Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 03-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Eric

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 323is
stereo/speaker help + sub opinions

I have a small stereo question if anyone could help me out... I'm installing a new stereo and same as stock stereo did, when the key is in the first position the stereo turns on but the speakers don't make any sound until i turn the key to the second position, im thinking this isn't quite right. so if anyone has any suggestions for me to try before i put it all back together it would be very much appreciated...

I'm also curious what you guys think are the pros and cons of big aftermarket sub woofers, i have one in my old car but i don't think i want a 50 pound speaker rattling around in my bimmer
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Natasha 95M3

Mein Auto: 95' E36 M3
I put 6x9s in the back and I have great sound. I also put a matching pair of components in the front to round it out. I'm a happy camper. They make a bracket for them too they work great!

My .02
Old 03-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 335i, 98 323ic, 05 V50
I just added an 8" sub in the rear pass thru...I did a DIY on it. Sounds really good.

Sent from my HTC Droid
Old 03-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Natasha 95M3

I need a pass through back seat.

My .02
Old 03-04-2012, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: 1994 325i sedan
The kid I got my Bimmer from hacked the wiring. I am going to rewire the entire thing. He has kenwood components with woofer in kick panel and tweeter on little triangle at front top of door, he screwed 3.5" kicker ds35's into the door panel from the outside and didn't put grills on them, had factory tweeters still going, pioneers in the rear. I can't imagine what kind of ohms load the cd player is seeing. He also had a single 12" crossfire subwoofer with kenwood 250w amp.

I am thinking that I might trade my sub/amp together for a decent deck with ipod plug. Then take the sony 6x9s from my old car and make a custom fiberglass rear deck garnish. Just some ideas. I have always been happy with a good set of 6x9's. haven't had subwoofer in years
Old 03-04-2012, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: 93 318is, 02 Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric8467 View Post
I have a small stereo question if anyone could help me out... I'm installing a new stereo and same as stock stereo did, when the key is in the first position the stereo turns on but the speakers don't make any sound until i turn the key to the second position, im thinking this isn't quite right. so if anyone has any suggestions for me to try before i put it all back together it would be very much appreciated...

I'm also curious what you guys think are the pros and cons of big aftermarket sub woofers, i have one in my old car but i don't think i want a 50 pound speaker rattling around in my bimmer
A little more information about your vehicle would help. Could be something as simple as the factory amp not turning on until the key is in the run position...if your stereo is wired into the ignition, (it should be) then it will come on with the key in any position, other than start...Then once your amp turns on, sound will generate from the AMP, not the stereo..Most, if not all factory amplifier receive their input signal from a High output of a stereo..ie..the speaker wires. they are ran from the stereo, stock or aftermarket, to the amp, then from the output of the amp to the speakers. I would start there...find out if you have a factory amp, and see if the correct wire to "turn it on" is connected as it should be.. hope this helps.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Natasha 95M3

If your not all together again post up some pictures of what you got going on it will be easer to tell if you have something off.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Eric

I found my hk amp but all the wires seemed to be in place, What could cause the amp to only turn on when the key is in run position?
Old 03-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Natasha 95M3

Well I wanted a picture of your wire harness but I'm gonna say switch your power wires. You may have your Battery and ignition wires backwards. This would give you the problem your having.

My .02
Old 03-07-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaG View Post
Well I wanted a picture of your wire harness but I'm gonna say switch your power wires. You may have your Battery and ignition wires backwards. This would give you the problem your having.
I agree with you about the pic...But dont you think if he had the batt/ign wire backwards his amp would be on all the time..thus never having a delay...

There is an issue somewhere in his wiring behind the head unit. Maybe he has the antenna wire and the amp/ turn on wire backwards?? both of these wires are blue but one has a white stripe - read the manual from the stereo to find correct wire and verify. If you dont have the manual - Google the model number with words like, wiring info. should get some relevant information.

