Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-03-2012, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: Future: F80 M3
Rectangular number plates?

Never thought about it before but can we have rectangular number plates (European Plates)instead of those stupid square plates..... The Rectangular plates looks so in place!

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Last edited by DreamCar; 03-03-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-03-2012, 07:25 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCar View Post
Never thought about it before but can we have rectangular number plates (European Plates)instead of those stupid square plates..... The Rectangular plates looks so in place!

Any thoughts or suggestions ?
Unfortunately license plate size is regulated by DOT so the answer is not unless you successfully lobby law makers to change the plate format, or introduce an alternative plate option (like exists for Motorcycles).

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 03-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 M5
I'm not sure the photo I am attaching will appear properly, but a local VW buddy of mine came up with something clever. He had a European plate created with his Maryland plate numbers and put a custom Maryland emblem printed on a vinyl sticker in the center. Apparently this is legal, as he's no stranger to the police.

I've been considering it since I've already been stopped once since I took delivery for not having a front plate. (I haven't bothered installing my Rho-Plate tow hook plate holder yet.) His Euro plate bracket is also held in place with 3M Command tape, as well, for easy, clean removal.

While plate sizes are regulated by DOT, at least for the front of the vehicle, in certain states, this might be an option.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:31 PM
The Driver

I'd be interested in verifying if this is indeed legal, and if it is legal to do it to the rear plate too. I don't have a front plate, but i wouldn't mind changing my back plate to get rid of the State name and "State logo" text.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 03-03-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:34 PM

I cannot vouch for the legality but in some states the laws are ambiguously vague. For example, a close friend in North Carolina (who is an attorney) said that in his state all that is required is the letters "NC" or "North Carolina" and you can literally have any plate design, as long as your expiration stickers are displayed and the numbers correspond to the plate that is legally issued to your car. He's going to attempt this very thing, with NC XXXXXX as the design.

Why do you have Montana plates? I could've sworn you lived in Florida.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:35 PM

I came up with this
http://www.customeuropeanplates.com/...ates-c-35.html

They have separate plates for each state which include the emblems.

Did your friend had those plates on the rear too?

Are we gonna get a warning ? tickets? for not following these rules? well the number is legal its just the size of the plate!

No front plate and wrong plate size.. I hope i wont piss off the police folks

Last edited by DreamCar; 03-03-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I came up with this
http://www.customeuropeanplates.com/...ates-c-35.html

They have separate plates for each state which include the emblems.

Did your friend had those plates on the rear too?

Are we gonna get a warning ? tickets? for not following these rules? well the number is legal its just the size of the plate!
I'm not familiar with the legality of this. I'd consult an attorney or someone who is familiar with the laws in your state before proceeding.

He has regular plates on the rear of his vehicle. He said it's primarily because his GTI has the NA bumper, with a smaller recess for the plate. He's contemplated bringing over a European rear bumper with a wider recess but has yet not done so.

BMW doesn't have this issue.

I find the whole front plate thing to be very stupid. I do not see a reason for it. Most automated (and non-automated) enforcement for traffic violations, speed cameras, parking, etc. always approach your vehicle from the rear. Someone in MD State legislature was supposed to introduce a bill to drop the requirement. I hope they do.

Prior to taking delivery I instructed my CA very clearly - in no uncertain terms - that I would not take delivery if a front plate bracket was present. Needless to say, there was none. Hopefully they drop the requirement while I still have this vehicle.

In the interim, as I mentioned above, I ordered a Rho-Plate tow hook license plate holder.

Last edited by wdimagineer; 03-03-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:47 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
I'm not sure the photo I am attaching will appear properly, but a local VW buddy of mine came up with something clever. He had a European plate created with his Maryland plate numbers and put a custom Maryland emblem printed on a vinyl sticker in the center. Apparently this is legal, as he's no stranger to the police.

I've been considering it since I've already been stopped once since I took delivery for not having a front plate. (I haven't bothered installing my Rho-Plate tow hook plate holder yet.) His Euro plate bracket is also held in place with 3M Command tape, as well, for easy, clean removal.

While plate sizes are regulated by DOT, at least for the front of the vehicle, in certain states, this might be an option.
I looked into doing the same thing myself, but I decided it would probably just draw attention to myself, so I drilled two holes in my bumper and installed my actual state plate instead.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)

Last edited by dunderhi; 03-03-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:47 PM
The Driver

I just did my plate with the website that dreamcar linked.

It looks really awesome especially with the state flag.

However I think this would draw too much attention to oneself. I can just imagine someone calling the State Troopers and saying there's this crazy dude in a BMW bombing up the interstate with European plates. He's speeding and might be a spy.

In fact what I might really need is this.

2014 ///M5 Individual

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 03-03-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:57 PM

For some reason i am thinking it might fly, since they have state emblems on them... I am gonna order these once i have my registration plates... well for the heck of it ....i would at least use them until i get my first ticket.

Square plates really looks stupid especially after seeing those European plates on

Last edited by DreamCar; 03-03-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post

In fact what I might really need is this.

