Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-17-2012, 12:27 PM
PhilipWOT's Avatar
PhilipWOT PhilipWOT is offline
Turn Burglar
Location: Atl: Come for the pollution, stay for the traffic
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 12,324
Mein Auto: Red Assless Chaps
What to do with this ti...

So I'm looking at houses with the intention of buying something in the next 6 months.
At that point when I have a garage of my own I'll be filling half of it with either an E46 M3 or a Z4MC and the other half with my gf's stock Mazda3... :l

That being said, I dont want to commute through Atlanta traffic with any S54 car, so I'll be keeping the ti for that purpose, and obviously to keep miles off the other car.

I think I'm going to put an engine in it since I work at a shop now, and have access to all of the tools/lifts/hoists etc to make that job easy. What I'm looking for are ideas on what to put in the ti to make it less of a chore to drive on my commute and running errands etc..

Here are my options:

1. S50US obviously. I love that engine as you all probably know, but they are pricey. I'm not trying to make this a $3,000 project.

2. M52B28 with S52 cams and an M50 intake mani - this is my favorite idea so far.

3. There is a low mile Honda F20C sitting in the back of our shop that some kid basically abandoned here, that I could acquire very very cheaply. I know this swap would be a pain in the ass, but does anyone know anybody who has put an F20/F22 into an E36? I know it's been done but I'd like to talk to someone who has done it to see just how big of a job it is.

I'm open to suggestion, however I want to keep this car light and reliable so the F20 is the only non-BMW engine that I'd consider, so save the LS3 suggestions for some kid that doesnt know better. Also, boosting my 180k mile M42 is out of question.

Thanks guys,
-WOT
__________________
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 08-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Scorpian Scorpian is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: canada ontario
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 195
Mein Auto: 1997 M3
would the f20 have enough torque to be a fun driver? there nice engines in an s2000 but wonder how they would do in an e36...actually... the s2000 only seems to be a 100 punds or so lighter and i would guess the Ti may be lighter than a regular 318?...! :S

although almost free F20's are enticing...
but wouldnt putting a 9000RPM redline engine make it a bit dreadful to drive in traffic...?

I may be talking blasphemy, but sometimes the best combos are the best from a couple different brands. (like a E46 m3 engine in a porsche 911 my dream car...)

what about a SR20 nissan engine? they seem to be decently cheap, or a RB26?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Mr Gusta's Avatar
Mr Gusta Mr Gusta is offline
Fireballs inc.
Location: long Island
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,226
Send a message via AIM to Mr Gusta
Mein Auto: big turbo hellrot sedan
m54b30
__________________

Turbo lag is just a headstart because the chase is more exciting than the win - Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-17-2012, 02:17 PM
FenderBender's Avatar
FenderBender FenderBender is offline
Needs Boost
Location: Hicktown, PA
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,164
Mein Auto: Red Sled
Good golly please don't mention a Honda engine again.....
__________________
Turbo Build Here


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Mr Gusta's Avatar
Mr Gusta Mr Gusta is offline
Fireballs inc.
Location: long Island
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,226
Send a message via AIM to Mr Gusta
Mein Auto: big turbo hellrot sedan
f20 pos lol

it sounds terrible, and makes no tq
__________________

Turbo lag is just a headstart because the chase is more exciting than the win - Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-17-2012, 02:22 PM
FenderBender's Avatar
FenderBender FenderBender is offline
Needs Boost
Location: Hicktown, PA
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,164
Mein Auto: Red Sled
And why would anyone ever even think of ANY Honda engine in a BMW, yuck.



If you do a swap, simply do some kind of M50 based motor. Simple, clean, done. Also easy to upgrade later if you don't want to throw the funds at it.
__________________
Turbo Build Here


Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-17-2012, 09:38 PM
jonesin's Avatar
jonesin jonesin is online now
The Canadian Prick.
Location: Fort McMurray AB
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 12,573
Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipWOT View Post
So I'm looking at houses with the intention of buying something in the next 6 months.
At that point when I have a garage of my own I'll be filling half of it with either an E46 M3 or a Z4MC and the other half with my gf's stock Mazda3... :l

That being said, I dont want to commute through Atlanta traffic with any S54 car, so I'll be keeping the ti for that purpose, and obviously to keep miles off the other car.

I think I'm going to put an engine in it since I work at a shop now, and have access to all of the tools/lifts/hoists etc to make that job easy. What I'm looking for are ideas on what to put in the ti to make it less of a chore to drive on my commute and running errands etc..

Here are my options:

1. S50US obviously. I love that engine as you all probably know, but they are pricey. I'm not trying to make this a $3,000 project.

2. M52B28 with S52 cams and an M50 intake mani - this is my favorite idea so far.

3. There is a low mile Honda F20C sitting in the back of our shop that some kid basically abandoned here, that I could acquire very very cheaply. I know this swap would be a pain in the ass, but does anyone know anybody who has put an F20/F22 into an E36? I know it's been done but I'd like to talk to someone who has done it to see just how big of a job it is.

