Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: 535d M-sport
Speeding violations in Germany prior to ED

I just had my 535d re-delivered, and so I wanted to share one fact since it might of interest to others. Like many, I've driven in Germany (and many other EU countries) in the past by renting a car while there. Like some, I've received "souvenirs" in the mail after the trip from some German municipalities: mine were in German, had a picture of a person looking awfully close to me, and something about the speed limit and something else that could be some other speed that seemed higher than the limit, perhaps related to the person in the picture

I will note that none of them appeared to prescribe something that was euro-denominated (no concrete money sums). My 6th sense told me this was a query to confirm it was me who was in the picture. However, since I do not speak German, I could not be sure, so my M.O. was always to make a copy and send it back together with a nice note asking me to send this to me in English, since obviously my US address should be enough to realize why. I've never received any follow-up, so I've felt the matter to be settled until this ED thing!

Long story short - I was quite worried before my ED day as to what exactly will be expecting me at the Welt: the car or a pair of handcuffs. To my great delight it only the car and the explanation as to why: the car IS NOT registered in Germany!

So...that's my experience...I do not condone speeding (although in EU they really sprinkle speed limit signs absurdly) nor do I think sending letters in German to US residents is a system that merits much of a defense...just something that I learned...
2002 Infiniti I35 - retired
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '15 228i Sport / Track
Just man up and pay your own speeding tickets.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Where is the car registered if not Germany?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 09-15-2014, 08:26 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoothie View Post
Long story short - I was quite worried before my ED day as to what exactly will be expecting me at the Welt: the car or a pair of handcuffs. To my great delight it only the car and the explanation as to why: the car IS NOT registered in Germany!
And why would that matter? Are you saying that if I bring a car into Germany that's registered in any other EU country that Germany has no recourse against me if I get a speeding ticket because the car is not registered in Germany?

I'm pretty sure that we received a German registration. The plates are German Zoll plates. How can the car possibly NOT be registered in Germany?

This makes no sense.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 09-15-2014, 09:31 PM

I can only say 2 things:
1. Has nothing to with manning up: I got no ticket, just a note in German. I did not avoid nor run from it. I asked them to man up and serve me in English.
2. Your ED car is not registered in Germany. I was told that at the Welt - I asked. What we get is not going through the same process that a car bought by a German would.

Like I said - I am simply sharing as I was searching for this sort of info before my trip. Other ppl might, too.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:49 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
What we get is not going through the same process that a car bought by a German would.
No, of course not, because we're not German, don't live in Germany, the car was built for export and will be taken out of Germany. That doesn't mean that it's not registered in Germany for the duration of the ED.

And it still doesn't explain how this removes any responsibility if you get a speeding ticket.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 09-15-2014, 09:58 PM

I wanted to be very clear on my experience, as it's factual. I did not say I got a ticket. I got what looked like a notice to respond.
No actual fine amount was on it. And like I said - posting it for the benefit of others who tried to do the right thing: understand what is being presented to us,
as opposed to ignoring/etc. I actually replied!

I firmly believe that I am entitled to get whatever charges against me stated in the language I understand and that there should be avenues for contesting.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:05 AM

Mein Auto: 330cic
There are many translation sites on the internet which would have solved the issue as to what the notice said.....

Old 09-16-2014, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
And it still doesn't explain how this removes any responsibility if you get a speeding ticket.
Bingo.

As a BMW owner and a Bimmerfest member, people like Zoothie reflect poorly on the rest of us.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:03 AM
Ich bin schneller

Mein Auto: 2012 335is DCT
So, does anyone have information on how to pay the fee, as opposed to scolding remarks? So far I have seen:

Step 1: Pay up

and

Step 1: Google translate
Step 2: Pay up

and

Step 1: Post on Bimmerfest
Step 2: Defend yourself against public shaming
Step 3: Pay up

Three easy steps, huh? Who knew!?

I have read of lots of posts from do-gooders with the most outlandish suggestions: "The "easiest" way to pay the ticket is find someone you trust who lives in Germany and has PayPal. PayPal them the fine plus 4% and have them pay it on your behalf."

Gotta be ****ting me...
Old 09-16-2014, 07:24 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
So, does anyone have information on how to pay the fee, as opposed to scolding remarks? So far I have seen:

Step 1: Pay up

and

Step 1: Google translate
Step 2: Pay up

and

Step 1: Post on Bimmerfest
Step 2: Defend yourself against public shaming
Step 3: Pay up

Three easy steps, huh? Who knew!?

