Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E39 M5 (1998-2003)

E39 M5 (1998-2003)

Old 03-02-2012, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: Honda Accord
Questions Before Purchasing

Hey guys,

New to the forum and kind of new to BMW, even though I am a car fanatic. Anyways, I am planning on purchasing a 2001 E39 M5 with over 114k miles on it. Car is in great condition outside and inside. I reviewed the 100k maintenance schedule invoice from the current owner and saw this as a note on the invoice:

SRS LIGHT ON. FAULT CODES 001, DRIVERS AIRBAG RESISTANCE TO HIGH, FAULT NOT PRESENT. FAULT CODE 240, CONTROL UNIT FAULT INTERNAL, NOT PRESENT. CLEARED FAULT CODES FOR SRS, IF CODES RETURN, FURTHER DIAGNOSIS WILL BE NEEDED. TURN ON DRL AND AUTO DOOR LOCK.
***NOTES***
FRONT PADS 5% TO SENSOR. REAR PADS 75% TO SENSOR. TRANSMISSION HAS SMALL LEAK FROM CASE HALVES. DIFFERENTIAL HAS SMALL LEAK. R/R WHEEL IS BENT ON INSIDE

The last paragraph is what really scares me from purchasing this beast of a car. Other than that, he's had the oil, oil filter, air filter, micro filter, washer fluid, gear oil, sway bar bracket, bushings, rear stabilizer bar support brackets, and one oil filter housing mount replaced from this maintenance schedule. He's also had the clutch replaced at 90k. He has all maintenance records of his car as well.

Any support/ response will be greatly appreciated as this will be my first BMW.

Thanks,
David
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2012, 11:02 AM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
Sounds like a well-maintained M5!

I can't really address most of the specific points that you highlight from the invoice, but as with all used BMW's, a pre-purchase inspection is generally a good idea. If those areas of concern still appear problematic, I expect it would be noted during the course of that inspection.

Bent rims, if not seriously bent, can sometimes be balanced to run properly; if you note any odd behavior (shimmies, etc.) during a test drive at highway speeds, that would be the first area to check. Again, an inspection of that rim would prove helpful in deciding whether the rim is serviceable or needs to be replaced.

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...
Old 03-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Constantly Learning

Mein Auto: 2006 M3, 2002 M5
You're jumping into the deep end with an M5 as your first BMW. A PPI is a must, despite all the promising maintenance records. Bring it to an indy who knows these cars.

Clutch is a common issue, so good if that was replaced. Good luck!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:38 PM

Yea, I think I'll wait for a better option...still want an E39 M5 though.. one day!
Old 03-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Wait, THAT ppi caused you to not buy????

You'll NEVER buy one. There was nothing there that would cause me to say no.

Did they do tranny and diff fluid changes? Coolant? brake fluid flushes? No mention in your post, so wondering.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Wait, THAT ppi caused you to not buy????

You'll NEVER buy one. There was nothing there that would cause me to say no.

Did they do tranny and diff fluid changes? Coolant? brake fluid flushes? No mention in your post, so wondering.
That was noted on his 100k maintenance record from the dealer. A PPI was not done.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:58 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by danzerdelight View Post
That was noted on his 100k maintenance record from the dealer. A PPI was not done.
So on the basis of those notes on the 100k maintenance record you decided to walk?

Seems even less of a reason than if that had been an actual PPI.

Or did I misread and you walked for other reasons?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 525i 5-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by danzerdelight View Post

Go get a real PPI done - only way to tell what's happened since 100k...

Or get a PPI done on a 540i/6speed. It'll be well more than enough of an improvement over your Accord...maybe a bit less $$$$ to maintain long term, meaning only $3k a year instead of $5k...
  • Pre-Purchase Inspections by a qualifed BMW tech should be considered required PRIOR to purchase.
  • Service Records matter - a whole lot!
  • Plan to spend $2-3000+ in maintance & repairs the first year of ownership.
  • Plan on something unexpected to happen, more often than you are used to.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:10 PM

Rethought about getting an M5 with that many miles... I bet it's a blast and hopefully one day I will be able to afford it with it's maintenance costs. As for now, I'll probably stick to my Accord, not a bad car, good gas mileage, low insurance rates, paid off. Can't complain!

Thanks for all the input though!

P.S. Thinking about an E90 M3 instead in the future, we'll see how it goes.