Give us a little information on the car and stereo...If I knew the year, make model and type of stereo you were using, I could tell you exactly what color wires you need to be looking for...
Old 03-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Eric

It's a 99 323is with the HK audio system, I'll look at it a bit closer and take some pics if i can't figure it out... pretty busy at the moment between school and work, so probably later tomorrow

Last edited by eric8467; 03-07-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric8467 View Post
It's a 99 323is with the HK audio system, I'll look at it a bit closer and take some pics if i can't figure it out... pretty busy at the moment between school and work, so probably later tomorrow
Ok, well from what I have gathered...you are putting in an aftermarket stereo in place of your factory stereo. Which means you have purchased a wiring harness that got solderless connected to the stereo's harness and then plugs into your factory plug. When doing this make sure the WHITE wire on the factory side, is running in relevant pin location as the "AMP TURN ON" wire from the aftermarket. ie..if the amp turn on wire is Blue whith a white stripe, make sure that wire is connecting to the white wire on the factory side...see below for a detailed wiring diagram..as long as that white wire is connected correctly, you should have no problems assuming everything is golden down the line into the amplifier...if it is still giving you issues my only other suggestion is grab a multimeter and start checking continuity between the amps plug and the radio's plug...Factory side. Hope this helps..

1999 BMW 323is Car Stereo Radio Wiring Diagram.

Radio Constant 12V+ Wire: Red/White
Radio Switched 12V+ Wire: Purple/White
Radio Ground Wire: Brown
Radio Illumination Wire: None
Radio Dimmer Wire: None
Radio Antenna Trigger Wire: none
Radio Amp Trigger Wire: White
Front Speakers Size: 5 1/4***8243; Speakers
Front Speakers Location: Kick Panels
Left Front Speaker Wire (+): Yellow/Red
Left Front Speaker Wire (-): Brown/Orange
Right Front Speaker Wire (+): Black/Red
Right Front Speaker Wire (-): Brown/Orange
Rear Speakers Size: 4***8243; Speakers
Rear Speakers Location: Rear Deck
Left Rear Speaker Wire (+): Yellow/Black
Left Rear Speaker Wire (-): Black/Orange
Right Rear Speaker Wire (+): Blue/Black
Right Rear Speaker Wire (-): Brown/Orange
Old 03-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Natasha 95M3

You could be right auto but since it's the factory amp you couldn't tell if it's on or not. And because the system was efficient with power he'd Lilly not notice unless he let the battery drain out over a couple days.

My .02
Old 03-07-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
You could be right auto but since it's the factory amp you couldn't tell if it's on or not. And because the system was efficient with power he'd Lilly not notice unless he let the battery drain out over a couple days.
Not sure what you mean...i didnt think he was having an operation issue...just a delay in turning on?? If he uses a multimeter on the power wire to the amp...turns the system on, if the amp is receiving power right then and its not turning on right away..its an amp issue, if not, its a wiring issue..simple as that! many factors can play into an amplifier doing funny things.....is the input within an adequate ohm rating?? is it ventilated enough? is the output ohm rating correct? Do you have a 200amp rated amplifier running off your stock 60 amp alternator?? Many many many different things can cause an amp issue...However, being that this is a turn on delayed issue, it has to be a power issue or input issue...Hell the amp could just be worn out and the cycle through protect mode before initial turn on could be lagging...who knows.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Natasha 95M3

Point made I had to read the op again. I thought he was saying that nothing would turn on until the key was turned on to the second position.

My .02
Old 03-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Eric

Well you were exactly right, I pulled out the stereo and the previous owner had the amp turn on wire cut right after the factory harness and it appeared to be grounded. I'm not sure why they would have done that maybe the factory stereo was malfunctioning. Anyway it's working just as it should now... so THANKS a bunch everyone that's one less imperfection on my car
Old 03-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Natasha 95M3

"if you got soud problems I feel bad for you son. I got BMW problems but an amp aint one".

Or something like that.

My .02
Old 03-11-2012, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 325i sedan
Quote:
"if you got soud problems I feel bad for you son. I got BMW problems but an amp aint one".

Or something like that.
I almost peed laughing at the epic fail in this post. Thanks for the laugh. Lol