I have read of lots of posts from do-gooders with the most outlandish suggestions: "The "easiest" way to pay the ticket is find someone you trust who lives in Germany and has PayPal. PayPal them the fine plus 4% and have them pay it on your behalf."

Gotta be ****ting me...

Because this thread is not about helping someone pay their fines.

It's about "look here's how you can act like an obnoxious American, disrespect other countries laws, and do so with impunity"

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 09-16-2014, 07:44 AM
Ich bin schneller

Ah. Got it. Everyone else on here is perfect.

Point is even the most well intentioned have failed to manage paying these fees, as evidenced in countless posts on the internet. No one has stepped up to prove that being an obnoxious American has you acting any differently than someone who truly wants to do the right thing. Neither American paid the fees. If the public shaming is simply to lash out at someone's attitude toward the scenario, then carry on. But you're not helping any...
Old 09-16-2014, 08:04 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
No one is claiming to be perfect.
If you are well intentioned and have difficulty paying the fine that's one thing.
However, this thread is a wink wink nudge nudge to those who would just ignore them.

The OP was not posting this information for any other reason. If the OP or anyone else were to ask for information on how to best facilitate paying their fines they would be bombarded with helpful info.

I doubt the OP would be so smug about germans coming to the US violating our traffic laws with impunity. If you don't want to respect and follow the laws of other countries then stay home.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 09-16-2014, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: '14 F31 328d SportLine
sooner or later you are going to get a letter from Interpol. I got a letter in 1998 from Interpol about an unpaid speeding ticket from 1979 in France. Took them a while apparently to find me. It had a whole breakdown of their procedure. After 10 years in france without paying it went to Germany. But since The car was no longer registered to me they had to backtrack through three other owners which took some time apparently. By that time I had moved to the US so the Germans sent it to the US for follow up. The thing that must have gotten me was getting my Greencard right around that time. At the time I didn't even remember getting the ticket until I saw the copy of the ticket I signed.

I also got a break down of the fine. It was some silly little amount of francs at the time. But with interest and fees charged to process it was a few hundred dollars.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: A big grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangman4358 View Post
sooner or later you are going to get a letter from Interpol. I got a letter in 1998 from Interpol about an unpaid speeding ticket from 1979 in France. Took them a while apparently to find me. It had a whole breakdown of their procedure. After 10 years in france without paying it went to Germany. But since The car was no longer registered to me they had to backtrack through three other owners which took some time apparently. By that time I had moved to the US so the Germans sent it to the US for follow up. The thing that must have gotten me was getting my Greencard right around that time. At the time I didn't even remember getting the ticket until I saw the copy of the ticket I signed.

I also got a break down of the fine. It was some silly little amount of francs at the time. But with interest and fees charged to process it was a few hundred dollars.
Damn, a letter from Interpol is cool enough to make it worth it!
Old 09-16-2014, 08:15 AM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
OP- I enjoyed reading your first post that was written with a good dose of humor. And congrats on your new 'd!!
I was surprised and dismayed by how many people responded without any humor at all (especially the one that condemned your actions for reflecting poorly on bimmerfest)
I'd not worry about the Interpol tracking you down over the next 20 yrs. Unfortunately it looks like they will have more important things to tend to...

Last edited by d geek; 09-16-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZSLA View Post
I was just thinking that! I'd frame that bad boy and put it on my office wall! N4S
Old 09-16-2014, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: A big grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
I was just thinking that! I'd frame that bad boy and put it on my office wall! N4S
The ladies love the bad boys so an internationally recognized miscreant should have great cred.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:27 AM
Ich bin schneller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
If you don't want to respect and follow the laws of other countries then stay home.
Smug attitude aside, OP did say he does not condone speeding. I took his post to be one of anecdotal information to say that upon your return home, should you happen to receive a letter in a language you don't comprehend because you got caught in an obvious speed trap and have no way to contest the infraction, don't quit your day job trying to figure out how to pay it... I did not take it as others have taken it, i.e. that you should just flagrantly speed through the EU.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: '14 F31 328d SportLine
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZSLA View Post
I know! I had it framed for a while. I was just so surprised that they would go so far as to collect 70ish Francs, roughly $25 in today's money.

