Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 03-03-2012, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 318i se 1997
Question BMW 318I SE 1997 Wont start

I need some advice on how to start my Bmw 3 series.was driving ok and no problems with starter or battery when the next day i put key in ignition and nothing at all.Starter motor didnt turn and ignition lights and dash lights all came on.i have an original immobiliser and a remote alarm which does cause the indicator light to stay on which is why i dont use it.People tell me its the immobiliser which has disabled the ignition.Anybody had this problem and have any good advice im all ears.Btw the non BMW alarm system is a SERPI STAR.
Ads by Google
Old 03-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Somebody stop me....

Mein Auto: EW/// 86
Have you checked the battery?
You canít spend all your time worrying about where your next Twinkie is going to come from, so follow rule #32 and Enjoy The Little Things.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:06 PM

Hi thanks for ur reply and yes battery has been charged up by the mechanics that rescued my vehicle as it got discharged from trying immobiliser on/off which drained it.Im assured by mechanic that battery,starter and alternater are good.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:44 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
so does the car crank but not start now (the only way to check the starter is to power it up)??

any codes??

df
Old 03-03-2012, 07:18 PM

Nothing is happening at all ...starter not firing and engine not turning as ignition disabled seemingly from immobiliser or something.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:28 AM
Scotty

Mein Auto: E46 320D
Hello Chezlemonk.

My sister has the same problem and it looks like it is the immobiliser. I locked and unlocked the car with the remote key and eventually, it did start. It's done this twice in the past two weeks. What I did notice is that both times that it started, I had kept the key turned for about 3 seconds and was about to let it go when the starter swung and the engine fired first swing. It's been working fine again for two days now.

Two friends of mine, one with a Ford Bantam and one with some other make, had the same symptoms. One of these cars was 6 and one 10 years old when it happened for the first time. The fault was traced to an old Theft Tracker device that had not been disarmed properly or removed, when the previous owner sold the car. A visit to your local alarm fitment centre should prove/disprove this possibility.

Cheers.