I'm open to suggestion, however I want to keep this car light and reliable so the F20 is the only non-BMW engine that I'd consider, so save the LS3 suggestions for some kid that doesnt know better. Also, boosting my 180k mile M42 is out of question.

Thanks guys,
-WOT
If this car is to continue to be a daily driver, then putting the M50 manifold is beyond pointless. All that it does is increase top end HP at the sacrifice of low end torque. For a daily, the low end torque is far more useful.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnaz View Post
I grew up in a time when the internet was just a baby. Grammar back then versus now... holy cow. You could watch the degradation of society as the internet became more mature.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-18-2012, 11:55 AM
drivinfaster's Avatar
drivinfaster drivinfaster is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: in the sticks you piney
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,636
Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
meh, i know that you mentioned that you are not interested in boosting, but if all goes well with the m90 supercharger idea, why not use one of them on the m4x motors??

if i had an m4x motor i would be playing with that idea myself, so if you wish to send your ti up my way....


srsly, i could probably do this.

it would be mild steel, not aluminum. at least not yet. i'm not yet feeling competant enough to try aluminum, but there are several options on the market when it comes to working with the aluminum that i will be game enough to try and report back.


also, won't the s10 cams drop right in the m4x heads?? with a tune that could be pretty peppy, no?? and probably be somewhere around the cost/headache factor of a honda swap, and still be bmw....




df
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-18-2012, 12:38 PM
FenderBender's Avatar
FenderBender FenderBender is offline
Needs Boost
Location: Hicktown, PA
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,164
Mein Auto: Red Sled
S10 cams? You mean S14?


I was thinking small Chevy truck...lol.
__________________
Turbo Build Here


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-18-2012, 12:42 PM
ZeGerman's Avatar
ZeGerman ZeGerman is online now
Warm Leatherette
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18,509
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
And why would anyone ever even think of ANY Honda engine in a BMW, yuck.
I has been done before, though. Not that I'm endorsing it... Would make a lot more sense in an E30.

__________________

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-18-2012, 12:55 PM
FenderBender's Avatar
FenderBender FenderBender is offline
Needs Boost
Location: Hicktown, PA
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,164
Mein Auto: Red Sled
Barf
__________________
Turbo Build Here


Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-18-2012, 12:57 PM
ReillyM3's Avatar
ReillyM3 ReillyM3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Philadelphia PA
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 210
Mein Auto: 1994 325i sedan
Im sure ill get crap for this but the audi/vw 1.8t would work, parts are cheap, 180hp that spools around 3k, 30mpg avg? Its not a very inspiring rig but good fr a fun run about. Vr6 engines are more fun and sound insane but headgasket troubles lay around every corner. Just a thought.
__________________

1994 325i (current)
2006 325i (current)
1995 525i
1990 325i
1988 Jetta 8v
1987 Gti 16v

1985 Jaguar Xj6
1984 Jaguar Xj6
1966 Mustang
1965 Falcon Wagon
1961 Buick Special
1962 Buick Special Wagon
1955 Pontiac Cheiftan
1961 Falcon Tudor
1962 Faclon Ranchero
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-18-2012, 01:03 PM
ZeGerman's Avatar
ZeGerman ZeGerman is online now
Warm Leatherette
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18,509
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Meh, none of the VW engines are worth considering. The 1.8T in my Passat was somewhat boring, and I didn't care much for the turbo lag (although I think it was exacerbated by the horrid tiptronic auto which never knew where it was supposed to be). The M52B28 idea isn't bad, since they're pretty quick and can be had for cheap. Keep in mind that if you increase your power (regardless of how you go about doing it), you're also going to want to upgrade to the ZF trans and medium case differential.
__________________

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 08-18-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-18-2012, 02:07 PM
drivinfaster's Avatar
drivinfaster drivinfaster is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: in the sticks you piney
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,636
Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
S10 cams? You mean S14?


I was thinking small Chevy truck...lol.

yeah, i knew it was s14, but came out as s10. i think because the m50/s50, m54/s54...et al wrt the engine series, so i musta went brain dead for a second....shh, don't tell anyone, k??

our secret...








df
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-18-2012, 03:23 PM
ReillyM3's Avatar
ReillyM3 ReillyM3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Philadelphia PA
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 210
Mein Auto: 1994 325i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Meh, none of the VW engines are worth considering. The 1.8T in my Passat was somewhat boring, and I didn't care much for the turbo lag (although I think it was exacerbated by the horrid tiptronic auto which never knew where it was supposed to be). The M52B28 idea isn't bad, since they're pretty quick and can be had for cheap. Keep in mind that if you increase your power (regardless of how you go about doing it), you're also going to want to upgrade to the ZF trans and medium case differential.
Those tiptronics were THEEEE WORST! My dad still has his a4 tiptronic. You could have a rabid tiger under the hood and those trans would still be dreadful.
__________________

1994 325i (current)
2006 325i (current)
1995 525i
1990 325i
1988 Jetta 8v
1987 Gti 16v

1985 Jaguar Xj6
1984 Jaguar Xj6
1966 Mustang
1965 Falcon Wagon
1961 Buick Special
1962 Buick Special Wagon
1955 Pontiac Cheiftan
1961 Falcon Tudor
1962 Faclon Ranchero
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-18-2012, 08:45 PM
cj.surr's Avatar
cj.surr cj.surr is online now
some kid
Location: Ithaca, NY
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,434
Mein Auto: whiny 318
If you're looking at a cheap and economical option, I see no sense in swapping in an engine from another make. All those Honda and VW engines will be complicated and relatively expensive swaps.