I liked it but i still need it in rectangular size.....Size matters
Old 03-03-2012, 08:01 PM
The Driver

Quote:
I liked it but i still need it in rectangular size.....Size matters
They make a rectangular one too!

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 03-03-2012, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
love these kinds of plates. wish we used them in the states.

Proud BMW owner.[img]https://*******************/fitness/upload/40/a/reading.gif[/img] Been driving BMW for as long as I could drive.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:12 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny.foye View Post
love these kinds of plates. wish we used them in the states.
That's the point though - that is an American plate. It is a MD plate hence the MD crest.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 03-03-2012, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
I've already been stopped once since I took delivery for not having a front plate.
lol I think they're just hating on you and the nice car , because I haven't had a front plate on my beater since 2007, when I nailed a semi-truck playing with an ipod. The only person to ever mention something was an off duty cop at bestbuy I think late 08/09 who said it might be a good idea to get it put on.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:25 PM
The Driver

This might do the trick for front plate states.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 03-04-2012, 04:27 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2012 535i White M Sport
My front plate is from http://www.customeuropeanplates.com. The shipping was relatively quick and the plate is of good quality.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport Xdrive
Quote:
This might do the trick for front plate states.
I have the Swift hide away plate (non-motorized). Although a plate is required in NJ I know most of the local law enforcement in my town so drive with it hidden on the weekends, slide it back up for my commute on weekdays..

Current:
2014 BMW 535i Xdrive Msport Dark Graphite/Mocha Nappa
Tinted Side/Rear Reflectors|Black Chrome Emblems|M Rear Spoiler|Rear Sunshade| Carbon Fiber Fender Trim | LCI M5 Grilles | M Performance Exhaust Tips
2010 Volkswagen CC 2.0T DSG Island Gray/Black
Retired:
2011 BMW 535i Xdrive DSB/Venetian Beige
Old 03-04-2012, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550ix M-Sport/Din S2
Some states re- issue the same plate numbers/letters repeatedly using various theme plates (i.e. environment, cancer, golf, educatiion, special olympics, etc.)

That said, I doubt whether local authorities would tolerare a custom European-style rectangular plate, as it would cause confusion as to whom the plate numbers/letters belong to (especially when photographed by a speed cam.)

However, they may tolerate a custom front plate if one uses their original plate on the rear.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:07 AM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detrick View Post
Some states re- issue the same plate numbers/letters repeatedly using various theme plates (i.e. environment, cancer, golf, educatiion, special olympics, etc.)

That said, I doubt whether local authorities would tolerare a custom European-style rectangular plate, as it would cause confusion as to whom the plate numbers/letters belong to (especially when photographed by a speed cam.)

However, they may tolerate a custom front plate if one uses their original plate on the rear.
The challenge with these is that even if they are legal, the police officers are not the most knowledgeable guys when it comes to the finer details of the highway code. So you may get a ticket which can be thrown out in court, but having to deal with it is a pain.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 03-04-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
The challenge with these is that even if they are legal, the police officers are not the most knowledgeable guys when it comes to the finer details of the highway code. So you may get a ticket which can be thrown out in court, but having to deal with it is a pain.
I thought it will be a warning or fine ??? Is it a ticketed offense?
Old 03-04-2012, 12:17 PM
The Driver

Quote:
I thought it will be a warning or fine ??? Is it a ticketed offense?
No probably just warning or fix it ticket. You may even get let go with nothing once you explain it is a legitimate plate.

The problem is that being stopped is annoying.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 03-04-2012, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 528i
Laws vary by state. However, I can answer the question for anyone in NJ.....they are not legal.

39:3-38. Counterfeiting or using other markers; placement of forged or counterfeit plate on motor vehicle; revocation of license; fine
No person shall counterfeit a number plate or marker or make a substitute or temporary marker, under penalty of revocation of such person's driver's license for a period not to exceed 6 months, or a fine of not less than $50.00 nor more than $100.00.

No person shall use a marker other than the one issued to him by the commissioner, except as provided in R.S. 39:3-15, under penalty of a fine of not less than $25.00 nor more than $50.00.

No person shall cause to be placed a forged or counterfeit license plate on any motor vehicle, under penalty of revocation of such person's driver's license for a period not to exceed 6 months, or a fine of not less than $50.00 nor more than $100.00, or both.

Amended by L.1979, c. 173, s. 1, eff. Aug. 27, 1979.

**39:3-15 refers to tags issued by another state (touring priviledges) and registered in another state, if you were wondering.
2011 BMW 528i- Black Saphire Metallic, Black Leather, Prem. Package, Prem. Package 2, Convenience Package, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package,Sport Auto Trans, Anthracite Wood & Headliner, Xenon Lights, Split Fold-down Seats.

Last edited by romeofrosty; 03-04-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: 0000
Out here in CA we get fix a tickets which are around $25.00 for not having plates
Old 03-04-2012, 05:53 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDM View Post
Out here in CA we get fix a tickets which are around $25.00 for not having plates
That's a bargain. I would just have no plates like the late Steve Jobs.

2014 ///M5 Individual