
Old 11-21-2015, 07:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
I have used John Best for years and have been very happy. I now live in Dayton, OH and have still taken my car back to John a few times.

Andy

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest Regional > Regional Forums > Great Lakes Region - IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, and WI
Today's Posts Search