I say stockish M50/M52. They're cheap, make enough power that you won't fall asleep, and they get decent MPG. Just make sure you get a 2.93 diff out of a 328 if you want the good mpg.
__________________
-CJ

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-19-2012, 08:39 AM
RawrRawr RawrRawr is offline
Hello!
Location: Le Minnesota
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 285
Mein Auto: A bike; 1996 328i Sedan
Another vote for the M52B28, it makes enough power already. (Well, for me anyways)

E36 328i sedan weighs ~3075 lbs that produces ~191 HP

E36 318ti weighs ~2509 lbs that produces ~138 HP

Swap in a M52B28 into the ti and its like you've got a ~234 HP engine.

Power to weight ratio ftw.
__________________

'96 328i BMW, Auto

Last edited by RawrRawr; 08-19-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-19-2012, 12:17 PM
Kdoherty's Avatar
Kdoherty Kdoherty is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: The cradle of Liberty
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,544
Mein Auto: A redhead E90
My M52B28 freaking rules, with the 2.93's out back i've snuck up on 400 miles to tank on a highway blast at 80+mph. and it has enought torxz to spin the bigger sedans wheels through 1st and 2nd. So the Ti will feel like a regular M... then with mods... shenanigan machine.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
Drop the clutch, proceed and ain't care.
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-19-2012, 02:06 PM
RawrRawr RawrRawr is offline
Hello!
Location: Le Minnesota
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 285
Mein Auto: A bike; 1996 328i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdoherty View Post
My M52B28 freaking rules, with the 2.93's out back i've snuck up on 400 miles to tank on a highway blast at 80+mph. and it has enought torxz to spin the bigger sedans wheels through 1st and 2nd. So the Ti will feel like a regular M... then with mods... shenanigan machine.
I can't spin my wheel for the life of me, it might be because of the autotragic that I have. Or my 4 season tires -.-

But yea, a Ti M? Fk yes.
__________________

'96 328i BMW, Auto
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-19-2012, 09:46 PM
PhilipWOT's Avatar
PhilipWOT PhilipWOT is offline
Turn Burglar
Location: Atl: Come for the pollution, stay for the traffic
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 12,324
Mein Auto: Red Assless Chaps
Replies are precisely what i expected. I suppose M52 it is then. Now to find a donor car. And 250hp isn't terribly hard to get out of that engine with bolt ons and software, so shenanigans it is.

Sent from my pants using WeinerApp
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-19-2012, 10:35 PM
ZeGerman's Avatar
ZeGerman ZeGerman is online now
Warm Leatherette
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18,509
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Wise choice. It will be a seriously fun combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawrRawr View Post
I can't spin my wheel for the life of me, it might be because of the autotragic that I have.
Probably this.
__________________

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Mr Gusta's Avatar
Mr Gusta Mr Gusta is offline
Fireballs inc.
Location: long Island
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,226
Send a message via AIM to Mr Gusta
Mein Auto: big turbo hellrot sedan
m54 and e85 would be a better choice
__________________

Turbo lag is just a headstart because the chase is more exciting than the win - Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-22-2012, 05:16 AM
PhilipWOT's Avatar
PhilipWOT PhilipWOT is offline
Turn Burglar
Location: Atl: Come for the pollution, stay for the traffic
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 12,324
Mein Auto: Red Assless Chaps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gusta View Post
m54 and e85 would be a better choice
Why do you say M54? I'm very open to suggestion, please state your case. (especially considering you actually own an M54 powered E36)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-22-2012, 05:19 AM
jonesin's Avatar
jonesin jonesin is online now
The Canadian Prick.
Location: Fort McMurray AB
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 12,573
Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Philip, haven't you seen Frank's swap thread?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht=frankie+m54
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnaz View Post
I grew up in a time when the internet was just a baby. Grammar back then versus now... holy cow. You could watch the degradation of society as the internet became more mature.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-22-2012, 05:29 AM
miles_trail's Avatar
miles_trail miles_trail is online now
I like pie.
Location: Lexington, VA, USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,434
Mein Auto: 96 318ti, 93 BMW 325IS
M52B28+ S5B32 cams+ M54b30 rotating assembly. Look for a thread on this subject (more or less) coming to a bimmerfest near you in a couple weeks (for real this time).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
How do you outcrazy a dude that lifts his engines without a hoist?

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms