Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-02-2012, 10:41 AM
www.umnitza.com

Mein Auto: ///M
Customer DIY of our E46 M3 Bumper on Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoms69 View Post
So here are the pictures from start to where I left off. I stopped after I glued the inner liner to the cover. Sorry I forgot to take a picture of that process but I know you all will be able to understand what was done.

Here we go:

The bumper after I painted it and did a cut and buff

Removed the fog-light covers and other plastic from the original bumper. All these parts just un-snapped. This is what it looks like without the plastic pieces.

Remove the fog-lights by taking out the screws under the light then just pull it out from the bottom and down and unplug the light.

Next take out the 4 plastic push rivets (that's what I call them). There are 2 on each side.

You can also take out the 2 torx bolts that are in the bumper at this point if you choose to. They are a T50 size and go through the aluminum part of the bumper to the mounts.

Then take out the 2 inner splash wells by removing the 3 screws that hold them in (7mm head) and the phillip screws underneath. At this point you can remove the plastic splash guard that is attached to the bumper.
Pictures are of the sides after slash guards are removed.

After you have done that you should be able to slide the bumper forward if all the screws had been removed. Remember to unplug the horn wires. Here it is off the car.

Okay here I took a chisel to the plastic pop rivets that held the aluminum section to the plastic cover.

After I looked at the way the original bumper attached to the aluminum section, I decided to take the inner plastic mount off and use it to attach the M3 Replica bumper. I used a pry bar while pulling up on the inner section. The tabs on the original bumper are melted to hold the inner section on. They are real easy to pry apart.

There are also 3 tabs that are on the M3 Replica bumper I purchased from http://www.umnitza.com/ I plan to use these with "U" type speed nuts and 6mm bolts to secure the bottom part of the cover to the aluminum section. I should have pictures of that tomorrow.

Okay so here is the part I forgot to take the pictures of sorry. What I did was attach the inner section

to the aluminum section

using some push type rivets I purchased from Autozone.

Prior to gluing the inner section attached to the aluminum section to the M3 Replica, I reinstalled the aluminum section with the inner section on the car with the torx bolts. This allowed me to put the M3 Replica cover on the other parts and make sure the fit would be correct prior to gluing it to the inner section. I used grease and wax remover to clean up the parts to be glued and I used Goop contact adhesive and Loctite silicone adhesive to secure the sections together.

Okay the following pictures are of the bumper glued onto the other sections mentioned. I decided to leave it alone at this point so the adhesive could cure good. You will notice that there is a section of the aluminum part of the bumper that can be seen from the top when the hood is opened. I will be painting this the same color of the car tomorrow after I remove the cover. I will also take pictures of all the sections apart so you call can see what I did with the inner section to the M3 Replica because I'm not sure if I explained it well.

Hope this helps some of you on the install of this type of bumper. I should have more tomorrow for all who are interested with pictures. If anyone has questions I will do my best to answer them.
Hope that helps you guys. These are our $99 + shipping bumpers.
part 1
Old 03-02-2012, 10:41 AM
www.umnitza.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoms69 View Post
Okay installation of the M3 Replica front bumper is complete. The bumper came out very good IMO and feels very, very secure. I am really glad that I had decided to use the inner mount section from the original bumper. Doing this, again IMO, made it easy to mount and the adjustment was almost right on after the parts were put together.

Here we go with the final parts of the process.

Here is the bumper with the aluminum section attached to the inner section from the original bumper glued to the M3 Replica bumper. I can take the aluminum section apart from the plastic section just as it was on the original bumper. I separated the aluminum section from the others to add more adhesive to the areas where the gaps are larger. I also painted the aluminum section to match the car so when the hood is opened it will blend in and not stand out. I painted the bottom brows and the tow hook cover also.

I reattached the aluminum section to the glued section with the push type fasteners.

I also was able to use the pre-drilled holes in the center of the aluminum section that line up with the tabs on the M3 Replica. I used 6mm "U" Type speed nuts and a 6X15 MM bolt to attach the two section together. This really made all the pieces secure to each other.

I then re-attached the whole assembly to the car using the T50 bolts. At this point everything really aligned easily. I was really happy with the fit. I also reinstalled the lower brows and the weather stripping which also helped align everything really nice.

I installed the new fogs and the HID kit. I believe there is another DIY for that so I didn't do any pictures of that process. BTW I painted the center mesh grill and the fog surrounds black even though they are black already and glossed them with the clear coat. I liked the way they came out.

The following pictures are of the competed job, the first picture is before the install.

The M3 Replica installed;

Thanks for following my install and good luck to all who are going to change out their front bumper. Just take your time and check everything as you go along.

Thanks to Umnitza for sending me a very good product.
Part 2 Final.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
Where did you get bmw color coded spray paint?
Old 03-03-2012, 10:49 AM
www.umnitza.com

lots of online places sell it.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/restorationshop/default.aspx?
Old 03-20-2013, 02:38 AM

Mein Auto: M3
How did you go about putting the t50 bolts in while everything is connected to bumper? I see where it says you did but there are no pics. I have a oem m3 bumper if that makes a diff.