But then when the kids moved out of the house, we sold the place. No need for such a giant house anymore. Just enough to fit a table for 24 people for family dinners in the dining area. Somewhere along the move I lost it and can't find it. It is probably in a box in the garage..... It will be lost to history if it is there.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 435 vert & X5
Quote:
I wanted to be very clear on my experience, as it's factual. I did not say I got a ticket. I got what looked like a notice to respond.
No actual fine amount was on it.
I guess I missed the part where he changed this to say he got a ticket and a fine with an amount to pay.

Gary J
ED May 6, 2014 thread
435i Convertible Estoril Blue. Dakota Black/Blue M Sport
plus pretty much everything else but Parking Assistant
Old 09-16-2014, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 116i Sportline/5 door
Speedviolation in Germany

Just a recommendation:
Some visitors of foreign countries assume that there is no speedlimit in Germany, nowhere. That is not true!
And one is well advised to pay attention to the speedlimit signs and take care of them. Drivers who drive for the first time on a street without speedlimit should take their time to become used to it and then try to reach the limiter of the car. AND be always prepared to brake hard, if one of slower drivers (or trucks) pull out in your way, otherwise horrible accidents can happend. Especially if one is not a high-speed-experienced driver and got no idea how long the car needs to reduce speed by hard braking.

For all others: Have fun driving fast!!
Old 09-16-2014, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 06 E46 cab
Quote:
I just had my 535d re-delivered, and so I wanted to share one fact since it might of interest to others. Like many, I've driven in Germany (and many other EU countries) in the past by renting a car while there. Like some, I've received "souvenirs" in the mail after the trip from some German municipalities: mine were in German, had a picture of a person looking awfully close to me, and something about the speed limit and something else that could be some other speed that seemed higher than the limit, perhaps related to the person in the picture

I will note that none of them appeared to prescribe something that was euro-denominated (no concrete money sums). My 6th sense told me this was a query to confirm it was me who was in the picture. However, since I do not speak German, I could not be sure, so my M.O. was always to make a copy and send it back together with a nice note asking me to send this to me in English, since obviously my US address should be enough to realize why. I've never received any follow-up, so I've felt the matter to be settled until this ED thing!

So...that's my experience...I do not condone speeding (although in EU they really sprinkle speed limit signs absurdly) nor do I think sending letters in German to US residents is a system that merits much of a defense...just something that I learned...
Thanks for sharing your experience and strategy. I hope your flame suit is working well.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
I received a speeding ticket from France two years ago from a non-ED trip. I didn't pay it right away. When I later realized I would need to be driving in Europe again (and soon) I went to the website in French to pay. It told me (all of this was in French but google translate was sufficient to fill in my gaps) that it was too late and they would send me a follow up note with new instructions. They never did.

I drove around this summer, especially in France, especially when I got stopped at the border, a little nervous. I even had a speech planned out in French about how I tried to pay the ticket and was waiting for the update. I never got to use the speech. I haven't received the follow up.

I suppose if I receive whatever I need to receive to be able to pay it, I will do so. But I didn't want to pay until I knew the rental car company hadn't already done so, hence my delay.

Anyway, maybe it's because I'm a little sensitive on the subject too, but I'm a little surprised by some of the judgmentalism on this topic. I trust none of you has ever fibbed to get out of a ticket in the US, or shifted things around on your taxes, or paid in cash for something for a discount when you knew it was not going to be reported, or bought something online and failed to send the state sales tax if the online merchant never collected it, etc., ad nauseum....
Old 09-17-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcruiser View Post
Anyway, maybe it's because I'm a little sensitive on the subject too, but I'm a little surprised by some of the judgmentalism on this topic. I trust none of you has ever fibbed to get out of a ticket in the US
No, actually I haven't. Because I know that you can't talk yourself out of a ticket, but you can sure talk yourself into one. And I'd rather be a speeder, than a liar...and a speeder.

Quote:
...or shifted things around on your taxes
You lie on your taxes? Who do you expect to pay for the roads we drive on, the police that protect us, or the schools for your children? Someone else?

Quote:
...or paid in cash for something for a discount when you knew it was not going to be reported,
I don't even know what you mean there. Apparently some people expend more energy finding new ways to lie, cheat, and steal, than the rest of us spend simply doing the right thing.

Last edited by ZTR; 09-17-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Closed Thread